The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 82

User Info Menu

I had a Two Notes Torpedo Cab M+ arrive yesterday.

This has a SF Bassman pre-amp, power amp options (6L6/EL34/EL84/KT88/Single End or Push Pull/ triode or pentode), 8 single/blended micing options, EQ reverb and gate, 32 stock cabinet IRs + loader for importing. Also tuner, aux in, headphones, DI out, power amp in, speaker out (it's not a load box).

Only had a chance to go through the presets so far. They're all clean ones, and clearly intended to be a canvas for distortion etc added separately. There's not much of use as a jazz clean out of the box, but unlike the Iridium there's so much tweakable that it can probably be coaxed out eventually. Will report back from the rabbit hole in a few days.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Do start a separate thread on the 2Notes Torpedo Cab M+, bndivine. Would love to hear your thoughts.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Soloway
    I've had the same thought many times. There are companies coming close (at least for those of us just trying to cover the clean tone end of things). Milkman's "The Amp" and the Raezer's Edge Luna (especially the 200R) really close.
    The Mesa Rosette comes as either a DI/pre pedal or mated with a class D into a 2x8+tweeter cab. If enough companies start selling the brains as pedals FRFRs are going to sell.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Spook410
    A few notes having used this in my primary rig for awhile now. While I do use it daily there are limitations some may not expect. Mainly, it doesn't sound like the amp and speaker you're modeling as you sit in a room with it. May sound like a mic'd version of that depending on the quality of your speaker, but most of us are not running studio monitors.

I use a Yamaha DZR10 most of the time. It's a pretty good speaker. Sometimes I plug into an Acus 350 (acoustic amp). Sometimes a Schertler Jam 150 extension (powered speaker). I get a very usable tone and I enjoy tweaking the rig across a range of acoustic-ish archtops to pure electrics. Still, sometimes I just forego the Iridium set up and plug into a combo amp with an open back cabinet. And I'm reminded of how much I like that sound.

It's hard to get these setups away from sounding boxy and canned. Even running good speakers and good EQ (I run through an Grace Felix with the Iridium in the fx loop). You can get to something OK and if you need to run a full range system like I do (vocals, sax through same rig) it's a good solution. Just don't think you can take a small powered speaker and one of these for instant Fender Deluxe tone.

Guess this sounds like I don't care for it and that's not the case. I do get some good sounds out of it. But I think while modeling has excelled and speakers have excelled, the 'system' still sounds like a recording of what you want and lacks that warm hug of a combo amp. As always, your experience and views will not be the same as mine. So this is 'for what it's worth..'
    might be as much a feel thing as anything? Valve amps do feel different. On the whole they feel annoying and hard to play to me, but there is a certain warmth in there.

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    might be as much a feel thing as anything? Valve amps do feel different. On the whole they feel annoying and hard to play to me, but there is a certain warmth in there.
    For me, it's not the feel.

I think it's simple speaker physics. Open back cabinets vs. closed. and full range speakers versus the typical guitar cabinet.

I do compare against an older Fender Concert which is a valve amp. But also with a newer tech Roland Blues Cube Artist and a Quilter 201 into a guitar cab. (I know.. too much gear around here)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Spook410
    For me, it's not the feel.

I think it's simple speaker physics. Open back cabinets vs. closed. and full range speakers versus the typical guitar cabinet.

I do compare against an older Fender Concert which is a valve amp. But also with a newer tech Roland Blues Cube Artist and a Quilter 201 into a guitar cab. (I know.. too much gear around here)
    well perhaps I mean it’s more about how the sound is perceived in the room in 3-d as opposed to how it is represented in sort of 1-D by a PA system for instance. The sound as a physical perception rather than a recorded waveform.

However the audience perception of this may be different to the player... after all the way speakers radiate
    in the room and so on and how amps sound from a distance etc.

I also wonder how much this has to do with what you are used to?

Anyway this is all irrelevant to me in the long run. As cool as they may be, amps that heavy aren’t going to be an option for most of us in London; this is a city that is becoming increasingly hostile to drivers. It no longer makes financial sense to drive to gigs in the centre (when and if they return.) OTOH did I mention our public transport is basically bankrupt? Should be fun.

Anyway thing that plugs into the pa or my wee TOOB and sounds good is the way to go. Perhaps I can use the Fender for out of towners. Or recording. Or sell it to someone who doesn’t gig.

