The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast
Posts 376 to 400 of 436

User Info Menu

I agree that the Solid Formed sounds amazing. Yes it would need more abalone unnecsary stuff for my eyes. Nevertheless i am diggin the superfat tone of my weighty L-5 Wesmo. I wish i can here campellones on a Tom Bridge and with ste humbuckers.

Enviado desde mi LG-H870 mediante Tapatalk

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Here= hear.
    Sorry

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gustavo Eiriz
    I agree that the Solid Formed sounds amazing. Yes it would need more abalone unnecsary stuff for my eyes. Nevertheless i am diggin the superfat tone of my weighty L-5 Wesmo. I wish i can here campellones on a Tom Bridge and with ste humbuckers.

Super fat tone. That is exactly what I want!
    I love it!
    JD

User Info Menu

Not wanting to diverge too far from the main theme here, but The most acoustically alive archtop I've ever played is Steve Andersen's Double Top, no longer available, but astounding sound. If one ever shows up used, I'd be seriously tempted. It's not solid carved either, but 'formed'. Incredible.
    Vinny, you're going to need counseling for your relationship with your new roommate!

Let's hope Gibson gets back to making archtops again at a price we can afford. IMO the Wesmo, TF, and 175 are tough acts to follow.Even Mark Campellone is a huge Gibson fanboy. As he says he drank the Kool-Aid too.
    Last edited by vinnyv1k; 05-19-2020 at 05:13 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    Let’s hope Gibson gets back to making archtops again at a price we can afford. IMO the Wesmo, TF, and 175 are tough acts to follow.
    Even Mark Campellone is a huge Gibson fanboy. As he says he drank the KoolAid too.
    hey Kool-Aid is good stuff. Drank it all my life. Even ATE several packs of Kool-Aid powder when I was a kid. Had to go to the doctor with ... seriously... I am not lying... VITAMIN C POISONING. Yes, too much Vitamin C will make you break out in body-wide skin rashes, itching, and other symptoms.

But I never stopped liking Kool-Aid! Or Gibsons.

I'd take a Campy though, in a heartbeat! Maybe one day I'll sell off a bunch of Gibby's and by a Campellone.

User Info Menu

Army cooks used to use Kool-Aid powder to clean their grills. It will take off the burnt grease rather easily.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    hey Kool-Aid is good stuff. Drank it all my life. Even ATE several packs of Kool-Aid powder when I was a kid. Had to go to the doctor with ... seriously... I am not lying... VITAMIN C POISONING. Yes, too much Vitamin C ... other symptoms..
    This certainly explains a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    I'd take a Campy though, in a heartbeat! Maybe one day I'll sell off a bunch of Gibby's and by a Campellone.
    I can see where this is heading. You will enjoy your new Campellone.

User Info Menu

In case anyone was wondering.

Very cool Hammer

User Info Menu

That is some drop dead gorgeous wood. It might even prompt me to build another archtop. Just cant wait to see the finished article. Take as much time as you need to make that fantastic wood bloom into something totally awesome. I have a real thing about fancy grain timber and that sure ticks all the boxes.

Managed to salvage a flowering cherry tree with awesome contrasting grain patterns, Will make a stunning back and sides. Cant wait for the stuff to dry!!!

Best of luck with the project. Please post lots of progress photos.

Best wishes
    Glenn

Lands in my hands Thursday.

User Info Menu

The Music Emporium is about 20 minutes from me. They also have an awesome YT Channel. I haven't been to the shop yet. I'm too afraid of what might happen to my retirement fund.

User Info Menu

Hi All.

As I mentioned much earlier in this thread, I ordered a "Cameo" from Mark Campellone at the beginning of the year.

The wait is over and Mark began his artistry last week! The specs are below and I have attached pictures of the progress on the top and back.

Needless to say, I will pass on progress pictures.

My best,

Don Mills

M. CAMPELLONE GUITARS5 MAPLEVILLE RDGREENVILLE, RI 02828USA

CUSTOMER: DON MILLS
    2243 BAHAMA RD.
    LEXINGTON, KY 40509
    678-464-6676

MODEL: CAMEO

BODY: 17 X 3

NECK: 25.5 X 1&3/4

FINISH: CHESTNUT SB

NOTES:

FLOATING PU W/VOLUME ONLY
    3 PIECE NECK
    PREMIUM QUILTED MAPLE BACK & RIM
    HEEL MOUNT STRAP BUTTON
    PROGRESS PICS

Attached are pictures of the
    Attached Images Attached Images The new CAMPELLONE V1K model begins-img_0788_1-back-resawn-faced-up-jpg The new CAMPELLONE V1K model begins-top-not-resawn-yet-jpg The new CAMPELLONE V1K model begins-potential-back-1-jpg The new CAMPELLONE V1K model begins-top-resawn-faced-up-jpg The new CAMPELLONE V1K model begins-img_0808_1-top-back-jpg 

User Info Menu

Don,

It's probably not the best idea to leave your address and phone numberr on a forum on internet !

