The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 37 of 37

User Info Menu

It's not possible to generalize, as so much depends on the speaker inside the bass combo. The eq shelves matter less, and bass amps usually have more eq knobs to tweak. A friend insisted on using an old Laney bass combo for his Emperor Regent, and the tone was awfully nasal. Among modern bass speakers, the Celestion BN12-300S Neo is great for guitar and is actually used in some boutique guitar cabs. It extends to 4 kHz with ease and handles distortion ok. It would be interesting to know how the small Phil Jones bass cabs work for guitar. Forgot to ask when I met him at NAMM. He uses two or more small-caliber drivers with an astonishing frequency range.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I have a chance to get a brand-new Fender Rumble 100 (100w, 1-12, 22 lbs) bass amp and slipcover at $100 less than street price - it's quite reasonably priced anyway - and I now have a bass, so I ordered it. Of course I'll try it with my guitars, too. Stay tuned for an assessment when I receive it. (I'm sort of tempted to try an Eminence Deltalite II 2512 in it, but 1st things 1st!)

User Info Menu

What about the bass cabinet itself? They tend to be deeper, right? I always assumed that reinforced the lower frequencies.

My current hypothesis is that
    1. the amp is a possibility (EQ is adjustable and bass amps can be squeaky clean, which is cool for jazz, if you like that)
    2. The speakers can work for guitar (the thing about blowing up speakers was backwards -- don't slam a guitar speaker with bass output)
    3. The cab may be "bassy".

User Info Menu

As stated above, the Fender Bassman amp was (is) a great amp for guitar.

Here's a young wipper-snapper having the nerve to play jazz on a Les Paul through a '60's Bassman amp.

Hello everyone! Has anyone here tried the tc electronic bg250.115 combo? or the peavey max 150? . I want to test it, looks interesting

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tal_175
    Bass speakers are designed to be able to handle longer cone travels. I can't see how they can be damaged by higher frequencies. The trade off of bass speaker could be that they may not able to produce very high frequencies articulately.
    I don't know about articulately, but they need to be able to reproduce (very) high frequencies correctly. Without that there'd be no slap bass or other percussive aspects to the sound.

That at least was the explanation of a former colleague of mine, bass player and physicist, when he shared his (big, Fender) bass amp with my borrowed e-violin during a lab party and I remarked on how surprisingly nice the trebles sounded.

On the low/small end of things, I've heard good guitar sounds coming out of the 10W Vox Pathfinder bass amp and would probably be getting one myself if I were in the market for such things.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gitterbug
    It would be interesting to know how the small Phil Jones bass cabs work for guitar.
    They’re great for guitar (especially 7s). I bought a Cub when they first came out and loved it so much I bought a Briefcase too. The electronics are excellent, the build quality is tops, and support is great. I needed a replacement locking nut for one of the micro switches, so I called to order a pair. It was well out of warranty. Phil answered the phone, had a nice long conversation with me, and sent me a bag of the tiny fasteners free.

The sound is clean, balanced from the low end to a few dB down at about 6k by my estimate, and on the warm side of clinical. No one will mistake it for a Princeton or a Twin. But there’s no SS glare and it lets the sound of each guitar come through unmolested. I used them for weeknight dinner time gigs because they were small, light, and powerful -I kept them in my office and ran out the door with one in a gig bag on a shoulder strap.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nevershouldhavesoldit
    They’re great for guitar (especially 7s). I bought a Cub when they first came out and loved it so much I bought a Briefcase too. The electronics are excellent, the build quality is tops, and support is great. I needed a replacement locking nut for one of the micro switches, so I called to order a pair. It was well out of warranty. Phil answered the phone, had a nice long conversation with me, and sent me a bag of the tiny fasteners free.

The sound is clean, balanced from the low end to a few dB down at about 6k by my estimate, and on the warm side of clinical. No one will mistake it for a Princeton or a Twin. But there’s no SS glare and it lets the sound of each guitar come through unmolested. I used them for weeknight dinner time gigs because they were small, light, and powerful -I kept them in my office and ran out the door with one in a gig bag on a shoulder strap.
    It's too bad they didn't make more models of guitar amps. At one point I'm sure I saw they have a 500W (??? maybe I'm dreaming but it could have been 300W) 1x12 combo guitar amp with a liquid cooled tweeter, or something exotic like that. I have the CUB and it's a nice small amp for acoustic guitar, and works for clean electric sounds, too.

On the low/small end of things, I've heard good guitar sounds coming out of the 10W Vox Pathfinder bass amp and would probably be getting one myself if I were in the market for such things.[/QUOTE]

the vox pathfinder bass is a pretty cool amplifier. if you don't need power, I think you'll like it. But it is good to remember that the sound pressure it produces is very modest.

User Info Menu

Bass amps can be really cool for guitar.

They tend to have more clarity in the low frequencies, the treble tends to be smooth rather than harsh. I think this is due to much lower tolerance for distortion and higher headroom than the guitar amp designs goals.

Some have handy graphical EQ built in.

All this can be interpreted as "sterile". But for more of an acoustic or modern jazz sounds they are great. You can always add a compressor (some have it built in) and a tube preamp if you want to add some squish, hair and character. But it can be hard to impossible to take those out.

SS amps have a nice tonal linearity regardless of where the volume is set as opposed to tube amps.

I've seen people trying to play a jazz gig with a Princeton Reverb, which sounds glorious at lower volume. But after the drummer has a few pints and starts hitting hard the smaller tube amps tend to disappear in the mix, and turning up just adds gain. Even bigger ones can be problematic and become shrill when played loud.

Back when I had a jazz jam band we had a guitar tube amp and a spare bass combo. I actually preferred the bass combo for H-575.

User Info Menu

i also like bass combo amps for a clean jazz sound ....
    sometimes you need to turn the bass
    knob down a bit (or a lot)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pingu
    i also like bass combo amps for a clean jazz sound ....
    sometimes you need to turn the bass
    knob down a bit (or a lot)
    That may be more of the cabinet's fault. A bass amp paired with a guitar cabinet can be perfect.