Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Posts 101 to 150 of 693

User Info Menu

Hi Squint:

Apologies for my lack of knowledge or poor memory, take your pick. Is Bill Nelson the guitarist for the Billy Vaughn Orchestra? (It's a serious question, I don't know who Bill Nelson is.)

Thanks,
    RandyC

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

No worries Randy! Bill had a band in the 70's called Be Bop Deluxe.
    He has since played with Yukihiro Takahashi, YMO and even some of the guys from the group Japan in a band called Rain Tree Crow among many others. I last saw him with Harold Budd, John Foxx, Jah Wobble, Theo Travis, and others at a concert in Brighton UK a few years ago. But his musical output is simply stunning... several CDs a year.

These newest titles in his solo catalogue have quite a bit of Jazz influence in them and are a blast to listen to (and play along with)!
    www.soundclick.com/thecoastalcowboys

"If you don't know what it is, then it must be JAZZ!" --The Legend of 1900

User Info Menu

Many thanks. "Be Bop Deluxe" triggered a synaptical connection.

Our Mister Kawashima puts together some marvelous material for our enjoyment - he has definitely made me aware of exciting jazz available in Japan. Obviously you knew this already

Cheers,
    Randy

User Info Menu

The Les Paul influence (or most probably the homage to him) is apparent and very interesting. Oddly, what struck me during the first six or eight bars was the resemblance to "Allman Brothers" tunes that I recall. In my youth, I would not have made that connection - between ABB and LP, LOL !

Thanks to you (and to Bill of course) for revealing some of the spider webs that tie all of us guitarists together.

(BTW, I noticed from your profile that you're a Chet Baker fan - me too!)

See?! I KNEW you'd recognize the language!! Wait till you come across some of the Duane Eddy references in some of his other stuff. His catalogue is so immense, though, it might take you a few years to get through, but it is not only interesting, it's that Bill's music is just so well done! And he does it all by himself... amazing...

User Info Menu

I was a big Bebop Deluxe fan back in the 80s. I'll have to look up his newer stuff.

You will not be disappointed, Archie.

User Info Menu

LOVELY MUSIC ! It's not often that we hear Jim Hall and Kenny Burrell on the same tune (not to mention all of the other fine musicians on that cut).

Thank you, Mister Kawashima, for your always interesting posts.
    RandyC

User Info Menu

i have a ginbson marradur? marauder? i dont know.... one of those
    but would that be good for jazz, its solid body and has two humbuckers...

User Info Menu

I haven't listened to Cal Tjader in thirty years - good pick, Kawa ! There was another fine vibraphonist from San Francisco, from that same era. I think his name was Ahmad Jamal (although I may have him confused with a foodtball player - wide receiver for the Pittsburgh Steelers, LOL).

P.S. KHAN Jamal was the vibe players name, according to web data, and he actually had a top forty hit in the sixties clled "Wachiwara", I remember it well - cool song ! The wide receiver's name was Ahmad Rachad, FWIW
    Last edited by randyc; 04-02-2010 at 02:58 PM. Reason: add PS

User Info Menu

Kawa, thank you very much, "Poinciana" is one of my favorite tunes - one that I still play solo. It's a tune that is perfect for the fingers, rather than pick. (Also, I'd not heard Jamal on piano before - always on vibraphone.)

Jamal owned a jazz club in San Francisco at one time (the "Blackhawk" I think). Many fine jazz musicians used to play there in the late fifties and early sixties. I wish that I'd visted the club when I lived there.

RandyC

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by randyc View Post
    Kawa, thank you very much, "Poinciana" is one of my favorite tunes - one that I still play solo. It's a tune that is perfect for the fingers, rather than pick. (Also, I'd not heard Jamal on piano before - always on vibraphone.)

Jamal owned a jazz club in San Francisco at one time (the "Blackhawk" I think). Many fine jazz musicians used to play there in the late fifties and early sixties. I wish that I'd visted the club when I lived there.

RandyC
    So great !!! randyc,I like too this tune and mood,a couple years ago we plays this song with New Four Freshemen for our guest at the concert.

User Info Menu

Kawa,

We hope that you continue to post your orchestra website each time that it is updated. Here in the U.S. we don't have many large jazz bands like yours. (Sadly, we don't have many people that love jazz.)

It's good to know that your orchestra attracts excellent performers and enthusiastic audiences.

Thanks for your many contributions, always interesting !
    RandyC

User Info Menu

They sound very good; a traditional quartet playing traditional instruments of the 1940 - 1960 era with nice vocal harmonies. I'm sure that they appreciated your guitar, you have GOOD equipment ! I wish that I could have been there for your party, ha-ha !

