Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 35 of 35
  1. #1

    User Info Menu

    I’m really happy with this system. Best amp ever

  2.  

    The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
     
  3. #2

    User Info Menu

    Brilliant, as always, Mark.

  4. #3

    User Info Menu

    Why you have to keep on tempting me, Mark?

  5. #4

    User Info Menu

    Excellent, Mark!

    [So how did you plug two cabs into the Luna? My only design critique of the new RE amps is they only have one speaker out, not two! I know, some -- but not all -- cabs have dual outs so you can chain cabs together, but it would be easier if the amps came standard with two outs, IMO.]

    Marc

  6. #5

    User Info Menu

    The NY8 cabs, like all RE cabs, have dual input/output jacks. I don't know how Mark does it, but it's easy enough to just run another cable to the second cab. Having two speaker outs is nice, but I personally wouldn't reject an amp just because it only has one.

  7. #6

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    The NY8 cabs, like all RE cabs, have dual input/output jacks. I don't know how Mark does it, but it's easy enough to just run another cable to the second cab. Having two speaker outs is nice, but I personally wouldn't reject an amp just because it only has one.
    Cool, thanks!
    [and don't worry - I certainly have not rejected them for that!]

  8. #7

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by marcwhy
    Cool, thanks!
    [and don't worry - I certainly have not rejected them for that!]
    https://www.ebay.com/p/1962774345?ii...UaAnmcEALw_wcB

  9. #8

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    The NY8 cabs, like all RE cabs, have dual input/output jacks. I don't know how Mark does it, but it's easy enough to just run another cable to the second cab. Having two speaker outs is nice, but I personally wouldn't reject an amp just because it only has one.
    I have really old ones from the first crop of rich raezer builds. Single 1/4” jack only b

  10. #9

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by marcwhy
    Excellent, Mark!

    [So how did you plug two cabs into the Luna? My only design critique of the new RE amps is they only have one speaker out, not two! I know, some -- but not all -- cabs have dual outs so you can chain cabs together, but it would be easier if the amps came standard with two outs, IMO.]

    Marc
    splitter cable.

  11. #10

    User Info Menu

    Wow. I have a relatively early Rich-built cab, and have owned another, but I've never seen one of his cabs with just a single 1/4" jack. Learned something today. Rich seemed to have lots of variability in his products, with little documentation. One-man operations often work like that.

  12. #11

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    Wow. I have a relatively early Rich-built cab, and have owned another, but I've never seen one of his cabs with just a single 1/4" jack. Learned something today. Rich seemed to have lots of variability in his products, with little documentation. One-man operations often work like that.
    Yep, I've owned original, Rich-built cabs, too, and they all had a single plug.

  13. #12

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Kleinhaut
    do you know if that dongle can take 1/4 jacks at the output? My cabs only have 1/4"

  14. #13

    User Info Menu

    You can buy or make adapters. I make my own, since it's cheaper and I know what I'm getting, but they're readily available. You can buy adapters that connect two Speakon cables together, and use that to connect a hybrid cable with a Speakon on one end and 1/4" on the other, or you can buy an adapter with Speakon on one end and a 1/4" female jack on the other. I have several types made up, because I have amps that only have 1/4" speaker outputs, amps with only Speakon output, and cabs with either or both types. This would seem to be the easiest solution:

    Sorry! Something went wrong!

    Sorry! Something went wrong!

    or just
    Sorry! Something went wrong!

    Also available from ebay et al.

    Edit: I looked at the original cable wrong. It has female ends, not male. So you need a male Speakon to male 1/4" adapter, or a female 1/4" adapter with a regular 1/4" plug at both ends, or other adapters. In any case, they're available. If you put "speakon to 1/4" adapter" into the search block on any site or search engine, you'll find lots of options.
    Last edited by sgosnell; 01-03-2020 at 11:44 AM.

  15. #14

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    Why you have to keep on tempting me, Mark?
    you know you want it, soooo? Give them a jingle (tell em I sent you).

  16. #15

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell

    Edit: I looked at the original cable wrong. It has female ends, not male. So you need a male Speakon to male 1/4" adapter, or a female 1/4" adapter with a regular 1/4" plug at both ends, or other adapters. In any case, they're available. If you put "speakon to 1/4" adapter" into the search block on any site or search engine, you'll find lots of options.
    I don't want a dongle with 10' appendages on it. I already have 8-10 1/4 speaker cables of various lengths. I just want a small dongle or adapter that goes from male speakon to dual 1/4 female. I don't need it to replace my 3', 6' and 10' speaker cables.

  17. #16

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    do you know if that dongle can take 1/4 jacks at the output? My cabs only have 1/4"
    You can buy 4-pole (or even 8-pole) speakON connector and connect 2 speaker cables with 1/4” jacks on the speaker end, instead of 2 speakOn’s.

  18. #17

    User Info Menu

    i don't want to make my own cables.

  19. #18

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    i don't want to make my own cables.
    hahah. I understand.
    I believe any local or internet-based cable maker can do this for cheap.
    Thought that would be a more graceful solution, since SpeakOn to 1/4” adaptors add to the bulk of the already cumbersome breakout cable.

  20. #19

    User Info Menu

    There was one link for a solid one-piece adapter that accepts 1/4" plugs. You would have to use a regular cable with it. There are others that are very short if you look. Most of the ones in the links are ~6 inches or so in length. Or you can just not use anything, it's up to you.

