The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 44

User Info Menu

My brother got this bright white Stratocaster sometime around 1977. He never really liked it, but he thought it might be worth something some time. Fast forward to present. I had some stuff to trade so we made a deal and I got the 1974 Stratocaster and matching Silverface Deluxe Reverb with original tubes!

What is blowing my mind right now is that the body is just as bright white as when he got it in the 1970s. No yellowing or cracks or chips. In fact, there isn't any fretwear either!
    He does not smoke and the guitar probably never left his room all these years.

The tolex on the amp is pretty filthy, but, otherwise I'll bet it cleans up nice, looks like mostly dust.

Pictures will follow!!
    Last edited by icr; 01-16-2020 at 11:34 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

This is how it looked taking it out of the case. I'm just about to take it over to the shop and do a little tear-down and inspection and give it a setup and new strings. I'll also check the pot codes for date. The serial number puts it at 1974.
    1974 Fender Stratocaster & Silverface Deluxe-1-jpg

1974 Fender Stratocaster & Silverface Deluxe-2-jpg
    1974 Fender Stratocaster & Silverface Deluxe-3-jpg

User Info Menu

"Brass Era" saddles and nut! May just keep those and polish them as original 1970 saddles are not anything desirable. At least the saddles are 'period correct.'

User Info Menu

Too cool for school !!!

User Info Menu

Sweet! A white Strat and a SFDR! 'Tis consumation devoutly to be wished! Congratulations, and play them in good health!

PS May I suggest using simply warm soapy water on the vinyl of the amp. A friend of mine used Armor-All on my Bose 802s and managed to preserve the dust of ages in a tacky (literally) layer of goop. Perhaps he didn't follow the directions.

User Info Menu

Cool! Not too fond of white, but I definitely like the big Strat headstocks better!

User Info Menu

Very cool. Brings back HS memories, a guy I played with had one just like it.

User Info Menu

I need to hear how it sounds, so for now the brass saddles stay. I replaced some stripped height screws, other than that just cleaned and re-assembled with new strings.

1974 Fender Stratocaster & Silverface Deluxe-img_0302-jpg
    1974 Fender Stratocaster & Silverface Deluxe-img_0320-jpg
    1974 Fender Stratocaster & Silverface Deluxe-img_0329-jpg

User Info Menu

Looks like it has two original pickups and an aftermarket bridge pickup. I can't tell the brand.

1974 Fender Stratocaster & Silverface Deluxe-img_0313-jpg
    1974 Fender Stratocaster & Silverface Deluxe-img_0314-jpg
    1974 Fender Stratocaster & Silverface Deluxe-img_0318-jpg

User Info Menu

Even before the fret polish. Looks like almost no wear.
    1974 Fender Stratocaster & Silverface Deluxe-img_0303-jpg
    1974 Fender Stratocaster & Silverface Deluxe-img_0304-jpg
    1974 Fender Stratocaster & Silverface Deluxe-img_0305-jpg
    Last edited by icr; 01-19-2020 at 04:25 PM.

User Info Menu

Can't tell much from the neck. Looks typical 70s.
    Probably reads: 09 03 51?? So, Stratocaster, Maple, 51st week and year & day of week not legible. Neck back plate starts with 55, putting it at 1974.
    1974 Fender Stratocaster & Silverface Deluxe-img_0322-jpg
    1974 Fender Stratocaster & Silverface Deluxe-img_0323-jpg
    Last edited by icr; 01-17-2020 at 10:35 AM.

User Info Menu

Frets polished, re-strung, intonated, set action. Ready to play....

1974 Fender Stratocaster & Silverface Deluxe-img_0330-jpg
    1974 Fender Stratocaster & Silverface Deluxe-img_0328-jpg

User Info Menu

Started looking at the Silverface Deluxe Reverb. Seems to be the blackface circuit AB763 and dating puts it at 1969.

User Info Menu

if it's a '69 it's not the blackface circuit, don't go by the paper tube chart, they used them for awhile after switching circuits

User Info Menu

Wow! It looks dead mint! Beautiful! Congrats!

User Info Menu

Here are some amp pictures of the amp as I got it.
    1974 Fender Stratocaster & Silverface Deluxe-img_0332-jpg
    1974 Fender Stratocaster & Silverface Deluxe-img_0335-jpg

1974 Fender Stratocaster & Silverface Deluxe-img_0337-jpg
    1974 Fender Stratocaster & Silverface Deluxe-img_0336-jpg

User Info Menu

A couple indicators of what may or may not be inside. The tubes are all RCA, so may be original. The rectifier is RCA GZ34 per blackface specs.
    The tube chart also hints at blackface circuit(AB763).
    1974 Fender Stratocaster & Silverface Deluxe-img_0351-jpg
    Last edited by icr; 01-18-2020 at 08:44 AM.

