Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 50 of 68

User Info Menu

Hi Guys,
    Every time I play this guitar I ask myself "why the hell do you keep searching?"
    This is a GREAT guitar. Patrick, if you are watching - you did good bro.
    I hope my next guitars (plural) can compare..
    I hope you like.

Thanks, Joe D

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Wow Joe, you really nailed it.
    shes a beauty in your hands.

Big

User Info Menu

Joe, each time you put up a new video, I get more inspired to learn and play more. Well done, sir.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigMikeinNJ

Wow Joe, you really nailed it.
    shes a beauty in your hands.

Big
    Thank You Mikey. I know you Love George. I do too. So does Vinny.
    That song was the 1st real Chord Melody I attempted, about 30 years ago. I learned it all wrong back then. Then I learned Johnny Smiths version. But in the back of my mind, I knew, I had to get that one right. One of the most important tunes in my musical life.
    George is the reason ALOT of us actually Jazz Guitar.
    I PRAY he knows how we feel about him.
    An absolute living legend. Not only a tremendous guitarist, but an extraordinary singer, entertainer and human being.

Thanks for letting me play this great guitar Mike. We are fighting our way back and we are almost to the point where I can spend $ and get my own great guitars. Thanks for letting me use some of yours before I got my feet back on the ground.

Great stuff to come!

JD

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gitfiddler
    Joe, each time you put up a new video, I get more inspired to learn and play more. Well done, sir.
    Thank you Sir.
    This is why I do this. Its in my bones and I cant help myself. I am coming to terms with the fact that this is way I can entertain people. And when I try real hard on something and hear nice things like this, it feeds me the enthusiasm I need to turn it up a notch.
    Thanks for liking my stuff Gitfiddler.
    JD

User Info Menu

Gitfiddler aka GuitarTim is an old crony of mine from Cali. He was at my old place in Pacifica many times. The guys no slouch when it comes to playing.

Big

User Info Menu

Really nice. The guitar sounds great and that first bass note is just awesome!

User Info Menu

Joe,

You have such a sweet touch, such a beautiful legato ... the notes flow so smoothly into the next note, everything with full tone from the inception of sound to the end.

Your touch overlaid on that guitar is just glorious. Thank you!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Yes those bass notes sound fantastic. Very tight and rich. Great job Bro !

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Soloway
    Hi Jim,
    Honestly, I was content with my old "simple" recording approach until I watched your Videos.
    My current workflow is more complicated, but I think the sound is more accurate. Although, The video in their natural state are waaayy less compressed than they are on YouTube. Fast lines get clipped for some reason. I need to figure that out.
    I appreciate and respect your input!
    Joe D

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Max405
    Hi Jim,
    Honestly, I was content with my old "simple" recording approach until I watched your Videos.
    My current workflow is more complicated, but I think the sound is more accurate. Although, The video in their natural state are waaayy less compressed than they are on YouTube. Fast lines get clipped for some reason. I need to figure that out.
    I appreciate and respect your input!
    Joe D
    That struggle never seems to end Joe. Life as a musician without an engineer is probably always going to be a challenge. Hopefully we all keep growing and the finished product keeps getting better.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rNeil
    Joe,
    You have such a sweet touch, such a beautiful legato ... the notes flow so smoothly into the next note, everything with full tone from the inception of sound to the end.
    Your touch overlaid on that guitar is just glorious. Thank you!
    Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Rneil, Thank you. That was really nice to hear.
    I tried real hard to sound just like George, but even my son said it doesnt. He said "its you Dad, playing a George Benson arrangement". I had a look of dissapointment on my face when he said that. And then he walked over to me, put his arm around me and said, "I cant believe you did that.."
    I guess its hard to avoid being "myself". This guitar is able to take a setup that is better than any other guitar I've played so far. The action is CRAZY low. And the guitar does not bottom out.
    Thank you. JD

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    Yes those bass notes sound fantastic. Very tight and rich. Great job Bro !
    I stumbled across this on my BOSS GT_001 when I was trying to eliminate the noise in the hotel room from all the flourescent lights. I went in the setting and turned off the Amp Simulation. Then I increased the "Level" on the EQ setting (which are completely flat). What you get is pure unadulerated Guitar sound. No amp simulation. Clean as a bell.
    Bro, we talk every day. You were the one who said George was the one who got you started playing Jazz guitar. We are lucky to have him as such a strong influence.
    Thanks for always being there bro.
    JD

User Info Menu

Joe that one just took my breath away. As you know, I had an early, "first 1000 (I think)" Heritage Golden Eagle that I had to sell to dig out of credit card debt. I still grieve, every single day, over that guitar. Hearing you play so lyrically on that instrument was sweet to my soul. I hope my long-lost Heritage has found a friend as sensitive as you.