Do you remember the vocal jazz group "Lambert, Hendricks and Ross" ? I always enjoyed their vocals.

User Info Menu

Kawa, have a great time on your fishing trips !

User Info Menu

Kawa, have a great time on your fishing trips !
    Cold day and cloudy ! ,continue stay my home waiting while.
    Thank You randyc,I'm fishing on the Web in recently someones big hit and some conditions of the river.
    See you.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Last edited by kawa; 06-30-2010 at 12:09 AM.

User Info Menu

Me too, I liked everything on the Verve label !! I started buying Verve LPs in 1965 (Wes Montomery was the first one I bought, I think). I have several Jimmy Smith CDs but only one or two tunes with Burrell on them. They were a very good pair.

cheers,
    Randy

User Info Menu

RandyC
    Ahmad Jamal is one of my favorite piano players. I especially like "Digital Works" which contains some extraordinary musicianship. However, I cannot find anything with him on vibes (he toured and recorded extensively with Gary Burton). Are vibes something he only did at his club?

User Info Menu

That's an interesting question. I'd never heard him play the piano until recent years - always the vibraphone. Since I lived there, perhaps the jazz stations only played his club recordings.

The real reason is probably simpler: the vibraphone fell out of favor in the mid-fifties. Too heavy and complicated to travel well (I think the thing had to be completely disassembled to transport). All of those parts - including a motor ! Plus nobody seemed that interested after Lionel Hampton did it all.

Still, see if you can find the Jamal recording of "Wachiwara", it's got to be on the internet. You'll hear a very good tune and some nice vibe playing!

User Info Menu

Kawa,

Good information, thank you. You have a LOT of jazz knowledge ! I'd always thought that the name "Wachi Wara" signified African (as in Afro-Cuban jazz) roots - never thought of the Spanish pronounciation "Guachi Guara".

Randy C.

User Info Menu

thank you randyc, I added a little more.
    See you.

User Info Menu

We're from the same place. I used to ride my motorcycle from Mountain View over Highway 9 to Santa Cruz and then down Highway 1 to Capitola to hear the Celtic music on Sunday afternoons ("Finnegan's Wake" was the name of the bar, IIRC). Moved to Eureka when I retired in 2001.

PS: last time I listened to jazz on a wharf was in Monterey at one of the last performances of "Fourplay" - special performance, 500 seats only. During the opening number, Ritenour suddenly put down his L-5 and walked off the temporary stage... James, East and Mason kept on cooking and about ten minutes later, Ritenour came back. When the tune was over, he walked to the microphone and explained to us that a seagull had excreted on his (mostly) bald head. He had to run back to his room to wash the remaining hair. What an experience !!!
    Last edited by randyc; 04-10-2010 at 09:58 PM. Reason: add PS

User Info Menu

Yasuko has nice scores, Duke's songs by Basie style arrange.
    and she said us…
    the arranger is a young american and big band lover, he has relations with some amature big band in LA. The menbers age is almost equal to his father , every weekend they playing with fun.
    Beach, Sunset,…

Thank you randyc.

P.S. Guest Time Program : Fry Me To The Moon(same as youtube), Satin Doll, I'm Begining Too See The Light, Do Nothin' Till You Here From Me, Perdido.
    Last edited by kawa; 04-11-2010 at 01:13 PM.

User Info Menu

I'd forgotten that album - it was very good. I was looking at the cover and wondering if he was playing ES-175 or L-4CES ... do you know which guitar, Kawa? (I've not ever heard of him playing an L-4.)

thanks,
    randyc

User Info Menu

I'd forgotten that album - it was very good. I was looking at the cover and wondering if he was playing ES-175 or L-4CES ... do you know which guitar, Kawa? (I've not ever heard of him playing an L-4.)

thanks,
    randyc
    "175DN-P90"
    Famouse Best Live Album is, probably even in the future.

See you,randyc from kawa.

P.S. also with 175N-P90 photos shown.
    Thank you randyc.
    Last edited by kawa; 04-11-2010 at 10:55 PM.

User Info Menu

Thank YOU Kawa !

User Info Menu

Yes, I see the ES-175 clearly now, many thanks ! My personal preference has always been for natural finish guitars - the sunburst finish was designed to hide tears in the routing for binding on the edges of the guitar. Can't hide poor workmanship with a natural finish

User Info Menu

from "The Gibson ES175 its History and Players" By Adrian Ingram.

