The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 27

User Info Menu

Just a quick clip. I used a bit too much reverb for usual playing, but worked great for this.

I'm very pleased...my microcube always sounded better recorded that it did to me in the room...this lil guy sounds great in the room too. And the backing track is going through it as well.

Let me know what you think.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Pic or it didn't happen.
    Lol

User Info Menu

Sounds really nice. You just recording that direct through your phone's microphone?

User Info Menu

Sounds great, Jeff. I have the first 10c. What's the difference?

User Info Menu

Sounds like a proper amp, Jeff and great playing too!

User Info Menu

That sounds really good, Jeff. The amp model has some amazing depth and detail - I mean that sounds almost exactly like real children.

John

User Info Menu

Thanks for listening!
    So to answer a few questions...

This is recorded with just my phone, no external mic.

This is the THR10ii, non wireless version.

The difference between this and the older model is this is actually 20watts instead of 10, and the amp is a bluetooth ready device. So I can play a backing track right from my phone through the same amp as I'm playing through, with an independent volume control for it.

I think there's also more choices in the models, there's actually an app you can use to have more control over the effects too.

Pretty great practice amp.

The "wireless" models, which cost more, have a rechargeable battery and can be used with a particular wireless system. Pretty cool, but j don't own said wireless system, and probably wouldn't use that capability anyway. As for the rechargeable battery, for my use this amp is going to live in my living room, so I don't need it to be portable--i still have a microcube for that which still can't be beat for portability

User Info Menu

Same here (THR10 II stays in the living room). That clean channel with a little gain and verb is just fat and heavenly. I play iReal pro backing tracks into the amp via Bluetooth on my phone too and the individual volumes for guitar and external source make it the best practice setup I’ve ever used.

Thanks for sharing. Sounds great!

Roli

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Thanks for listening!
    So to answer a few questions...

This is recorded with just my phone, no external mic.

This is the THR10ii, non wireless version.

The difference between this and the older model is this is actually 20watts instead of 10, and the amp is a bluetooth ready device. So I can play a backing track right from my phone through the same amp as I'm playing through, with an independent volume control for it.

I think there's also more choices in the models, there's actually an app you can use to have more control over the effects too.

Pretty great practice amp.

The "wireless" models, which cost more, have a rechargeable battery and can be used with a particular wireless system. Pretty cool, but j don't own said wireless system, and probably wouldn't use that capability anyway. As for the rechargeable battery, for my use this amp is going to live in my living room, so I don't need it to be portable--i still have a microcube for that which still can't be beat for portability
    Can you record USB direct from the amp? If so I'd love to hear a sample. (Great playing BTW)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    ... The amp model has some amazing depth and detail - I mean that sounds almost exactly like real children.
    Is that a modeling feature?

Great playing Jeff...Thanks for making video and posting it.

User Info Menu

Don't worry about the reverb, sounds great.

User Info Menu

Jim, here’s a snippet I just recorded from the usb out of the THR10 II. Straight into GarageBand on my iPad. Backing is iReal Pro.

Roli

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rolijen
    Jim, here’s a snippet I just recorded from the usb out of the THR10 II. Straight into GarageBand on my iPad. Backing is iReal Pro.

Roli

Sounds quite good. And you're swinging nicely.

USB to what? How are you going into the iPad?

User Info Menu

Am I the only one who is sorry for 10C not being introduced in 2nd generation?
    I was always drown to 10C idea. Shame there is not one in 2nd gen.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Sounds quite good. And you're swinging nicely.

USB to what? How are you going into the iPad?
    Thanks! I have an iPad Pro 11”. I use a usb-b to usb-c cable to connect the THR10II direct to the iPad. In GarageBand, I select the stereo input and it works seamlessly with the Yamaha amp.

I assume that it would also work with iPads with lightning port using the Apple Camera kit (or Lightning to USB adapter. Then using a standard usb-a to usb-b cable.

