The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 63

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greco
    I was recently talking to one of the employees at our local music store. He had been to NAMM and spent a lot of time with the Fender reps as the store is about to stock their Custom Shop line of products. Apparently there is a plan to bring out another amp in the ToneMaster "series" and, logically, I asked him if he knew which amp would be next. I said that I hoped it would be the Princeton Reverb (PR). He said he couldn't tell me anything specific, but indicated that he was "very doubtful" that it would be the PR. Maybe it will be the Super Reverb!!??
    My guess is it'll be a tweed amp. Bassman or Tweed Deluxe. Given they already have two blackface TM's, they'd get more buzz in the guitar world as well as sales with a tweed model.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

If Fender comes out with another Tone Master, I hope it's a Vibrolux Reverb. With 2x10's and 35 watts, it would be the perfect amp to fit between the 22 (100 digital) watt 1x12 DR and 85 (200 digital) watt 2x12 TR.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gitfiddler
    If Fender comes out with another Tone Master, I hope it's a Vibrolux Reverb. With 2x10's and 35 watts, it would be the perfect amp to fit between the 22 (100 digital) watt 1x12 DR and 85 (200 digital) watt 2x12 TR.
    it boggles the internet why Fender does not have a standard production "Reissue" of the VR... it's the ONE amp everyone seems to want, but Fender will not make it. They made a handwired reissue ONCE, but for some reason will not make an affordable PCB reissue version for the world... seems like the demand is high....

User Info Menu

I've played the Tone Master DR at a local shop and own a 68 RI. The TMDR is really close. Not exact but great and very close. In a mix no one would know the difference.

User Info Menu

It has always seemed strange to me how much more popular the Deluxe Reverb is compared to the Vibrolux. They weight more or less the same, same category when it comes to portability. Its probably that people prefer 1x12 to 2x10, plus the fact that the DR reissue is very similar to the old ones, whereas the VR not so much. But the early silverface VRs are truly great sounding amps!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Alter
    It has always seemed strange to me how much more popular the Deluxe Reverb is compared to the Vibrolux. They weight more or less the same, same category when it comes to portability. Its probably that people prefer 1x12 to 2x10, plus the fact that the DR reissue is very similar to the old ones, whereas the VR not so much. But the early silverface VRs are truly great sounding amps!
    Probably because of the confusion between the first Vibrolux Reverbs of the 60s and the recent Custom Vibrolux Reverb and the most recent '68 Custom Vibrolux Reverb (CVR & 68CVR).
    I've never played the BF version but I extensively demoed the DRRI, TRRI, and a CVR. The CVR has no negative feedback loop so it has a lot of idle hiss and breaks up really early before much clean tone. A blues amp. It is loud. The DRRI was dead quiet and had a nice low volume clean but broke up sweetly around 4. Much better for jazz or pop. $100 cheaper than the CVR and few pounds lighter. The TRRI was actually the best sounding low volume clean - rich and 3D. But it was $400 more than the CVR and much heavier and larger (2x12). I haven't tried a 68 CVR but I understand it's more of the early break-up thing for blues.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    I am amazed at how many people who really put the time in to give the Tone Masters an informed, careful trial, are really happy. Only a very small number come away unimpressed. My TMTR is tied with my PRRI as my go-to amp, and recording with the TMTR is so easy that I tend to default to it. I actually forget sometimes how light it is because my set-up is pretty stable and I don't play out much. Still, if I have to move it for some reason, I am always expected "Twin Reverb... 70 pounds" and then BOOM it's so light.

Please post some clips of your amp! I'd love to hear it.
    Hey guys, If you're interested, here's a follow-up now that I've had a week of gigging with my new TMDR. This has been tech week for a pit orchestra gig I have for the show Hairspray. I've played the amp 4-5 hours every evening this week as we head into performances next week. Related to Lawson's post above, the other guitar player in the pit - a young guy - is using my '65 Princeton Reissue. (He showed up with an AC 30 and the sound guys looked at him and said..."Yeah...No!", so I offered him my PRRI.) The PRRI and TMDR next to each other sound incredible. What a pair!