ES-175 194

ES-175D 840

ES-175DN 26

Thank you randyc, aged natural finish is Very Tasty Looks and Sounds also.
    Last edited by kawa; 04-12-2010 at 01:19 AM.

User Info Menu

Kawa, you and I may be the only members of the forum that have ever heard Acker Bilk, ha-ha ! I used to have the album "Mister Acker Bilk".

User Info Menu

He playing the dixiie in usually, Eu peopule like the dixie.
    I felt the relation from the polka.
    I saw him in dusseldorf at the "Dr.Jazz"
    This style

our band practice in now this
    (Please listen the relationals, Thank you.)
    Last edited by kawa; 06-30-2010 at 12:18 AM.

User Info Menu

Wow, Acker Bilk still looks the same as he did in 1964 - a little bit less hair ! So your band does Dixieland music too - here in Eureka, we have a Dixieland Jazz Festival every Spring. I don't know much about that kind of music so I'm not sure if the artists that perform here are good or not good.

Thanks,
    Randy

User Info Menu

Wow, Acker Bilk still looks the same as he did in 1964 - a little bit less hair ! So your band does Dixieland music too - here in Eureka, we have a Dixieland Jazz Festival every Spring. I don't know much about that kind of music so I'm not sure if the artists that perform here are good or not good.

Thanks,
    Randy
    The band works need any kind of music for any scenes and any events.
    Dixie is the one of basicaly play style for jazzsence, very important.
    We are assisting the restruction for New Orleans through the Japan Louis Armstrong Association by a fund raising campaign at every events also big concert, money and instulments.
    BTW, please join in some (senior) nice band, you can enjoy the music play and helpful to the band by youre technology.

See you.
    Last edited by kawa; 04-13-2010 at 10:31 PM.

User Info Menu

I've been on a diet since then-That suit is still in the wardrobe to remind me that chocolate is the root of all evil! Dixie is still huge over here- Sunday lunch standard fare in the hotels. Such fun to play.

User Info Menu

I don't have a banjo then I thought to use a rechargeable battery amp and using now on the parede.

Sometime I use the Gibson Nighthawk SP3 with compact multi effector for close to banjo tone.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kawa View Post
    I don't have a banjo then I thought to use a rechargeable battery amp and using now on the parede.

Sometime I use the Gibson Nighthawk SP3 with compact multi effector for close to banjo tone.
    Kawa:

Do you "slacken" the strings or do you use standard guitar tuning?

Thanks,
    Randy

User Info Menu

please chek the relationals, thank you.
    This is good !!!
    Last edited by kawa; 06-30-2010 at 12:19 AM.

User Info Menu

You are a smart man, Kawa, and a very well-informed one. Thank you again for all of the information. The banjo effect was very interesting ! Somehow I can't imagine you playing that "Nighthawk" guitar - it's a lot easier to "see" you with the ES-175. No offense intended, of course.

Randy

User Info Menu

Thank you randyc, Yes I'm using the 175 on Monday and Thursday in a week for practice day of our bigband,almost use the neck pup(V6~8), need the crisp part or tune by mix(V:8/8)
    I choice the Nighthawk only for the special events and it's practice days.
    The music scene need often the thin tones, for an example some kind of music or part of Arpeggio, in shurly match the Folk Guitar,etc etc, the stage work is very busy,then I decide for the days program.
    (I didn't like the solid guitar but now ...even having multi-effectors)
    See you.
    Last edited by kawa; 11-04-2013 at 05:57 PM.

User Info Menu

randyc ! , I have a question, what dose it call that kind of the genre of music, "Stranger on the shore" etc.
    In Japan, called in before "Mood Music", recently called "Easy Listening Music".
    Thanks.
    P.S. I know "Genre" has many vew poins then difficult to divided in clearly, I hope in generally in the US.
    I checked the Amazon, I didn't follow.
    Last edited by kawa; 04-14-2010 at 11:16 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kawa View Post
    randyc ! , I have a question, what dose it call that kind of the genre of music, "Stranger on the shore" etc.
    In Japan, called in before "Mood Music", recently called "Easy Listening Music".
    Thanks.
    P.S. I know "Genre" has many vew poins then difficult to divided in clearly, I hope in generally in the US.
    I checked the Amazon, I didn't follow.
    Kawa, we would call that type of music the same as you do in Japan - both descriptions are good ones.

Have you caught any fish yet?

Cheers,
    Randy

User Info Menu

That's a GOOD size fish - nice music too ! We have a lot of otter in the rivers where I live, too. The climate is a lot like Japan's climate and we grow the same types of trees, plants and bamboo that is found in Japan. The two most popular trees are Cherry and "Japanese Maple".

