The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 45 of 45

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by iim7V7IM7
    For me, not a guitar that I would ever want to play. For others, a dream guitar I suppose.
    For me it's a dream and at $7000 will continue to be a dream forever, hehehe

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lobomov
    7k is a bit spicy ... must be a very small run
    Collings make a lot of guitars in that price range. I can't afford them but they don't seem to struggle finding buyers.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Piedaddy
    Yep. He had a tele at the Vanguard this weekend in NYC.
    Damn, he was at the Vanguard this weekend. Oh sugar!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Patlotch
    I really like Van Gogh's painting. I think I should buy the same brushes

if they are good brushes..why not??...just don't lick them...a van gogh rumor is that he was slowly poisoning himself by wetting his brush with saliva and getting the ground paint toxic minerals into his system!

van goghs paintbrush-

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grandstick01
    It makes me glad that I didn’t sell my old DeArmond M77T.

hah..thought the exact same!....dearmond m77-t...lightly chambered body w dearmond usa 2k pups(p-90 ish)..mines strung with (no longer available) d'aquisto flats..only have a couple of sets left...great kenny burrell midnight blue tones to be had...

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    It is a $7000 street price Duo Jet for the Collings fan who wants a Duo Jet made by Collings.
    in the $$$ ballpark of a stephen stern custom shop gretsch to be honest!

cheers

User Info Menu

I am not particularly enamored by signature guitars and marketing strategies are beyond me. A Julian Lage signature guitar echoing the Duojet seems like quite an esoteric affair.

Gratefully, I was able to hear his duo tour with Fred Hirsch last October. He played the Telecaster plugged into a Deluxe Reverb. Julian’s strongest gift, in my opinion, is his musicality in the way he interacted with Fred on piano. It was superb!!

Will I go to hear him again? Probably not. Am I attracted to his guitar playing style? Not really. Would I have rather heard him play a fine hollow body? Yes indeed. That would have been nice.

As fine as this Collings guitar might be... I can’t imagine they would be able to sell more than ten of them.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chazmo
    If this guitar did not have Julian Lage attached to it people on this forum would be screaming bloody murder about the Bigsby.
    LOL! I actually dislike the Bigsby and I figured there'd be a non-Bigsby version.

User Info Menu

must say, i never ever thought that just the announcement of a signature model guitar...by a player beloved on this forum...and by a respected maker...would bring so much derision!! hah

a successful thread!

i'm not even a big lage fan..i just like guitars...

cheers

User Info Menu

I love the marketing spin. I would probably never buy a signature anything but anything that puts artists out there, gives me something to read, learn, watch, listen to related to music, bring it on.

Hope they do some promo videos. Even if it is as short as George Thorogoods little video on his signature Epiphone.

Wish Gibson would do a promo doco on their Chuck Berry guitar.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vernon
    I am not particularly enamored by signature guitars and marketing strategies are beyond me. A Julian Lage signature guitar echoing the Duojet seems like quite an esoteric affair.

Gratefully, I was able to hear his duo tour with Fred Hirsch last October. He played the Telecaster plugged into a Deluxe Reverb. Julian’s strongest gift, in my opinion, is his musicality in the way he interacted with Fred on piano. It was superb!!

Will I go to hear him again? Probably not. Am I attracted to his guitar playing style? Not really. Would I have rather heard him play a fine hollow body? Yes indeed. That would have been nice.

As fine as this Collings guitar might be... I can’t imagine they would be able to sell more than ten of them.
    You may be right but Collings staked out their position at the very high end of the market when they rolled out their first electrics. It seems to have worked out for them pretty well. They have Junior types selling for $4500 and 335 types selling for $7000 and judging by what I see on Eddies site, dealers don't seem to balk at loading up on inventory.

User Info Menu

The boutique here in downtown Oslo seems to not have any problems shifting Collings guitars A former teacher of mine bought one last year, never tried it, but it sounds even more... like him!

I'll always be an advocate for spending some money on a real instrument. Granted my Gibson ES was cheap, but it was always the unachievable dream, and I feel like I'm "done" buying guitars. It's like getting shoes from a cordwainer - you take 'em to the cobler when you need, but you got a shoe for life.
    ...not to imply that cheap guitars can't have this role, what I'm getting at is that I respect the handcraft and wages that go into making an instrument. I think we're only used to lower price tags because outsourced and frankly unethical labour give us great guitars at absurd prices. Not that we should bad for merely existing in a market economy we did not create....

... or to put it shortly, "people will come, Ray"

User Info Menu

You guys can probably guess how I feel about it, but I'll put this here to give you an idea of what I hope it would sound like:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Soloway
    Given its roots it wouldn't make much sense without a Bigsby.
    More to my point, if Julian Lage was not associated with this guitar most jazz players would not be interested in it, the original Duo Jet, or any other Gretsch for that matter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chazmo
    More to my point, if Julian Lage was not associated with this guitar most jazz players would not be interested in it, the original Duo Jet, or any other Gretsch for that matter
    Probably true. And maybe another reason to appreciate Julian Lage. He could have stayed in the conservative lane forever and been the preeminent main stream jazz guitarist of his era but he seems to be driven to explore beyond the boundaries of his early years. The result is that he not only expands his own creative horizon but that of many of his admirers. I think that's a good thing.

User Info Menu

Wow that guitar looks amazing, I've had a Chet Atkins (thin bar) Bigsby I've been waiting to put on something would look wicked on that ;-)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Soloway
    Probably true. And maybe another reason to appreciate Julian Lage. He could have stayed in the conservative lane forever and been the preeminent main stream jazz guitarist of his era but he seems to be driven to explore beyond the boundaries of his early years. The result is that he not only expands his own creative horizon but that of many of his admirers. I think that's a good thing.
    Good point, Jim.

User Info Menu

Would it be the same price without his endorsement attached?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    I don't think it matters much. I know from first hand that the Westville Prospect was developed with input from Lage Lund who now endorses it. It didn't make the guitar more expensive. Considering its price I am sure the Collings will be a really great guitar.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    It's pretty consistent with their prices for other hollow bodies. Maybe a small premium but not much.