Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 45 of 45

User Info Menu

not this one. Apologies to anyone who is a fan and certainly to whoever takes the bait. There's no accounting for taste.1980 Gibson Byrdland Greenburst > Guitars Electric Semi-Hollow Body | Southside Guitars

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FourOnSix
    not this one. Apologies to anyone who is a fan and certainly to whoever takes the bait. There's no accounting for taste.1980 Gibson Byrdland Greenburst > Guitars Electric Semi-Hollow Body | Southside Guitars
    Looks like an old piece of dog turd our dog would leave for us in the backyard!

User Info Menu

"Greenburst" is a new one on me. Not my color.

User Info Menu

That looks like a really tough sell at that price.

User Info Menu

watermelon burst?

User Info Menu

Needs a refin....

User Info Menu

Wow, Gibson's horrible archtop color ideas go back further than I thought.

Quote Originally Posted by ThatRhythmMan
    That looks like a really tough sell at that price.
    Or at any price.

User Info Menu

I would only buy it if they threw in an Fender Antigua something. Actually not.

User Info Menu

I'm mostly color blind, and my playing already induces nausea, so this could work for me.

Except for the price and the awkward pickup location...

User Info Menu

this is a pic of -al hurricane..the guy who customed ordered that byrdland guitar for sale ^... he was in new mexico!

dude liked green guitars!

cheers
    Last edited by neatomic; 01-09-2020 at 05:52 PM.

User Info Menu

Oooh that's really quite awful. I wasn't expecting that.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FourOnSix

Looks like a Halloween Byrdland! (How revolting...)

User Info Menu

Move the decimal place two places to the left on the price, and I might start considering it. I could part it out for a profit. But at that price, it's going to collect dust in the store for a long time.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lammie200
    I would only buy it if they threw in an Fender Antigua something. Actually not.
    Lol, glad to know I'm not the only one who thinks Antigua looks cool. Especially on a Jag or JM.

User Info Menu

Nah .. Just needs a sexy redhead lead singer (male or female) and an Irish themed band!

User Info Menu

Aw, somebody will think, "my sunburst."

User Info Menu

Poor little guy. It's like the Charlie Brown Christmas tree.

User Info Menu

Thats the problem with getting something made for yourself. Especially when "yourself" has that kind of taste in guitar colors. When its that bad, you cant be serious about wanting to sell it. Especially at that price. Unless Kermit hit the lottery..
    JD

User Info Menu

Jeez, Louise! Really? Someone would actually pay extra for this? Looks more like Puke Green. Oh well, takes all kinds.

User Info Menu

Um . . . I kinda like it

Good think I don't have a big wallet !!!

User Info Menu

Atrocious.

User Info Menu

It is shocking. I can easily accept a show when guitarist plays on a full green archtop say like rockabilly, in green shoes, but this poor instrument is really a mistake. The green and this yellowish wood color together... Looks like as a victim of a graffiti team with sprays

User Info Menu

One of the rare cases where a refinish will improve the resale value.

User Info Menu

It ain't easy being green Sorry, couldn't resist!

Not my cuppa tea, nor is any Byrd post '75 or so. After that, Gibson did away with the narrow nut, which (for me) is one of the main reasons to get a Byrd. I happen to like the short scale, which is the other reason :-) The difference at the nut is only something like 1/16" but you CAN feel it, which is somewhat amazing. Consider, too, that you are probably capable of distinguishing .009 from 0.010 and 0.011 strings by feel...

The price is WAY high, even if you consider this piece to be "celebrity owned." This dealer also has a black-finish 1970 Byrd for $12,500, which is astounding when one considers that black finish Gibsons are the ones with knots in the wood... however already-sold Byrds from this same dealer seem to indicate that they are willing to come off their high asking prices to more realistic ones when cash is on the table. Still, a pro who asks way over market in hopes of taking advantage of an uneducated buyer is a warning flag for me.
    Last edited by starjasmine; 01-09-2020 at 01:46 PM.

User Info Menu

My Byrdland is '74, it has standard nut. Still short scale of course. I think Byrdlands only had narrow nut when Gibson was making every guitar with narrow nuts during some periods in the 60's,

User Info Menu

Mine is '74 or '75, with the narrow nut. I thought narrow nut was standard on Byrds into the mid 70s. Maybe it was an option available by request, like being able to order an LP Deluxe with standard sized humbuckers. After that, though, I don't think you could even get a narrow nut by special order. In around 2003, I did inquire about getting a custom shop Byrd with narrow nut, and I was informed that the CS was no longer making that neck at any price. I'm happy I found the vintage one, actually.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by starjasmine
    Mine is '74 or '75, with the narrow nut. I thought narrow nut was standard on Byrds into the mid 70s. Maybe it was an option available by request, like being able to order an LP Deluxe with standard sized humbuckers. After that, though, I don't think you could even get a narrow nut by special order. In around 2003, I did inquire about getting a custom shop Byrd with narrow nut, and I was informed that the CS was no longer making that neck at any price. I'm happy I found the vintage one, actually.
    Yeah according to wikipedia, you are right it was only some models that got the narrow neck in the 70's:
    "The model was in production from 1955 through early 1969 with the narrow nut width. In 1969, the nut width was changed to the standard 1 11/16", although some 1970s examples were produced with the narrower width."
    Gibson Byrdland - Wikipedia

User Info Menu

A LOT of homes in Hialeah (near Miami) are painted much like that git!