The pit is set-up on the floor in front of the stage of the 800-seat theater; so we are using a mix of stage sound with mics/DIs to supplement and balance us. I I thought the attenuator on the Tone Master was going to be handy, but I didn't realize how much so. I'm using my ES-335, a pedal board with a variety of effects, and a volume pedal between the pedal board and amp for some self-mixing - especially when I have to duck the volume under the dialogue. But I'm telling you, it was such a game-changer when the sound guy said, "Skip, we love your tone, but can you turn down just a bit so we can control you more from the board?" I reached behind the amp and flipped the attenuator one click (to 12w) and that did it. My tone stayed perfectly intact, but my perceived level dropped. It was awesome! Of course the light weight is great. (It's actually 12 pounds lighter than my '65 PRRI with a 12" speaker.) In order to get to my seat in the pit, I have to step down onto my chair from the stage. I was able to do this with the TMDR in my hand. My 55-year-old back is loving that! This amp's a keeper for me. However, my first love will always be my '65 PRRI! - I guess I'm a Fender polygamist now!

User Info Menu

I’d never heard of “Tone Master” before. So, I went into Chicago Music Exchange to check out a Collings 360 LT M. In the audition room there were two Deluxe Reverbs - a silver face and a black face. I tried the guitar through both and both sounded exactly as they should to me. It wasn’t until I was leaving that I saw the “Tone Master” badge on the black face. I didn’t know what it meant, but googled it when I got home. I’d never have guessed. So, it’s on my list... I’d like to A/B it to my Quilter Micropro 200 Mach 2 set to the surf setting. Anyway, that’s my ‘no-bias’ story.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by uburoibob
    I’d never heard of “Tone Master” before. So, I went into Chicago Music Exchange to check out a Collings 360 LT M. In the audition room there were two Deluxe Reverbs - a silver face and a black face. I tried the guitar through both and both sounded exactly as they should to me. It wasn’t until I was leaving that I saw the “Tone Master” badge on the black face. I didn’t know what it meant, but googled it when I got home. I’d never have guessed. So, it’s on my list... I’d like to A/B it to my Quilter Micropro 200 Mach 2 set to the surf setting. Anyway, that’s my ‘no-bias’ story.
    Oh, that's really interesting! That's truly a blind/unbiased test, where you didn't even know what a Tone Master was while you were playing it. I also have a Quilter 101 Reverb that I play through a Raezer's Edge cab. I did plug the Quilter into my Princeton cab/speaker and A/B'd it with the Tone Master DR using my ES-175. The Quilter is certainly a Fender-like amp, but still not a quite a blackface - especially in the midrange. That's not at all to criticize it, though. I love it.

User Info Menu

I just opened up the box from Sweetwater for the Fender Tonemaster Deluxe Reverb amp I just bought. This amp is an upgrade from my Boss Katana 50 I just bought. I am down to this amp and a Fender 1964 Bandmaster head chassis loaded in a Fender Deluxe amplifier cab with Jensen neo speaker.

I unboxed it and placed it on a stand. Just turn on the power switch and the mute switch (standby ?)

Haven't played it yet but my first thought was what did I just pay $900 for?

Being 62 years old I place a value based on an item at this price that shows some sort of workmanship and ready visible components. Simply I can see and feel what I paid for.

Keep in mind my last amp was the Mesa Boogie California tweed. 4 6v6 tubes and 6 preamp tubes. I bought it for the 6v6 tonal character, (think Fender Princeton reverb amp), and the power attenurator 40, 20, 10, 5 and 1 watts. The Mesa had a great Jensen Blackbird speaker in it. It was heavy and awkward carrying. I sold it for financial reasons.

The appeal on this amp for me is an amplifier with power attenurator, and hopefully that Blackface tone. Also most importantly with my financial situation, 36-48 months interest free. So my month payment is extremely low. The light weight is an added bonus.

User Info Menu

Ah... just wait until you hear it!

I am shopping for an amp for my Nocaster and every time I audition one in the store it gets bumped to the top of the list.

User Info Menu

The "standby" simply cuts off the speaker so you can use the XLR out in a silent-stage setting, or recording where you only want to monitor on headphones. It's a "mute" mode. Your Gain and other controls are fully functional.

User Info Menu

Thank you for the explanation. I dont record so I'm not familiar with these types of features.

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    The "standby" simply cuts off the speaker so you can use the XLR out in a silent-stage setting, or recording where you only want to monitor on headphones. It's a "mute" mode. Your Gain and other controls are fully functional.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Wildcat
    Thank you for the explanation. I dont record so I'm not familiar with these types of features.
    Apart from recording--if you play somewhere that wants a line out to the PA and a silent stage, that's it. Also even if you don't use the mute, the output level through the XLR is independent of the speaker output, so you can adjust to your taste with the Gain and Attenuator, and the XLR has its own level knob. Very thoughtful set up and very simple to use.

