Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 48 of 48

User Info Menu

470jl...

ron ellis pickups

cheers

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

ps- officially premiered at namm today..tho julians been using one on recent gigs...

From Collings' site:

Collings 470 JL #

Collings Guitars and Julian Lage have joined forces once again to create something truly special - the Collings 470 JL. Refining the details of classic lines, feel and features, the 470 JL was conceived and crafted to provide access to uncharted levels of expression and dynamic range for guitarists who know no bounds. Featuring specially designed Ron Ellis pickups, exhaustively selected components and a unique trestle block design, the Collings 470 JL delivers a trueness of tone and response like none you’ve experienced before. Available in stores Summer 2020. More details to follow!

cheers

User Info Menu

Hmmmm, it kind of looks like a variation of a Gretsch Duojet.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by EllenGtrGrl
    totally ellen!...lage had been playing a gretsch duojet alot recently...

saw it on the gdp!! and know there are many lage fans here!

a tweaked duojet no doubt

interested in the bracing and chambering collings is using...and the ellis dyna pup variation

almost like a stephen stern custom shop gretsch

cheers

User Info Menu

'for the guitarist that knows no bounds...' Well, I know a bound or two. And wish they had done their version of a 30's L5 for Lage instead.

User Info Menu

The guitar looks really nice and no doubt will sound and play well, since it's Collings and they make good stuff. The Gretsch heritage is obvious. But the Madison Ave. marketing speak is really annoying. "...uncharted levels of expression and dynamic range for guitarists who know no bounds?" Eccchh.

Maybe that stuff sells guitars and there's a reason I'm not in marketing

User Info Menu

I wouldn't look twice at it if it was in amongst many other guitars, but that might well be a mistake. Interested in the tressle!

Yes, the marketing guff would put me off it as well.

I think there is more to this guitar than meets the eye.
    Last edited by Rob MacKillop; 01-19-2020 at 11:02 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    The guitar looks really nice and no doubt will sound and play well, since it's Collings and they make good stuff. The Gretsch heritage is obvious. But the Madison Ave. marketing speak is really annoying. "...uncharted levels of expression and dynamic range for guitarists who know no bounds?" Eccchh.

Maybe that stuff sells guitars and there's a reason I'm not in marketing
    I'm with you. Most of the blurb kind of means nothing.... This kind of talk sounds amateur, is the product so bad that you won't actually describe its details? Yuck. I'm sure it'll be a fantastic guitar, though. Collings guitars are remarkable.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by EllenGtrGrl

Looks like a take on his 1953 duo jet

PG Jams with Julian Lage - YouTube

Edit: Not sure if the forum lets me link to the correct moment in the vid. If it doesn't then Julian picks up his Gretsch and starts talking about it at 18:59 in the vid

User Info Menu

It did (thanks)

User Info Menu

If this guitar did not have Julian Lage attached to it people on this forum would be screaming bloody murder about the Bigsby.

User Info Menu

cheers

User Info Menu

Looks like he has been using it a lot...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Spook410
    'for the guitarist that knows no bounds...' Well, I know a bound or two. And wish they had done their version of a 30's L5 for Lage instead.
    Given his recent musical path, I think the big box days are over for him (for a while at least).

User Info Menu

lage has been playing tele's and the duojet for years now!! what's the surprise??

it's his sig model and he chose the above^...if he wanted an L5 i'm sure he would have gone that route

having said that. don't dismiss the above collings till all facts are in!! if you like lage then trust his instincts..and we know collings makes wonderful guitars...the pickup maker ron ellis, is considered one of the current be$t

lastly, the guitar got its premiere showing at latest lage gigs and this weekends namm show..the guitar is 6 months away from release... look at the blurb ^ as a teaser not a spec sheet!!

patience!...

cheers

User Info Menu

Yep. He had a tele at the Vanguard this weekend in NYC.

User Info Menu

The Duo Jet on Julian's recent album Love Hurts (highly recommended!) is apparently owned by Jeff Tweedy of Wilco. A 1956 model. Or so I've read on the innertubes.

I'm sure the Collings won't be cheap--but I'm also sure it will be of exquisite quality.

I wonder how the price--and the sound--will compare to a vintage Duo Jet?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic

it's his sig model and he chose the above^...if he wanted an L5 i'm sure he would have gone that route

While Lage is an amazing player, what do I care what he wants? Artist schmartist. I want the Collings 30's L5.

User Info Menu

It is a $7000 street price Duo Jet for the Collings fan who wants a Duo Jet made by Collings.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Patlotch
    I really like Van Gogh's painting. I think I should buy the same brushes

Hell is full of failed guitarists
    Easier on the wallet to aspire to be Van Gogh as Vincent used cheap brushes available to the common man. This JL aspiration wants $7000 from you...Only the rich need aspire but that is sort of the point.

