The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 22 of 22
    I don't know much about John Mayer but i came across a video where it appears he is playing a small body Gibson L-5 CES. It's not the solid body that gibson made in the 70's it looks like a regular L-5 but smaller. The video doesn't actually show him playing it but the picture for the video shows it I'll try to attach the screen shot I took. Does anyone know about this?

Small body hollow L-5 CES?-screenshot_2020-01-08-00-43-592-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Nah, it's not a small guitar, it's just that he's as big as his ego.

User Info Menu

It ain't braggin' when you can back it up - and that he has done plenty of times .....

The guitar he's holding in that photo looks like the Gibson Lee Ritenour model L-5. It was a special run of a scaled down L-5 with a floating pickup. Not very many of these around but other manufacturers offer very similar models for a lot less, even if it's a "bootique" brand ;-) Look at Benedetto ....

User Info Menu

Well it is a carved top. Not too many of those around.

User Info Menu

I think it's kind of special edition of the Lee Ritenour L5. Usually they are equipped with just one floating pickup butt this looks like a regular humbucker. Interesting is that i can see 2x vol. & 2x tone controls but only one PU (but maybe the second PU is hidden under his right hand).

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo
    Nah, it's not a small guitar, it's just that he's as big as his ego.

I'd have a big ego too if I slept with Jennifer Aniston, Katy Perry, Taylor Swift and Jessica Simpson. Respect.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Antoniowright
    I don't know much about John Mayer but i came across a video where it appears he is playing a small body Gibson L-5 CES. It's not the solid body that gibson made in the 70's it looks like a regular L-5 but smaller. The video doesn't actually show him playing it but the picture for the video shows it I'll try to attach the screen shot I took. Does anyone know about this?
    L5 Signature or Lee Ritenour. Forum member Danny plays these. I believe they are ~15.5" wide instead of 17", but they have a regular 25.5 scale L5 neck.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    L5 Signature or Lee Ritenour. Forum member Danny plays these. I believe they are ~15.5" wide instead of 17", but they have a regular 25.5 scale L5 neck.
    That must be my cue!

I met Lee in the Gibson booth at the 2003 Winter NAMM, where I got to play both his personal guitar and the prototype for the L-5CES Lee Ritenour series. I loved how they felt, played and sounded. My Gibson guy told me they were also doing a run of set-in single & double pickup models, so I tried to buy all of them. Wasn't successful, but did manage to pick up a few, which is what I've been gigging with ever since.

Some of my usual photos:

Small body hollow L-5 CES?-_d2h7672-jpg

Small body hollow L-5 CES?-danny-birts-bistro-jpg

Small body hollow L-5 CES?-ci2_8779-jpg

Small body hollow L-5 CES?-danny-jpg

Small body hollow L-5 CES?-drw-vince-party-jpg

Danny W.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bebop Tom
    I'd have a big ego too if I slept with Jennifer Aniston, Katy Perry, Taylor Swift and Jessica Simpson. Respect.
    Haha!

Cool thanks for all the info! I never knew about that model.

User Info Menu

Just curious if you have full body photos of the models you own ? I really like the size with these while maintaining the 25.5 scale length.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny W.
    That must be my cue!

I met Lee in the Gibson booth at the 2003 Winter NAMM, where I got to play both his personal guitar and the prototype for the L-5CES Lee Ritenour series. I loved how they felt, played and sounded. My Gibson guy told me they were also doing a run of set-in single & double pickup models, so I tried to buy all of them. Wasn't successful, but did manage to pick up a few, which is what I've been gigging with ever since.

Some of my usual photos:

Small body hollow L-5 CES?-_d2h7672-jpg

Small body hollow L-5 CES?-danny-birts-bistro-jpg

Small body hollow L-5 CES?-ci2_8779-jpg

Small body hollow L-5 CES?-danny-jpg

Small body hollow L-5 CES?-drw-vince-party-jpg

Danny W.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Wildcat
    Just curious if you have full body photos of the models you own ? I really like the size with these while maintaining the 25.5 scale length.
    That's what I like about them too!

Small body hollow L-5 CES?-l-5-sig-collection-1-jpg

Danny W.

User Info Menu

Perfect!
    There is one for sale on Reverb for a while. The owner had work done more to his liking. The finish was done from sunburst to red. One thing he mentions is the tailpiece.
    He maintains with the classic L5 tailpiece the distance from the bridge to the top of the tailpiece is to short. He put on the finger tailpiece similar to yours. He maintains there too much stress excerted from the compressed distance.

That's what I like about them too!

Danny W.

User Info Menu

Danny W.
    What kind of speakers in the background?

User Info Menu

Perfect!
    There is one for sale on Reverb for a while. The owner had work done more to his liking. The finish was done from sunburst to red. One thing he mentions is the tailpiece.
    He maintains with the classic L5 tailpiece the distance from the bridge to the top of the tailpiece is to short. He put on the finger tailpiece similar to yours. He maintains there too much stress excerted from the compressed distance.
    I have no idea what the Reverb seller is talking about--the ones I have with the standard L-5 TP are all just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    What kind of speakers in the background?
    Thiel CS3 I bought in 1984, still sounding great.

Danny W

User Info Menu

Those Thiel phase aligned speakers are truly good.

User Info Menu

Danny W you are my kind of Guitar Player and Collector!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    Those Thiel phase aligned speakers are truly good.
    They truly are!

Quote Originally Posted by jads57
    Danny W you are my kind of Guitar Player and Collector!
    Thank you for the kind words, but recently I've been more of a divester.

Danny W.

User Info Menu

That's okay as well at least I have a great mentor to follow As I get older. 62 years at his stage and close behind you,LOL !

User Info Menu

Perfect!
    I just took a peek, looks really nice if you like wine red! But he's in Nashville, and hesitant to ship.