The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 20 of 20

User Info Menu

Hello all

I just got a Djangobucker pickup for my selmer style guitar. It just has a 1/4" plug at the end of a long chord.

I'd like to switch it over to a jack that I can velcro on the guitar where the endpin would be (so I can semi permanently mount it but take it off easily if I need to).

I can't seem to find a 1/4" jack with any sort of velcro attachment. One of my piezo pickups has something but it's sort of a rube goldberg collection of pieces.

Is there such a thing? Basically a 1/4" jack permanently or semi permanently attached to a velco pad?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

It's not that hard to wrap some sticky-back Velcro around a jack. You can buy it in a variety of widths, in both hook and loop.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    It's not that hard to wrap some sticky-back Velcro around a jack. You can buy it in a variety of widths, in both hook and loop.
    Or even use some adhesive to more permanently attach the velcro to the jack.

User Info Menu

Some of the Velcro I've used has very strong adhesive. The products made for outdoor use, billed as "extreme", have adhesive that is stronger than almost any other pliable adhesive I've found. It's at least as strong as the strongest mounting tape I've used, probably because it can't stretch like mounting tape. Once you put that on something like a jack, you'll have to work very hard to remove it. Of course, there are varying strengths available, some much weaker than these.

ok cool I just ordered a switchcraft jack to wire the pickup too. I'm pondering epoxying the jack to a square of wood and putting the velcro on that but we will see how it goes.

Thanks!!

User Info Menu

FYI: I have a Favino GJ guitar where I put a strip of Velcro backing on the bottom of the tailpiece. I was never too happy with this setup. It tended to collect lint and dirt and stick to the the carpet if I set it down. While it kept the jack in place, you had to be careful and hold it tightly when plugging in or unplugging the guitar cable. Otherwise, it would rip the whole thing away from the Velcro backing on the tailpiece. Part of the reason is that since the jack was round the Velcro didn't have much contact with the backing strip. And I used a medium/heavy grade of Velcro backing.

In the long run, I chose to attach and detach the pickup when I needed it. BTW, a lot of GJ pickups like Stimer and Peche ala Mouche have cables attached to the pickup with the intent being you take the pickup on and off when you need to use it. That's what I do with my Peche ala Mouche, and frankly, it's worth the effort since I think it is the best sounding GJ pickup I have. I prefer it to on-board systems like Big Tone and K&K.

Thanks for the advice. I hate to say it's an aescetic decision but I really hate the look of the cable hanging off the guitar.

I was planning on velcroing it to the endpin area of the guitar (on the wood) and hope that it will be a little stiffer there. We'll see.

Really I'd like an F hole guitar with a permanently mounted covered pickup but that's a ways off.

User Info Menu

Understand Sully what you're saying about aescetics. Keep in mind, the backing on the Velcro can be pretty sticky -- like permanently sticky. If you put it on the wood and ever go to remove it, it might take off the finish. If it doesn't harm the finish but just leaves a sticky residue, that can be removed with a little bit of naphtha. That's why to avoid any potential problems I put mine on the metal part of my tailpiece.

By the way, the Krivo Djangobucker sounds like a good choice. Let us know what you think about it. (Be sure to mention your guitar brand and amp too. We are a curious bunch indeed!)

User Info Menu

Velcro jack?-ca8830f6-5760-4c3d-86f8-ce2d4397b794-jpgI occasionally use a Dearmond guitar mic on my L5. I wrapped Velcro tape around the jack, and put a 1/2” square on the underside of the pick guard. It works a charm.

User Info Menu

Maybe one of those jacks made to replaced the strap pin?
    The pickup wire goes directly to the jack, inside the guitar.

Velcro jack?-download-jpg

User Info Menu

Endpin jacks work pretty well, and aren't too hard to install, if you have the proper tools. I would not put the Velcro directly onto the wood. That can have disastrous results. You can put it on the tailpiece, or under the pickguard. Using this method means you really need to remove the jack and hold it when you insert or remove the instrument cable, it's not likely to hold in place without help. The Velcro is just to keep it in place while playing.

The issue with this pickup is that it sits on top of the guitar and I'd like it to be removable. So an endpin thing won't really work because the cord would come out the soundhole and I wouldn't be able to take it on and off (for one thing the soundhole on a selmac is too small to get your hand in).

It's a $600 Altamira. It's already got some gaffers tape and a furniture pad on the lower bout to keep it from slipping on my leg. It's a nice guitar but I don't feel any need to baby it. The finish seems pretty tough too.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sully75
    It's a $600 Altamira. It's already got some gaffers tape and a furniture pad on the lower bout to keep it from slipping on my leg. It's a nice guitar but I don't feel any need to baby it. The finish seems pretty tough too.
    That's a refreshing attitude here. Go for it!

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    That's a refreshing attitude here. Go for it!
    Well I'll probably feel stupid when I break it somehow but it's hard enough getting rolling with practicing without having to pull your guitar from the case and polish it for 5 minutes.

I would definitely like a nicer guitar at some point but I think the point is to play the things.

User Info Menu

You can buy inline mini jacks and plugs pretty cheap. You could run a cable from the endpin jack out the f hole and to the pickguard, with a mini jack there, and a matching plug on the pickup, so you would just unplug it and go. But it may be more trouble than it's worth to you. I have that sort of setup on a couple of guitars on which I tend to change pickups now and then. The cable and jack just stays inside the guitar, and I put a plug on the pickups, so it's a quick change. But everyone's needs and preferences are different, so whatever works for you...

You can buy inline mini jacks and plugs pretty cheap. You could run a cable from the endpin jack out the f hole and to the pickguard, with a mini jack there, and a matching plug on the pickup, so you would just unplug it and go. But it may be more trouble than it's worth to you. I have that sort of setup on a couple of guitars on which I tend to change pickups now and then. The cable and jack just stays inside the guitar, and I put a plug on the pickups, so it's a quick change. But everyone's needs and preferences are different, so whatever works for you...
    That's a good idea. I guess I'm slightly dubious about the durability of mini Jacks but that would be a great solution.

User Info Menu

Hi sgosnell, good ideas but he says he has an Altamira so I think his guitar is a traditional Gypsy Jazz Selmer type guitar with a small oval hole and no floating pickguard. Little trickier to figure out how to run the cable through the small oval hole and still be able to fish it out if you loose the cable in the body...

Quote Originally Posted by archtopeddy
    Hi sgosnell, good ideas but he says he has an Altamira so I think his guitar is a traditional Gypsy Jazz Selmer type guitar with a small oval hole and no floating pickguard. Little trickier to figure out how to run the cable through the small oval hole and still be able to fish it out if you loose the cable in the body...
    Well a little hot glue prob might do the job.

User Info Menu

Or Velcro.

User Info Menu

Or Velcro.
    haha