The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
Posts 126 to 150 of 436

User Info Menu

Mrs.k and I just celebrated our 52nd Anniversary. All my tools of the trade were approved, and in many cases insisted upon, by my infinitely better half. I am blessed.
    Last edited by citizenk74; 02-18-2020 at 10:06 PM. Reason: There is a U in "our"

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    Zina, my wife feeds me because she loves me, not because I demand it. We both care for the other more than we care for ourselves. I know that isn't always the case in a marriage, perhaps it isn't in most. I don't know, because my sample size is only one, and I do not pry into other marriages. Living alone with a guitar is not an attractive thought to me. I could bear to live without a guitar, but not without my wife. Perhaps someday you will find a man you love more than guitars. Or perhaps not. I believe the former would be better than the latter, as long as he loved you the same.
    Yes, you're right, and that's nicely put; thank you. I was being a little flippant, because I often see guitarists write about unfriendly wives who complain. My parents loved each other very much, so I have had a good example of the contrary; just like you said. In the meantime though, it's too early for a husband, so I'm still choosing the archtop, but I'll strike Patagonia!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Zina
    Yes, you're right, and that's nicely put; thank you. I was being a little flippant, because I often see guitarists write about unfriendly wives who complain. My parents loved each other very much, so I have had a good example of the contrary; just like you said. In the meantime though, it's too early for a husband, so I'm still choosing the archtop, but I'll strike Patagonia!
    Well, my friend who bought my L-5 Ces lives in Patagonia. It is a beautyfull place, i have been there many times but i like the cities, car crashes and computers and guitar shops, and fast food places.
    By the way, he is very happy and does have a channel on youtube where he uses his *ex-mine* guitar for jazz tutorials:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MCampellone
    Hi Gustavo - I'm glad you've had a chance to play one of my guitars and I thank you for your kind comments.

To answer your questions, I know I've mentioned this before, but it's probably worth repeating - the archtop guitar was originally designed as an acoustic instrument, before pickups were even invented, and there are qualities in a good acoustic instrument that will create problems if you amplify it with a pickup. A guitar that is very responsive acoustically will usually have very uneven response when amplified, with lots of "hot spots" and "dead spots" in certain ranges. Building the guitar more heavily (with a thicker top and back) will of course inhibit acoustic response, but it will usually help to even out the response when amplified, so you'll get more even sustain throughout the instrument's range, with less hot/dead spot intensity. Having the pickup and controls mounted to the top will also inhibit its vibration, though I don't think that the particular positioning of the controls is much of an issue. Also worth mentioning, I've found that even with built-in pickup and controls, a solid carved wood archtop will have slightly greater dynamic range than one with laminated top and back construction, and many players prefer the attenuated response of laminated archtops for amplified performance.
    Mark, thank you for answering to my question!!! The conjuntion of a built-in pickup and a carved wood makes a magic which is very difficult to understand to me... inspires me in a way in which a dead sounding laminated in no way does it.
    Vinny, i have been also a Gibson blind, but as much as you I changed my mind.
    Kind regards.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    Zina, my wife feeds me because she loves me, not because I demand it. We both care for the other more than we care for ourselves. I know that isn't always the case in a marriage, perhaps it isn't in most. I don't know, because my sample size is only one, and I do not pry into other marriages. Living alone with a guitar is not an attractive thought to me. I could bear to live without a guitar, but not without my wife. Perhaps someday you will find a man you love more than guitars. Or perhaps not. I believe the former would be better than the latter, as long as he loved you the same.
    Sir I have always appreciated your contribution on this forum. With this, you have joined the elite in my thinking. I too am married to a woman with whom I have been able to utterly lose myself, and she with me. We try to serve each other and advance each other in life, we gave up on calculating relative sacrifices many years ago and decided that we each owe so much to the other it's likely best not to know. To be sure, I'd miss my guitars, but I would let them all go forever in a moment if it meant losing her.

