The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Posts 101 to 125 of 436

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Max405
    I PRAY Mark says this to me one day soon..
    He will don’t worry......your in good hands.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    i assume that this would be just the thread to ask mr. campellone about his background...i'd assume he comes from a line of woodworkers and maybe even instrument makers...that kind of eye & understanding is difficult to learn otherwise...not impossible! but...

cheers
    Well, no instrument makers among my ancestry - all my grandparents came from small villages in southern Italy - don't know details about my mom's family, but my dad's family owned some land which included olive groves and vineyards, where they raised some animals and produced olive oil and wine - as mentioned in my bio, though, there was a lot of artistic talent in my mom's immediate family - all three of her brothers were excellent craftsmen - I recall as a kid being impressed by how much pride they took in doing fine quality work - I guess that set a standard for me, and I've always tried to achieve that same fine quality in my work -
    Last edited by MCampellone; 02-16-2020 at 04:50 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    Joe,
    He'll give his reasoning, but in my mind that's the safest place.
    The original electric guitars, the Gibson ES-150 and 250 had t.p. jacks and you've probably never seen a cracked side on one of those as a result.
    I have no idea why they switched to rim mounted jacks save for saving a little money as the originals used more hardware.
    But there are countless side mounted jacks that have cracked and frequently shattered rims. How many times have we seen an otherwise beautiful guitar w a huge plate covering an ugly crack...many!

I'm gonna disagree w NA about this, there's no discernable change in tone imo and almost zero chance of rim cracking and I see no bother!
    For acoustic archtops with floating pickup, you obviously want to have no mounted components which would impede the body's vibration, so mounting the jack in the end-block (where there is minimal vibration) makes the most sense - but for archtops with body mounted pickups and controls, the response of the top is already significantly altered, so jack location is a relative non-issue in terms of how it might affect tonal quality - it is important, though, that rim mounted jacks have internal reinforcement to avoid a rim crack situation.

User Info Menu

Maestro Campellone, i admire very much your work. Sadly in my country (argentina) there isnt a single chance to hear or play your instruments. I recently played in Tokyo an standard model (24,75 scale and floating pickup) in a guitar store and i was amazed by the quality of that guitar.
    Regarding your comments about the top vibration altered by set pickups, knobs, etc... I would like to ask you specifically about amplified tone. (I chase the L-5 Wesmo tone and very big dynamic range, i dont like two set pickups versions of L-5 and laminated wood guitars because they dont have that dynamic response, and sadly i need at least a 3/4 nut width).

Is a good acoustic instrument a good electric one? Some top vibration should be avoided? A thicker top is desirable? The positions of tone and volume knobs contributes to that amazing sound?
    I play a kind of music in which i need more dynamic response than traditional jazz and the difference between the two pickups L-5 version and the one pickup L-5 are very big.
    Thank you very much!

Enviado desde mi LG-H870 mediante Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MCampellone
    For acoustic archtops with floating pickup, you obviously want to have no mounted components which would impede the body's vibration, so mounting the jack in the end-block (where there is minimal vibration) makes the most sense - but for archtops with body mounted pickups and controls, the response of the top is already significantly altered, so jack location is a relative non-issue in terms of how it might affect tonal quality - it is important, though, that rim mounted jacks have internal reinforcement to avoid a rim crack situation.
    That was the refered message above.
    Thanks

User Info Menu

Well, no instrument makers among my ancestry - all my grandparents came from small villages in southern Italy - don't know details about my mom's family, but my dad's family owned some land which included olive groves and vineyards, where they raised some animals and produced olive oil and wine - as mentioned in my bio, though, there was much artistic ability in my mom's family - all three of her brothers were excellent craftsmen - I recall as a kid being impressed by how much pride they took in doing fine quality work - I guess that set a standard for me, and I've always tried to achieve that same fine quality in my work -
    thanks for your thoughtful response!!

and rest easy, you have achieved that fine quality!!!

continued success

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gustavo Eiriz

Maestro Campellone, i admire very much your work. Sadly in my country (argentina) there isnt a single chance to hear or play your instruments. I recently played in Tokyo an standard model (24,75 scale and floating pickup) in a guitar store and i was amazed by the quality of that guitar.

Well, GE, don't feel too bad - you've played one more than I ever have and I'm 10,000 miles closer ! But that hasn't stopped me - - I finally ordered one anyway.
    I can safely say if ever there were a guitar ordering experience where you wouldn't need a pre- purchase trial, buying from Mark C is one of them.

