The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 46

User Info Menu

I picked up a guitar over the holidays and truth be told, I was in the market for a deal on a fine Gypsy guitar. I have owned my share of Dell Artes and Gitanes and those guitars do not measure up for me (apologies to those of you who own and love those brands, but we each must play the instruments that inspire our playing).

In 2008, I thought I had my Gypsy guitar needs met with my 1993 Dupont MD-20 (still have her) and a 2001 Shelley D. Park Elan14. But a deal came up on a great JP Favino Modele S and to finance it, I sold my Shelley Park D hole (one of the few guitar sales in my life that I came to regret). Then a few years ago, fellow forumite Max405 sold me his D'Angelico New Yorker replica (that used to belong to Patrick2 RIP). I sold the Favino to finance that and bought a Dupont MDC-50 as my backup Gypsy guitar. A year later, Max405 sold me his 1935 D'Angelico Excel and a whole lot of guitars got sold to finance that one, including the Dupont D hole. For the last few years I have only had one Gypsy guitar and that has been an issue for me at times (I have two homes and do Gypsy jazz gigs in both locations). So I started looking, primarily for either a Dupont or another Shelley Park.

Just before Christmas, I pulled the trigger on this new one. She arrived right before New Years Eve and I couldn't be happier. It is Shelley's take on the classic Selmer guitar as played by none other than Django Reinhardt himself. Shelley uses solid Indian Rosewood and this example has a bearclaw Sitka spruce top. The guitar is loud, easy to play (Shelley's neck profiles are so wonderful for those of us used to American guitar necks) and has a rich tone. I wrote Shelley to tell her about my new guitar and she wrote back telling me the details about the guitar from her records and informing me that she is thrilled to have me back on her "team". Well, I am thrilled to be back (Shelley and I have known each other for many years from the Gypsy jazz festival circuit).

I often extol the virtue of Dupont Gypsy guitars and I do believe Duponts get you to the classic sound of the Selmer guitars as close you will find. If you want something a bit more modern sounding, Shelley's Gypsy guitars are the ticket. With their "archtoppy" leanings in their tone, her guitars are more versatile to be sure (and easier to play). While I miss my Shelley Park D hole (note to self: Don't sell this one!), being a lead player the petit bouche is a better fit for me in any case. I now have my Gypsy guitar needs met and I think I'll stand pat for the duration. Here are a couple of pics:2000 Shelley D. Park Encore-shelley-park-encore-jpg2000 Shelley D. Park Encore-shelly-park-encore-back-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

SS,
    My man!
    I hope your repeated attempts at becoming done with buying always fail.
    We are all just little kids at heart who love getting new stuff. The difference is, you buy AND you give back to the music industry by purchasing these great instruments and then actually performing in front of 1,000’s of people with them. You want to give your audience the best possible product and you do so with your Great playing and you do it on legendary instruments. Some folks in your audience will appreciate that. I would.
    Keeping going brother. And Happy New Guitar Day!
    Joe D

User Info Menu

Looks great, SS. I can almost hear you play it!

User Info Menu

Sweet guitar Marc! It has the classic Park look of the early 2000s. It's hard to believe it's already nearly 20 years old. Looks to be in great shape! What number is it? Mine is #29 (1999); a lefty of course. I'm sure you've seen it since I use to take it regularly to DjangoFest NW and Samois. May you have sweet Gypsy Jazz moments with your new Shelleymaster!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Max405
    SS,
    My man!
    I hope your repeated attempts at becoming done with buying always fail.
    We are all just little kids at heart who love getting new stuff. The difference is, you buy AND you give back to the music industry by purchasing these great instruments and then actually performing in front of 1,000’s of people with them. You want to give your audience the best possible product and you do so with your Great playing and you do it on legendary instruments. Some folks in your audience will appreciate that. I would.
    Keeping going brother. And Happy New Guitar Day!
    Joe D
    Thanks JD. This is absolutely my last guitar purchase.....until the next one.

My guitars all get shared with the public and they all have a few "battle scars" to prove it. But while they are certainly art, they are also tools, which I am proud to use for their intended purpose.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    Looks great, SS. I can almost hear you play it!
    Thanks Rob. One of these days when I quit gigging so much (I am still out 4 nights a week), I will open a youtube account, get a video camera and record some of these great guitars. While you will then hear them somewhat (with all the compression that Internet videos bring), the best way to hear them is to come to California and sit in on one of my gigs with whichever of my guitars you want to demo. Consider that an offer!

User Info Menu

Looks great!

I actually think my next guitar purchase, probably a few years down the line, will be a "lifer" gypsy guitar. It's become my preffered style of acoustic guitar anyway, and honestly, there's so many more opportunities to play that type of music out there than there is straight up jazz, so I figure, why not have a really nice guitar for it?

