The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 67

User Info Menu

Hello! Greetings from Indonesia! I'm basically new here in my appearance, but I've been reading many posts about jazz guitar here for a long time, a silent reader. I know some guitar master and archtop master from here and i learned so much about archtop here. because of that, i became brave enough to do several things to my guitar like refret my guitar(i read JohnD's thread about his Gibson JS got refretted), changed my pickup to kent armstrong handmade that i knew from this forum, learn the archtop history, D'Angelico history, and much more! this forum is great! I rarely post something here because I'm not confident enough with my English.. so... I'm sorry for my poor english. I'm trying my best to make you understand whay I say. This is my first thread.. so be gentle with me! hahaha

okay, enough for the introduction..

I would say I'm a fan with Korean-made D'Angelico guitars copy because IMO they always improve the quality of their products, keep learning, and find a way to make a good guitars with a great price range without forgetting the roots of their products (some may disagree with me).

They launch a new product in Excel and Deluxe series. In excel, the new product called "Throwback" series for EXL-1 and Style-B.
    here's the link for the specs and photos:
    Excel EXL-1 Throwback | Excel Series | D'Angelico Guitars - EXL 1
    Excel Style B Throwback | Excel Series | D'Angelico Guitars - Style B

here's the demo

This make me really hypeddd, I mean, they now use ebony fingerboard, ebony bridge (I don't know how they could use ebony again ?), bigger inlays (i like inlays), headstock veneer, a NEW DESIGN HEADSTOCK like John used in his older guitar, S-holes with two-layer binding, a wooden pickguard (macassar ebony), and better finish! they make a new finish called 'Viola'.

This make me kinda regret why I bought my EXL-1 so soon. I would buy these new products if I don't have my current EXL-1. Why they didn't do this several years ago?? this make me angry but happy at the same time knowing finally they make new features like I've been really looking for but i can't buy them because I'm a poor college guy at the moment ahaha. So instead of buying new guitar, i decided to make my own modification to my exl 1 for the past several years, i changed the pickup to kent armstrong floater 12-pole PAF, new pots, new jescar frets, re-radiused the fingerboard to 12'', changed the pickguard to the wooden one, buy ebony bridge, and then now they released these new products with new features! Nevertheless, I'm still proud with my EXL.

what's your opinion about this 'throwback' series??

Thank you!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Well they're not at all historically accurate, but I much prefer that look over the previous ones, especially the headstock.

User Info Menu

D'Aquisto F holes on a D'Angelico ? A insult to both.
    Last edited by vinnyv1k; 01-13-2020 at 09:56 PM.

User Info Menu

I dig the Style B non-cutaway model. Nice features, tone and vibe. Mark Whitfield sounded great.

It may be the recording process or EQ settings, but the EXL-1 played by Rodney Jones was very bright sounding.

User Info Menu

These are all cosmetic differences except the Seymour Duncan pickup in place of the Kent Armstrong "Jazzy Joe" pickup that is on almost all the D'Angelico and Eastman guitars. The Style B is a nice guitar with a thinner top and more resonance than their other guitars but I prefer their original version, also the sunburst finish. The F-holes aren't right for a guitar trying to represent the 1930's. The price difference of $1999 vs $1559 is not justified. You could get a standard Style B and add a better pickup and come out paying less.

User Info Menu

They sure have some heavy names promoting them! Rodney Jones & Whitfield! I think the Excel is great for the money. A bit confused with all the versions, countries of origin, specs, you kind of see the same guitar going from 600 (on numerous sales) to 1700 euros..
    Wouldn't pay 2000 for it though..

User Info Menu

Better off finding an original Vestex New Yorker at around same price. Better guitar and yes the f holes don’t cut it.

i cannot say I dislike the guitars I do like the older style headstock.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by zephyrregent
    These are all cosmetic differences except the Seymour Duncan pickup in place of the Kent Armstrong "Jazzy Joe" pickup that is on almost all the D'Angelico and Eastman guitars. The Style B is a nice guitar with a thinner top and more resonance than their other guitars but I prefer their original version, also the sunburst finish. The F-holes aren't right for a guitar trying to represent the 1930's. The price difference of $1999 vs $1559 is not justified. You could get a standard Style B and add a better pickup and come out paying less.
    Agreed, the pricing is a little weird. It looks like they discontinued the Deluxe EXL-1, and I guess this is the replacement. I like the headstock and the overall look better than the standard, but maybe not $500 better (we'll see if this holds with the street prices)

I actually just tried one in a store, and weird matte green finish notwithstanding, it played and sounded great, as in "wow, this thing is really cool" great. I've tried a couple of the standard ones in past and was not all that knocked out, but this one was way better. The acoustic volume was quite loud (borderline legit acoustic guitar), and the Duncan pickup was really good. Tempted (especially at a blow-out price), but don't like 17" guitars.

