The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 82

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan0996
    I do, Jack, but I'd like to go smaller, lighter and simpler. And I'm really just looking for a good Fender tube amp sound without the tubes. I don't need 240 amps, 197 cabs and 126 effects (or whatever it is)..

I'd like to try the Iridium and maybe the Fender Tone Master.
    My relatively cheap modeling amp, a Katana 100w combo, gathers dust since I brought home a ToneMaster Twin. Got real bored with plugging into a computer to reset the EQ(s) for a different guitar. With the TMTR just grab the knobs. Very happy but I’m keeping the Kat for its versatility.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Spook410
    I've used the Joyo American off and on. For cheap it's great. However, the Iridium is certainly a different kettle of fish. In the end, whether someone needs this sort of tech or not, it's really fascinating how things are evolving. Or not for those that complain we just keep copying old gear and sounds. Sort of being a Luddite with the latest gear.
    Oh I'm a super late adopter. I just buy what everyone else is using about five years after them.

User Info Menu

Sorry, I somehow got it confused with the cab m and assumed it was just a preamp for some reason. It's interesting if it works through a pa, but as a non bright vox guy, it worries me. And really, I'm just afraid to spend the money. I wouldn't use it inside the house, as the cab m proved.

The two notes advantage is that instead of shuffling through marginally different presets, you just get a cab. Then you pick your mic (or two) and place them as you like. as someone who did that in real life, it makes more sense to me. it feels better and it's more fun. too bright? Move the mic away from the cone. Too dark, move it in. Too direct? move it away from the cab. Or add a second mic. then you save that as your preset and use that. Not for everyone but I love it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Spook410

Wouldn't discount the new Quilter DI either.
    [edit] - I thought you were talking about kemper di. Sorry. if i'm not mistaken, the kemper DI is designed exclusively to capture amplifier responses without a cabinet to facilitate kemper profiler's pure cab feature. Their website says it's not designed for other use.
    Last edited by jzucker; 02-09-2020 at 01:03 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    The AmpliFire stuff hasn’t knocked me out. Maybe it’s good for gainey tones? I certainly felt that with the BluG stuff.
    Curious, did you try the Bluguitar amp for clean archtop sounds?

There’s a Brit player/singer who endorsed it on a Thomas Blug’s site, Benson-ish player, sounded good. I’ve been curious about these, as they would be a great portability/ backup solution if they sounded as good for cleans as they do for overdrive.

User Info Menu

So I got this thing yesterday afternoon. Here is a quick (but long!) look at some clean sounds on each of the stock settings, with a bit of tweaking on the fly. All with a CVC Tele, TI flats and SD Alnico II neck pickup which is what I prefer to use at the moment. It's just over a 8 bar iReal loop, aiming to play the same sort of stuff across all the settings, so not one for those easily bored! Will probably try a run through with a 175 or L4 when I've had a bit more of a play with it.

User Info Menu

Will probably try a run through with a 175 or L4 when I've had a bit more of a play with it.
    I am very interested in what these things sound like with an archtop so by all means do the same thing with a 175, if you will ...

DB

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by yebdox
    Curious, did you try the Bluguitar amp for clean archtop sounds?
    yes I did. It seemed very flat and lacklustre to me. So no improvement on my AER, which is at least flat in a very hi fi way and actually sounds great with my 175.

There’s a Brit player/singer who endorsed it on a Thomas Blug’s site, Benson-ish player, sounded good. I’ve been curious about these, as they would be a great portability/ backup solution if they sounded as good for cleans as they do for overdrive.
    I think the Iridium blows it away for cleans from the demo here. Get a class D pedal power amp and you’ll be laughing. There’s a few around now, Seymour Duncan, Mooer, Quilter and so on

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DB's Jazz Guitar Blog
    I am very interested in what these things sound like with an archtop so by all means do the same thing with a 175, if you will ...

DB
    Here it is with a couple of 175s....

User Info Menu

You can spend a lot more money, go through much more effort and still sound a lot worse than that. Great playing, too.

Quote Originally Posted by feet
    You can spend a lot more money, go through much more effort and still sound a lot worse than that. Great playing, too.
    The hard and expensive part isn't sounding good on a recording. The hard part is getting that sound into a room at volume where we're all used to the warm embrace of an open back cabinet.

That being said, I like the Iridium quite a lot and don't see myself going back to combo amps anytime soon.

User Info Menu

bleakanddivine, Those are two of the best demos of the Iridium that I have heard. To me, most demos seem to sound sterile and flat. Your playing and tone are both incredible.

User Info Menu

Another contender is the Humboldt Simplifier but a common observation is; it sounds very good, it's more versatile than the Iridium but it doesn't sound like a guitar amplifier. To my ears, the Iridium nails the Fender amp sound. It's no Line 6 POD;

i think I'm going to get one soon. The Humboldt does gain(distortion) much better but I'm only interested in the clean sound.

User Info Menu

I think Strymon just make really good professional shit. It does sound really good. Maybe iridium into the TOOB at some point? I'd like an integrated power amp though in one of these units. They do exist, obviously, quilter best known probably.