  21. #20

    User Info Menu

    just remember ...luna specs are

    Output Section: Output power 1kHz, 1% distortion, 210 Watts @ 8 ohms.
    Minimum impedance 3 ohms.


    if using 2 cabs make sure the speakers in each cab are 8 ohm or greater...unless doing some series/parallel wiring trickery...

    if you are all speakon connected..then this male to dual female connector is all you'd need..if u have the needed speakon cables already...less than 10$ at amazon





    cheers

  22. #21

    User Info Menu

    ps -if you wanna run single speakon male to 2 female 1/4...looks like u'd need 2 adaptors...less than 20$..and u could gaffer tape them together to avoid any problems

    first


    into



    cheers
    Last edited by neatomic; 01-03-2020 at 09:14 PM.

  23. #22

    User Info Menu

    I know we've (sort of) derailed the discussion with talk about hooking up cabs (for the Luna) ... however ..

    I've been buying cables recently from Rattlesnake Cables in Montana; the owner - Hank - is a good guy, and pretty attentive to players' needs. I posed him this question, and here's his reply:

    "I'm not a fan of Y-Cables.. since they are very prone to failing. And when it comes to power, even more of an issue.

    We might have a solution for you though.. our Mono to Dual Mono splitter. You could run a Speaker Cable from the amp to 1/4" to the splitter. That splitter splits 2 1/4" outputs. You could run 2 1/4" speaker cables from there into the cabs. I'm assuming you have the Ohm loads all worked out.

    The benefits
    - The splitter will be a solid solution, where a Y-Cable will have a high probability of failing over time
    - Flexible. With a junction option, you can swap out cables depending on your needs. Long SpeakOn to 1/4", or longer 1/4" to 1/4" speaker cables depending on the situation.

    Splitter

    Our Mono to Dual Mono Splitter has 20AWG wire.. not preferred for this application. I can wire it up with some 14AWG wire, and I would feel good about that.
    Let me know what you think."





  24. #23

    User Info Menu

    casting no aspersions on our friend from montana, but i have y cables and trs/ts studio y's that have been running on daily use for almost 3 decades!! no problemo...a cable is a cable...whether split or otherwise..i understand the function of a box splitter...but for the cost of one, you could get 5 y cables as backup!!!


    reminds me of old rickenbacker stereo guitars..you could buy a stereo y cable or this little hardwired splitter box from ric called a ric o sound...for 5X the money..both have an equal chance when it comes to longevity..and prob easier to resolder a cable than to open a box and resolder...(for some)

    to each his own

    cheers

    ps- also for live gigging use, i'd think it far easier to carry a few inches of extra cable than a splitter box

  25. #24

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by marcwhy
    I know we've (sort of) derailed the discussion with talk about hooking up cabs (for the Luna) ... however
    actually, this is all quite detailed fri the real point of my post which is how great the amp actually sounds I though the band was pretty good too.

  26. #25

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Kleinhaut
    actually, this is all quite detailed fri the real point of my post which is how great the amp actually sounds I though the band was pretty good too.
    haha..gettin hijacked comes with the turf!!

    u'r playing's always good!..

    cheers

  27. #26

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    haha..gettin hijacked comes with the turf!!

    u'r playing's always good!..

    cheers
    . Haha, take me to your leader earthlings

  28. #27

    User Info Menu

    The design of Luna looks pretty similar to an Acoustic Image Clarus. My Clarus 2R has a few more bells and whistles, but I don’t really need all of them. A simpler amp with one really good reverb sounds like a good way to go. Having said that, I really love the warm sound of my Clarus. How does the sound of the Luna compare to a Clarus?
    Keith

  29. #28

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by floatingpickup
    The design of Luna looks pretty similar to an Acoustic Image Clarus. My Clarus 2R has a few more bells and whistles, but I don’t really need all of them. A simpler amp with one really good reverb sounds like a good way to go. Having said that, I really love the warm sound of my Clarus. How does the sound of the Luna compare to a Clarus?
    Keith
    funny you should ask


  30. #29

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Kleinhaut
    actually, this is all quite detailed fri the real point of my post which is how great the amp actually sounds I though the band was pretty good too.
    Hey, c'mon, Mark -- we established early on that you and the band sound awesome! Now we have to discuss gear to understand how you sound that good!





    Marc

  31. #30

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Kleinhaut
    funny you should ask
    Thanks! Excellent comparison. They all sound good but with very subtle differences. I think the Luna and toneblock both sound a little brighter than the Clarus. I’ll probably just stick with my Clarus, because it really seems to work for me.
    Keith

  32. #31

    User Info Menu

    Mark Enjoyed the band. Your tone and musical talent/skills have been great for a long while so no surprises here. Also thanks for turning me on to Davis Whitfield.

  33. #32

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by rob taft
    Mark Enjoyed the band. Your tone and musical talent/skills have been great for a long while so no surprises here. Also thanks for turning me on to Davis Whitfield.
    Davis is Mark Whitfield’s son. Yeah, no pressure

  34. #33

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by floatingpickup
    Thanks! Excellent comparison. They all sound good but with very subtle differences. I think the Luna and toneblock both sound a little brighter than the Clarus. I’ll probably just stick with my Clarus, because it really seems to work for me.
    Keith
    Clarus is awesome and I didn’t expect it o get bumped from the #1 spot. For some gigs (quieter ones) I’ll probably still opt for the Clarus.

  35. #34

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Kleinhaut
    Davis is Mark Whitfield’s son. Yeah, no pressure
    I wondered if that was the case. It looks like in this instance the apple never left the tree.

  36. #35

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by rob taft
    I wondered if that was the case. It looks like in this instance the apple never left the tree.
    I don’t know his dad, but he’s a genuine sweet person too. I think he’s got an incredibly bright future.