The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 47

User Info Menu

Want a boost pedal ‘cuz all the cool kidz use ‘em. Bought one of those green tube screamers a couple of years ago, took it back within an hour of getting it home. That’s not me. But I want... something. The new TMTwin doesn’t need much, really. The HOF is not as good as the built-in, for spring emulation anyway. The MXR 10 band gathers dust.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

The EP booster might be more versatile because it has internal dip switches to tweak the EQ. I have an EP Booster and basically leave it on the whole time.

User Info Menu

What kinda guitars are you going to play into that thing, and what kind sounds are you after?

I'm a long time ep booster fan. 18v for me. But most people that like it tend to play thinner, brighter sounding guitars, like strats. It adds some low mid warmth that may or may not work for archtops or humbuckers.

175 and a Strat. Mostly the Gibson but I do enjoy the Strat.

User Info Menu

You trying to push your amp, you want a clean boost, a dirty boost, or just some warmth and coloration?

User Info Menu

Got the Xotic EP because many forumites like it.

Hate it.

With EQ on it adds midrange to cut through. I prefer a scooped sound most times.. flat sometimes.. but never a midrange boost with an archtop. With EQ off, it's just a clean boost. Something you don't need to spend over $100 for.

Quote Originally Posted by feet
    You trying to push your amp, you want a clean boost, a dirty boost, or just some warmth and coloration?
    Clean for the archtop a little warmth and color for the Strat.

User Info Menu

I sometimes use a Boss GE7 as a boost pedal for solos, usually just flat with the volume slider just a little above the notch. Easier than turning the volume control up and down, and you know what volume you'll get. The JR Barnyard does much the same, but does color the tone a little, depending on the settings. Almost any preamp will work as a boost, although I would want one that can be engaged/disengaged with a button push. I use the GE7 because I have it.

User Info Menu

Mooer Pure Boost (or cheaper but the same thing: Donner Boost Killer) they say they are Xotic RC Boost clones, don't know.

I had the Xotic EP first. Charms when you get it but soon gets ... cheesy ... in lack of a better word. Like fake vanilla sauce... like we all thought in the 80s there must be an Aural Exciter in our studio rack, you get so sick of it.
    And the thing with the dip switches is a joke.

Bought a couple of the Donner things and one is always with me. Bass, treble, drive and volume control, true bypass. From super clean boost to Scofield like crunch and a lot in between. And a real sound control +/- some 12 db or so.

Buy it cheap @ Donnerdeals from China. (no affiliation)

The Donner looks interesting. Thanks!

User Info Menu

It sounds like you want both. The ep booster for the strat and the rc booster for the archtop. The ep for color, warmth and maybe a little grit and the rc for the eq and clean boost. They don't really over lap, sadly.

The pure boost wasn't bad. You can get a clean boost, or cut a little to compensate for the amp warming up or keep things tight or too bright. Or punch up a dull amp, maybe add a little gain. The rc booster is a very modified tube screamer, I believe. No mid bump, much cleaner, etc.

The ep booster is an always on, secret sauce kinda of thing. But that is sometimes redundant with an archtop. But there are alternatives. Chase tone secret preamp is a more boutique version, a guy in Australia makes one too. The em drive is similar with the low mid bump in a slightly higher place.

Or maybe one of xotic's newer offerings are for you? The really clean and really sweet; dip switches are on the outside now.

User Info Menu

I love the EP Boost for a Tele and a Strat. As is said by others above, even when turned all the way down, it adds a nice thickness to your tone (just like a Echoplex would). I also agree that with my 175 or 335 it can be too much and even muddy up my tone. The EP boost is not transparent, but is very natural and musical.

User Info Menu

Either an Xotic Sweet Boost or a T.C. Jauernig Luxury Drive pedal is what you want. The Sweet Boost has chip in it that makes a difference!
    Another option is the Lighthouse Boost by Seafoam pedals. 3 way tone switch and 3 way clean, light od, mid od settings.

User Info Menu

I have a Spark booster. It's one of the most versatile boosters in the market. It's almost like an EQ pedal. A switch to add mid boost or bass boost if needed. Separate treble and bass controls. And optional light overdrive. Without mid or bass boost, it's very transparent.

User Info Menu

I've owned both, and imo the EP is a nice little boost, but the Spark outclasses it in every way. It's simply more controllable, and therefore more versatile. I you love the the EQ the EP has built into it, then great. But the Spark allows you much more adjustment to get the "just right" tone you want. And from Xotic, the RC Booster would be the compare (altho I also like the Spark better than the RC).

And if you get the Spark, don't bother with the mini- get the full-size version, because it's the only one with that kind of versatility.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DonEsteban
    And the thing with the dip switches is a joke.
    How so? Please elaborate. I'm in the market for a clean boost and wouldn't mind finding out more.

Thanks.

User Info Menu

Well, inside the housing there are two dip switches doing some fixed parameter EQ-ing.
    One is a +3 dB boost and one is a bright switch.

You have to unscrew the bottom of the device (4 Phillips screws) to access them, that's why I called it a joke.

Here is the manual: https://xotic.us/wp-content/uploads/...ter_manual.pdf

User Info Menu

Time to start experimenting and going down the Money Rathole,lol!

User Info Menu

If you care for technical info look here:

freestompboxes.org • View topic - Xotic EP-Booster

User Info Menu

Here's a good intro video to boost pedals by Josh Scott of JHS pedals:

I'm a jazz player and also do a fair amount of pit orchestra work. I find the EP to be super useful. (And I've never messed with the dip switches since I purchased it.)

User Info Menu

I am going to second viewing the JHS youtube videos if you haven't already. That guy is all about pedals.

User Info Menu

I'm not sure what you want from boost pedal. To colour guitar sound or? Or regular solo boost or?

Edit:

There are like literally 10 types of boost pedals. You can use them for different things. I'm not sure for which use do you want boost pedal. XD

You have like gain boost - MXR Micro Amp. You can get only volume boost pedal like Catalinbread Super Chili Picoso.
    You can have volume and gain boost like TubeScreamer or MAB overdrive.
    You can have boost to colour sound, like 10 EQ pedals.
    You can have midrange and gain boost like Suhr Koko stuff.

Tons of pedals for tons of options.
    Be precise.

Edit:

What do you miss in solo? Gain? Volume? Midrange? Two of it? 3 of it?
    What do you want for boost pedal to do?
    Last edited by Mecena; 01-25-2020 at 02:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jads57
    Time to start experimenting and going down the Money Rathole,lol!
    ordered the big body Spark. They are available for a little less than a hundred at Amazon and others.

User Info Menu

Luckily, I don't need boost pedal.
    But the best one I've heard was combo of two.
    One guy which did I know in past, did use MXR Micro amp with that Super Chili pedal.
    Two of them in same time.
    He had solo MIDI stuff, so in solo this two were on. That was like the best solo boost pedal combo which I've heard.
    This two together. Just simple gain and volume boost. Nothing more then that.
    I've seen people use like Tubescreamer only , some did use stuff like Boss EQ pedal.
    But MXR Micro and Super Chili together in MIDI stuff. That was the best which I've ever heard.
    If I wanted like pure boost pedal, I would to that, this 2 together.
    Shame there is no pedal which would combine this 2 together in one .....

For me, TC Spark is more transparent than Xotic EP Booster. I have the Spark Booster and it is very versatile.