The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 39

User Info Menu

Feeling like I've hit a dead end with guitars (I'm sure many here have)

So I just got my ar371 back from the shop, having them put a SD '59 in. It has 12 chromes. I honestly feel pretty underwhelmed. It just sounds and feels dead. Not that they are designed for everlasting sustain or great elrctric sound, but I was hoping for something a little better. It just doesn't seem to have much body; too bright.
    I've gone through a bunch of guitars in the last two years including:
    Yamaha AE1200 (should have kept that one ugh)
    Univox Barney Kessel
    Aria Pro Herb Ellis
    Ibanez AM93
    Ibanez AF75
    Cort Source
    Several solids including tele and LP.
    And this Eastman.

The only one that is cutting it is the Cort and it's not even a true archtop.
    I'm pretty much fine with just playing the Cort (maybe my favorite guitar) "except for the situations where I gotta play a bit classier looking instrument."

Should I give the Eastman some more time or move on?
    An Epi 175 or Cort Yorktown would be my next choices but getting a little tired of the game.
    Last edited by arielcee; 01-26-2020 at 04:04 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Just get a semi or a solidbody and get on with life. Some people just don't like acoustic archtop guitars, and that's okay. I'm not a fan of solidbodies nor of semis, but I understand why others are.

User Info Menu

Ariel, have you played an L5 or an Eagle? Or if you must have a laminate top try--of all things--the earlier version of the Gretsch 6122-1959 (circa 2005-2015 with trestle bracing--not the "vintage select") or the final edition of the 6122-1958 (circa 2005-2015; also has trestle bracing). You should be able to shape the tone with string guages. Gretsch also makes a G400 Synchromatic and a much less expensive but similar version that I can't name at the moment. The archtops will be fundamentally bright because they were intended to punch through the band, which you've probably already considered. It's unlikely you'll get what you're after from the cheapy archtops. Maybe you've already played the better ones I mentioned, but I just happened to see your post and thought that I'd chime in. * Do you have a good amp? k

User Info Menu

So seriously, we all know the whole "having the same gear as your idols won't make you sound like them" but who has a sound you really like?

User Info Menu

sounds like you need to check out an old usa made guitar...doesn't have to be gibby....check out old harmonys, regals or kays...mr. b just put up a vid of him on a kay..great!

think about it

cheers

ps- many have pressed spruce tops! kinda interesting!
    Last edited by neatomic; 01-25-2020 at 12:07 AM. Reason: typ-

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    So seriously, we all know the whole "having the same gear as your idols won't make you sound like them" but who has a sound you really like?
    Well honestly Herb Ellis. Esp his Aria pro era. Lol...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    sounds like you need to check out an old usa made guitar...doesn't have to be gibby....check out old harmonys, regals or kays...mr. b just put up a vid of him on a kay..great!

think about it

cheers

ps- many have pressed spruce tops! kinda interesting!
    My first guitar. A Harmony Rocket! I miss that one....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by arielcee
    An Epi 175 or Cort Yorktown would be my next choices but getting a little tired of the game.
    I wouldn't give up on the Eastman. Have you played the guitar with a combo yet? Or in a big room so you can open it up?

I played the AR371 for a few years, sold it about 18 months ago and missed it. So I just bought a new last week. Most agree the stock pick-up doesn't cut it. I put a Fralin P92 in the first 371 and it was very rich and round. I was very pleased ... would likely have installed another in the new 371 but the tone that Rob MacKillop is getting with his Creamery Charlie Christian inspired me to order one. I also have an Eastman T386. It has the stock Kent Armstrong pick-ups, but in a semi-hollow body, the tone is great. I wouldn't change out the pups in that guitar.

The 371 has been discontinued, another reason to consider holding on to it and continuing to experiment with pups, and strings.
    Last edited by Bflat233; 01-25-2020 at 01:32 AM.

User Info Menu

Eastman makes better Carved Archtops than laminate ones in my opinion. The build is way too light for my tonal preference. Maybe get a used Herb Ellis Gibson with the built-in Humbucking pickup.
    If you can afford it get one of the later ES-175 they are a heavier build vs. The early ones.

User Info Menu

My second AR371 came alive with a BG Pups Pure90. Transformed the guitar. I remember being surprised the day my 1954 ES-125 arrived because they sounded quite similar to one another.

User Info Menu

You nailed it when you said you should have kept the Yamaha AE1200. It was a far superior guitar to an Eastman AR371.

Where do you go from the Eastman? Hmmm, if you can afford twice the price I'd suggest keeping an eye out for a good buy on a Heritage, but on average they've become very very expensive, relative to the old days. Best buy today would be in a Gibson ES175 which can be had for below $3k.

User Info Menu

A bit pricier than those you've tried, but I think it's worth checking out a used Collings Eastside LC or Eastside Jazz LC. Good deals can be found on Reverb. And with Collings you know the build quality is top notch and consistent. There's one at $3,750 on Reverb currently, which is a good deal, but still a lot of money so I understand if you prefer to look for something that costs less.

I often practice on my Eastside Jazz LC without an amp - pretty impressive for a 15" x 1 1/16" width guitar. I've got other guitars with wider nuts than this thing is deep and yet this one sounds huge.

User Info Menu

You have a guitar you like to play and it has a good sound. Ain't that a bummer?

