The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 67

User Info Menu

Between this pedal and the Barnyard which one gets dirtier/more overdriven?

Thanks!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Ordered one. Should arrive next week!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jasonc
    Hey everybody I just wanted to let everyone know what’s going on with the pedal project. At the first of the year the company that we were going to use for our enclosures went out of business so we went on the hunt for a new supplier. When COVID happened the project just kind of got mothballed for awhile. However, I’m happy to report that we have gotten everything together and they are ready. I’ve been making imitation Catalin knobs for my guitars and will offer them on these pedals if anybody should want them. The black knobs I make will be standard and no extra charge but the Catalin style ones require more time and I can only do a few at a time so they’ll cost a little extra. The pedals will be $215 plus tax and shipping and an extra $15 if you want my imitation Catalin knobs. Message me for ordering info. But you all want pics....

Those look and sound great! Do you ship to Canada?

User Info Menu

He sure does! I live in Montreal and can’t wait to try mine!

User Info Menu

Great sounding pedal. Not sure how I missed this thread earlier.

Curious how it would sound running into the effects loop of a Hot Rod Deluxe, which would by pass the HRD tone stack and use the JJ-150 as the preamp section.... hmmm?

User Info Menu

That's a great sounding pedal!

User Info Menu

Hey Jason:

I sent you a private message with my e mail so you could send me the info to order one. I'd love it if I could purchase one from you and/or your friend.

Thanks.....

Mark

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wmc1809
    Hey Jason:

I sent you a private message with my e mail so you could send me the info to order one. I'd love it if I could purchase one from you and/or your friend.

Thanks.....

Mark

JasonC

I would love to buy one of these pedals. Please tell me how i can purchase one

thanks,
    ken
    leftybandman@gmail.com

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ShakyFingers
    JasonC

I would love to buy one of these pedals. Please tell me how i can purchase one

thanks,
    ken
    leftybandman@gmail.com
    See post #21.

User Info Menu

Anyone try this pedal yet? Thoughts? Demos?

User Info Menu

I live in the uk and own an es150. I have never seen an EH185 for sale in the uk EH150s are also very rare. Your pedal sounds fabulous and is just the sound I am looking for. Can you send me details where I can buy one with the special knobs

User Info Menu

As has been said way too many times up thread:

PRIVATE MESSAGE user "jasonc"

Here, this is his user profile, just click on private message:
    https://www.jazzguitar.be/forum/members/30846.html

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jb150cc
    I live in the uk and own an es150. I have never seen an EH185 for sale in the uk EH150s are also very rare. Your pedal sounds fabulous and is just the sound I am looking for. Can you send me details where I can buy one with the special knobs
    See post #21 as well as post #38

User Info Menu

Looks amazing! Would be in the market if I hadn’t recently bought a Junior Barnyard

User Info Menu

Sounds awesome, does anyone know how I can find posts #21 and #38 or how I can read to the bottom of the OP? email me at ...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    Looks amazing! Would be in the market if I hadn’t recently bought a Junior Barnyard
    Yeah that's me as well.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pompeii0
    Between this pedal and the Barnyard which one gets dirtier/more overdriven?

Thanks!
    We're going to find out... I just got a Junior Barnyard yesterday, and I'm now talking with JasonC to order a LL-150.

Like the character in Dirty Harry said... "hey ... I gots to know!!"

User Info Menu

Curious if there are any reviews of this pedal yet.

User Info Menu

I have both the JJ-150 and the Nocturne Junior Barnyard now. I've been out of town/busy, and haven't had a chance to really give them the run through.
    Last edited by ruger9; 03-19-2021 at 05:05 PM.

User Info Menu

OK so. The JJ-150 and Junior Barnyard are actually quite similar. They function a little differently, but they are very similar.

The biggest difference is the JJ-150 has a master volume/level control. Junior Barnyard does not which makes it more of a boost pedal, not an overdrive. Depending on the amp you are using, when you turn on the JB it could get quite a bit louder... with the JB you'll have to turn the amp down to compensate (if wanted), on the JJ-150 you can just turn down the level control.

Other than that, both pedals have a bright switch. The JB's is literally an on-off switch. It's a preset level of brightness. On the JJ-150 it's the tone control: you pull the pot out to get it brighter (honestly, I thought the pedal was dud with the tone control pushed in, they forgot to tell me you can pull it out for brighter tones!). I'm very glad this feature was added, as it would have been unusable for me otherwise. You pull it out and it activates the bright switch, but also the tone control controls the amount of brightness. It's sort of like having 2 tone controls in one, pushed in for dark tones and pulled out for brighter tones.

They both have a gain boost function- the JJ-150 calls it the mic input of the EH-150, but it amounts to a gain boost. The difference is on the JJ-150 the boost is a pre-set amount, on the JB the boost amount is controllable with a gain knob. And also the JB has a bass-rolloff switch which can come in handy when using the boost, so the low end doesn't get overbearing (the JJ-150 doesn't have this feature, but it doesn't seem to be a problem, perhaps they incorporated it into the design.)

So, in summary:

Both are very good pedals, filling a very unique niche. Both will get you that Charlie Christian/Junior Barnard/Oscar Moore old school tone, and both could do it with more drive if wanted. It's really "six of one, half-dozen of the other" situation. The JB had a little more clarity, the JJ was a little more versatile with it's level control. Hard pressed to know which one to keep, it would come down to which one worked better with a particular guitar and amp combination.

If anyone has any specific questions about them, fire away! (why the forum software rotated the pic, IDK, LOL)

New pedal option for vintage octal sounds-img_1503-jpg

User Info Menu

Fantastic review. Thanks

User Info Menu

I play in a Western swing band using a Loar hollow body guitar with a Lollar Charlie Christian pickup and a generic overdrive pedal set to low gain. When I hit the volume pedal it increases the gain to put a little more hair on the notes for solos, and backs off when I bring the volume back down for comping. Do you have any thoughts on which pedal might work better in that application? (And yes, I’m aware this is a kind of a weird question.)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ruger9

Other than that, both pedals have a bright switch. The JB's is literally an on-off switch. It's a preset level of brightness. On the JJ-150 it's the tone control: you pull the pot out to get it brighter (honestly, I thought the pedal was dud with the tone control pushed in, they forgot to tell me you can pull it out for brighter tones!).
    The tone control pot on my JJ150 does not pull out (or push in).

User Info Menu

The push pull on the tone control is a newer feature. However, those of you who have an earlier version can get in touch with me and we can either mod it for you if you send it to us or we can tell you how to perform the mod. The pulled out version basically starts where the dark setting ends. I’m actually having him make the bright setting the default since most folks seem to like it.