Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 17 of 17

User Info Menu

Hi,
    Anybode use Tc Electronic BAM 200 with hollow body guitar?
    Regulary it is a bass amp.
    Best
    Kris

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Yes I'm using a Bam200 with an archtop ....

with a baby Toob with an Eminance Alphalite 6 in it
    TOOB Metro GP 6.5

I'm reducing the mids to about 9 o clock
    bass up to about 3 o clock
    treble on about 1 o clock
    working great for me ...

i'm gonna try a preamp in front
    for a bit of hair ...

User Info Menu

Yep, I use one, and also a TC BQ250 which has been modded for reverb, with 8" and 10" cabs. Great amps, great value.

User Info Menu

It's a surprisingly nice sounding bass amp in clips, for whatever that is worth.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Franz 1997
    Yep, I use one, and also a TC BQ250 which has been modded for reverb,
    How was that accomplished?

User Info Menu

My vote for BAM. Great for anything.

User Info Menu

...with the help of an expert friend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feet
    It's a surprisingly nice sounding bass amp in clips, for whatever that is worth.
    The small bass amps, such as BAM, Elf and MB200, are actually great allround power amps, with a broad and flat frequency response plus adequate EQ controls. I have tried all of them with keyboards, violin and harmonica. On-board reverb would make them perfect for jazz guitar. Many players today use multiple effects, so a separate reverb stomp box is not a major inconvenience.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gitterbug
    On-board reverb would make them perfect for jazz guitar.
    Exactly. So why aren't they tapping into that market?

User Info Menu

1. It costs more to include reverb.
    2. Almost everyone already owns a reverb pedal.

I don't use the onboard reverb on the amps I own that have it. I don't miss it at all on the ones that don't, and I prefer to pay less instead of getting something I won't use. Bass players tend to not use reverb, AFAICT, so if you want to sell to both bassists and guitarists, no reverb is probably the more economical way to go. Jazz guitar is a very small niche market.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    1. It costs more to include reverb.
    2. Almost everyone already owns a reverb pedal.

I don't use the onboard reverb on the amps I own that have it. I don't miss it at all on the ones that don't, and I prefer to pay less instead of getting something I won't use. Bass players tend to not use reverb, AFAICT, so if you want to sell to both bassists and guitarists, no reverb is probably the more economical way to go. Jazz guitar is a very small niche market.
    To each his own. I prefer not to have to plug in pedals on simple gigs, yet I like a bit of reverb, especially in certain rooms. Jeff Genzler put out a product in his old company that was pretty awesome. 175/300 Class D tiny and lightweight, two channels, with dig verb. I have one. He was so successful that Fender bought him out.
    TC electronic BAM 200-genz-benz-jpg
    Last edited by Woody Sound; 01-23-2020 at 11:33 AM.

User Info Menu

As mentioned above, it wouldn't be worth a company like TC offering a reverb model to the small niche of jazz guitarists - it's a fair bet that their business model is to offer fully-featured bass amps to all bass players, and - judging by the extraorinarily low prices - to flood that market if they can. Also as mentioned above, the eq centres for bass amps coincide well with the sort of darker yet solid sounds that many jazz players are looking for, which is a happy accident for us. Some won't remember this, but in their early 60s catalogue, Gibson offered an amp geared to both bass players and jazz guitarists, with the ( large, tube) amp on a heavy tripod and a big speaker cab. Must have weighed a mere 80lb..

I was concerned about the assembly quality of the TC amps, bearing in mind the almost-joke prices, but my expert friend says that the quality is high and the circuits are very innovative. The one snag is the tested continuous rms power of the BAM200 about 80% of the advertised figure - but then that's true of many amps, both SS and tube. And hardly surprising, given how tiny it is. The bigger BQ amp puts out what it says on its tin.

Man, I do write some geeky posts..

User Info Menu

I really don't think it would cost, in bulk/design, to add a decent reverb chip. Much less than a significant price point jump. OCICBW.

User Info Menu

I have told this before. Wrote to Fender around 2016, suggesting they derive a new Jazz UL from Rumble 200 bass amp by removing some bass voicing stuff and adding a reverb. They responded "right on" but nothing happened. Made the same suggestion twice to Gallien-Krueger re. MB200 - no reply. Adding and removing digital chips should be an easy and cheap operation, nothing compared to a new niche product's marketing expenditure. Case in point: DV Mark Micro 50 variants. The Jazz version has one channel vs. the other versions' clean and crunch. Yet, it weighs the same and costs more than the others. BTW, at NAMM DV Mark showed a Micro 60, so new their website or show info has no mention of it yet.

User Info Menu

They have a few bass heads that have tone print capability. I haven't tried one, but wouldn't that solve the reverb issue? You probably would have a choice of reverb tone prints, too.

User Info Menu

I/ve chequed BAM 200 today in music shop in Warsaw with different guitars.
    Pat Metheny model Ibanez,Telecaster/made is USA/ and new Yamaha trancacoustic nylon guitar/it has reverb,chorus and volume in preamp/..
    It was set up with 12" cabinet...
    The sound was exelent with Yamaha nylon strings guitar and Ibanez hollow-body.
    Telecaster sound quite good if you work more about equalisation.
    The prise of this amp is really nice...:-)
    Best
    Kris

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dave24309
    They have a few bass heads that have tone print capability. I haven't tried one, but wouldn't that solve the reverb issue? You probably would have a choice of reverb tone prints, too.
    I thought of that; I searched their available toneprints library for a reverb, but no luck. Also, considerably more expensive ( but still, pretty cheap compared to other heads)