User Info Menu

I really like this one.

User Info Menu

I have been thinking of one of these, but then I heard the DSM & Humboldt Simpler, which sounds even better in the clips I have heard on YouTube

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by patshep
    I have been thinking of one of these, but then I heard the DSM & Humboldt Simpler, which sounds even better in the clips I have heard on YouTube
    Pat, is it possible for you to post a couple that you like? Until I get monitors, it's going to be tough to find the useful videos.

User Info Menu

I think Strymon just make really good professional shit. It does sound really good. Maybe iridium into the TOOB at some point? I'd like an integrated power amp though in one of these units. They do exist, obviously, quilter best known probably.
    If money is not an issue, I recommend an Acoustic Image Clarus SL-R: low-cut filter, power amp input (300W-1000W depending on impedance, rms vs peak), on board reverb and delay, tiny and feather weight, no fan etc etc

User Info Menu

I meant have a class D amp built into the Iridium. There’s quite a few units like this, but I don’t like the clean channels on any of them quite as much as the Iridium.

Also isn’t the AI an amp with its own preamp? I’m not sure how much that affects things?

Anyway, weight is a key consideration generally because London is being made extremely car unfriendly, so should the gigs come back I’m on foot as much as possible.

User Info Menu

I meant have a class D amp built into the Iridium. There’s quite a few units like this, but I don’t like the clean channels on any of them quite as much as the Iridium.

Also isn’t the AI an amp with its own preamp? I’m not sure how much that affects things?

Anyway, weight is a key consideration generally because London is being made extremely car unfriendly, so should the gigs come back I’m on foot as much as possible.
    I misunderstood. The AI has a preamp and onboard effects of its own, many people report using the effect loop return for their applications. Their Doubleshot speaker cab is only 15 lbs and 12X11 inches so altogether a 17-lb load in a specialized backpack for $1300. With your Fly Rig, it would become infinitely flexible.

User Info Menu

my way ....

pre-amp of choice ... I’ve been looking for something better than my cheapo harley benton American trutone ....
    your flyrig maybe would be pretty cool
    does it do an octave down ,
    sometimes i need that
    (bass players a no-show etc)

power amp (for power , not tone)
    Bam200 is fine (and very small/light)

small powerful neo speaker cab
    Toob metro 6.5” ... very light ,small ,
    and well loud enough for a drummer

or jbl control 1 (i use an ariston clone/copy 4.5” driver)
    ... ridiculously light and small (not quite as loud as the Toob for a gig with a drummer but still fine for a small gig or rehrearsal !

stick the whole lot in your shoulder bag
    pick up and go ....

amazing how tech has evolved to let you
    realistically do this now ....

User Info Menu

I've had the same thought many times. There are companies coming close (at least for those of us just trying to cover the clean tone end of things). Milkman's "The Amp" and the Raezer's Edge Luna (especially the 200R) really close.
    Last edited by Jim Soloway; 08-10-2020 at 04:03 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Soloway
    I've had the same though many times. There are companies coming close (at least for those of us just trying to cover the clean tone end of things). Milkman's "The Amp" and the Raezer's Edge Luna (especially the 200R) really close.
    Raezer's Edge and Acoustic Image are definitely related (how tightly I don'y know) since they make cabs for their heads. Could AI be manufacturig their amps for them ?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by medblues
    Raezer's Edge and Acoustic Image are definitely related (how tightly I don'y know) since they make cabs for their heads. Could AI be manufacturig their amps for them ?
    Could be. I know that Geoff has been working on this for a long time. Jack Zucker's been involved at the testing and advisory level for quite a while so he may know more details but I do really like the feature set on the amps they've come up with, especially in the Luna 200R. They've even got a bundle pack wth the 200R and the One 6 cab with a carry bag for the whole thing. That's a really great idea.

A few notes having used this in my primary rig for awhile now. While I do use it daily there are limitations some may not expect. Mainly, it doesn't sound like the amp and speaker you're modeling as you sit in a room with it. May sound like a mic'd version of that depending on the quality of your speaker, but most of us are not running studio monitors.

I use a Yamaha DZR10 most of the time. It's a pretty good speaker. Sometimes I plug into an Acus 350 (acoustic amp). Sometimes a Schertler Jam 150 extension (powered speaker). I get a very usable tone and I enjoy tweaking the rig across a range of acoustic-ish archtops to pure electrics. Still, sometimes I just forego the Iridium set up and plug into a combo amp with an open back cabinet. And I'm reminded of how much I like that sound.

It's hard to get these setups away from sounding boxy and canned. Even running good speakers and good EQ (I run through an Grace Felix with the Iridium in the fx loop). You can get to something OK and if you need to run a full range system like I do (vocals, sax through same rig) it's a good solution. Just don't think you can take a small powered speaker and one of these for instant Fender Deluxe tone.

Guess this sounds like I don't care for it and that's not the case. I do get some good sounds out of it. But I think while modeling has excelled and speakers have excelled, the 'system' still sounds like a recording of what you want and lacks that warm hug of a combo amp. As always, your experience and views will not be the same as mine. So this is 'for what it's worth..'