The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 17 of 17

User Info Menu

For those who look for alternative to the ES-339, D'Angelico reveals some "mini DC" in Premier and Excel series :
    Premier Mini DC | Premier Series | D'Angelico Guitars

Excel Mini DC | Excel Series | D'Angelico Guitars

Any thoughts ?

I personally feel fine with my Gibson but would enjoy trying the excel one (I like ebony FB)

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I like it ok, would be a lot nicer with the "throwback" headstock. That big crazy carved thing is too much.

User Info Menu

(In an angry Scotsman's voice) "Look at the size of that headstock. It's like an orange on a toothpick."

User Info Menu

?? Why Scotsman?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    ?? Why Scotsman?
    Lol, sorry Rob, but did you ever see "So I Married an Axe Murderer?"

Myers based the character off his own father, I think, he would say his dad's accent was "English when he was happy and Scottish when he was angry."

User Info Menu

Okay, that IS funny

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

So if you live in any place in USA, close to Mikagi Guitar dealers. Give it a try, you won't be dissappointed.
    Really premium guitars. But hard to sell if you give up on it after some time, since it's a high end handmade guitar. People don't like second hand handmade instruments.
    But if you won't sell that guitar ever, it's a amazing instrument.
    To me it's the closest to ES 339 alternative, in same time being a high quality guitar.
    So if you live anywhere near Mikagi Guitar dealers, give it a shot.

Btw.

I'm not saying to visit those places just for a guitar. Or order guitar.
    But if some of you, by a chance, find yourself in any of this towns of dealers, with 2000$ in cash. xD
    Give guitar a try.

User Info Menu

It is easy to crap on the modern D’Angelico company, for oh so many reasons.

But...

And it is a big butt...

If you actually want to make actual music sounds on a guitar (rather then tell us about your multiple homes and other old man ass-hat jerk twaddle), they seem to actually be producing a remarkable set of very gig-worthy guitars.

This axe looks great. I really need to drive to NYC and try a few.

It is easy to check my “made in USA” prejudices at the door.

User Info Menu

Have a D'Angelico Excel SS. It's a good guitar. But I do wish they would change the headstock.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bezoeker
    ...(rather then tell us about your multiple homes and other old man ass-hat jerk twaddle)...
    Seriously, dude? Do you think being a young ass-hat is somehow better?

User Info Menu

Please don't turn this into a boomer vs snowflake thread.

User Info Menu

There seems to be a general opinion about the headstock !

I wonder why one has a 25" scale and the other 24 3/4 " ?

User Info Menu

PRS has 25".

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    Please don't turn this into a boomer vs snowflake thread.
    I am 61 and do not own a D’A guitar. And while I have played maybe a half dozen of the MIK stable, I have not played the new design in question here.

I just think they get dumped on often as an offense to tradition, yet seem to be remarkably good guitars and a more than decent value - for players of any age.

My thought was just that the dump-ers are often of my vintage.

I suspect many would find it pretty interesting to try this particular guitar out.

User Info Menu

I think the guitar is very good looking, even sharp. Personally, I like the big honkin' headstock, and would prefer a properly proportioned NY-er-style stairstep TP. YOMV.
    It's all OK.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Spook410
    Have a D'Angelico Excel SS. It's a good guitar. But I do wish they would change the headstock.
    My qualm with the SS is the big head likely contributes to it being neck heavy. I'll bet that the MIJ model with a more substantial center block balances better.