The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 82

User Info Menu

We've talked about how modeling is getting closer to sounding like something we want to play through. As far as I can tell, the Strymon Iridium looks interesting for jazz players. With a Fender Deluxe and Vox amp models along with some reasonable speaker cabinet Input Response (IR) simulations I've been convinced to order one. I like that it's receiving rave reviews for sound while having a simple (e.g. no menu drilling) interface. At $400 it's not cheap. However, the concept offers a great deal of flexibility:

- With amp/cab, EQ, reverb, looper, and DI one smallish pedal board covers acoustics (bypass the amp/cab) and electric

- With my set up, there's the 20lb Schertler cabinet if enough. 40lb Yamaha DRZ10 if necessary. The latter being 2000W in a small package. There are several FRFR speakers available across the price spectrum.

- Front Of House (FOH) and some studio situations, all you need is your pedal board

Setting this up with high end everything can get pricey. But with an inexpensive FRFR (Headrush comes to mind) it's not bad. And it does cover a lot of ground especially for those of us running flat tops, archtops, and the occasional Strat.

Anybody else looking into these?

Strymon Iridium-iridium-jpg
    Last edited by Spook410; 01-09-2020 at 01:50 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I bought one and I like it. The Fender and Vox sounds are wonderful. It's easy to use and it responds nicely as you adjust to taste.
    I was holding out for a Fractal FM3 but it's more than I need although it would sound fantastic.
    The Iridium works great with my Zendrive and Dispatch Master pedals as well.
    As usual, ymmv....

User Info Menu

Would be great for gigs with great monitors, as well as for recording. But I don't see the point of it for most of the gigs I already use an amp on?

Quote Originally Posted by jads57
    Would be great for gigs with great monitors, as well as for recording. But I don't see the point of it for most of the gigs I already use an amp on?
    If you use one guitar and one amp that isn't too heavy, probably not a lot. However, I use flat tops, acoustic archtops, electric archtops, and electrics as well as playing in places calling for a small speaker vs. a bigger one. Having a speaker capable of full range acoustic that can also be used with modeling for everything else will make my life easier.

User Info Menu

I would love one of these for my little studio, they sound nice, i don't need a million sounds, just a good clean sound
    will it sound as good as my mic'd princeton? probably not, but the convenience would be great...
    wish i could try one before i buy, cause it's still not cheap

User Info Menu

Another option is the the Atomic Amplifirebox. 14 amp models and loadable IRs, compact size, XLR outs etc. $299

Strymon Iridium-afire-box-close700-jpg

User Info Menu

I've been trying to justify getting one of these (so far unsuccessfully). It's got very good reviews. 300 amps, effects, IR's. Same processor as the more expensive the larger Helix model.
    https://line6.com/hx-stomp/

User Info Menu

Quilter amps sound great for acoustic instruments flat top,archtop,etc Evven using a Guitar Synth in the additional channel. And with a head or Tone Block version you can go direct as well!

So I've been using the pedal for several days. So far what I've found is that it does exactly what it says in terms of modeling a specific amp and speaker cabinet. Because a PA speaker, even a very good one, doesn't sound exactly like an open back guitar cabinet, there is that difference. But it's kind of a nitpick for any setting other than playing solo in my living room. And it isn't better vs. worse.. just different with the tighter dispersion of a PA spkr. I haven't experimented with multiple speakers for reflected sound and fill. And now I have the option of stereo though not sure what that would do for me unless I were using a modulation effect.

Overall I'm liking this set up. One pedal board. One speaker. Done. And I'm surprised I like the Vox amp model so well. It's quite crisp (in a good way) compared to the Fender Deluxe. And I can just hit the 'off' switch when I go to a flat top or mic running to the same PA speaker.

User Info Menu

So Quilter Labs has relased a guitar amp direct interface at 2020 NAMM. Not as versatile as the Strymon. But at $99 a great deal for sure!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Spook410
    If you use one guitar and one amp that isn't too heavy, probably not a lot. However, I use flat tops, acoustic archtops, electric archtops, and electrics as well as playing in places calling for a small speaker vs. a bigger one. Having a speaker capable of full range acoustic that can also be used with modeling for everything else will make my life easier.
    My experience with FRFR cabs for jazz, rock or fusion has been meh...When I had an axefx and kemper i did love the acoustic and nylon string tones I could get but both for practicing and performing, the FRFR system sounded awful to me on stage. Particularly in a loud band. I tried many systems from atomic to high end powered PA speakers and the results were pretty much the same. The systems like the atomic sounded better than the PA speakers for guitar but I honestly felt they were voiced more for low tuned metal tones.

Back to an amp now (raezer's edge luna) and when I want tubes I just click on my kingsley maiden.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tal_175
    I've been trying to justify getting one of these (so far unsuccessfully). It's got very good reviews. 300 amps, effects, IR's. Same processor as the more expensive the larger Helix model.
    https://line6.com/hx-stomp/
    The HX Stomp is $650. Line 6 just released the POD GO at NAMM (https://line6.com/podgo/). This one will be $450. Supposedly has the same amp and effect models as other HX products, but less functionality.

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    My experience with FRFR cabs for jazz, rock or fusion has been meh...
    The new generation amp modelers and cabinet simulators aren't going to address physics and they won't make PA speakers, designed more for DJ's and toughness, sound like a guitar cabinet. Or studio monitors for that matter. They just don't disperse sound the same way. Still, the better ones do sound pretty good. And you have to consider what the audience is hearing versus what you hear. If you are in a loud band, aren't you ultimately running through PA speakers anyway?

At the end of the day I want something that sounds good and supports all the different things I need it to do. A flat top, voice, and saxophone don't sound too great constrained by the limits of a guitar speaker cabinet. However I'm finding, so far anyway, I can get usable electric and archtop sounds from the FRFR. But it's early in the cycle and we'll see if I'm driven back to guitar amps.

User Info Menu

So does the Iridium have a PC editor with similar parameter editing facilities as the Atomic AFB? i.e Amp (Damping), EQ filters (LoPass, HiPass, LoShelf, HiShelf, BandPass, Notch, Peaking, Level, Frequency, Q, LowCut), Cab (Rolloff, Peak Q, Bottom, Air).

You can download different cabinet IR's (haven't tried yet though there's quite a few out there). Other than that, controls are, by design, pretty simple. Features here: Iridium - Iridium - Amp Modeler & Impulse Response Cabinet - Strymon

If you're looking for a pedal that allows drilling down and a myriad of options, the Line 6 HX Stomp gets good reviews.

User Info Menu

Tbh I see this type of thing as a advanced digital age refinement on what SansAmp has been doing for decades rather than anything revolutionary for guitarists, but it sounds, like, really good. Tbh though my FlyRig sounds pretty good and is more convenient on gigs.

so I doubt I’ll go for this. If a big pop gig comes in (very much lol) I’ll pick up the Fractal or something. Until then I just need Fender clean emulation.

The AmpliFire stuff hasn’t knocked me out. Maybe it’s good for gainey tones? I certainly felt that with the BluG stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    .. Until then I just need Fender clean emulation.

I've used the Joyo American off and on. For cheap it's great. However, the Iridium is certainly a different kettle of fish. In the end, whether someone needs this sort of tech or not, it's really fascinating how things are evolving. Or not for those that complain we just keep copying old gear and sounds. Sort of being a Luddite with the latest gear.

Just a quick update..

The Iridium allows the user to replace the simulated cabinets the pedal baselines with different cabinets. These can be from a few different choices on the Strymon app or purchased from vendors like Ownhammer online.

While the choices are vast (different: type of mic, position of mic, position in room, mix [dark, warm, front, thick, on and on] as well as cabinet type and speaker type) it's fun to experiment. So far I like a mix of a Deluxe Reverb cabinet with a 12" CTS mixed with a Vibroverb cabinet with a 15" JBL in a mix they describe as something you might use for traditional accompaniment. And mid scooped. And yes, it does get that crazy. This will be for my most acoustic archtop. For a humbucker and flatwounds, will do something different. It sounds like a lot and hard but it isn't really. Just the laptop, a guitar, and pedal with some drag, drop, listen. You start to get a feel for the choices pretty quickly.

As for the sound, I used to miss an open back amp in the room. Now I don't. Really liking the Iridium.

User Info Menu

Nice to see Quilter come out with a direct tool but I was hoping it would have the limiter and reverb. Like the 202 but with out the amp bit.
    Maybe next year...

User Info Menu

These boxes seem very cool.
    I'm wondering about plugging one into the back of my Evans.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan0996
    These boxes seem very cool.
    I'm wondering about plugging one into the back of my Evans.
    don't you have an ax8?

User Info Menu

I do, Jack, but I'd like to go smaller, lighter and simpler. And I'm really just looking for a good Fender tube amp sound without the tubes. I don't need 240 amps, 197 cabs and 126 effects (or whatever it is)..

I'd like to try the Iridium and maybe the Fender Tone Master.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan0996
    I do, Jack, but I'd like to go smaller, lighter and simpler. And I'm really just looking for a good Fender tube amp sound without the tubes. I don't need 240 amps, 197 cabs and 126 effects (or whatever it is)..

I'd like to try the Iridium and maybe the Fender Tone Master.
    I was going for one pedal board for lots of applications so the form factor was a major consideration. However the simplicity also mattered. While I'll take the time to load different cabinet models into the Iridium I wasn't drawn to frequent dives into the menus on one of the Fractal units or a Line 6 Helix. Not the mention the Strymon runs full up 96K cabinet IR's and is considerably cheaper.

Wouldn't discount the new Quilter DI either. I'm enjoying the extra capability of the Strymon and wouldn't change a thing, but the last time I plugged the direct out from my Quilter 201 into the same FRFR speaker I'm using with the Iridium, I was really surprised how good it sounds.

Guitar electronics are getting interesting.

User Info Menu

So this is working for you without power cab emulation? I ask because I already have a cab m which is cool, I guess. And I generally prefer how two notes handles ir's rather than the pile of presets you get from celestion or ownhammer, but that's me.

Quote Originally Posted by feet
    So this is working for you without power cab emulation? I ask because I already have a cab m which is cool, I guess. And I generally prefer how two notes handles ir's rather than the pile of presets you get from celestion or ownhammer, but that's me.
    Not sure what you mean by 'power cab emulation'? Iridium does 3 amp models (Deluxe Rvb, Vox30, Marshall) only but allows Cab IR's to be downloaded to 3 slots per amp.

I've only looked at the Ownhammer stuff so far. They do have quite a lot of presets to choose from for each cabinet. Still wading through some of that. I'm pretty sure I'll settle on a few choices for the Deluxe Reverb and Vox amp models and call it a day at some point. The Ownhammer $29 collection includes a lot of choices. Not sure what the Two Notes cab IR's offer for their additional cost?