The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 47 of 47
    The Spark 4 knob version came yesterday. Hooked it up to the ToneMaster Twin. Grabbed the 2016 Memphis 175. First impression- nice boost on the clean setting of the Fat-Clean-Mid switch. Turn down the gain and level - better but I prefer the sound of the 175 straight into the twin. I guess this is what y’all mean by articulation as the Spark kinda smears? the sound. Very slight as if the attack slope of the note is slowed a little. Not a deal breaker and assume I’ll be able to dial it in after I learn the pedal and the amps interaction.

Then I plugged in the Strat. Oh goodness! It’s like a new guitar. This Strat has the relatively low output, 6.7k, Fender 57/62 reissue non reverse wound or reverse polarity pickups that I position almost decked to the scratch plate. The Spark mid boost is creamy dreamy! It adds a whole new sonic frontier.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TedBPhx
    The Spark 4 knob version came yesterday. Hooked it up to the ToneMaster Twin. Grabbed the 2016 Memphis 175. First impression- nice boost on the clean setting of the Fat-Clean-Mid switch. Turn down the gain and level - better but I prefer the sound of the 175 straight into the twin. I guess this is what y’all mean by articulation as the Spark kinda smears? the sound. Very slight as if the attack slope of the note is slowed a little. Not a deal breaker and assume I’ll be able to dial it in after I learn the pedal and the amps interaction.

Then I plugged in the Strat. Oh goodness! It’s like a new guitar. This Strat has the relatively low output, 6.7k, Fender 57/62 reissue non reverse wound or reverse polarity pickups that I position almost decked to the scratch plate. The Spark mid boost is creamy dreamy! It adds a whole new sonic frontier.
    Good review. I might have to try one up against the Xotic EP.

User Info Menu

I will use my EQ as a Boost Fish&Chips. If I want a dirty boost I use a OD or Fuzz type pedal If I want more sparkle or clarity I will use a compressor each of these has a volume control to help with Boost.

User Info Menu

The TC Spark when I've used is more literally a boost like its advertised the Xotic EP Boost is so wicked that I've entertained getting two of them! It has such a nice mild drive to it that I've found myself just leaving it on all the time as a upper low mid boost of warmth to the tone. I also find it pushes my Princeton amp just enough that I can get that mojo tone at way lower volumes which is great for jamming on the home front.

I also got the Xotic compressor post this which does a good job of many of the things you want with out entirely squashing the signal (unless you want it to)

Big fan of the Xotic stuff, I'd like to try some of their pickups in the near future...

RF

User Info Menu

I play a tele with 2 seymour duncan SH1N humbuckers on a deluxe reverb.
    Still I feel the top (1st and 2nd string) might need some fattening (warmth).
    One of these 2 pedals might be helpfull.
    Which one is the best for my needs. Just clean, don't need grit or distortion.

thanks,

Stefaan

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gitaarklas
    I play a tele with 2 seymour duncan SH1N humbuckers on a deluxe reverb.
    Still I feel the top (1st and 2nd string) might need some fattening (warmth).
    One of these 2 pedals might be helpfull.
    Which one is the best for my needs. Just clean, don't need grit or distortion.

thanks,

Stefaan
    First, I own and use both pedals.

Second, it's very difficult to fatten ONLY the top 2 strings.

BUT- IMO, if that's the specific job I was trying to accomplish, I would get the EP Booster, and set the internal dip switches to "vintage" (this is how I leave mine anyway). And, if you want to do it on the cheap, you could go to Amazon and get a Mosky XP Boost- it's a clone of the EP. And I can verify this, because I own one of those as well (I have 4 pedalboards, for different applications./amps).

The XP does "something"... unexplainable... I love the Spark Boost, and it's a better "EQ" pedal, but the EP does something intangible to the tone. I really can't explain it. But, for jazz tones, and for "fattening the plain strings", I recommend the EP Booster. 1 knob, done. The only caveat is: it IS a boost pedal, and doesn't have a level control (the TC has a gain and a level control), so it WILL make the sound louder, by design. Which would mean to keep the same volume, you will have to turn your amp down a little. How much depends on how high you run the knob on the EP booster.

User Info Menu

I agree 100% with "ruger9". I have a similar set-up to yours, except I have a G&L Tele with SH1s into a Deluxe. The EP is a nice "thickener." I actually keep the knob turned all the way down, so I don't get much level change when it's engaged. However, it's an "always on" pedal with my Tele, so I can easily compensate for the slight level change with my guitar volume. Good luck!

User Info Menu

My experience: I have the spark mini and I love it. My number one use for it though isn’t really a jazz thing. I use spark and a delay pedal (Boss dd-500) through my Vox AC10 for a really good U2 tone. It gives what is usually a very dirty amp a ton of clean headroom. Small side effect: gets loud! And certainly also good for the regular clean boost so others can hear your solos...