User Info Menu

That struggle never seems to end Joe. Life as a musician without an engineer is probably always going to be a challenge. Hopefully we all keep growing and the finished product keeps getting better.
    So well put Jim.
    I have a very dear friend who actually Produced and engineered a number of cuts from George's albums. I am waiting for his input on how I did with the sound. But I when I hear what he does, its like night and day compared to what I do. Its like his sound fills the entire room. My sound fills a little corner of it.
    The engineers are artists in every sense of the word. And they are extremely over looked and never get credit.
    I am glad you said what you said Jim.
    Thanks, Joe D.

User Info Menu

So well put Jim.
    I have a very dear friend who actually Produced and engineered a number of cuts from George's albums. I am waiting for his input on how I did with the sound. But I when I hear what he does, its like night and day compared to what I do. Its like his sound fills the entire room. My sound fills a little corner of it.
    The engineers are artists in every sense of the word. And they are extremely over looked and never get credit.
    I am glad you said what you said Jim.
    Thanks, Joe D.
    I always say: "We play the instruments, but the engineer plays US."

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    Joe that one just took my breath away. As you know, I had an early, "first 1000 (I think)" Heritage Golden Eagle that I had to sell to dig out of credit card debt. I still grieve, every single day, over that guitar. Hearing you play so lyrically on that instrument was sweet to my soul. I hope my long-lost Heritage has found a friend as sensitive as you.
    Lawson you are the best.
    I hope your HGE finds its way back home to you some day. It's probably still out there. Thinking the same about you. When it comes back home, Its gonna be pretty impressed when it see's what is there in its place. You got some preetty nice arrows in your quiver and quite an ability to use them.
    Thanks Lawson.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gitfiddler
    Couldn’t have put it any better myself.
    Thanks for posting, Joe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dedalus
    Couldn’t have put it any better myself.
    Thanks for posting, Joe.
    So this works out perfectly! You guys keep liking my stuff, makes ME get better, cuz I want to do it more!
    So one day, we are all gonna be unbelievably good!
    Thanks Dedalus

User Info Menu

another beauty joe D..agree with js..that first low d note..wow!!!...lows are great throughout...guitar rings true..clarity...clear as a bell through all registers...and some nice well executed fast passages...yeah!

glad things are on the upswing...looking very much forward to future developments! hah

cheers

User Info Menu

Joe,

This is the best yet. I have enjoyed all of your clips, but your playing, the guitar, and the recording all came into alignment for Tenderly. Just "wow."

User Info Menu

joe
    i never forgot how I fought to pull myself up after my ex split, me riding a Senior Bus to get my shopping done. Selling my gear to keep the bills paid and the animals fed. I’m proud of what you and Elaine have accomplished in the last year, it’s why I’m glad to loan you those guitars. Next I wanna hear you wailing on the GB100. You gonna kill it I know.

?Big

Thank You Mikey. I know you Love George. I do too. So does Vinny.
    That song was the 1st real Chord Melody I attempted, about 30 years ago. I learned it all wrong back then. Then I learned Johnny Smiths version. But in the back of my mind, I knew, I had to get that one right. One of the most important tunes in my musical life.
    George is the reason ALOT of us actually Jazz Guitar.
    I PRAY he knows how we feel about him.
    An absolute living legend. Not only a tremendous guitarist, but an extraordinary singer, entertainer and human being.

Thanks for letting me play this great guitar Mike. We are fighting our way back and we are almost to the point where I can spend $ and get my own great guitars. Thanks for letting me use some of yours before I got my feet back on the ground.

Great stuff to come!

JD

User Info Menu

You just keep getting better and better, Joe! A beautiful song, beautifully played. Thank you so much for sharing this.

User Info Menu

Joe I just thought I would throw this out of course great playing as always. You picture in the avatar you look a bit like one of the Hell's Angel's bikers, not that they are bad or anything.............just not like a jazz guitarist

User Info Menu

BIG MIKE, COVER YOUR EYES.

Joe, I am pretty familiar with GB's version. You very faithfully cover a TOUGH rendition. However, I swear your tone is better than GB's...just saying.

