The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 29

User Info Menu

The Pedal Steel Guitar's Midlife Renaissance : NPR

>>>An often misunderstood mechanical artifact from another time, the pedal steel remains odd in nearly every way. Its high lonesome moan can float over, or inside, pretty much anything; it can bend notes and blend chords in ways no other analog instrument can; and it sounds like nothing else — even the pedal-less steel guitar, for which it's frequently confused.<<<<

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Always been a big fan of pedal steel.

User Info Menu

I like the pedal steel in this cover of "Ode to Billie Joe" by Swamp Ash. (Whole band sounds good---nice groove.)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    Always been a big fan of pedal steel.

I'm pretty sure Jim's a member here.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    I'm pretty sure Jim's a member here.
    He definitely is. Hope he posts on this thread!

User Info Menu

I love steel guitar, such a lush sounding instrument. This version of Lush Life is beautiful -

User Info Menu

"put'em together, and boy you've got the very best!"

speedy west and jimmy bryant- flyin high- indeed

cheers

User Info Menu

Me too! I really like the work Greg Leisz does with Bill Frisell and Jackson Browne. Here he is tracking something else...

User Info Menu

love leisz! phenomenal player...a longtime fave

but sometimes its not even about chops, just pure bluesy soul

witness mr chuck berry

cheers......

User Info Menu

Wow, I'd never seen that Chuck Berry video before. Very nice and soulful. Last thing I hear before going to bed...zzz

User Info Menu

Frankly, ever since hearing Jimmie Rivers - Brisbane Bop, with Vance Terry, I've despaired of finding anything as good. If you haven't heard it, go find it and listen - it's on youtube.

User Info Menu

More great steel playing from Buddy Emmons
    he's one of a kind!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by entresz
    More great steel playing from Buddy Emmons
    he's one of a kind!
    Great video!
    I've seen this before, thanks for posting.
    Buddy's absolutely smokin and you figure no one can hang after him...and then Bobby Caldwell steps up....no, not the "What You Won't Do For Love" B.C., (who I also dig, tune's been in our setliist for yrs) but the smokin guitar player Bobby Caldwell!
    These cats is jammin!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone
    Frankly, ever since hearing Jimmie Rivers - Brisbane Bop, with Vance Terry, I've despaired of finding anything as good. If you haven't heard it, go find it and listen - it's on youtube.
    yeah man classic recordings...unfortunately very lo-fi...jimmie rivers was jim campilongos mentor..a true unheralded great...and vance terry!.. that brisbane ca 23 club just closed fairly recently!!! it survived decades..quite a joint..specialty was- bison burgers!! hah

rip jimmie rivers!

on gibby- doubleneck

The Endless Potential of the Pedal Steel Guitar-jimmie-r1-jpg

cheers

User Info Menu

Steel guitar was the original electric guitar, and it's use in western swing jazz predates anything Charlie Christian did on electric guitar. Likewise, it is as far into the future as anything else in the guitar family.

User Info Menu

I've been playing pedal steel for 45 years and really enjoyed it but have sold mine and don't expect to get another for the simple fact that, in my area, there's no work.....period. Around here, if you don't play tiki bar or electric blues, you don't play and even though the steel can fit into these genres, there is little interest in bands hiring one. They love to have you sit in, but they don't want to pay you. When you've invested $3-4000 in an instrument and another $1000 in an amp, you can't afford to play for free unless you're a retired hobbyist. I've been luck to work theater productions that require pedal steel and that pays fairly well and you get to play with good musicians - it comes around rarely though. We do have a local steel guitar club that meets once a month but we rarely have over two players and sometimes have to call it off due to lack of support. During the season is better - I expect about 6 players this next Monday. About 2 hours north of me there's a LOT of music going on with lots of steel guitar but around here.........nada.

User Info Menu

I’ve loved the instrument since the 60s when I used to put on an old mono album my dad owned called “Kings of the Steel Guitar”. I owned an S10 for a while, but decided I couldn’t split my time between steel and jazz guitar. I sold it. I still miss it. Maybe in a few years when I retire. In the meantime I’ll toy around with my ‘59 National lap steel.

User Info Menu

let's not forget Pete Drake
    eat your heart out Frampton.....
    are those identical twins on piano and guitar?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo
    Steel guitar was the original electric guitar, and it's use in western swing jazz predates anything Charlie Christian did on electric guitar. Likewise, it is as far into the future as anything else in the guitar family.

Me likey. Fine drumming too

Getting up to stuff at Tiny Desk

User Info Menu

oh, and Alvino Rey w/ Stringy....

User Info Menu

Curly Chalker....

User Info Menu

Greig Leisz Solo at 1:03:00

User Info Menu

Please forgive the self-promotion, but here are a couple of tunes featuring the great B. J. Cole on pedal steel:

User Info Menu

"When I got into Ornette Coleman, most of the musicians I knew in Houston didn't want to play with me anymore because it was like I was out-of-tune or something.”