The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
Posts 151 to 175 of 436

User Info Menu

Beautiful wood. I have had a "Special" for 10+ years. Love it. It's antique blond with flame maple back and rims. Mark was great to work with and sent me progress pictures as it was built. I drove to RI to get it. I was delighted to finally play it and it has been a joy since then.

I am working with Mark on a Cameo. We settled on the specs today! The back and rims will be quilted maple this time.

I'll post the progress. It's scheduled to start sometime in June. Can't wait.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Congrats Don ! I talked to Mark today and told me about the up and coming Cameo.
    How exciting. Can’t wait to see it and drool.

User Info Menu

Speaking of Dagmar, no connection, but these are so over-the-top in every way, and a powerful object lesson in why one should buy a Campellone.
    Attached Images Attached Images The new CAMPELLONE V1K model begins-dagmar-1-jpg 

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    V1K model = a mixture of a Standard, Deluxe, and a Special with special diamond fretboard inlays ( Mark’s idea ).
    17x3x25x1-11/16. Built in humbucker. Thick top. Blonde.
    Vinny, you've got me wondering about the thickness of the top, that was partially answered my Mark already, but... The question is...
    Wont you prefer a lighter top for acoustic sound? Will a thicker top be responsive enough to justify using a Carved Solid Wood?
    After comparing my Light top carved srpuce and maple L-5 specs Mr.Wu guitar and a real Gibson L-5 Wesmo (same pickups but much more thicker top and heavy guitar), both with the same amp in the same room i can say that: the thicker top was way more responsive (amplified) and the sound was far more fat and the dynamic range was greater in the
    Same pickup, 0.12 strings, tuneomatic, same everything.
    The acoustic sound probably was better in my Mr.Wu guitar. But the amplified sound not.
    Good luck with your new build.

Enviado desde mi LG-H870 mediante Tapatalk

Exactly. I really don’t like a lively bright acoustic tone. I always play amplified. I own no acoustic guitars. Just hollow electrics. I love a darker tone. Thin tops take away some mid woody tone and really affects the bottom end. I like subdued highs, full mids, and thick huge bass. This is a big reason I like the modern L5 with there thick tops.

What I like about my Special is it has all that just way more defined.
    Also even with the thick top and humbucker it is extremely loud unplugged even with flat wounds. It is very loud unplugged but not over bright. My L5’s unplugged don’t have a lot of volume.
    Somehow Mark figured out how to build the better mousetrap L5 wise.
    Last edited by vinnyv1k; 02-22-2020 at 01:40 PM.

Body complete. Top carved just like I wanted....thick. The new CAMPELLONE V1K model begins-f4b458a7-2e79-4c0c-91bf-62abad07c63f-jpgThe new CAMPELLONE V1K model begins-d2210af7-d474-4b06-86cf-50bd9ba08b83-jpg

User Info Menu

Exactly. I really don’t like a lively bright acoustic tone. I always play amplified. I own no acoustic guitars. Just hollow electrics. I love a darker tone. Thin tops take away some mid woody tone and really affects the bottom end. I like subdued highs, full mids, and thick huge bass. This is a big reason I like the modern L5 with there thick tops.

What I like about my Special is it has all that just way more defined.
    Also even with the thick top and humbucker it is extremely loud unplugged even with flat wounds. It is very loud unplugged but not over bright. My L5’s unplugged don’t have a lot of volume.
    Somehow Mark figured out how to build the better mousetrap L5 wise.
    You and me both brother. I always get a little riled up when someone implies that the acoustic sound is "the" real test of a guitar, or that the amplified sound needs to convey the acoustic properties (by which they mean 'unamplified' properties). I love that fat electric sound with all the complexity the the hollow body imparts. I suspect your Campy is exactly the guitar I would love to play.

BTW I am still just loving the Princeton Reverb Reissue from Sweetwater you recommended. Wow, what a sweet sounding amp.

User Info Menu

To me, there is nothing like the sound of a guitar with the right mix of thick electric tone (picked close to the neck) AND acoustic bliss blended together, entering your ears at the same time.
    Big Mike’s Standard had that. And a certain Ribbecke Halfling that I played one time had it too.
    To some extent, the Solid Formed had that magical mix too.

User Info Menu

to me acoustic tone is huge factor...even on solidbodies...electronics can be changed out...but a dead acoustic tone can never be overcome...maybe for a very specific playing style...but for a generally great sounding guitar, its acoustic tone is essential...the electronics just magnify or add to that

like guys that stuff their archtops with insulating materials..through the f holes...because the guitar feeds back..well, your playing the wrong guitar for your needs..its not the guitar...its you!!

as i writ in recent post, readjust yourself before readjusting the guitar

ex- many young players were blown away by buddy holly when he first came on the scene...his strats sound..well it was because he was not only being mic'd from the amp (if at all), but also the acoustic resonance of the strat was comin through his vocal mic as well...made for a huge sound!!! far more than just a mic'd amp

if i pick up a strat and it doesnt sound good acoustically, i know i have my work cut out for me!

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Don6200
    Beautiful wood. I have had a "Special" for 10+ years. Love it. It's antique blond with flame maple back and rims. Mark was great to work with and sent me progress pictures as it was built. I drove to RI to get it. I was delighted to finally play it and it has been a joy since then.

