Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 22 of 22

User Info Menu

Gibson LeGrand-100_0536_copy-jpgGibson LeGrand-100_0533_copy-jpg

I got this one from the famous RhoadsScholar in a complicated trade, as our most of ours over the years. This was NOS from 2001. There was a batch of two LeGrands and a Citation at a Detroit music store. He got the LeGrand last year I believe and relayed it to me.

The finish really is a natural but Gibson calls it Chablis. Heritage calls it rose natural. The LeGrand, as most know, is the "heritage" of the Gibson Johnny Smith. It's 3" deep, 17" across roughly, and light. The nut is 1 11/18" and the scale length is 25.5".

I measured it against my L-5 Premier or Acoustic (whatever it is) from around the same time period of creation. The L-5 is about 1/2" longer.

The bracing is an unequivocal cross type. It is the same as Heritage does on its cross bracing. The LeGrand is tapped tuned. The top is on the thin side, but I've seen thinner. The neck is a solid medium C.

This came with a TOM/bridge base set and a ebony saddle/base set.

I have played it minimally since I got it last night. So far, it's an excellent acoustic instrument that's pretty loud. I haven't plugged it in yet.

This on has a James Hutchins signature on the label. I am aware that some people are not impressed by him or his signature. Those of us who lived at Kalamazoo at the time had respect for him as a decent and gifted luthier. It is likely true that he only supervised the build of this instrument and tuned the body. That's still something.

Gibson Guitar's James "Hutch" Hutchins Leaves Behind a Legacy All His Own

Here are more pics.

Attachment 67830Attachment 67831Gibson LeGrand-100_0532-jpgGibson LeGrand-100_0527-jpgGibson LeGrand-100_0525-jpgGibson LeGrand-100_0519-jpgGibson LeGrand-100_0523-jpgGibson LeGrand-100_0524-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

LeGrand next to L-5. The quality is poor but you can appreciate the size difference and the f holes. Rhoads holding the guitar with a smile.

Gibson LeGrand-legrand1_copy-jpgGibson LeGrand-100_0538_copy-jpg

User Info Menu

Nice score Marty, you did good.

Big

User Info Menu

Happy NGD! That's a beaut from stem to stern!

User Info Menu

Gorgeous!!! Congrats

User Info Menu

I own a Hutch signed Byrdland and Citation, They’re the best Gibsons I own. The wood on yours has that “Hutch cut” look I really like

User Info Menu

What did Bob get in the exchange ? That was supposed to be his retirement guitar. Beautiful LeGrande ! Congrats Mark.

I hope my good buddy Bob is happy.

User Info Menu

Marty it is wonderful and he did not have the guitar long really. I am looking for one of those myself really I did see one on ebay for not a bad price but you got a stunner for sure.

User Info Menu

Really amazing guitar. Congrats!

User Info Menu

congratulations, LeGrands are in a league of their own .......

User Info Menu

MG, What a beautiful guitar. Really nice.
    Enjoy.
    JD

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    What did Bob get in the exchange ? That was supposed to be his retirement guitar. Beautiful LeGrande ! Congrats Mark.

I hope my good buddy Bob is happy.
    Money and another guitar. That's how we roll. Sometimes the guitars go in one direction and sometimes the other. Amps too.

Bob had suggested years ago that we have a "guitar library" so we can check them in and out. Or maybe a guitar co-op.

There's a fair chance the guitar will end up back with him.

User Info Menu

Wow, what a gorgeous Le Grand! Play it in good health.

User Info Menu

Marty,
    Gorgeous guitar in every way. The Legrand is my favorite Gibson Archtop, do enjoy.

User Info Menu

Here's what I sold to get the money for the Legrand. It's also a Hutch creation. There are similarities in the top and back.

Gibson LeGrand-6_zpsteedkquh_37523560051_o-jpgGibson LeGrand-20161212_164910_zpsyxtukjxa_37523556401_o-jpgGibson LeGrand-8_zpsr6ilr8uz_37492324112_o-jpgGibson LeGrand-7_zpsn7jwyrq1_37492324412_o-jpg

User Info Menu

Your Le Grande is indeed grand. The woods are exquisite. Congratulations, and play it in good health!

User Info Menu

Congrats, that is a real beauty! I have an L5 Custom from 2001 that looks exactly like your L5P (except blond). Can you describe any differences in sound and playability between the LeGrand and your L5? Have not yet had a chance to try out a LeGrand. Maybe that's a good thing...

Thanks,

Len

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Len R
    Congrats, that is a real beauty! I have an L5 Custom from 2001 that looks exactly like your L5P (except blond). Can you describe any differences in sound and playability between the LeGrand and your L5? Have not yet had a chance to try out a LeGrand. Maybe that's a good thing...

Thanks,

Len
    Too soon to comment.

One has LaBella 15s and the other Chromes 12s.

I'll need a few months.

User Info Menu

Thanks, I look forward to your impressions!

Len

User Info Menu

Congrats Marty! So was that "sold" within the co-op too, or did it go to someone who had put in a request to buy it in the event you decided to sell it? Just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Grass
    Here's what I sold to get the money for the Legrand. It's also a Hutch creation. There are similarities in the top and back.

Gibson LeGrand-6_zpsteedkquh_37523560051_o-jpgGibson LeGrand-20161212_164910_zpsyxtukjxa_37523556401_o-jpgGibson LeGrand-8_zpsr6ilr8uz_37492324112_o-jpgGibson LeGrand-7_zpsn7jwyrq1_37492324412_o-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Grass
    Money and another guitar. That's how we roll. Sometimes the guitars go in one direction and sometimes the other. Amps too.

Bob had suggested years ago that we have a "guitar library" so we can check them in and out. Or maybe a guitar co-op.

There's a fair chance the guitar will end up back with him.
    Marty, I wonder how many of us read this post and sigh, like a jealous, wishful, envious guy in some setting where a beautiful woman walks into the room hanging on someone else's arm and think, lucky man! But I know and appreciate how much effort you put into finding these hidden treasures.

Very nice. Congratulations. Both of you.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    Congrats Marty! So was that "sold" within the co-op too, or did it go to someone who had put in a request to buy it in the event you decided to sell it? Just curious.
    That went back to the guy I got it from. This is the second time he got it back from me.

It'll maybe come back some day.
    Last edited by Marty Grass; 01-26-2020 at 06:47 PM.