Dennis

User Info Menu

Mark,

While I'm not a luthier, common sense absolutely supports what you say. A carved top that's anchored with two mounted pickups, a pickguard resting on the pickup bezels, a toggle switch, and four knobs (maybe even a Bigsby!), is not going to have frequency nuance like an acoustic. It is now an electric guitar that may happen to be adequate acoustically for practice. There's nothing wrong with that type of guitar and a lot right, but don't waste your money trying to get that type of a guitar tap tuned.

I have a couple of guitars that try to split the difference. Two have a single mounted pickup, one with pots on the top and one with pots on the pickguard. Another is a Gibson Howard Roberts with a suspended pickup, an oval hole, mounted pots and laminated wood. They amplify very well and are okay acoustically but not great. There is a lot of workmanship in those guitars. Nonetheless I put them in the electric guitar category.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis D
    Well, GE, don't feel too bad - you've played one more than I ever have and I'm 10,000 miles closer ! But that hasn't stopped me - - I finally ordered one anyway.
    I can safely say if ever there were a guitar ordering experience where you wouldn't need a pre- purchase trial, buying from Mark C is one of them.

Dennis
    Agreed. Unfortunately I was Gibson blind almost my entire life. I wish I jumped on the Campy Train 20 years ago. Also if I was 10 years younger I would have a Campellone Cameo on order. A Citation at less than half the price and probably better quality. I have 9 Gibson archtops. Not 1 of them has the build quality of my Campellone. Don’t get me wrong I love my Gibson’s but the build quality of my Campellone is better. I have 3 L5 Wesmo’s and my Campellone sounds better IMO. Steve (QAman) was correct. A Campellone sounds like a really good 1960’s L5. Mine has a set humbucker and it is still a acoustic cannon. I was playing it unplugged one day and my wife told me to turn it down she was trying to watch tv.
    I wish I took Steve’s advice sooner but like I said Gibson blind. Not saying I don’t love Gibson but if you want the ultimate L5 experience and can live without a G on the headstock go with that C on the headstock. It is a G on steroids.
    I am the new poster boy for the Campellone Guitar Co. We need to do some photoshop work on my Mr.Magoo face though. Thank God for the digital world.

User Info Menu

Vinny - I was having lunch with my wife yesterday at our favorite Italian restaurant and telling her about your build. She remembers Mark from the early Five Towns shows and always admired his work and thought he was a very kind accommodating builder- which turned out to be true.

As I was explaining his current models - I showed her pics of the Cameo and she said it was stunning . Her next words were” so are you thinking about ordering one “ - of which I replied “ not sure.

But you are right - it’s an equivalent to a Citation - and becoming very tempting. Mark has only made 3, with a pending 4th.

She also feels your blonde would look cool in an aged blonde ( straw color) like an old Gibson - with an aged clear coat over the binding.

She has supported my guitar hobby for 30 plus years - and spent many hours with me In Jimmy D’Aquisto and John Monteleone’s shop.

So happy for your build and the excitement surrounding Mark Campellone’s offerings.
    Last edited by QAman; 02-17-2020 at 05:48 PM.

User Info Menu

Do not let that woman get away.

User Info Menu

qamans in good company...jim halls wife bought him his first d'aquisto..and was behind the "no binding" look of his later classic d'aquisto arch!

cheers

User Info Menu

Over 40 years ago my new wife, for our first Christmas, presented me with a Martin D28 (I was a folksinger at the time). Amazing woman, we just celebrated our 42nd anniversary.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    Over 40 years ago my new wife, for our first Christmas, presented me with a Martin D28 (I was a folksinger at the time). Amazing woman, we just celebrated our 42nd anniversary.
    Its great seeing you guys speak highly of your wives. That's a good way to be. We are lucky to feel that way.
    I am lucky too. Blessed.
    JD

User Info Menu

My wife and I have been married for coming up on 45 years. She begrudges every penny spent on herself, but doesn't complain at all about what I spend, so I try to limit that. I don't plan on letting her go anywhere either.

User Info Menu

My wife can play the piano quite well (passed grade 8 piano exam when she was at school), she likes playing baroque pieces a lot. We have a good Kemble-Yamaha upright piano in our living room so she often sits down and just plays whatever is on the stand. Currently she is playing some Rameau (La Villageoise).