User Info Menu

I'd like to see a roundup of these devices with just clean tones. To my ears, amp modeling has arrived with the IR technology well enough. I'm just interested in something for recording and practice. For now, I favor the Iridium.

User Info Menu

I'm humbled by this thread's technicality. I spent years moving away from technology to a simple guitar-lead-amp set-up. To be honest, it works and I don't really understand all these simulation pedals and don't see why I should move away from my Gibson/Mesa Boogie. What's the deal?

User Info Menu

Portability is the deal for me.

Also, sound engineers.

Otherwise, fine. Why not a nice valve amp?

User Info Menu

Is this in the same category:

DSM & HUMBOLDT SIMPLIFIER, first zero watt stereo amplifier

For me these are not useful but apparently there is some kind of market for these... (I don’t even know what is the word for these!).

User Info Menu

Portability is the deal for me.

Also, sound engineers.

Otherwise, fine. Why not a nice valve amp?
    The other advantages are that they're MUCH easier to record and they work equally well at all volume levels.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Irishmuso
    I'm humbled by this thread's technicality. I spent years moving away from technology to a simple guitar-lead-amp set-up. To be honest, it works and I don't really understand all these simulation pedals and don't see why I should move away from my Gibson/Mesa Boogie. What's the deal?
    Simplicity isn't the driver. My set-up is simply guitar>Amplifirebox>FRFR and it works.
    The deal is this equation: My Boogie Mark III = 80lbs > AFB + FRFR = 21lbs.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Herbie
    Is this in the same category:

DSM & HUMBOLDT SIMPLIFIER, first zero watt stereo amplifier

For me these are not useful but apparently there is some kind of market for these... (I don’t even know what is the word for these!).
    Here's a good comparison of features of some leading contenders:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Soloway
    The other advantages are that they're MUCH easier to record and they work equally well at all volume levels.
    True.

TBH I just DI and use a plug ins; the iridium or something like it would be convenient for reamping (as probably sounds better) which is something I’ve got more into than recording a wet signal. (Take a dry signal from the guitar when actually recording. You can of course monitor through a conventional amp.)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bleakanddivine
    Here's a good comparison of features of some leading contenders:

Tough call here.

User Info Menu

True.

TBH I just DI and use a plug ins; the iridium or something like it would be convenient for reamping (as probably sounds better) which is something I’ve got more into than recording a wet signal. (Take a dry signal from the guitar when actually recording. You can of course monitor through a conventional amp.)
    What plugins do you use, Christian? I’ve yet to find a convincing sound off a plug-in (most surely my bad).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xavierbarcelo
    What plugins do you use, Christian? I’ve yet to find a convincing sound off a plug-in (most surely my bad).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    i just use the Logic vanilla ones atm.

I think it sounds nice

obviously I’m not looking to simulate an amp with all its complexities in this situation. YMMV. I just record at a losing level using the acoustic sound of the guitar and a touch of monitoring

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stevebol
    Tough call here.
    I like the Two Notes Torpedo C.A.B. M+ best by a country mile! I was about to push the BUY button on the Strymon Iridium! The 2Notes is a lot more affordable, too.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    I like the Two Notes Torpedo C.A.B. M+ best by a country mile! I was about to push the BUY button on the Strymon Iridium! The 2Notes is a lot more affordable, too.
    I'm wondering if the Iridium IR's are at higher resolution. I don't know. All these current devices sound way better than the old Line 6 POD to me. The Two Tones seems to be the most flexible of the bunch.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    I seriously considered the Cab M+. I love the features but I really don't like the idea of having to dig into the interface to make even the most basic of changes. That was really why I got out of modeling in the first place.

User Info Menu

i just use the Logic vanilla ones atm.

I think it sounds nice

obviously I’m not looking to simulate an amp with all its complexities in this situation. YMMV. I just record at a losing level using the acoustic sound of the guitar and a touch of monitoring
    It does indeed sound nice! I’ll dig into it. Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

User Info Menu

Two notes sounded good to me.

User Info Menu

To my ears;

Iridium
    Firebox
    Two Notes
    Humboldt

User Info Menu

A question for those of you have hands on experience with the Iridium ... As I understand it the "Room" control adds some ambiance to the sound. Is it actually reverb or something else? I guess what I'm really asking is if someone can just explain what the "room" control actually does. Would I need to run a reverb pedal with it in a live situation?

User Info Menu

So, I think anybody with an Iridium should really post some clips online, I'm especially interested in jazz guys using the Vox settings in a fairly classic jazz way... I'm gonna have to get one of these when I have money