I think Dizzy Gillespie once referred to Charlie Parker as "the other half of my heartbeat."

That really is how I see my wife, and how she sees me. Just between us, I still claim I come out ahead in the Grand Bargain. I also sincerely wish for every person the kind of real life, tears and sweat, diapers and late nights, partnership that I've enjoyed these 42 years.

Sweet The new CAMPELLONE V1K model begins-940511f7-e121-46ef-b4e3-f2618dd3fbfc-jpg

Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74
    Mrs.k and I just celebrated our 52nd Anniversary. All my tools of the trade were approved, and in many cases insisted upon, by my infinitely better half. I am blessed.

I think Mrs.k is a very lucky woman also. Mr.k is one of the nicest on the forum.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    Sir I have always appreciated your contribution on this forum. With this, you have joined the elite in my thinking. I too am married to a woman with whom I have been able to utterly lose myself, and she with me. We try to serve each other and advance each other in life, we gave up on calculating relative sacrifices many years ago and decided that we each owe so much to the other it's likely best not to know. To be sure, I'd miss my guitars, but I would let them all go forever in a moment if it meant losing her.

I think Dizzy Gillespie once referred to Charlie Parker as "the other half of my heartbeat."

That really is how I see my wife, and how she sees me. Just between us, I still claim I come out ahead in the Grand Bargain. I also sincerely wish for every person the kind of real life, tears and sweat, diapers and late nights, partnership that I've enjoyed these 42 years.
    Beautiful Lawson, just beautiful. And sgosnell's post was as well.

Count me among the "many guitars, one wife" group who would lose all of the guitars before the wife.

I have 15 guitars and have owned about 85 others.

I have one wife but have been intimate with over 50 other women prior to settling down with my better half (and that is no Wilt Chamberlain exaggeration/BS).

I do think (for most of us) a variety of guitars/partners is necessary along the way to finding the right one (or the right many). After all, whether it is guitars or life partners, how can you know what you like until you have laid hands on a few?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    Sweet The new CAMPELLONE V1K model begins-940511f7-e121-46ef-b4e3-f2618dd3fbfc-jpg
    Bro, If I was a really small living thing, I would love to live inside of your guitar.. Its like a palace in there.
    JD

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    Beautifully said Lawson.

From 1970, until I retired in 1995, I was an air-traffic-controller in the New York metro area. The first time I saw my wife Cynthia, who was also an air-traffic-controller, I knew that one day she and I would marry. A short while later we did, and I also came out ahead in our partnership. After a few years, I attended Law School which meant that for four nights a week for four years I was hardly ever at home. Hence, most of our family responsibilities rested on her shoulders along with the major challenge of raising our four daughters without much help from me.

Over the years a steady stream of guitars and amplifiers came in the door with nary a complaint from Cynthia. For a number of years we've been empty nesters with the concomitant vacant bedrooms. One is the "guitar room" the other is my wife's backup clothes closet. I'd like to think that this was the first 50-50 split we ever wound up making since we each got a room. But then I remembered our cellar and the train layout--ostensibly for our grandchildren--the driveway with "our" Mustang GT 500, and a few other things and realized I was way ahead again.

One more thing. Two years ago I had prostate surgery. A few months ago sepsis and pneumonia-both involved weeks of convalesce. I had the best nurse you could ever ask for.

No partnership is ever a 50-50 split--one person will always wind up contributing more then the other. The wisest decision I ever made was marrying my beautiful loving wife Cynthia.