So I get a lot of little piano recitals all day, it’s very nice for a music-lover!

My wife plays the cast iron frying pan. B flat when it hits my head.....LOL

User Info Menu

My wife cannot play "Three Blind Mice", but I didn't marry her for her musical ability. She does pretty well with a frying pan, though, but keeps it on the stove. Her greatest fear in life seems to be that I could starve, so she keeps putting massive amounts of food in front of me. As long as I keep her, I'll be assured of having plenty to eat.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    My wife plays the cast iron frying pan. B flat when it hits my head.....LOL

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gustavo Eiriz
    Regarding your comments about the top vibration altered by set pickups, knobs, etc... I would like to ask you specifically about amplified tone. (I chase the L-5 Wesmo tone and very big dynamic range, i dont like two set pickups versions of L-5 and laminated wood guitars because they dont have that dynamic response, and sadly i need at least a 3/4 nut width).

Is a good acoustic instrument a good electric one? Some top vibration should be avoided? A thicker top is desirable? The positions of tone and volume knobs contributes to that amazing sound?
    I play a kind of music in which i need more dynamic response than traditional jazz and the difference between the two pickups L-5 version and the one pickup L-5 are very big.
    Thank you very much!

Hi Gustavo - I'm glad you've had a chance to play one of my guitars and I thank you for your kind comments.

To answer your questions, I know I've mentioned this before, but it's probably worth repeating - the archtop guitar was originally designed as an acoustic instrument, before pickups were even invented, and there are qualities in a good acoustic instrument that will create problems if you amplify it with a pickup. A guitar that is very responsive acoustically will usually have very uneven response when amplified, with lots of "hot spots" and "dead spots" in certain ranges. Building the guitar more heavily (with a thicker top and back) will of course inhibit acoustic response, but it will usually help to even out the response when amplified, so you'll get more even sustain throughout the instrument's range, with less hot/dead spot intensity. Having the pickup and controls mounted to the top will also inhibit its vibration, though I don't think that the particular positioning of the controls is much of an issue. Also worth mentioning, I've found that even with built-in pickup and controls, a solid carved wood archtop will have slightly greater dynamic range than one with laminated top and back construction, and many players prefer the attenuated response of laminated archtops for amplified performance.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Grass
    Mark,

While I'm not a luthier, common sense absolutely supports what you say. A carved top that's anchored with two mounted pickups, a pickguard resting on the pickup bezels, a toggle switch, and four knobs (maybe even a Bigsby!), is not going to have frequency nuance like an acoustic. It is now an electric guitar that may happen to be adequate acoustically for practice. There's nothing wrong with that type of guitar and a lot right, but don't waste your money trying to get that type of a guitar tap tuned.

I have a couple of guitars that try to split the difference. Two have a single mounted pickup, one with pots on the top and one with pots on the pickguard. Another is a Gibson Howard Roberts with a suspended pickup, an oval hole, mounted pots and laminated wood. They amplify very well and are okay acoustically but not great. There is a lot of workmanship in those guitars. Nonetheless I put them in the electric guitar category.
    Amen, Marty - the minute you start screwing pickups and controls onto the top, it's not an acoustic guitar anymore : )

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Max405
    I PRAY Mark says this to me one day soon..
    It'll happen Joe : )

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Patlotch
    after all, don't guitars have feminine forms? I can see that some dream of a woman with guitar shapes. I dare not push the metaphor to sexual considerations. And then there, it's all about possession. It is true that saying 'my wife' or 'my guitar' is not much different

We should open a topic: Woman in your possession the longest
    Hmmm...kinda begs the question, what's better - one guitar and many wives, or one wife and many guitars? I'd go with the latter : )

User Info Menu

If anyone's interested in the other side's point of view: forget about husbands and their meals; get a hand-built archtop and go live in Patagonia.

User Info Menu

Zina, my wife feeds me because she loves me, not because I demand it. We both care for the other more than we care for ourselves. I know that isn't always the case in a marriage, perhaps it isn't in most. I don't know, because my sample size is only one, and I do not pry into other marriages. Living alone with a guitar is not an attractive thought to me. I could bear to live without a guitar, but not without my wife. Perhaps someday you will find a man you love more than guitars. Or perhaps not. I believe the former would be better than the latter, as long as he loved you the same.