Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 16 of 16

User Info Menu

I just sold my 2013 Taylor T5z earlier this week. The guitar was shipped from western PA to North Carolina. The buyer sent me two sets of photographs of the guitar. Apparently he opened the guitar upon arrival. The buyer identified several issues. The first set of photographs show a chip missing at the bottom of the fret board. The other email maintains there is a buzzing issue and a bulge in the fretboard. He said he's taking it to Sam Ash an authorized Taylor rep.I thank the seller for the information and notice that it arrived safely. The first thing I asked is if he allowed the guitar to accumulate for a minimum of 24 hours. I mentioned the temp and moisture condition between PA and NC. I have not heard back as of yet.
    I discounted the guitar to price it below other similar models. Then he ask for another discount and free shipping which I gave.

The guitar was fully insured for the sale amount.
    Any thoughts? Please see below.
    Last edited by Wildcat; 01-17-2020 at 12:48 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Help Guitar shipping and temperature and humidity changes-20200117_095524-jpg
    Help Guitar shipping and temperature and humidity changes-20200117_095552-jpg
    Help Guitar shipping and temperature and humidity changes-20200117_095642-jpg
    Help Guitar shipping and temperature and humidity changes-20200117_095721-jpg

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

The danger in selling online is that some buyers are too nitpicky or dishonest to let a deal be a deal. I have had guitars come to me that needed a truss rod adjustment from the climate change or have an undisclosed flaw and I always figure that is the risk I took (unless the flaw is substantial). Sorry that this happened to you. If the extra discount that the buyer seeks is small, it is not worth fighting over. Negotiate your best deal with him and move on (and never buy or sell with him again).

User Info Menu

seems like there are a lot of slickerers and dickerers out there that have to get over or they’re fucking up in their minds.

I don’t try to make money on a deal, I sell it for what I paid, I’m not a profit monger, it’s not how I roll. If a friend tries to lowball me on something well it tells me they are no true friend.

settle with this creep and then block him, call eBay if you need assistance doing that.
    im truly sorry

big

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    The danger in selling online is that some buyers are too nitpicky or dishonest to let a deal be a deal. I have had guitars come to me that needed a truss rod adjustment from the climate change or have an undisclosed flaw and I always figure that is the risk I took (unless the flaw is substantial). Sorry that this happened to you. If the extra discount that the buyer seeks is small, it is not worth fighting over. Negotiate your best deal with him and move on (and never buy or sell with him again).

User Info Menu

Thank you for good thoughts.
    If anything I tend to under estimate how good of a condition a guitar is to avoid issues like this. I discounted the guitar knowing I was losing money.
    I listed on this forum, The Gear Page, Acoustic guitar forum, Craigslist, Reverb, and Ebay.
    Made up my mind this is the last transaction on Ebay. I have 450 transactions with 100% feedback over the past 14 years. Time to move on.

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger

User Info Menu

Thank you for the good thoughts.
    Kind of rattled me as I discounted it twice and paid for shipping and I get this.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigMikeinNJ
    seems like there are a lot of slickerers and dickerers out there that have to get over or they’re fucking up in their minds.

I don’t try to make money on a deal, I sell it for what I paid, I’m not a profit monger, it’s not how I roll. If a friend tries to lowball me on something well it tells me they are no true friend.

settle with this creep and then block him, call eBay if you need assistance doing that.
    im truly sorry

big

User Info Menu

I always list everything "wrong" in the description, but I also state that the sale is final, sold as is, no refunds full or partial.
    Haven't had an issue....

User Info Menu

Sorry about your experience Wildcat.
    I hope it works out.
    I don’t think an 24 hr acclimation period is necessary. I couldn’t last that long.
    JD

User Info Menu

I agree totally and it's worked for me. But I had a bad feeling about this guy. Passive aggressive type. Very picky. If my situation was different, I would have not sold it to him. I did hold off giving him feedback because it this.

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    I always list everything "wrong" in the description, but I also state that the sale is final, sold as is, no refunds full or partial.
    Haven't had an issue....

User Info Menu

I know the feeling. But I personally hold off for 24. Had a friend who taught, play out and graduated from Berkeley yell at me when I opened the guitar case outside on a cold day. Shut that case!

That chip was not there when I shipped it. Also the setup was good and guitar sounded great. No problems with the tone and electronics.

Quote Originally Posted by Max405
    Sorry about your experience Wildcat.
    I hope it works out.
    I don’t think an 24 hr acclimation period is necessary. I couldn’t last that long.
    JD

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Wildcat
    I know the feeling. But I personally hold off for 24. Had a friend who taught, play out and graduated from Berkeley yell at me when I opened the guitar case outside on a cold day. Shut that case!

That chip was not there when I shipped it. Also the setup was good and guitar sounded great. No problems with the tone and electronics.

To help mitigate these potential disputes over item condition, I tend to video any expensive item I am selling, just before placing the item in a shipping box. I keep the camera rolling until the item is sealed in the box.

User Info Menu

So the dust has settled on this mess. I'm out $85 for cleaning the electronics and repair of the finish chip.

So I have been thinking about this quite a bit. Bag out of the fee sites. So:
    1. Closed my Reverb account.
    2. Closed my PayPal account.
    3. In the process of closing my Ebay. By "process" I mean they don't let you close easily. Even with everything in order they make you wait 30 days.
    I have been on Ebay and PayPal since January 2005. Both were a great "toy" to play with. Buying and selling. I have 450 transactions with 100% feedback.
    But basically I have everything down to where I want it equipment wise. I tend to look at it as addition by subtraction.
    Made a new years resolution to buy and sell only on JGF!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Wildcat
    Made a new years resolution to buy and sell only on JGF!
    From me! Then life will always be very pleasant.

User Info Menu

Well there is a little method in my madness as I know the good people on this site treat each other with respect and comradeship not found anyplace else. And the occasional shameless selfpromoting of some. ;-).

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone
    From me! Then life will always be very pleasant.

User Info Menu

$$$$$ -------> Hammertone = Great times with great equipment!!!
    (Inner peace and harmony can be added at an additional cost.)
    Last edited by Wildcat; 01-23-2020 at 08:46 PM.