User Info Menu

Xotic Sweet Boost pedal !

A year in and my initial impression hasn’t changed, love the Spark on the Strat - don’t use it for the 175 both into the ToneMaster Twin.

User Info Menu

I like Spark mid boost going into my Princeton with my ES 175. It flattens the curve of the scoop.
    I also have TubeScreamers for that purpose. Spark in the mid boost setting has a less exaggerated and less compressed mid boost than TS pedals. Both can be good. Scoop can be good too. Good to have options.

User Info Menu

I am also an ES175 into a Princeton guy and I also use a Spark. It does the job.

User Info Menu

Big fan of the EP Booster. With the internal bright switch 'on', it's fairly flat. That said and as said in posts above, the EP is not meant to be completely transparent.

I'm sure the full size Spark will be good. I had a mini Spark and it was a good transparent boost. I just like what the EP does even when just using it as a solo booster.

User Info Menu

Xotic Sweet Boost pedal has 5 dip switches and a chip used in a Tube Screamer circuit that just warms everything up nicely !

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jads57
    Xotic Sweet Boost pedal has 5 dip switches and a chip used in a Tube Screamer circuit that just warms everything up nicely !
    Yes I just discovered these two yesterday- the Super Sweet Boost and the Super Clean Boost. I actually got so excited by the SS that I ordered one. I love my EP Booster, but it would be nice to have a little more control (more dipswitches) when using the pedal on different amps, or with different guitars. And I hate EQ pedals- I have tried them many times, and have never gotten along with them. The Xotic stuff I have tried over the years has been great- ALL of it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rfmando
    The TC Spark when I've used is more literally a boost like its advertised the Xotic EP Boost is so wicked that I've entertained getting two of them! It has such a nice mild drive to it that I've found myself just leaving it on all the time as a upper low mid boost of warmth to the tone. I also find it pushes my Princeton amp just enough that I can get that mojo tone at way lower volumes which is great for jamming on the home front.

I also got the Xotic compressor post this which does a good job of many of the things you want with out entirely squashing the signal (unless you want it to)

Big fan of the Xotic stuff, I'd like to try some of their pickups in the near future...

RF
    I have been looking for a post-overdrive solo booster and been wondering what would the Xotic SP compressor be like.

Can You make it to boost without compressing too much?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Herbie
    I have been looking for a post-overdrive solo booster and been wondering what would the Xotic SP compressor be like.

Can You make it to boost without compressing too much?
    For an after-dirt solo booster, the Full-sized Spark is the best I have found. But there's a caveat:

It depends on how you are running your amp. If you are running your amp clean, and it still has lots of headroom, putting the Spark after your dirt box will achieve what you desire. But if you are running the amp breaking up some already, THEN you step on a dirt box... you might run out of headroom running into the front of the amp: you'll get more gain, but not more volume. To remedy this, and this is what I do, I run the Spark in the effects loop of the amp. You'll get all the volume boost you need that way.

Also, running it in the effects loop gives you zero to very little compression.

FYI, I've owned alot of compressors over the years. I know the SP is popular, but I wasn't a fan. My favorite compressors were the Barber Tone Press and the Keeley 4-knob. Any compressor I use MUST have a clean blend... that's the key in achieve SUBTLE compression.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jads57
    Xotic Sweet Boost pedal !
    I play a strat. The Sweet Boost sounds great and so does this;

It's a low gain Fender style pedal. I don't know how it would do with an archtop.

User Info Menu

For a clean boost I use a Nobels OD

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by garybaldy
    For a clean boost I use a Nobels OD
    Interesting;

I've gone down the rabbit hole and just got a Boss GT 1000 Core modeler. I don't like digital gain, drive, fuzz, etc.. For everything else it's great. I have a Kingsley Page on the way.
    It's a low gain 'Dumble' type drive. For solid state the Xotic RC Boost sounds nifty.

This is my drive pedal;

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stevebol
    Interesting;

I've gone down the rabbit hole and just got a Boss GT 1000 Core modeler. I don't like digital gain, drive, fuzz, etc.. For everything else it's great. I have a Kingsley Page on the way.
    It's a low gain 'Dumble' type drive. For solid state the Xotic RC Boost sounds nifty.

This is my drive pedal;

All my stuff is budget! Here's my rock/pop board. (My only board).
    It's terrific. It never ceases to amaze me.TC Spark or Xotic EP?-20200806_143502-jpg

User Info Menu

Empress ParaEQ with Boost or MXR 10-band EQ or for something simpler and cheaper MXR Micro Amp+