Your rig for this clip is money.

User Info Menu

Hey Joe - real nice job on this tune - and you got a beautiful tone out of that guitar!

User Info Menu

I’m sorry guys. I just spent the last 3 hours trying to solder a schatten onto my 165. The braided wire drove me crazy. Then, the “too short” wire coming from the Jack made me pull everything apart. When I tried something else, I think I fried the Schatten.
    I’ll start answering the replies. Sorry guys.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    another beauty joe D..agree with js..that first low d note..wow!!!...lows are great throughout...guitar rings true..clarity...clear as a bell through all registers...and some nice well executed fast passages...yeah!
    glad things are on the upswing...looking very much forward to future developments! hah
    cheers
    Thank you neatomic. Yes things are looking up. The plan is not etched in stone yet. But it’s gonna be great.
    The Wineburst is a terrific guitar.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    Joe,
    This is the best yet. I have enjoyed all of your clips, but your playing, the guitar, and the recording all came into alignment for Tenderly. Just "wow."
    GT, thank you buddy. Everything you said put a big, bigger and even BIGGER smile on my face.
    Thanks my man.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigMikeinNJ
    joe
    i never forgot how I fought to pull myself up after my ex split, me riding a Senior Bus to get my shopping done. Selling my gear to keep the bills paid and the animals fed. I’m proud of what you and Elaine have accomplished in the last year, it’s why I’m glad to loan you those guitars. Next I wanna hear you wailing on the GB100. You gonna kill it I know.

?Big
    Thank you Mike. You are a good dude.
    Joe D

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74
    You just keep getting better and better, Joe! A beautiful song, beautifully played. Thank you so much for sharing this.
    C74, thank you sir. Thank you for always being a positive force around here.

User Info Menu

It doesn't get much better than that. Nice git, and playing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by deacon Mark
    Joe I just thought I would throw this out of course great playing as always. You picture in the avatar you look a bit like one of the Hell's Angel's bikers, not that they are bad or anything.............just not like a jazz guitarist
    Deacon, I think I might have to tweak that a little.
    My wife calls that my sexy picture. Haha..

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    Joe, I am pretty familiar with GB's version. You very faithfully cover a TOUGH rendition. However, I swear your tone is better than GB's...just saying.
    Your rig for this clip is money.
    GT, Thanks again. Maybe my sound is good, but we all know, I couldn’t carry George’s gym bag.
    I am very happy buddy.
    JD

User Info Menu

sorry abt the schatten joe D..tomorrows another day...may not be fried..or can be rescued

great playing on op nevertheless!

cheers

User Info Menu

That is some magnificent stuff, Joe. I don't know what else to say. I've played the video three times through. Those fluid elegant lines in between could send Eric Johnson back to the woodshed.

Seven lifetimes hence I hope to be able to play like that.

Thanks for always sharing your stuff.

User Info Menu

Fantastic playing Joe!! Oh and the Golden Eagle sounds awsome!! I have Seymor Duncan Seth Lovers in my H-535 (like the Golden Eagle you were playing has), and they are killer pickups. What was the neck profile like on the Golden Eagle? Slim, or nice and chunky like my H-535 has.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MCampellone
    Hey Joe - real nice job on this tune - and you got a beautiful tone out of that guitar!
    Vinny went out of his way trying to convince me that you make the best guitar. When I tried out Mikes Standard, I realized I should have listened to our good friend long ago.
    I wasn’t around for John D'Angelico. He passed away the year I was born. And my paper route money wasn’t gonna cut it on a D’Aquisto.
    Mark, I am so looking forward to Having one of your masterpieces for my very own.
    I haven’t been this excited about a purchase in a long time.
    Thank you Mark. It’s going to be an honor to have one your guitars.

User Info Menu

I’m sorry guys, I have to start stacking my replies.