User Info Menu

Well, it certainly is a rare color, but then again, but so was the tobacco sunburst finish on the 70s Les Paul Signature that was my main electric guitar, during my college days in the 80s (I found out several years ago that Gibson only made between 60 and 70 Les Paul Signatures in that color) - but that one looked much better than this Byrdland.

Just because you can do it, doesn't mean that you should.

Ellen

User Info Menu

GNAPPI is right. It is not an uncommon Caribbean color scheme. Hadn't thought about it for a guitar, though.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by starjasmine
    In around 2003, I did inquire about getting a custom shop Byrd with narrow nut, and I was informed that the CS was no longer making that neck at any price. I'm happy I found the vintage one, actually.
    I can tell you absolutely for sure that they made at least one narrow nut archtop in 2003, a presentation grade LeGrand that is absolutely killer.

User Info Menu

I can tell you absolutely for sure that they made at least one narrow nut archtop in 2003, a presentation grade LeGrand that is absolutely killer.
    You mean the 1 5/8" wide nut (aka the "Speed Neck") that Gibson put on almost all of their hollow and semi-hollow guitars from the late 60s til at least the late 70s/early 80s? Well, whatever floats a player's boat I guess. The very same Les Paul Signature I mentioned in my previous post had that narrow nut/neck. In retrospect, I hated it. It was way too narrow for my tastes, but during the time I had the guitar (1984-1987) I was a relative noob as a player (despite grandpa [who was a luthier] making me an acoustic guitar when I was 6 years old I didn't really get serious about playing guitar until I was 15 [in early 1979]), so I figured it was the nature of the beast, and I just put up with it. After all, I REALLY wanted a semi-hollow Gibson at the time (I had waffled a few weeks before I bought my Les Paul Signature, on buying a player grade early 60s ES-345 - when I made up my mind to buy it a day later, it had been sold [ugh!!!]), and I really couldn't afford anything else with f-holes, that wasn't a hunk of junk.
    Last edited by EllenGtrGrl; 01-10-2020 at 08:50 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Lol, glad to know I'm not the only one who thinks Antigua looks cool. Especially on a Jag or JM.
    I think Antigua is pretty cool as a finish - on a Fender that is.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FredH
    Jeez, Louise! Really? Someone would actually pay extra for this? Looks more like Puke Green. Oh well, takes all kinds.
    Ummmm, actually Gibson, suffered a bout of madness, and sold Les Pauls with a similar finish in 2006 - they called it Gecko Burst.

User Info Menu

Wonderfully Hideous!
    I'm sending a link to Jens Ritter and predict he'll use it on his next run of instruments!

User Info Menu

Funny but that strip on the pickguard (which appears to be a double-stick tape for maybe holding picks...), almost bothers me more than the greenburst.

User Info Menu

I will assume that this Byrdland comes with a body bag.

I would call that finish "Martian Barf"

User Info Menu

Can't unsee...

User Info Menu

It's worth thinking about what this instrument looks like under the lights.

Or maybe not.

User Info Menu

Beauty is lacquer deep.

User Info Menu

Just wondering, how could the mustache fretboard ending be left, which is the instant differentiator in the middle area of the instrument for Gibsons? (after the lawsuits)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gabor
    Just wondering, how could the mustache fretboard ending be left, which is the instant differentiator in the middle area of the instrument for Gibsons? (after the lawsuits)
    Note that the LeGrand took the place that was filled by the Johnny Smith which also had a flat fretboard end. These guitars were always intended to have mini-humbuckers right at the end of the fretboard. It allowed a clean meeting between the fretboard and the pickup. That is my assumption as to why. Maybe someone else has more information.

User Info Menu

Note that the LeGrand took the place that was filled by the Johnny Smith which also had a flat fretboard end. These guitars were always intended to have mini-humbuckers right at the end of the fretboard. It allowed a clean meeting between the fretboard and the pickup. That is my assumption as to why. Maybe someone else has more information.
    May have some truth, but before I asked, a checked the original OP green one, and that has mustache fretboard end, so that visual element is intentionally removed as customization. Maybe the extra wide binding on fretboard would make a bit weird the little mustache... don't know.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gabor
    May have some truth, but before I asked, a checked the original OP green one, and that has mustache fretboard end, so that visual element is intentionally removed as customization. Maybe the extra wide binding on fretboard would make a bit weird the little mustache... don't know.
    Yes, the original post is of a Byrdland which was styled after the L-5. This is a LeGrand, posted just to demonstrate a much more recent build of a Gibson archtop with a narrow nut. They are entirely different models.