I am working with Mark on a Cameo. We settled on the specs today! The back and rims will be quilted maple this time.

I'll post the progress. It's scheduled to start sometime in June. Can't wait.
    Hi Don, that's a good recommendation, having a Special for 10years and now ordering a Cameo !
    i have a DeLuxe on order also scheduled for a start in June, we will all look forward to seeing the
    progress on the Cameo, the " ultimate" Archtop, I will be patient waiting for the Deluxe, Mark is
    a very pleasant and helpful man to deal with, little wonder he is popular with our fraternity
    Good luck with the Cameo.

Quote Originally Posted by silverfoxx
    Hi Don, that's a good recommendation, having a Special for 10years and now ordering a Cameo !
    i have a DeLuxe on order also scheduled for a start in June, we will all look forward to seeing the
    progress on the Cameo, the " ultimate" Archtop, I will be patient waiting for the Deluxe, Mark is
    a very pleasant and helpful man to deal with, little wonder he is popular with our fraternity
    Good luck with the Cameo.
    You both will be in the same batch so the sawdust from both will intermingle making both guitars extra special. Congrats !

User Info Menu

You'll be not Blood Brothers but Wood Brothers.

Body routed for binding. The new CAMPELLONE V1K model begins-baf01cd4-5c68-4269-9540-12de6dadc598-jpg

Look at how nice and clear that spruce is. Vinny a happy boy.

User Info Menu

Vinny- the word clean is synonymous with everything going into - and coming out of Marks shop. I doubt you’ll find any raw wood with dirt on it. I’m still waiting to see sawdust ....on something.

Quote Originally Posted by QAman
    Vinny- the word clean is synonymous with everything going into - and coming out of Marks shop. I doubt you’ll find any raw wood with dirt on it. I’m still waiting to see sawdust ....on something.
    Like I said before his shop is cleaner than a surgery room in a hospital. I thought I saw sawdust on the floor once but Mark was quick to correct me that it was chipped floor paint not sawdust.

Body is completed The new CAMPELLONE V1K model begins-d4650214-410c-4179-a724-b8666e4b7466-jpgThe new CAMPELLONE V1K model begins-7bf65614-7bcf-45e6-a7d7-c83406b90614-jpgThe new CAMPELLONE V1K model begins-49e6c304-c0af-428c-95f1-ef1ad12b7661-jpg

User Info Menu

OH Wow.. That is nice. I cant wait to see it with a finish on it, its gonna look even better.
    And I wouldnt be a bit surprised if Mark didn't stay up all night repainting the floor after you pointed out the imperfection that you thought was dust..
    JD

3 inch body depth is so comfortable for me. I get shoulder pain at times with 3-3/8. It amazes me that 3/8 of a inch makes such a difference in comfort. Johnny Smith and Tal Farlow were on to something with the 3 inch body depth.

User Info Menu

It looked super figured before carving, now not so much.
    But once that finish is applied, look out, it's gonna ppp-POP!

User Info Menu

3 inch body depth is so comfortable for me. I get shoulder pain at times with 3-3/8. It amazes me that 3/8 of a inch makes such a difference in comfort. Johnny Smith and Tal Farlow were on to something with the 3 inch body depth.
    Its funny, something along these lines was in the EMail I sent you the other night.
    The Solid Formed is 3-3/8 at the rims. It took me a little while to zero in on it. 3" depth is really just right. Like a glove.
    Vin, I hope this guitar makes you as happy as the Special does. Its beautiful to watch you. Its like you are 11 years old again, getting your 1st bike.
    You deserve it bro. I'm happy for you.
    Joe D

User Info Menu

Looking great Vinny. I’m sure your pleased with the progress. Marks productivity is just amazing.

User Info Menu

Vinny,

I am jealous (not the jazz solo) that your build is ahead of mine. Love the pix you posted. Keep them coming. I ordered my "Special" in 2003 and picked it up from Mark the middle of 2004 (# 3220407). I has a flamed maple back and matching rims and finished antique blond. It is very similar to the first blond guitar in Mark's web page gallery #1501298.

The specs for the "Cameo" finally gelled well after I ordered it. All the dimensions remain the same as my "Special" but with quilted maple back and rims. I have never been able to get away from the Gibson L-5C dimensions of my first archtop.

Keep in touch, Don Mills

User Info Menu

Like I said before his shop is cleaner than a surgery room in a hospital. I thought I saw sawdust on the floor once but Mark was quick to correct me that it was chipped floor paint not sawdust.
    Quote Originally Posted by Max405
    ...I wouldnt be a bit surprised if Mark didn't stay up all night repainting the floor after you pointed out the imperfection that you thought was dust.. JD
    Sheesh, here's a picture of sawdust on the shop floor.
    Attached Images Attached Images The new CAMPELLONE V1K model begins-campellone_1-shop-picture-sawdust-jpg 

User Info Menu

Nice Hammer.. You probably just gave Mark a nervous breakdown..

But you know, the secret to Marks success is sprinkled throughout that picture. I see jig's, everywhere. And even the jigs are exquisitely crafted. Probably why his product is always so precise and consistant.
    JD