In the meantime though, my $500 Cigano is doing fine. I like it better than a lot of $1500-2000 Asian made GJ guitars I've played...so when I buy another, I'm going up to the GOOD GOOD like you

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by archtopeddy
    Sweet guitar Marc! It has the classic Park look of the early 2000s. It's hard to believe it's already nearly 20 years old. Looks to be in great shape! What number is it? Mine is #29 (1999); a lefty of course. I'm sure you've seen it since I use to take it regularly to DjangoFest NW and Samois. May you have sweet Gypsy Jazz moments with your new Shelleymaster!
    Thanks Ed. I have heard your Park many times jamming with you and Ross at the Langley motel (His Park sounded great as did yours.....fond memories to be sure). This one is #53. The one I sold years ago is #79 (from 2001). I have a right of first refusal on that one, but seeing as the fellow who bought it is 20 years my junior and loves that guitar, I doubt I will ever get to exercise it.

Shelley builds great guitars. It is inspiring to play one again.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Looks great!

I actually think my next guitar purchase, probably a few years down the line, will be a "lifer" gypsy guitar. It's become my preffered style of acoustic guitar anyway, and honestly, there's so many more opportunities to play that type of music out there than there is straight up jazz, so I figure, why not have a really nice guitar for it.

In the meantime though, my $500 Cigano is doing fine. I like it better than a lot of $1500-2000 Asian made GJ guitars I've played...so when I buy another, I'm going up to the GOOD GOOD like you
    Jeff, when it comes to jazz, people either love it or hate it. When it comes to Gypsy jazz, people either love it or like it.

The Cigano's are amazing bang for the buck, but there are WAY better Gypsy guitars to be had. If all you will do is Gypsy jazz and you want to imitate Django, get a Dupont. If you want something with more crossover versatility, get a Shelley Park. Those two makers would be my suggestions. There are other great makers, Favino, AJL, Barault, Holo, Hahl all come to mind, but they cost more. A great Dupont or Park can be had in the $2500-$3000 price range used. There is no need to spend more......

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    The best way to hear them is to come to California and sit in on one of my gigs with whichever of my guitars you want to demo. Consider that an offer!
    I'd accept in an instant if I could! That's an attractive offer, my friend!

User Info Menu

Jeff, when it comes to jazz, people either love it or hate it. When it comes to Gypsy jazz, people either love it or like it.

The Cigano's are amazing bang for the buck, but there are WAY better Gypsy guitars to be had. If all you will do is Gypsy jazz and you want to imitate Django, get a Dupont. If you want something with more crossover versatility, get a Shelley Park. Those two makers would be my suggestions. There are other great makers, Favino, AJL, Barault, Holo, Hahl all come to mind, but they cost more. A great Dupont or Park can be had in the $2500-$3000 price range used. There is no need to spend more......
    Park is on my short list. A used Barault is too...a friend of mine has a long scale D, and it's remarkably versatile.

Yeah, obviously there's a lot better guitars out there than my Cigano, but IMHO, the Cigano is a much better guitar sound wise than any of the more expensive Gitanes I've played, for example.

I'm probably a "D-hole" guy overall. That sounds dirty. But they are more versatile. And I'm usually the guy who says "versatility is overrated." But for me, this is "the" acoustic. Gypsy guitars have kinda ruined flat tops for me...they sound so small in the trebles compared to a GJ guitar.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Park is on my short list. A used Barault is too...a friend of mine has a long scale D, and it's remarkably versatile.

Yeah, obviously there's a lot better guitars out there than my Cigano, but IMHO, the Cigano is a much better guitar sound wise than any of the more expensive Gitanes I've played, for example.

I'm probably a "D-hole" guy overall. That sounds dirty. But they are more versatile. And I'm usually the guy who says "versatility is overrated." But for me, this is "the" acoustic. Gypsy guitars have kinda ruined flat tops for me...they sound so small in the trebles compared to a GJ guitar.
    There is a lot of variation when it comes to Ciganos and Gitanes. While both are from the same factory, they are not consistent. I have played (and owned) fine examples and also not so fine examples. The Cigano has less finish and therefore often sounds better than its more expensive Gitane counterpart.

I have owned many Gypsy guitars and have found that you cannot make any generalizations when it comes to Grande bouche (D hole) vs. Petit bouche (oval hole). I have heard oval holes with more bass than some D holes and I have heard D holes with more "cut" than some oval holes. The scale length, sound hole, materials and skill of the builder all come together with a synergy that confounds the generalizations. In general, the short scale D hole will have more bass (making them somewhat similar to a flattop) and an oval hole will have more focus and projection (making them somewhat similar to an archtop). I like them both, but as I am primarily a lead player, the oval hole is probably the better choice for me. But you never know, another D hole (I have owned 6 of them in the past) might be in my future. I hope not though, I have too many guitars as it is! (A true first world problem)

User Info Menu

Congratulations on your NGD Marco, we should all love to hear it
    in due course, ( and thank you again for the two CD's which you
    generously sent to me, featuring Bruce Forman , & yourself )
    If it was feasible i'd love to join Rob on a trip to California to hear
    you, but it will remain a pipe dream unfortunately , I suspect.

