Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 45

User Info Menu

470jl...

ron ellis pickups

cheers

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

ps- officially premiered at namm today..tho julians been using one on recent gigs...

From Collings' site:

Collings 470 JL #

Collings Guitars and Julian Lage have joined forces once again to create something truly special - the Collings 470 JL. Refining the details of classic lines, feel and features, the 470 JL was conceived and crafted to provide access to uncharted levels of expression and dynamic range for guitarists who know no bounds. Featuring specially designed Ron Ellis pickups, exhaustively selected components and a unique trestle block design, the Collings 470 JL delivers a trueness of tone and response like none you’ve experienced before. Available in stores Summer 2020. More details to follow!

cheers

User Info Menu

Hmmmm, it kind of looks like a variation of a Gretsch Duojet.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by EllenGtrGrl
    Hmmmm, it kind of looks like a variation of a Gretsch Duojet.
    totally ellen!...lage had been playing a gretsch duojet alot recently...

saw it on the gdp!! and know there are many lage fans here!

a tweaked duojet no doubt

interested in the bracing and chambering collings is using...and the ellis dyna pup variation

almost like a stephen stern custom shop gretsch

cheers

User Info Menu

'for the guitarist that knows no bounds...' Well, I know a bound or two. And wish they had done their version of a 30's L5 for Lage instead.

User Info Menu

The guitar looks really nice and no doubt will sound and play well, since it's Collings and they make good stuff. The Gretsch heritage is obvious. But the Madison Ave. marketing speak is really annoying. "...uncharted levels of expression and dynamic range for guitarists who know no bounds?" Eccchh.

Maybe that stuff sells guitars and there's a reason I'm not in marketing

User Info Menu

I wouldn't look twice at it if it was in amongst many other guitars, but that might well be a mistake. Interested in the tressle!

Yes, the marketing guff would put me off it as well.

I think there is more to this guitar than meets the eye.
    Last edited by Rob MacKillop; 01-19-2020 at 11:02 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    The guitar looks really nice and no doubt will sound and play well, since it's Collings and they make good stuff. The Gretsch heritage is obvious. But the Madison Ave. marketing speak is really annoying. "...uncharted levels of expression and dynamic range for guitarists who know no bounds?" Eccchh.

Maybe that stuff sells guitars and there's a reason I'm not in marketing
    I'm with you. Most of the blurb kind of means nothing.... This kind of talk sounds amateur, is the product so bad that you won't actually describe its details? Yuck. I'm sure it'll be a fantastic guitar, though. Collings guitars are remarkable.

User Info Menu

It did (thanks)

User Info Menu

If this guitar did not have Julian Lage attached to it people on this forum would be screaming bloody murder about the Bigsby.

User Info Menu

cheers

User Info Menu

Looks like he has been using it a lot...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Spook410
    'for the guitarist that knows no bounds...' Well, I know a bound or two. And wish they had done their version of a 30's L5 for Lage instead.
    Given his recent musical path, I think the big box days are over for him (for a while at least).

User Info Menu

lage has been playing tele's and the duojet for years now!! what's the surprise??

it's his sig model and he chose the above^...if he wanted an L5 i'm sure he would have gone that route

having said that. don't dismiss the above collings till all facts are in!! if you like lage then trust his instincts..and we know collings makes wonderful guitars...the pickup maker ron ellis, is considered one of the current be$t

lastly, the guitar got its premiere showing at latest lage gigs and this weekends namm show..the guitar is 6 months away from release... look at the blurb ^ as a teaser not a spec sheet!!

patience!...

cheers

User Info Menu

Yep. He had a tele at the Vanguard this weekend in NYC.

User Info Menu

The Duo Jet on Julian's recent album Love Hurts (highly recommended!) is apparently owned by Jeff Tweedy of Wilco. A 1956 model. Or so I've read on the innertubes.

I'm sure the Collings won't be cheap--but I'm also sure it will be of exquisite quality.

I wonder how the price--and the sound--will compare to a vintage Duo Jet?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic

it's his sig model and he chose the above^...if he wanted an L5 i'm sure he would have gone that route

While Lage is an amazing player, what do I care what he wants? Artist schmartist. I want the Collings 30's L5.

User Info Menu

It is a $7000 street price Duo Jet for the Collings fan who wants a Duo Jet made by Collings.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Patlotch
    I really like Van Gogh's painting. I think I should buy the same brushes

Hell is full of failed guitarists
    Easier on the wallet to aspire to be Van Gogh as Vincent used cheap brushes available to the common man. This JL aspiration wants $7000 from you...Only the rich need aspire but that is sort of the point.

I'll make do with the Terada-made Duo Jet...Fun factor is the same at close to 35.7% of the price.

User Info Menu

It makes me glad that I didn’t sell my old DeArmond M77T.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

I really like Collings guitars, and while outside of my budget, I'm excited what their take on this classic design will feel and sound like.

User Info Menu

What’s interesting is that the collaboration believes there is a market for this guitar at the price point noted. If so, we might be experiencing more disposable income entering the guitar market for these type purchases.

User Info Menu

The marketing formula of having the best players play your instrument/amp/pedal (insert item here) is an old and proven technique by musical instrument companies. The wider the audience, the better. Collings is a fine small factory and makes some great instruments. Ron Ellis winds some outstanding pickups (I have some in a Tele).

That said, an expensive, Gretch derivative / Bigsby installed guitar with a Julian’s endorsement is a specialty item with a finite target audience of potential customers. It is however a great means to get people over to one’s NAMM booth, which may have been their intention. It provides Julian with a replaceable travel guitar (likely gratis) providing him with the ability to leave his vintage Gretch instrument at home. Julian sounds great no matter what he plays (e.g. the key property of all good endorsees).

For me, not a guitar that I would ever want to play. For others, a dream guitar I suppose.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    lage has been playing tele's and the duojet for years now!! what's the surprise??

having said that. don't dismiss the above collings till all facts are in!! if you like lage then trust his instincts..and we know collings makes wonderful guitars...the pickup maker ron ellis, is considered one of the current be$t

lastly, the guitar got its premiere showing at latest lage gigs and this weekends namm show..the guitar is 6 months away from release... look at the blurb ^ as a teaser not a spec sheet!!

patience!...

cheers
    I consider the blurb, like all blurbs to be pretty much irrelevant. There real promo is going to be hearing him play it. Does it sound incredible or not? Does he sound better than a he does with a Gretsch? Does he sound more inspired than he does with a Tele? Given who built it I'd say the odds are pretty good. I haven't loved every Collings that I've ever played but I've played a bunch that just made me just love playing guitar. That's a great feeling.
    Last edited by Jim Soloway; 01-20-2020 at 12:53 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chazmo
    If this guitar did not have Julian Lage attached to it people on this forum would be screaming bloody murder about the Bigsby.
    Given its roots it wouldn't make much sense without a Bigsby.