User Info Menu

Well honestly Herb Ellis. Esp his Aria pro era. Lol...
    Well hmmm...what kind of amp are you using?

User Info Menu

Hey maybe the best jazz guitar FOR YOU ain’t a hollow body. Maybe a tele, les Paul or a strat will be Your Baby. Don’t feel you have to use what all us old guys use.
    Good luck

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Well hmmm...what kind of amp are you using?
    Strings can make a difference too... what you like on one guitar may not work at all for another. For example, I prefer completely different strings, amp and settings for archtop than for solidbody.

User Info Menu

Feeling like I've hit a dead end with guitars (I'm sure many here have)

So I just got my ar371 back from the shop, having them put a SD '59 in. I honestly feel pretty underwhelmed. It kust sounds and feels dead. Not that they are designed for everlasting sustain or great elrctric sound, but I was hoping for something a little better. It just doesn't seem to have much body; too bright.
    I've gone through a bunch of guitars in the last two years including:
    Yamaha AE1200 (should have kept that one ugh)
    Univox Barney Kessel
    Aria Pro Herb Ellis
    Ibanez AM93
    Ibanez AF75
    Cort Source
    And this Eastman.

The only one that is cutting it is the Cort and it's not even a true archtop.
    I'm pretty much fine with just playing the Cort (maybe my favorite guitar) "except for the situations where I gotta play a bit classier looking instrument."

hey the Cort source looks great ....
    what kind of gigs do you need a classier looking guitar for ?
    id take that guitar anywhere !

User Info Menu

Just back from the shop and you can tell?

More than I can do. I've loved and hated the same gear in different sets on the same night. My usual guitar, which I like a lot, sounds like crap when I play with this other guy who uses a Tele and a Strat and sounds great. But, when I play those guitars, I like my usual (Comins GCS-1) better. And, what sounds good at home, or in a solo guitar situation may sound awful with a combo. Not that the grass is always greener -- it's also every other color on the far side of the fence.

The point I'm trying to make is that maybe it would be helpful to live with it for awhile.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pingu
    hey the Cort source looks great ....
    what kind of gigs do you need a classier looking guitar for ?
    id take that guitar anywhere !
    Well 1920s-30s swing. The leader has let me get away with the cort, but I know she wants the look and I can totally understand.

User Info Menu

Yamaha G50ii 112.

I'm just slightly surprised at how much of the acoustic sound comes through. It almost sounds like a manouche swing guitar. Even with chrome 12s.

User Info Menu

My luthier made miracles both with my Epi Joe Pass and Eastman 371. Be sure you have a good luthier.
    Regarding sound, frets polishing do matter, up to 5000 or more.

But as a simple diagnostic fact, (because of you have many instruments what are not satisfiing) it worth to consider is there any common mistake what you actually do on all of them, like lowering the action just under the optimal. I do not mean fret buzz, instead the tipical dead sound. It is an easy experiment to higher the action and examine the sound difference. An other common cause could be your string usage/preferences. Worth to try some high quality set both roundwound and flatwound.

Eastman 371 should not sound dead, instead a dry, singing and elegant sound both acoustically and thru amp.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gabor
    My luthier made miracles both with my Epi Joe Pass and Eastman 371. Be sure you have a good luthier.
    Regarding sound, frets polishing do matter, up to 5000 or more.

But as a simple diagnostic fact, (because of you have many instruments what are not satisfiing) it worth to consider is there any common mistake what you actually do on all of them, like lowering the action just under the optimal. I do not mean fret buzz, instead the tipical dead sound. It is an easy experiment to higher the action and examine the sound difference. An other common cause could be your string usage/preferences. Worth to try some high quality set both roundwound and flatwound.

Eastman 371 should not sound dead, instead a dry, singing and elegant sound both acoustically and thru amp.
    Took your advice and raised the action a little. Wow. Noticeable improvement. Still pretty bright but better.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar
    Just back from the shop and you can tell?

More than I can do. I've loved and hated the same gear in different sets on the same night. My usual guitar, which I like a lot, sounds like crap when I play with this other guy who uses a Tele and a Strat and sounds great. But, when I play those guitars, I like my usual (Comins GCS-1) better. And, what sounds good at home, or in a solo guitar situation may sound awful with a combo. Not that the grass is always greener -- it's also every other color on the far side of the fence.

The point I'm trying to make is that maybe it would be helpful to live with it for awhile.
    This is why I have too many guitars.

User Info Menu

I assume you play with a pick. The right pick can really warm up the tone, particularly thicker picks. I really like the D’Andrea Pro Plec pick in the 351 shape: PRO PLEC – 351 SHAPE – D'Andrea USA. Give that pick a try along with a set of flat wound strings like D’Addario flat wound chromes: ECG25 Chromes Flat Wound | Electric Guitar Strings | D'Addario. You might consider moving up a gauge or two on the first and second strings to get a fatter tone. These are relatively inexpensive changes to try.

User Info Menu

Took your advice and raised the action a little. Wow. Noticeable improvement. Still pretty bright but better.
    ...then raise more... :-)

Regarding still too bright: Pick matters. Try jazz picks like below. You may have some loss of articulation and loss on control volume nuances, but will be less bight for sure. The main benefit is on the high E and B (supposing you are using a set with wound G, which is also recommended)

Striking out on archtops...-2020-01-26-10-46-52-jpg