User Info Menu

Inside the amp it winds up being somewhat of a hybrid. It has the 1Meg resistors on the phase inverter like the blackface amps, but the later 50uF capacitor on the bias circuit like the later silverface AB868.
    So, essentially one insignificant component of AB868 and mostly AB763.

1974 Fender Stratocaster & Silverface Deluxe-screen-shot-2020-01-17-9-17-16-pm-jpg1974 Fender Stratocaster & Silverface Deluxe-ab763-jpg

User Info Menu

Clarification picture of the so called 'blackface' phase inverter resistors for those that don't usually work on these amps. Obviously these things could have been changed but the solder looks pretty original to me.
    1974 Fender Stratocaster & Silverface Deluxe-ab763-annotation-jpg

Most definitely a '69. Date code on the bias supply cap confirms it. The wire used to harness it also was only used in 69. The aluminum trim around the grill was only used in '68 & '69. The input jacks are most likely now Switchcraft, but a cheaper import brand. This appears to be an early '69 though so they may be real Switchcraft. I use a 100uF/100V cap there - the value is not critical to amp performance. I wouldn't go larger than 100uF though. The time required to charge a larger cap could possibly cause the power tubes to draw excessive current on power up. If you use the Standby switch, and you always should with a Fender amp, then wait 1 minute or more before flipping the Standby switch up. This not only insures the tubes are warm and the bias supply is charged, it prevents over-voltage of the filter cap just past the choke. This amp looks pretty untouched. That is both good and bad news. The filter caps and those white Mallory cathode caps should be replaced, soon if not immediately - if you want the amp to be reliable and sound its best.

Quote Originally Posted by icr
    Inside the amp it winds up being somewhat of a hybrid. It has the 1Meg resistors on the phase inverter like the blackface amps, but the later 50uF capacitor on the bias circuit like the later silverface AB868.
    So, essentially one insignificant component of AB868 and mostly AB763.

1974 Fender Stratocaster & Silverface Deluxe-screen-shot-2020-01-17-9-17-16-pm-jpg1974 Fender Stratocaster & Silverface Deluxe-ab763-jpg

User Info Menu

Wow, whatta score! Congratulations!

User Info Menu

I'm leaving the Deluxe all original. The trade was to get working equipment into my brother's hands and the old stuff to me for preservation and/or repair. I got the 1969 Deluxe and 1974 Strat and he got a late model Fender American Standard guitar and a baby-bassman I made for him from all new parts. It is a Tweed Deluxe 5e3 in a custom made 4x10 cabinet.
    1974 Fender Stratocaster & Silverface Deluxe-5e3-jpg
    Last edited by icr; 01-19-2020 at 11:14 AM.

User Info Menu

Although I'll not change much, if anything on the Deluxe Reverb, the guitar is pretty non-original from the start.

The Stratocaster is a refinish and all the plastic has probably been replaced. For sure the pickguard is a replacement and by the looks of the pickup covers (no marks from playing) those look to be replaced too. The back plate, with its single wide opening, is also not original. And, as mentioned before, the nut and saddles and neck pickup are replacements.

1974 Fender Stratocaster & Silverface Deluxe-img_0310-jpg

User Info Menu

So, in keeping with the 1969 theme, plans are to turn the guitar into something like this Fender Custom Shop 1969 guitar they used to make.

1974 Fender Stratocaster & Silverface Deluxe-screen-shot-2020-01-19-10-18-29-am-jpg

User Info Menu

What a bout that brass nut??? It turns out the strings really slide nicely through it! The only other guitar I own that allows deep tremolo work without going out of tune is my PRS with its special slippery black plastic nut.

I notice the Yngwie Malsteem Stratocaster also has a brass nut. I doubt it is because he plays a lot of chords with open strings as suggested on the Fender website. Perhaps it is this same slippery effect on the strings allowing deep tremolo work without going out of tune. Poorman's rollernut.

1974 Fender Stratocaster & Silverface Deluxe-screen-shot-2020-01-19-3-17-53-pm-jpg
    1974 Fender Stratocaster & Silverface Deluxe-screen-shot-2020-01-19-3-18-11-pm-png