I'll make do with the Terada-made Duo Jet...Fun factor is the same at close to 35.7% of the price.

User Info Menu

It makes me glad that I didn’t sell my old DeArmond M77T.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

I really like Collings guitars, and while outside of my budget, I'm excited what their take on this classic design will feel and sound like.

User Info Menu

What’s interesting is that the collaboration believes there is a market for this guitar at the price point noted. If so, we might be experiencing more disposable income entering the guitar market for these type purchases.

User Info Menu

The marketing formula of having the best players play your instrument/amp/pedal (insert item here) is an old and proven technique by musical instrument companies. The wider the audience, the better. Collings is a fine small factory and makes some great instruments. Ron Ellis winds some outstanding pickups (I have some in a Tele).

That said, an expensive, Gretch derivative / Bigsby installed guitar with a Julian’s endorsement is a specialty item with a finite target audience of potential customers. It is however a great means to get people over to one’s NAMM booth, which may have been their intention. It provides Julian with a replaceable travel guitar (likely gratis) providing him with the ability to leave his vintage Gretch instrument at home. Julian sounds great no matter what he plays (e.g. the key property of all good endorsees).

For me, not a guitar that I would ever want to play. For others, a dream guitar I suppose.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    lage has been playing tele's and the duojet for years now!! what's the surprise??

having said that. don't dismiss the above collings till all facts are in!! if you like lage then trust his instincts..and we know collings makes wonderful guitars...the pickup maker ron ellis, is considered one of the current be$t

lastly, the guitar got its premiere showing at latest lage gigs and this weekends namm show..the guitar is 6 months away from release... look at the blurb ^ as a teaser not a spec sheet!!

patience!...

cheers
    I consider the blurb, like all blurbs to be pretty much irrelevant. There real promo is going to be hearing him play it. Does it sound incredible or not? Does he sound better than a he does with a Gretsch? Does he sound more inspired than he does with a Tele? Given who built it I'd say the odds are pretty good. I haven't loved every Collings that I've ever played but I've played a bunch that just made me just love playing guitar. That's a great feeling.
    Last edited by Jim Soloway; 01-20-2020 at 12:53 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chazmo
    If this guitar did not have Julian Lage attached to it people on this forum would be screaming bloody murder about the Bigsby.
    Given its roots it wouldn't make much sense without a Bigsby.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by iim7V7IM7
    For me, not a guitar that I would ever want to play. For others, a dream guitar I suppose.
    For me it's a dream and at $7000 will continue to be a dream forever, hehehe

User Info Menu

7k is a bit spicy ... must be a very small run

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lobomov
    7k is a bit spicy ... must be a very small run
    Collings make a lot of guitars in that price range. I can't afford them but they don't seem to struggle finding buyers.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Piedaddy
    Yep. He had a tele at the Vanguard this weekend in NYC.
    Damn, he was at the Vanguard this weekend. Oh sugar!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Patlotch
    I really like Van Gogh's painting. I think I should buy the same brushes

if they are good brushes..why not??...just don't lick them...a van gogh rumor is that he was slowly poisoning himself by wetting his brush with saliva and getting the ground paint toxic minerals into his system!

van goghs paintbrush-

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grandstick01
    It makes me glad that I didn’t sell my old DeArmond M77T.

hah..thought the exact same!....dearmond m77-t...lightly chambered body w dearmond usa 2k pups(p-90 ish)..mines strung with (no longer available) d'aquisto flats..only have a couple of sets left...great kenny burrell midnight blue tones to be had...

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    It is a $7000 street price Duo Jet for the Collings fan who wants a Duo Jet made by Collings.
    in the $$$ ballpark of a stephen stern custom shop gretsch to be honest!

cheers

User Info Menu

I am not particularly enamored by signature guitars and marketing strategies are beyond me. A Julian Lage signature guitar echoing the Duojet seems like quite an esoteric affair.

Gratefully, I was able to hear his duo tour with Fred Hirsch last October. He played the Telecaster plugged into a Deluxe Reverb. Julian’s strongest gift, in my opinion, is his musicality in the way he interacted with Fred on piano. It was superb!!

Will I go to hear him again? Probably not. Am I attracted to his guitar playing style? Not really. Would I have rather heard him play a fine hollow body? Yes indeed. That would have been nice.

As fine as this Collings guitar might be... I can’t imagine they would be able to sell more than ten of them.

User Info Menu

LOL! I actually dislike the Bigsby and I figured there'd be a non-Bigsby version.

User Info Menu

must say, i never ever thought that just the announcement of a signature model guitar...by a player beloved on this forum...and by a respected maker...would bring so much derision!! hah

a successful thread!

i'm not even a big lage fan..i just like guitars...

cheers

User Info Menu

I love the marketing spin. I would probably never buy a signature anything but anything that puts artists out there, gives me something to read, learn, watch, listen to related to music, bring it on.

Hope they do some promo videos. Even if it is as short as George Thorogoods little video on his signature Epiphone.

Wish Gibson would do a promo doco on their Chuck Berry guitar.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vernon
    I am not particularly enamored by signature guitars and marketing strategies are beyond me. A Julian Lage signature guitar echoing the Duojet seems like quite an esoteric affair.

Gratefully, I was able to hear his duo tour with Fred Hirsch last October. He played the Telecaster plugged into a Deluxe Reverb. Julian’s strongest gift, in my opinion, is his musicality in the way he interacted with Fred on piano. It was superb!!

Will I go to hear him again? Probably not. Am I attracted to his guitar playing style? Not really. Would I have rather heard him play a fine hollow body? Yes indeed. That would have been nice.

As fine as this Collings guitar might be... I can’t imagine they would be able to sell more than ten of them.
    You may be right but Collings staked out their position at the very high end of the market when they rolled out their first electrics. It seems to have worked out for them pretty well. They have Junior types selling for $4500 and 335 types selling for $7000 and judging by what I see on Eddies site, dealers don't seem to balk at loading up on inventory.

User Info Menu

The boutique here in downtown Oslo seems to not have any problems shifting Collings guitars A former teacher of mine bought one last year, never tried it, but it sounds even more... like him!

I'll always be an advocate for spending some money on a real instrument. Granted my Gibson ES was cheap, but it was always the unachievable dream, and I feel like I'm "done" buying guitars. It's like getting shoes from a cordwainer - you take 'em to the cobler when you need, but you got a shoe for life.
    ...not to imply that cheap guitars can't have this role, what I'm getting at is that I respect the handcraft and wages that go into making an instrument. I think we're only used to lower price tags because outsourced and frankly unethical labour give us great guitars at absurd prices. Not that we should bad for merely existing in a market economy we did not create....

... or to put it shortly, "people will come, Ray"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr quick
    what I'm getting at is that I respect the handcraft and wages that go into making an instrument. I think we're only used to lower price tags because outsourced and frankly unethical labour
    I don't mind people buying a Collings, if they can affort it. God knows how much people will invest in furniture or "silly" art, It is all about whatever makes people happy.

At 7000$ that is 63000 NOK and if it ever hits the store in Olso add + 30% in VAT and expenses, so around 80000 NOK

Your argument of this guitar being priced 'normally' and that it is just that we've been exposed to unethical wages seems misplaced

Not that it is priced wrong if demand is there .. as it is for John Cruz guitars from the Fender CS at the same price point. But neither of those can really be linked to unethical wages on other types of guitars

User Info Menu

You guys can probably guess how I feel about it, but I'll put this here to give you an idea of what I hope it would sound like:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Soloway
    Given its roots it wouldn't make much sense without a Bigsby.
    More to my point, if Julian Lage was not associated with this guitar most jazz players would not be interested in it, the original Duo Jet, or any other Gretsch for that matter

User Info Menu

More to my point, if Julian Lage was not associated with this guitar most jazz players would not be interested in it, the original Duo Jet, or any other Gretsch for that matter
    Probably true. And maybe another reason to appreciate Julian Lage. He could have stayed in the conservative lane forever and been the preeminent main stream jazz guitarist of his era but he seems to be driven to explore beyond the boundaries of his early years. The result is that he not only expands his own creative horizon but that of many of his admirers. I think that's a good thing.

User Info Menu

Wow that guitar looks amazing, I've had a Chet Atkins (thin bar) Bigsby I've been waiting to put on something would look wicked on that ;-)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Soloway
    Probably true. And maybe another reason to appreciate Julian Lage. He could have stayed in the conservative lane forever and been the preeminent main stream jazz guitarist of his era but he seems to be driven to explore beyond the boundaries of his early years. The result is that he not only expands his own creative horizon but that of many of his admirers. I think that's a good thing.
    Good point, Jim.

User Info Menu

Would it be the same price without his endorsement attached?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    I don't think it matters much. I know from first hand that the Westville Prospect was developed with input from Lage Lund who now endorses it. It didn't make the guitar more expensive. Considering its price I am sure the Collings will be a really great guitar.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    It's pretty consistent with their prices for other hollow bodies. Maybe a small premium but not much.