User Info Menu

First and foremost.. we have a company updating the archtop designs in their product line. That is a good thing. Excel EXL-1's are pretty good guitars.

Product line names are a little confusing. However, as far as I can tell, if one of their archtop models has gold hardware, it is one of the nicer models.

And each time there is a design update we see the older the models on Musicians Friend Stupid Deal Of The Day. Now I have to start watching and thinking if I have an application for the current model..
    Last edited by Spook410; 01-13-2020 at 05:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    Well they're not at all historically accurate, but I much prefer that look over the previous ones, especially the headstock.
    Yup i agree they're not historically accurate, they kinda mix the features from different years up to one guitar. And I agree, i like the headstock design more because it's more elegant + wood veneer

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    D'Aquisto F holes on a D'Angelico ? A insult to both.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alter
    They sure have some heavy names promoting them! Rodney Jones & Whitfield! I think the Excel is great for the money. A bit confused with all the versions, countries of origin, specs, you kind of see the same guitar going from 600 (on numerous sales) to 1700 euros..
    Wouldn't pay 2000 for it though..
    Quote Originally Posted by deacon Mark
    Better off finding an original Vestex New Yorker at around same price. Better guitar and yes the f holes don’t cut it.

i cannot say I dislike the guitars I do like the older style headstock.
    yes i think the guitars are not fully designed for "throwback" sake, they do consider about the looks and cosmetic, like the F-holes new design, wood veneer on the headstock, I think John didn't even do those things back then (CMIIW). But the EXL-1 DP (early 2000 D'angelico korean made) has wood veneer on their headstock. I'm not really sure about the big inlays, though. AFAIK, the big inlays were only applied to style A/B or the older one. The big inlays never applied to Excel series . But I do like what they do to this throwback series. It may doesn't work to people who really knows about the history about the legendary John D'Angelico. And yes, the price different is too much for me, sound-wise, you could just change the pickup to get the sound you want , electrically. For the acoustic sound, it may make some differences due to ebony fingerboard and new F-holes design.
    For the price, I think I agree it's better to buy the Vestax version. But the pickup is better on the korean one. AFAIK, the Vestax uses the asian KA-design pickup for their guitars.

Quote Originally Posted by Spook410
    First and foremost.. we have a company updating the archtop designs in their product line. That is a good thing. Excel EXL-1's are pretty good guitars.

Product line names are a little confusing. However, as far as I can tell, if one of their archtop models has gold hardware, it is one of the nicer models.

And each time there is a design update we see the older the models on Musicians Friend Stupid Deal Of The Day. Now I have to start watching and thinking if I have an application for the current model..
    Yup, I appreciate what they do to this throwback series.
    and to answer your question.. their products are divided to 3 main categories : Premier, Excel, Deluxe (left to right from the cheaper one). Like what you said, the Excel and Deluxe are the better series, and they have gold hardware. I personally like the Excel series the most. I don't really like the finish on the Deluxe model (it's mostly solid matte finish for the archtop so you can't see the wood grain).

User Info Menu

I guess the most important thing is how they play and sound, but I just never could wrap my head around any guitar with that name in the headstock that wasn't made by the man himself.
    Apparently there's some good sounding examples, SS has one he digs. But I guess I'm old school, when I saw that name on an orig example it was like beholding the Stradivarius of guitars.
    Now it seems so watered down, it makes me sad whenever I see these copies. Granted, I know there are some quality guitars, but not the point.
    I have more respect for luthiers w a sense of originality, don't be a flat out copycat.
    Sorry, getting too old and cranky I guess, btw, get off my lawn!
    Back to your regularly scheduled throwback thread.

User Info Menu

I for one, like the looks of these “Throwback” guitars. They look mighty sharp. I had an EXL-1 a couple of years ago. It was a nice guitar in that price range. I now have a Benedetto Bravo Deluxe after first selling the D’Angelico to get one of the CME ES-175s. That was nice too, but wasn’t for me either.