One thing, when I first tried running the amp into the iPad, the signal level was pretty low. But, I found that the app (THR Remote) allows you to set the usb output level. The default was 50 and I have found that 95 to 97 gives fat rich results. When I recorded this clip, the output was at 80 or 90 (I hadn’t found the sweet spot yet). I’ve subsequently settled on 95.

Roli

User Info Menu

Roli

Thanks. Sounds really good. How's the noise level?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Soloway
    Thanks. Sounds really good. How's the noise level?
    It’s very quiet. The is a noise gate with adjustable Threshold and Decay as well. I don’t use a lot of effects or anything else in my signal chain to inject nose so I’m not using the gate.

Optimizing Gain and USB output Im getting very clean signal into my iPad and computer.

User Info Menu

It’s very quiet. The is a noise gate with adjustable Threshold and Decay as well. I don’t use a lot of effects or anything else in my signal chain to inject nose so I’m not using the gate.

Optimizing Gain and USB output Im getting very clean signal into my iPad and computer.
    Thanks. That would make it a really useful tool for recording solo guitar direct. I really miss my old Pod when I;m recording but this seems like an even better solution.

User Info Menu

Thanks! I have an iPad Pro 11”. I use a usb-b to usb-c cable to connect the THR10II direct to the iPad. In GarageBand, I select the stereo input and it works seamlessly with the Yamaha amp.

I assume that it would also work with iPads with lightning port using the Apple Camera kit (or Lightning to USB adapter. Then using a standard usb-a to usb-b cable.

One thing, when I first tried running the amp into the iPad, the signal level was pretty low. But, I found that the app (THR Remote) allows you to set the usb output level. The default was 50 and I have found that 95 to 97 gives fat rich results. When I recorded this clip, the output was at 80 or 90 (I hadn’t found the sweet spot yet). I’ve subsequently settled on 95.

Roli
    Great info. Thank you.

User Info Menu

I guess there is no way to hook up an extension cab to these amps?

User Info Menu

I've been gassing for one of these for a while now, but I don't really "need" it. Sorta the same thing on steroids.

THR Head - Overview - Amps & Accessories - Guitars, Basses & Amps - Musical Instruments - Products - Yamaha - United States

New practice amp - Yamaha THR 10ii-yamaha-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mecena
    Am I the only one who is sorry for 10C not being introduced in 2nd generation?
    I was always drown to 10C idea. Shame there is not one in 2nd gen.
    The new ones have all 3 sets of models (so the cream, green, and black original thr models), but you have to use the phone app to access them.

User Info Menu

I'm going to try and post a few more recordings...with humbuckers, there was a little "crackle" I didn't like when the amp was on a tabletop, but that dissapeared when I put the amp on the floor, and gave a nice bass boost.

Re: speaker out, no, but the thr30 does have a 1/4" line out, so I guess you could go into a pa or powered speaker, but this thing is really made for practice.

In really digging the full range stereo sound, it's a lot like some better bluetooth speakers out there. Really fills a room with sound, not loud (but can get too loud for my living room) but it's a "big" sound, not at all boxy.

User Info Menu

I have a THR 100 single head and the original THR 10.

Both are great tools with a few quirks to deal with (easily enough), but they are completely different beasts. Naming them in a similar way may inspire some to assume they are similar. They are very very different.

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    I've been gassing for one of these for a while now, but I don't really "need" it. Sorta the same thing on steroids.

THR Head - Overview - Amps & Accessories - Guitars, Basses & Amps - Musical Instruments - Products - Yamaha - United States

New practice amp - Yamaha THR 10ii-yamaha-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bezoeker
    I have a THR 100 single head and the original THR 10.

Both are great tools with a few quirks to deal with (easily enough), but they are completely different beasts. Naming them in a similar way may inspire some to assume they are similar. They are very very different.
    Ah, figured that since they are named similarly AND have much of the same cosmetic design features, that they are similar.