Best 007

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by silverfoxx
    Congratulations on your NGD Marco, we should all love to hear it
    in due course, ( and thank you again for the two CD's which you
    generously sent to me, featuring Bruce Forman , & yourself )
    If it was feasible i'd love to join Rob on a trip to California to hear
    you, but it will remain a pipe dream unfortunately , I suspect.

Best 007
    Thanks 007.

The offer I made to Rob applies equally to you. You are welcome to sit in on any of my gigs (excluding those where I am a sideman of course), and you may play any of my guitars that you wish.

User Info Menu

I picked up a guitar over the holidays and truth be told, I was in the market for a deal on a fine Gypsy guitar. I have owned my share of Dell Artes and Gitanes and those guitars do not measure up for me (apologies to those of you who own and love those brands, but we each must play the instruments that inspire our playing).

In 2008, I thought I had my Gypsy guitar needs met with my 1993 Dupont MD-20 (still have her) and a 2001 Shelley D. Park Elan14. But a deal came up on a great JP Favino Modele S and to finance it, I sold my Shelley Park D hole (one of the few guitar sales in my life that I came to regret). Then a few years ago, fellow forumite Max405 sold me his D'Angelico New Yorker replica (that used to belong to Patrick2 RIP). I sold the Favino to finance that and bought a Dupont MDC-50 as my backup Gypsy guitar. A year later, Max405 sold me his 1935 D'Angelico Excel and a whole lot of guitars got sold to finance that one, including the Dupont D hole. For the last few years I have only had one Gypsy guitar and that has been an issue for me at times (I have two homes and do Gypsy jazz gigs in both locations). So I started looking, primarily for either a Dupont or another Shelley Park.

Just before Christmas, I pulled the trigger on this new one. She arrived right before New Years Eve and I couldn't be happier. It is Shelley's take on the classic Selmer guitar as played by none other than Django Reinhardt himself. Shelley uses solid Indian Rosewood and this example has a bearclaw Sitka spruce top. The guitar is loud, easy to play (Shelley's neck profiles are so wonderful for those of us used to American guitar necks) and has a rich tone. I wrote Shelley to tell her about my new guitar and she wrote back telling me the details about the guitar from her records and informing me that she is thrilled to have me back on her "team". Well, I am thrilled to be back (Shelley and I have known each other for many years from the Gypsy jazz festival circuit).

I often extol the virtue of Dupont Gypsy guitars and I do believe Duponts get you to the classic sound of the Selmer guitars as close you will find. If you want something a bit more modern sounding, Shelley's Gypsy guitars are the ticket. With their "archtoppy" leanings in their tone, her guitars are more versatile to be sure (and easier to play). While I miss my Shelley Park D hole (note to self: Don't sell this one!), being a lead player the petit bouche is a better fit for me in any case. I now have my Gypsy guitar needs met and I think I'll stand pat for the duration. Here are a couple of pics:2000 Shelley D. Park Encore-shelley-park-encore-jpg2000 Shelley D. Park Encore-shelly-park-encore-back-jpg
    Happy NGD. Very nice looking guitar. Please do post some samples of you playing it. I just got my first GJ guitar, a Gitane D-hole. Maybe I will develop enough discernment for it to fall short of my needs some day, but I sincerely hope not. I have enough expensive rabbit holes in my life already. Meanwhile, enjoying the new lease on acoustic life this has brought.

John

User Info Menu

Looks dead minty. I didn't see you at the last Guitars Anonymous meeting. Now I know why. Not too many can make it through the entire 12 fret program. Back to the 1st fret. Hi I am Marco and I am a guitaroholic. Hello Marco.....

User Info Menu

Marco- nice back story and do enjoy this guitar. I remember when I started my search for a gypsy style guitar John Monteleone put me in contact with Shelley. Even though I wound up with an early Dupont instead ( based on your suggestion) - I really enjoyed my conversations with Shelley and the many audio clips she provided.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    Looks dead minty. I didn't see you at the last Guitars Anonymous meeting. Now I know why. Not too many can make it through the entire 12 fret program. Back to the 1st fret. Hi I am Marco and I am a guitaroholic. Hello Marco.....
    Yep, I am off the wagon once again. Like I say, the problem with being true to one guitar is you have to be untrue to all the rest. Same with women. I have been good about keeping things in check in the woman department (only one gal for the last 23 years), but guitars? Arguably, I have a problem. Oops, gotta go and enjoy my problem.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by QAman
    Marco- nice back story and do enjoy this guitar. I remember when I started my search for a gypsy style guitar John Monteleone put me in contact with Shelley. Even though I wound up with an early Dupont instead ( based on your suggestion) - I really enjoyed my conversations with Shelley and the many audio clips she provided.
    Well Steve, you had your dance with an amazingly good DuPont, perhaps you might want to give one of Shelley's creations a whirl?

