User Info Menu

Recently, while looking for strings for my 1933 Kalamazoo KG-11 flat-top guitar, I stumbled on these -- GHS Vintage Bronze Acoustic Guitar Strings. I tried a boatload of other stuff and I didn't quite like them as much as these GHS. Since they don't get a lot of sexy ad-play, I thought I'd mention it to you fellas. The Kalamazoo KG-11 is a smaller guitar so my guess is that they would work well on L-0, L-00, Waterloo WG-14 and such. As they say YMMV -- but if anyone's had any experience with these, I'd like to hear from you!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by archtopeddy
    Recently, while looking for strings for my 1933 Kalamazoo KG-11 flat-top guitar, I stumbled on these -- GHS Vintage Bronze Acoustic Guitar Strings. I tried a boatload of other stuff and I didn't quite like them as much as these GHS. Since they don't get a lot of sexy ad-play, I thought I'd mention it to you fellas. The Kalamazoo KG-11 is a smaller guitar so my guess is that they would work well on L-0, L-00, Waterloo WG-14 and such. As they say YMMV -- but if anyone's had any experience with these, I'd like to hear from you!
    And I've got GHS VBS on my 30s Kalamazoo v-neck archtop. They sound great and hold their tuning and just seem to last and last. Never had a problem with GHS strings!

User Info Menu

Back when I was playing a lot of disco show stuff I used to use GHS Boomers 10s and changed 'em every day. They were like $3 or something ridiculous like that back then.
    Last edited by Woody Sound; 01-23-2020 at 05:52 PM.

User Info Menu

the ghs vintage bronze are ghs' warmest sounding acoustic bronze string...its an 85/15 copper based ratio...so somewhere in between true "vintage" 80/20 bronze and the later phosphor bronze..which is 92/8 copper

ghs is great usa string company..excellent company to deal with and has been around over 50 years

cheers

User Info Menu

Thanks fellas for the inputs. I also have a 35' Gibson L-30 archtop and it's similar in a lot of ways to the 33' Kalamazoo KG-11. Since I have a few sets of the GHS VBS here, I think the L-30 might be the next candidate. I think as neatomic points out, it's a warmer set of strings and seems to work well with the small body guitars and to my ear helps to bring out a better tone on the KG-11.