I would check out one of these new ones when they come available. I won’t ditch the Benedetto, but I might add to the herd. Is it period correct? No, but it’s nice looking. I don’t think anyone will confuse any of the newer D’Angelicos with the originals made by Mr. D himself. We should be happy that any manufacturer has interest in keeping this genre alive at this price point. We’ll see how it sounds.

User Info Menu

So they if they want a real throwback I can send them the dimensions. I like the fingerboard pattern at end. The older style headstock. Carving it could be the breaking point.

D'Angelico New Throwback Series-ebf8c610-19ab-4631-b2af-eb1dcecc98dd-jpgD'Angelico New Throwback Series-dec2ef32-6a15-41c7-8ef4-20bcebedb03f-jpgD'Angelico New Throwback Series-8cee30cc-fb64-4736-afab-3df5a109459b-jpg

User Info Menu

Beautiful!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Zigracer
    I for one, like the looks of these “Throwback” guitars.
    I second that !
    the headstock is nice , the other one is too grand for me ....

So beautiful Mark! I think I will never get a chance to have (or even touch!) the real D'A. One disadvantage living in my country, people who obsessed with archtop are few here. I have to deal with the price too.
    I'm really impressed by how many binding John D'A did to the headstock. I'm glad the company add 4 more binding (from 3 ply) to the headstock because this headstock design really suit with many layers of binding.

User Info Menu

I have mixed feelings about the revival of D'Angelico guitars. While I probably would have preferred that the brand only live on as a string brand (which is where the brand was at till the early 90's), I get the desire for guitars with John D'Angelico's esthetics. I have one of the 90's replicas and while not quite the real thing (I own three genuine DA's and can tell the difference) it is nevertheless a fine guitar, built with reverence for the works of the master. Once the Ferolito family bought the brand, the inexpesive Asian imports started. I owned a couple of these (Korean built) and thought they were good guitars, but not great or even "very good". But in fact, John D'Angelico sold guitars with cheap bodies and his own necks that bore his brand that were not great guitars back in the day. So arguably what has happened in recent years is not without precedent.

My 1935 Excel (Thanks again JD!) has F holes similar to the new series, so perhaps the design cue is more vintage D'Angelico that a mixing of D'Aquisto's design. The sad part for me is that Jimmy D'Aquisto was swindled out of the D'Angelico brand, but the Ferolitos are certainly not responsible for that, so I wish them continued good fortune with their endeavors and hope that all who buy D'Angelico guitars, whether the high end replicas, the real thing or the Asian imports enjoy their guitars.

Here is a pic of my 35 Excel:D'Angelico New Throwback Series-da1-jpg

User Info Menu

Stringswinger, that Excel is just exactly what an archtop should look like. Dang.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Spook410

Come on, we should all be happy that someone still manufactures archtop guitars for the mass public. The d'angelico (ferolito) are good, they can be used live and are excellent worhorse guitars. Let's put aside the purism of names, in any case Orville Gibson died a long time ago. My two cents

User Info Menu

An insult to the original for sure! Basically an imported Peerless guitar made up to look like the real deal. Other than cashing in on the name and legend of the man who tirelessly built mostly great guitars for the discerning player.
    Laminated press tops,sides and backs do not,replace solid carved wood.

Even newer laminates that are more carefully made by excellent luthiers,cost much more money to make and assemble. You get what you pay for and there arent any cheap great Archtops.
    You'd be way better off with an Eastman 810CE!

User Info Menu

It's the modern situation. What are the choices?

Of the choices for archtop guitars with a history of being made in the USA , Gibson is the only guitar with some continuous history but is priced way higher than any of the other choices except custom luthiers.

Epiphone - made in China, or Korea. Now Epiphone is a sub $1000 import guitar not meant to be equivalent to Gibson. I have played a 1951 Epiphone Zephyr Regent since 1970 and due to a chronic health condition, low wage jobs and no health insurance due to "pre-existing conditions" never could afford a better guitar. I have an L5 now and a Korean D'Angelico Style B so am doing alright. I see why L5s are so prized but never could have afforded it, it was a gift.

Guild - made in Korea.

Gretsch - made in Japan or Korea. Although not many jazz guitarists used them, they were one of the choices.

Eastmans are good but are more like Benedettos than classic Gibson, Epiphone or Guild archtops.