User Info Menu

Enjoy - unless the sound is not to your personal tastes I suspect you will be a happy bunny - there are lots of us on the forum
    Ray

Hi

Maybe a silly question but should there be a notable hiss on the TMDR when on anything over the .2w attenuation?

I got mine recently and use the lowest setting when practicing mostly as we're in lockdown so no gigging, but I turned it up a couple of notches to try out and I thought the hiss was quite loud so not sure if its a fault or its supposed to sound like that. I've been using a helix for the past couple of years so maybe i'm just out of touch.

Best

Andy

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by andyguitarist
    Hi

Maybe a silly question but should there be a notable hiss on the TMDR when on anything over the .2w attenuation?

I got mine recently and use the lowest setting when practicing mostly as we're in lockdown so no gigging, but I turned it up a couple of notches to try out and I thought the hiss was quite loud so not sure if its a fault or its supposed to sound like that. I've been using a helix for the past couple of years so maybe i'm just out of touch.

Best

Andy
    hmmm... hiss comes from so many different possible reasons. I would search through the possibilities: bad cable, bad electricity (try a different outlet, also go in straight), are you next to a computer or another electrical thing like it, bad ground on guitar, noisy PUs... there has to be some I am missing... lights can also really suck...

User Info Menu

Another blindfold test involving a Fender Tonemaster (Deluxe):

User Info Menu

If it can help, in terms of pure sound, I have tested an audio recording on youtube between this Fender Solid State and the valve one. I can hear difference only listening these recordings with my pair of Shure SRH840 Headphones. I heard that the transients from the Solid State one are more sharper. For the rest is the same. It seems that the Solid State one sounds like more Hi-Fi. I analyzed the two recordings in parallel with a PAZ Frequency plugin from Waves and I found the same things I heard.
    Fender Tone Master DELUXE Reverb-schermata_2020-12-23_alle_11-33-18-png
    Overall the EQ is the same but the frequencies are a little more rough and pointed, especially between 4000 Hz and 2000 Hz. The tube one in that area is more rounded. Interesting to see that between 62 Hz and 20 Hz in the tube there's a lack of frequencies. This shows that tonemaster must be "heavily" equalized in that part to reach the Tube tone. But these are only my thoughts. Maybe this can help.

User Info Menu

I think what Fender should do next is Fender legacy Tonemaster head. A 100W head that comes with modelled iconic Fender amps. Champ, Tweed Deluxe, Bassman, Twin, Princeton, Super Reverb etc. Even their more recent hot rod and Pro Jn models.
    Imagine all these amps modelled at a high standard in a micro head package.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tal_175
    I think what Fender should do next is Fender legacy Tonemaster head. A 100W head that comes with modelled iconic Fender amps. Champ, Tweed Deluxe, Bassman, Twin, Princeton, Super Reverb etc. Even their more recent hot rod and Pro Jn models.
    This is a thing that maybe they are already doing, because is totally possible to do with the nowadayas technologies.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tal_175
    I would be all over that.

I just wanted to thank everyone for their posts and reviews of the Fender TDR - I picked one up yesterday and couldnt be happier with the tone and weight. Transformative!

Following up on my earlier post with additional information - I play guitar in a 6-piece jazz ensemble that includes 2 sax players, we play mostly small rooms, pubs etc, lately outdoors with the pandemic. My Fender Acoustic (I got due to the clean sound and so i could also sing through it), while sounding great sometimes, always sounded thin when with the rest of the band. If the saxes even played guide tones behind me during a solo, my sound got drowned out unless I turned the amp up really loud, which just didnt sound good. Looking forward to trying out my new Fender TDR at a gig tomorrow. Will post tomorrow after gig if I remember, how it fared. I am hoping will deliver fatter sound with lots more headroom.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wanderingwolf1958
    Following up on my earlier post with additional information - I play guitar in a 6-piece jazz ensemble that includes 2 sax players, we play mostly small rooms, pubs etc, lately outdoors with the pandemic. My Fender Acoustic (I got due to the clean sound and so i could also sing through it), while sounding great sometimes, always sounded thin when with the rest of the band. If the saxes even played guide tones behind me during a solo, my sound got drowned out unless I turned the amp up really loud, which just didnt sound good. Looking forward to trying out my new Fender TDR at a gig tomorrow. Will post tomorrow after gig if I remember, how it fared. I am hoping will deliver fatter sound with lots more headroom.