Also, my daughter was studying the Japanese language for a while. Now she has a full scholarship in art (fashion design) at a college on the east coast of the U.S. so she dropped her language studies. A very good friend of my wife sent her daughter to Japan as an exchange student for two years (the daughter speaks fluent Japanese).

Cheers,
    Randy

User Info Menu

That's a GOOD size fish - nice music too ! We have a lot of otter in the rivers where I live, too. The climate is a lot like Japan's climate and we grow the same types of trees, plants and bamboo that is found in Japan. The two most popular trees are Cherry and "Japanese Maple".

Also, my daughter was studying the Japanese language for a while. Now she has a full scholarship in art (fashion design) at a college on the east coast of the U.S. so she dropped her language studies. A very good friend of my wife sent her daughter to Japan as an exchange student for two years (the daughter speaks fluent Japanese).

Cheers,
    Randy
    We had a Japanese exchange student for about 7 months a few years back. Helped me some with my poor Japanese I have gotten mostly from doing martial arts over the years. Her English was much better than my Japanese. Would love to travel there at some point in the future.

User Info Menu

I didn't have much of an opportunity for sightseeing in Japan during my two brief visits. I DID get addicted to the Pachinko Parlors, LOL. On Fridays, one of our cable TV channels runs Japanese art films all evening - the photography is incredibly beautiful !

User Info Menu

Snowing !!! after 44 years, from last night to this morning, among the cherry blossoms.
    thank you randyc, I imaged your Pachinko playing style with shoulder bag, LOL. Best regads to your doughter.

Thank you derek, you are wellcome also in Japan.

See you my friends.

User Info Menu

We're from the same place. I used to ride my motorcycle from Mountain View over Highway 9 to Santa Cruz and then down Highway 1 to Capitola to hear the Celtic music on Sunday afternoons ("Finnegan's Wake" was the name of the bar, IIRC). Moved to Eureka when I retired in 2001.

PS: last time I listened to jazz on a wharf was in Monterey at one of the last performances of "Fourplay" - special performance, 500 seats only. During the opening number, Ritenour suddenly put down his L-5 and walked off the temporary stage... James, East and Mason kept on cooking and about ten minutes later, Ritenour came back. When the tune was over, he walked to the microphone and explained to us that a seagull had excreted on his (mostly) bald head. He had to run back to his room to wash the remaining hair. What an experience !!!
    Can't be too far away. I lived near the Winchester Mystery House in the late 80s and early 90s while I was starting my second career. I usually took the back road through Loma Prieta (at least until the earthquake broke it in half). I moved back to Vail in 2001 when I retired (started my third career, really).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tonedeaf View Post
    Can't be too far away. I lived near the Winchester Mystery House in the late 80s and early 90s while I was starting my second career. I usually took the back road through Loma Prieta (at least until the earthquake broke it in half). I moved back to Vail in 2001 when I retired (started my third career, really).
    Yep, not far away at all. During the last years before retiring I lived three or four blocks off San Tomas Xpwy/Homestead Road, on Barcells Avenue. So we were about 1.5 miles apart (in a straight line).

That's where we were in 1989 when the cabinets flew open and all of the dishes and canned goods came crashing down as my wife, my daughter and I huddled under the dining room table (Loma Prieta earthquake for non SF bay area residents). The aftershocks were too scary to sleep in the house so we slept in the station wagon for two nights ...

Small world, tonedeaf !

I'd bet that Kawa has been through more than a few earthquakes, too !

User Info Menu

Hi Kawa, your mention of Bill Evans reminded me: my wife was feeling good yesterday. She went to the local library and brought home a DVD called "Jazz Shots From the East Coast". Bill Evans Trio, Oscar Peterson Trio, Jimmy Smith Trio, Duke Ellington, Ahmad Jamal Trio and on and on ...

Many of the scenes were in black and white - very little modern color video. The sound wasn't high quality either but the enthusiasm and ability was incredible.

One of the scenes was so intimate that the band was completely surrounded by the audience. A spectator was actually seated at the end of the piano (had his drink and ashtray on top of the piano); he was nodding in time while he smoked his cigar and tapped ashes into the ashtray.

Wife says that there is a companion video "Jazz Shots From the West Coast". She didn't see who was on it but we'll get it from the library soon - I'm sure that it will be good!

Cheers !

User Info Menu

Great !!! , you are lucky man, my wifes not so.
    Very nice couple, the happiness is 10 times.
    Thanks randyc, see you.