Ibanez and other manufacturers make good quality guitars. I had one, it was a nice guitar, but not like an American archtop from the past.

So, what to do if you don't have the money for a new or vintage Gibson or a custom made guitar? Or a D'Angelico? I've never seen or played one. Granted that D'Angelico was an individual luthier and not a company, it is a famous name American made archtop and was bound to be copied by someone. Those luthier made replicas and Vestax imports are better than the Korean models. Someone also put out low priced import Strombergs for awhile.

Everyone makes their own choice. Buy an Asian replica American archtop or an Ibanez or Eastman or find a good deal on a vintage archtop. Some of us don't have access to stores with vintage archtop selections or any way to try them first so a new guitar can be a safer choice. I've had an Ibanez, an Eastman and one of the last Westerley made Guilds since 2000. The Eastman was too bright and the Guild was dead as a doorknob and built like a tank with no resonance at all.

I think part of the attraction of archtops is in the looks, we all admire them. If you have a choice of a copy of an Epiphone, Guild, Gretsch, Benedetto or D'Angelico versus an Ibanez or other import without the classic looks of the past, the style might be an influential factor, though there is no relation to the original guitars besides cosmetic appearances.

User Info Menu

I bought an Elferink Tonemaster archtop $4k a couple years back. Used you can find them in the mid$2k range. There are alternatives not super cheap but affordable considering most Les Paul's are now$3k and above!

User Info Menu

It's the modern situation. What are the choices?

Of the choices for archtop guitars with a history of being made in the USA , Gibson is the only guitar with some continuous history but is priced way higher than any of the other choices except custom luthiers.

Epiphone - made in China, or Korea. Now Epiphone is a sub $1000 import guitar not meant to be equivalent to Gibson. I have played a 1951 Epiphone Zephyr Regent since 1970 and due to a chronic health condition, low wage jobs and no health insurance due to "pre-existing conditions" never could afford a better guitar. I have an L5 now and a Korean D'Angelico Style B so am doing alright. I see why L5s are so prized but never could have afforded it, it was a gift.

Guild - made in Korea.

Gretsch - made in Japan or Korea. Although not many jazz guitarists used them, they were one of the choices.

Eastmans are good but are more like Benedettos than classic Gibson, Epiphone or Guild archtops.

Ibanez and other manufacturers make good quality guitars. I had one, it was a nice guitar, but not like an American archtop from the past.

So, what to do if you don't have the money for a new or vintage Gibson or a custom made guitar? Or a D'Angelico? I've never seen or played one. Granted that D'Angelico was an individual luthier and not a company, it is a famous name American made archtop and was bound to be copied by someone. Those luthier made replicas and Vestax imports are better than the Korean models. Someone also put out low priced import Strombergs for awhile.

Everyone makes their own choice. Buy an Asian replica American archtop or an Ibanez or Eastman or find a good deal on a vintage archtop. Some of us don't have access to stores with vintage archtop selections or any way to try them first so a new guitar can be a safer choice. I've had an Ibanez, an Eastman and one of the last Westerley made Guilds since 2000. The Eastman was too bright and the Guild was dead as a doorknob and built like a tank with no resonance at all.

I think part of the attraction of archtops is in the looks, we all admire them. If you have a choice of a copy of an Epiphone, Guild, Gretsch, Benedetto or D'Angelico versus an Ibanez or other import without the classic looks of the past, the style might be an influential factor, though there is no relation to the original guitars besides cosmetic appearances.
    I don’t know Zephyr, but you owe it to yourself to play an original Dangelico or Super 400 even if you never can or would buy one.

Try and see someway to at least experience playing one. If you are in the neighborhood you are welcome to give a try. This goes for any great archtop does not need to be a D’angelico.

I can’t keep up with guys in the Tour de France but I still can ride the same roads just have to dial back what I can do.

User Info Menu

Sure, I promise not to buy a $1000 guitar because it offends people who own $30,000 guitars. Oops, too late.

I mean seriously guys.

John

User Info Menu

Thanks. I appreciate the generous offer. I would love to play a real D'Angelico or Gibson Super 400 or another L5. However, I am 67 now, live in the Santa Cruz, CA area with no car and don't travel, so it is unlikely I will have the opportunity. The best archtop I ever played was a Gilchrist once at a shop in Carmel so I know the good ones are worth it, they are just unaffordable for me. Stay tuned!