User Info Menu

Congrats Swing!!! Looks awesome. I still regret not buying your Dupont Dhole when you had it up for sale. Really need to find just the right Dupont. Hopefully someday!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by callouscallus
    Congrats Swing!!! Looks awesome. I still regret not buying your Dupont Dhole when you had it up for sale. Really need to find just the right Dupont. Hopefully someday!
    hold out for am early 90's Dupont. They are pretty special......

User Info Menu

hold out for am early 90's Dupont. They are pretty special......
    Congrats on the new addition to your already incredible stable, SS. I had the pleasure of playing one of Shelly Park's D hole 12 fret models at Westwood Music a few years ago. Outstanding, and as you mention a little more "archtopy" than many GJG's. I'm sure you will make it sing beautifully.

I think it's grand that you are friends with the builder and have performed with her. I am in regular contact with Bob Benedetto and he agrees that his instruments live a happy life when they are out there doing what they were built for- making music.A few battle scars only add to the soul of the guitar and tell a story.

I am very, very happy with my 1998 Dupont MC 30 14 fret. It is not pristine-I'm the second owner, the first owner was Raul Reynoso. She's seen some campfires in her life!

Enjoy and play in good health!
    Attached Images Attached Images 2000 Shelley D. Park Encore-mc30-3-jpg 

User Info Menu

I often extol the virtue of Dupont Gypsy guitars and I do believe Duponts get you to the classic sound of the Selmer guitars as close you will find. If you want something a bit more modern sounding, Shelley's Gypsy guitars are the ticket. With their "archtoppy" leanings in their tone, her guitars are more versatile to be sure (and easier to play). While I miss my Shelley Park D hole (note to self: Don't sell this one!), being a lead player the petit bouche is a better fit for me in any case. I now have my Gypsy guitar needs met and I think I'll stand pat for the duration. Here are a couple of pics:
    I have a Dupont MD-50 and I like it a lot. I have only played one of Shelly’s guitars once and I remember it being very impressive. That was before I acquired my Dupont so I can’t really compare the two. Your description makes me want to revisit the Park. I do find myself wanting a little more of an archtop sound and feel when I play the Dupont. On the other hand, it has a bark and volume that is quite impressive. Maybe I need to have both too! I attached a pic of me playing my Dupont on a recent gig, plugged in with a Bigtone.
    Keith
    2000 Shelley D. Park Encore-bfde4b44-1dae-4d4b-903b-1360c86c0d77-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SierraTango
    Congrats on the new addition to your already incredible stable, SS. I had the pleasure of playing one of Shelly Park's D hole 12 fret models at Westwood Music a few years ago. Outstanding, and as you mention a little more "archtopy" than many GJG's. I'm sure you will make it sing beautifully.

I think it's grand that you are friends with the builder and have performed with her. I am in regular contact with Bob Benedetto and he agrees that his instruments live a happy life when they are out there doing what they were built for- making music.A few battle scars only add to the soul of the guitar and tell a story.

I am very, very happy with my 1998 Dupont MC 30 14 fret. It is not pristine-I'm the second owner, the first owner was Raul Reynoso. She's seen some campfires in her life!

Enjoy and play in good health!
    ST, I have never performed with Shelley. At the festivals that we have run into each other, I was performing and she was there selling guitars. She used to be a festival performer, but gave that up to build guitars. I guess building jazz guitars is a bit more lucrative than playing them, but I doubt by very much.

I met Raul once, when he was playing with John Jorgenson (who at one time had a signature Dupont model). At the time I met Raul, he was playing a Dell Arte. I bet your Dupont is superb, as I doubt a player with Raul's skill would pick anything less.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by floatingpickup
    I have a Dupont MD-50 and I like it a lot. I have only played one of Shelly’s guitars once and I remember it being very impressive. That was before I acquired my Dupont so I can’t really compare the two. Your description makes me want to revisit the Park. I do find myself wanting a little more of an archtop sound and feel when I play the Dupont. On the other hand, it has a bark and volume that is quite impressive. Maybe I need to have both too! I attached a pic of me playing my Dupont on a recent gig, plugged in with a Bigtone.
    Keith
    2000 Shelley D. Park Encore-bfde4b44-1dae-4d4b-903b-1360c86c0d77-jpg
    Keith, having both a Dupont and a Shelley Park is just the ticket. They are different enough to justify having both. I had the duo back in 2008 and foolishly chased other combinations. Now that I have both again, all is right in my Gypsy jazz guitar world.