The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 44 of 44

User Info Menu

Pictures to follow but the guitar is done. I went with white (not aged, or off-white) and did replace the bridge assembly, though I found nothing wrong with the original single piece bridge/tremolo assembly, other than it did not 'look right' compared to what I'm used to seeing on a Stratocaster.

The nut replacement is taking hours and still not to my liking yet. The base of the nut slot is curved like the fingerboard. This makes shaving the bottom of the nut to fine tune height extremely difficult, because of the curvature.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

A little bit of the wiring mess I encountered:

1974 Fender Stratocaster & Silverface Deluxe-img_0312-jpg

User Info Menu

Original spring cavity:
    1974 Fender Stratocaster & Silverface Deluxe-img_0301-jpg

User Info Menu

Original bridge/tremolo unit:
    1974 Fender Stratocaster & Silverface Deluxe-img_0308-jpg

User Info Menu

1974 Fender Stratocaster & Silverface Deluxe-img_0393-jpg

User Info Menu

1974 Fender Stratocaster & Silverface Deluxe-img_0378-jpg
    1974 Fender Stratocaster & Silverface Deluxe-img_0381-jpg

User Info Menu

1974 Fender Stratocaster & Silverface Deluxe-stratocaster-new-wiring-jpg
    1974 Fender Stratocaster & Silverface Deluxe-img_0386-jpg

User Info Menu

1974 Fender Stratocaster & Silverface Deluxe-img_0376-jpg
    1974 Fender Stratocaster & Silverface Deluxe-img_0392-jpg

User Info Menu

Final product. One can contemplate the relative merits of a 'new' Custom Shop "1969" Stratocaster vs a 'real' 1974 with a 1969 bridge/tremolo.

1974 Fender Stratocaster & Silverface Deluxe-img_0394-jpg
    1974 Fender Stratocaster & Silverface Deluxe-custom-shop-1969-stratocaster-jpg

User Info Menu

...1968 "Woodstock" Stratocaster as played by Jimi and on display today; both the same guitar?? There may always be some mystery.

1974 Fender Stratocaster & Silverface Deluxe-hendrix-png
    1974 Fender Stratocaster & Silverface Deluxe-3386051937_eb4caa6b16_b-jpg

User Info Menu

1974 Fender Stratocaster & Silverface Deluxe-img_0395-jpg

User Info Menu

I love that '69 DR!!

I have a '77 that has been black-faced that sounds amazing. I bet your new/old '69 is killer. Well done!

User Info Menu

Beautiful guitar and fantastic photos. Thanks for posting.

Tony D.

User Info Menu

For a nut with a carved bottom, it's far easier to work on the top, by cutting the slots to the correct depth and then taking material off the top. But if you really want to take it off the bottom, use adhesive backed sandpaper (or use double-sided tape) affixed to a board with the required radius (usually 7.25"). That's still difficult, because the thin nut tends to rock and give an unsquare convex bottom. Better to just take it all off the top. At least that's my experience.

User Info Menu

Wow, great job restoring the strat and amp! They look 1000% better!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    For a nut with a carved bottom, it's far easier to work on the top, by cutting the slots to the correct depth and then taking material off the top. But if you really want to take it off the bottom, use adhesive backed sandpaper (or use double-sided tape) affixed to a board with the required radius (usually 7.25"). That's still difficult, because the thin nut tends to rock and give an unsquare convex bottom. Better to just take it all off the top. At least that's my experience.
    Exactly, however, I ordered the pre-slotted one from the Fender website, to save time. Of course 'the lazy man takes to longest road...'

User Info Menu

Yeah, if you bought a nut with a flat bottom, you have to either buy another or curve the bottom of the one you have.
    Considering the time involved, buying another may be more economical, but if you're like me, you'll probably spend the time and make what you have work. Been there, done that, and puked on the t-shirt.

User Info Menu

Nothing to do with Jazz, but this is what the Stratocaster sounds like through this amp. I can post something more fitting, like an archtop through the Deluxe later.

SoundClick

User Info Menu

This guitar and amplifier in action: