The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Posts 76 to 82 of 82

User Info Menu

Hey all, I finally picked up a Strymon Iridium, found one used at a good price, so I could sell if i need to... after a week of messing with it, I'd say I'm pretty happy, it feels much better than any other modelers/software I've used before. the Vox setting is making me want a real vox, love it... It's less fizzy than many others, it sounds great for jazz to my ears, because I think the rolled off highs accentuate the best part of the tones available. Pretty happy so far, doesn't sound as good as my vintage Princeton Reverb, when it's mic'd, but it sounds very good to me... here is a quick little improv I recorded because I was enjoying the tone... the best part about it is that it feels really good to play.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Cool stuff. Don't forget that it's easy to download additional speaker IR's. They do make a notable difference in the final sound. That and are just fun to mess around with.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Spook410
    Cool stuff. Don't forget that it's easy to download additional speaker IR's. They do make a notable difference in the final sound. That and are just fun to mess around with.
    Yeah, I haven't gotten into that much... I only have a Princeton for amps, which is normally all I need... but this has been fun to play with... I'm not 100% sure I'll keep it or not, because I am in a financial low point, but it's been fun to play so far. I'll download some IRs this week... not totally sure which ones it has now

User Info Menu

...who could ask for anything more.

User Info Menu

Has anyone experience with the Walrus ACS1? It should be very identical to the iridium. I do prefer the Walrus, cause it needs 300mA and the Iridium 500mA (I only have one 300mA free on my pedal power station).
    I play acoustic mostly on acoustic amps (LR Baggs Synapse or Schertler David) and my Eastman AR605CED do not sound in this speakers like she does over an amp. She has too much bass and less highs, and the mids also missing. I don"t want to change the EQ everytime I change the guitar on live gigs.
    I think with such a pedal I can modify the sound better for the speakers (which both have a high tweeter).
    Has anyone this pedal and how do it works with archtops?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by player100
    Has anyone experience with the Walrus ACS1? It should be very identical to the iridium. I do prefer the Walrus, cause it needs 300mA and the Iridium 500mA (I only have one 300mA free on my pedal power station).
    I play acoustic mostly on acoustic amps (LR Baggs Synapse or Schertler David) and my Eastman AR605CED do not sound in this speakers like she does over an amp. She has too much bass and less highs, and the mids also missing. I don"t want to change the EQ everytime I change the guitar on live gigs.
    I think with such a pedal I can modify the sound better for the speakers (which both have a high tweeter).
    Has anyone this pedal and how do it works with archtops?

Quote Originally Posted by player100
    ..acoustic mostly on acoustic amps (LR Baggs Synapse or Schertler David) and my Eastman AR605CED ..
    No experience with the Walrus. But I have used an Iridium for a long time.

My electric archtops sound better through a regular amp as well. Something large, heavy, and full of tubes usually. However, since I also play acoustic a lot and need to support saxophone and voice, a guitar amp is replaced by a Full Range Flat Response (FRFR) speaker or equivalent. An FRFR brings out all the limitations of a regular guitar pickup like a humbucker and just doesn't sound that great plugged straight in. The Iridium is a reasonable solution.

I use an Acus 400 mostly but sometimes a pair of Schertler Jam 150 extension's and sometimes a 2000W Yamaha PA speaker. Running an electric archtop into one of these using the Strymon Iridium does not sound 'the same' or, to me, as good. It's hard to get around the physics of how guitars, amps, and speaker cabinets work in small spaces and it's hard to beat a good open back speaker combo amp. However, the Iridium/FRFR does sound pretty good, certainly good enough, and pretty much fixes the problem of having one amplification system for both acoustic and electric. You will likely find yourself doing lots of tweaking and you have to manage your expectations, but I've gone over to using the Iridium every day and I do like it.