Beside that, thanks for sharing your building experience
    Looking forward for more progress pics !

User Info Menu

now that's a prime chunk of blister, bubble, quilted maple......yikes!

User Info Menu

Thanks much! Don6200

Congrats in advance Don ! Can't wait to see the end result.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone
    In case anyone was wondering.
    Ha! - very interesting to see that body shape comparison - cool!!!

A lot don't realize the thick piece of wood it requires to make top and back plates. Then when carving it you never know if there is a knot or big mineral streak hiding in the middle. Of course it doesn't effect sound just visual. Mark certainly has a good source for his woods as did Gibson. I remember when Jimmy D was building my NYer he was always stressed trying to get good flame maple. This was early 80's and flame maple was hard to get. He had to pay big bucks for it. He said people wouldn't buy his guitars unless they looked like a bengal tiger. He was adamant that plain maple like Norlin Gibson's sounded better though. The best sounding guitar I ever owned was a 1978 S400. Not a spec of flame. A big part of the archtop love though is visual. Mark Campellone wouldn't sell many guitars if the wood wasn't pretty. The visual part is as important as the sound. Archtop lovers want that eye candy too. My new V1K I stare at it for a while before I play it.
    Last edited by vinnyv1k; 06-23-2020 at 04:21 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Soulero
    Here are some more shots of my guitar. I'll try to add a video of me playing it in the future.
    Hello Gentleman,

I have been following some of the Campellone Archtop threads and I have a question. What is that inside the guitar when looking through the pickup cutouts?

looks like plastic bubble wrap, maybe for electric archtop feedback..??

wondering..

Thanks , Nick71

The new CAMPELLONE V1K model begins-0b426180-ba59-4eed-b961-6e81fdc48596-jpg

User Info Menu

Judging from the production state, that appears to be something like bubble wrap placed inside the body to protect the back from overspray when the finish is sprayed. It would be removed after the finish is complete.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    Judging from the production state, that appears to be something like bubble wrap placed inside the body to protect the back from overspray when the finish is sprayed. It would be removed after the finish is complete.
    Right - it's just crumpled up newspaper -

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    Thank You..

User Info Menu

Hi all.

As you may recall, I have a Campellone "Special." It's # 3220407. Think of it as a Johnnie Smith L-5. Blond, flame maple, standard scale, et cetera. I was introduced to Mark through a Guitar pro in Atlanta who showed me his John Monteleone and then let me play his "Campy." I think this was in 2005.

Soon after, Mark and I began planning #322. His lead-time was over a year at that time! over the course of the conversation he selected the wood to put aside for that future build.

Sometime later, Mark called saying he had a spot open up and asked if I wanted to proceed. Well, absolutely!

I drove from Lexington, KY to RI when it was ready. What a treat I returned home with! #322 is still "opening up." Ambrosia!

Last year I called Mark asking if he could put me in line for a "Cameo." It will be born with the completion of the 5 guitars Mark is now building!

Specs:

MODEL: CAMEO

BODY: 17 X 3

NECK: 25.5 X 1&3/4

FINISH: CHESTNUT SB

NOTES:

FLOATING PU W/VOLUME ONLY
    3 PIECE NECK
    PREMIUM QUILTED MAPLE BACK & RIM

HEEL MOUNT STRAP BUTTON
    PROGRESS PICS
    The new CAMPELLONE V1K model begins-20191128_010318-special-jpgThe new CAMPELLONE V1K model begins-back-not-resawn-yet-jpgThe new CAMPELLONE V1K model begins-20191128_010318-special-jpgThe new CAMPELLONE V1K model begins-20191128_010318-special-jpgThe new CAMPELLONE V1K model begins-img_0788_1-back-resawn-faced-up-jpgThe new CAMPELLONE V1K model begins-top-resawn-faced-up-jpg

More pix to come.

Attached Images Attached Images The new CAMPELLONE V1K model begins-img_0611_1-quilted-maple-jpg