Tony D.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Max405
    Bro, If I was a really small living thing, I would love to live inside of your guitar.. Its like a palace in there.
    JD

hahaha..i thought the exact same thing!!!

cheers

ps- i knew this was gonna be a great thread...said it right off ^... not only seeing the build in progress, but all the other beautiful tributes & revelations besides!!! well done all around

User Info Menu

Mark is a very good egg.
    I owned a Deluxe about ten years ago, realized the quality of Mark's guitars, and then asked him to build me an 18" blonde, non cut in 2012. I'm still enjoying it and I still remember the day it arrived at my home.
    It was a humid, wet day in the Carolinas and the UPS dude left it beside my home. I took the box into the garage and opened it quickly. I ordered a gator skin Cedar Creek case with it, too. Brown.
    Eight years later the blonde has turned golden and the binding has yellowed a little. There is some checking on it and it sounds wonderful. The wood has dried sufficiently so that there is now a reverb to the higher register of notes.
    I have a Gibson S400 and it's excellent, too. But the Campy is special. It was made for me. Mark took the time to send me pics along the build process.
    He made life happy for me then.
    Thanks, Mark.

The V1K Model The new CAMPELLONE V1K model begins-a5f7c816-634b-4428-a4f1-70a9aae01a61-jpgThe new CAMPELLONE V1K model begins-3d65e90f-fb28-4dad-a1f3-1c5ddf3b3126-jpg

side note : v1k is my technical code at work. Vinny my name. Hence how I came up with my handle here.

User Info Menu

That’s beautiful Vin. Maybe Mark could put a light in there?
    JD

User Info Menu

The V1K Model
    Cool. What makes it a V1K Model? Inquiring minds need to know.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone
    Cool. What makes it a V1K Model? Inquiring minds need to know.
    ..I'm betting even the interior label will have m.o.p. inlays and will somehow glow ............

......Just kidding Vinny, honest ! It looks gorgeous !
    Last edited by Dennis D; 02-20-2020 at 11:41 PM.

User Info Menu

Gorgeous!

V1K model = a mixture of a Standard, Deluxe, and a Special with special diamond fretboard inlays ( Mark’s idea ).
    17x3x25x1-11/16. Built in humbucker. Thick top. Blonde.
    Last edited by vinnyv1k; 02-21-2020 at 12:11 PM.

User Info Menu

V1K model = a mixture of a Standard, Deluxe, and a Special with special diamond fretboard inlays ( Mark’s idea ).
    17x3x25x1-1/16. Built in humbucker. Thick top. Blonde.
    Love the vagueness!
    Which Standard, Deluxe, and Special feechures, or will he just, you know, surprise you?

User Info Menu

That’s beautiful Vin. Maybe Mark could put a light in there?
    JD
    What he needs is a full-blown lightshow embedded in the fretboard, confetti shooting out of the f-holes after a really good solo, a drinks tray that folds out of the tailpiece, and a siren that goes off when he starts "Feelings".

User Info Menu

17x3x25x1-1/16. Built in humbucker. Thick top. Blonde.
    It was either the V1K, or the Jane Mansfield.
    I like the V1K!

User Info Menu

It’s coming along nice Vinny - thanks for sharing pics of the build.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone
    Love the vagueness!
    Which Standard, Deluxe, and Special feechures, or will he just, you know, surprise you?
    It was well planned out with Mark coming up with the final touch.
    Stay tuned and you will see it unfold.
    So far you have seen Deluxe F-holes. The binding will be Standard single ply.
    I am actually more excited this time than my Special as now I know how good it is going to be. This will be my Swan Song guitar. My last.

For me the builder / customer relationship becomes almost better than the guitar it shelf. I gained a great love for Jimmy D’Aquisto many years ago. I feel the exact same love and respect for Mark Campellone now. A special bond happens that can never happen buying a production guitar. The guitar becomes way more special also. For me now I enjoy playing my Campellone more than my Gibson’s.
    That is a huge statement coming from me. Everyone knows I am a HUGE Gibson boy.

User Info Menu

It was either the V1K, or the Jane Mansfield.
    I like the V1K!
    Jayne Mansfield, please.
    Classic Curbside Classic: 1967 Buick Electra 225 Convertible – The Jayne Mansfield Of Cars

But I prefer "The Dagmar." Virginia Ruth Egnor started something ... big.
    Mileposts in Design: Cadillac’s “Dagmars” – An Intimate Look At Their Origins, Development and Namesake