Quote Originally Posted by GNAPPI
    It doesn't get much better than that. Nice git, and playing.
    Thank you Gary. It is a great arrangement by a living legend. The guitar is a real treat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flat
    That is some magnificent stuff, Joe. I don't know what else to say. I've played the video three times through. Those fluid elegant lines in between could send Eric Johnson back to the woodshed.
    Seven lifetimes hence I hope to be able to play like that.
    Thanks for always sharing your stuff.
    You should change your sign on to Ebmaj7. All of your posts are, well, perfect! Thank you buddy.
    Quote Originally Posted by EllenGtrGrl
    Fantastic playing Joe!! Oh and the Golden Eagle sounds awsome!! I have Seymor Duncan Seth Lovers in my H-535 (like the Golden Eagle you were playing has), and they are killer pickups. What was the neck profile like on the Golden Eagle? Slim, or nice and chunky like my H-535 has.
    Ellen, I follow your posts and I really dig your spirit. Your passion for the Guitar is a breath of fresh air.
    The neck profile is whatever a modern day L5 is. Not too chunky, not too slim. A neck made for every hand. I think you would like it.
    The pickup in this guitar is an old Gibson Pickup. The one with the patent number of a a stop tailpiece in it.
    Ronaldo Orlandoni gave it to Patrick and Patrick had Heritage mount it in this guitar when they were building it. It’s a less powerful 57 Classic. It’s actually a good pickup for this guitar.
    Thanks for your post Ellen.
    JD

User Info Menu

I was thinking the same thing, and wanted to ask how that was amplified/recorded, but then feared that the reply would only be something like "Why, the new $40,000 XYZ-3000 Turbo, of course!"

User Info Menu

Imagine if you got this guitar as a teenager and you never looked for or touched another. From my viewpoint, you would have done just fine.

I truly do love the sound. The power of the low notes can be felt. The mids are just right. The high notes aren't shrill. The volume balance from string to string is right on.

That's was beautiful playing, Joe.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Zina
    I was thinking the same thing, and wanted to ask how that was amplified/recorded, but then feared that the reply would only be something like "Why, the new $40,000 XYZ-3000 Turbo, of course!"
    Zina, I would NEVER answer you in a condescending tone like that. Never.
    And the answer would not be by using some expensive stuff. Not me. I built my 1st bike out of parts I found in the garbage. I’ve been conditioned since I was little to make good with what you have and work hard to build around it.
    I would never be disrespectful to you.
    JD

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Grass
    Imagine if you got this guitar as a teenager and you never looked for or touched another. From my viewpoint, you would have done just fine.
    I truly do love the sound. The power of the low notes can be felt. The mids are just right. The high notes aren't shrill. The volume balance from string to string is right on.
    That's was beautiful playing, Joe.
    MG, you were around with Patrick when he was he was collecting all these guitars. I hope you think that he would proud of what he collected. I’ve played a few of his old babies and there was not a single turd in any of them.
    If had this guitar as teenager I would have thought I died and went to heaven. I was at Sweetest Sounds in Lyndhurst NJ one day and one of the owners of Heritage came into the store to meet with Ed Capuano (god rest his soul). He opened the case and I remember me and my friends Joey Barbarisi and Augie Bono looking the most beautiful guitars we had ever seen in the cases. I remember that night, looking at my old Vantage guitar thinking.. “if I sold this and a couple body parts, maybe some day I can afford one”..
    These are beautiful guitars. No doubt. I’ve lusted after them for 35 years.
    Thanks, Joe D

User Info Menu

Deacon, I think I might have to tweak that a little.
    My wife calls that my sexy picture. Haha..
    I like that picture. What exactly does jazz guitarist look like? I always thought Howard Roberts looked like "Agent Smith" in the Matrix.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    I like that picture. What exactly does jazz guitarist look like? I always thought Howard Roberts looked like "Agent Smith" in the Matrix.
    That picture of Marco (ss) playing his D'A with those great socks. The stereotype jazz cat.

User Info Menu

I might put a picture of Marco up as my Avatar. Or maybe Mr Magoo...
    L,J

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    That picture of Marco (ss) playing his D'A with those great socks. The stereotype jazz cat.
    A picture is worth a thousand words....Heritage Golden Eagle - Tenderly-da2-jpg

User Info Menu

You could go for something like...
    Heritage Golden Eagle - Tenderly-roberts-agentsmith-jpg

User Info Menu

Joe,
    The Golden Eagle sounds terrific, clear as a bell, and as usual
    you gave a very nice rendition of Tenderly , it does'nt get much
    better than that sound.

The avatar is fine no change needed

Well done buddy

User Info Menu

Foxman,
    1st off, Thanks for the friendship we’ve forged.
    I appreciate the thing we got. George was picking up the chops that day from Joe Pass when you were giving Joe his lesson. I think he used those chops in the song, so you should get at least partial credit for the arrangement..
    Thank you brother.
    Joe D