The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 17 of 17

User Info Menu

I associated the name Herco with thumbpicks, nothing else.
    But evidently they have a legendary flatpick that was favored by many British Invasion guitarists. As the old song says, "I Never Knew."

I've never played them and I'm not really searching for a new pick. Just wondering if anyone here plays (or played) these and what they thought about them.

Dunlop Herco Holy Grail Guitar Picks .75 mm 6 Pack | Guitar Center

HERCO FLEX 75 GUITAR PICK

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I'll give them a try. I have a pick thing..

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by skiboyny View Post
    I'll give them a try. I have a pick thing..
    So do I! But with these I was most surprised to hear they had been around for decades and were used by several of my boyhood guitar heroes. I wonder how I managed NOT to know that!

User Info Menu

i'm not your boyhood hero, but i've been using herco flatpicks for decades..haha

they were the first nylon pics that i recall...when the company was actually herco...

just looked thru my oldest tin of picks and found the first herco flatpick i ever had..

orange nylon flex 55...made in usa...

have a few older grays and some newer golds too..always liked them

then they disappeared and dunlop nylons came in...and then dunlop brought back the herco brand

cheers
    Last edited by neatomic; 01-18-2020 at 08:51 PM. Reason: clarity-

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic View Post
    i'm not your boyhood hero, but i've been using herco picks for decades..haha
    I only knew of the Herco thumbpick. Johnny Winter used them. (I've never understood how he could do all that he did with a thumbpick.)
    Hot Nashville picker / studio legend Brent Mason uses those too. Lots of country players use a thumbpick for hybrid picking rather than (or in addition to) Carter picking and Travis picking.

But the flatpick??? Maybe they just weren't available in the States way back then and that's why I never heard of them.

User Info Menu

im talking about flatpicks!! they were available in nyc in the 70's!..herco was a usa company

my orange herco 55 flatpick is over 40 years old!!

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic View Post
    im talking about flatpicks!! they were available in nyc in the 70's!..herco was a usa company

my orange herco 55 flatpick is over 40 years old!!

cheers
    Okay, okay, I believe you!

https://guitar.com/review/pick-of-th...o-nylon-picks/

User Info Menu

LOL!! I had one, in gold. Got it in '69, and kept it for decades. Never without it, it was infamous in my circle as "the magic pick", given to me by the bass player who was my first mentor - he taught me the bass part to "Louie Louie" and I kind of took it from there - and I finally lost track of it. I must have taken it to work or something terribly stupid like that. I used to love just holding it. The texture was fascinating - it performed a kind of "worry bead" function - something of a meditational aid. Quite handy for playing guitar, as well!

User Info Menu

I still have several of the gray and a couple of gold Hercos; I found them to be really good electric bass picks.

User Info Menu

So I got some of the Herco flex 75 to try out. I had a look through my pick collection and had some Nylon 1.01mm that looked quite a lot like the Herco flex. I must have used them in the past and had 4 or 5, I have to imagine they have been around for a while. I started using them while I was waiting for the flex 75 to come. I like them quite a bit there is a bit of warmth to the nylon while still having a bit of snap. They are slightly warmer than say a Fender medium with a similar feel. The Hercos came today and they are a personality of their own I must say. They are a warm sounding pick with a bell like tone on the notes. Almost like a harmonic on single notes. I like them quite a bit for cords but not sure about single note lines. It almost feels like a heavy pick with a thin tip if that makes any sense. I have to put a little more time into them but there is some input for you..

User Info Menu

PSA: The Herco Holy Grail 75s are 25% off for a pack of 6 at MF for a limited time. I bought a gross-24 packs x 6 each- of them.

Dunlop Herco Holy Grail Guitar Picks .75 mm 6 Pack | Musician's Friend

User Info Menu

How do they compare to the Dunlop Primetone picks?

User Info Menu

I ordered a half dozen of the 75s.
    Grippy.
    Interesting nylon---not too thick yet not too bendy either. Retains shape without feeling stiff. Not clacky.
    Nice tone.
    I can see why people like them.

User Info Menu

A few months ago I purchased a ten-pack of Herco Flex 75 along with the D'Addario Nyflex (1mm).
    After going back and forth for a while, I settled on the NyFlex. After a few months, I switched back to the Herco.
    The Herco seems better suited for single or two-note playing. I am currently playing a smooth jazz style and the Herco really shines.
    The Nyflex, for reasons I can't figure out, is a one-sided pick only. There is an embossed line in the picking zone on one side which will grab and hold the string until it releases unharmoniously. As a practical matter, you just can't pick up the pick and start playing, you have to make sure you have the right side.

I previously was playing a Fender Heavy, but it can't compare to the Flex 75. One alternative are the Thalia wooden picks. They have a nice, mellow sound perfect for smooth jazz. The only drawback is the pick needs to be prepped by creating a bevel using the enclosed abrasive pad. I staying with the Flex 75!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mumser101 View Post
    A few months ago I purchased a ten-pack of Herco Flex 75 along with the D'Addario Nyflex (1mm).
    After going back and forth for a while, I settled on the NyFlex. After a few months, I switched back to the Herco.
    The Herco seems better suited for single or two-note playing. I am currently playing a smooth jazz style and the Herco really shines.
    The Nyflex, for reasons I can't figure out, is a one-sided pick only. There is an embossed line in the picking zone on one side which will grab and hold the string until it releases unharmoniously. As a practical matter, you just can't pick up the pick and start playing, you have to make sure you have the right side.

I previously was playing a Fender Heavy, but it can't compare to the Flex 75. One alternative are the Thalia wooden picks. They have a nice, mellow sound perfect for smooth jazz. The only drawback is the pick needs to be prepped by creating a bevel using the enclosed abrasive pad. I staying with the Flex 75!

User Info Menu

Wow! Brought back memories. In 1969--just like Citizen74--I bought some gold Herco flatpicks...but I also bought some grey ones, too.

They lasted forever, until I gradually lost them all. That process took about 20 years.

User Info Menu

I used these Herco Grey Flex 75's in the 70's because I read somewhere that Jimmy Page used them and they were great because of the grip you never would drop the pick. Then they stopped making them and back to the lame picks lol and then I went a Ritchie Blackmore type pick not knowing that he used that type of pick, then they stopped making those. Herco was back and I tried all the gray type and the Holy Grail won maybe hahahaha even though it's not grey and in fact white. I notice it has a softness to it that is a major effect on the guitar without buying guitar pedals. Very good for Blues and Classic/Hard Rock. I believe that anyone's Jazz playing would improve with Herco picks they really have great sound to them.