Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 35

User Info Menu

I’m really happy with this system. Best amp ever

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Brilliant, as always, Mark.

User Info Menu

Why you have to keep on tempting me, Mark?

User Info Menu

Excellent, Mark!

[So how did you plug two cabs into the Luna? My only design critique of the new RE amps is they only have one speaker out, not two! I know, some -- but not all -- cabs have dual outs so you can chain cabs together, but it would be easier if the amps came standard with two outs, IMO.]

Marc

User Info Menu

The NY8 cabs, like all RE cabs, have dual input/output jacks. I don't know how Mark does it, but it's easy enough to just run another cable to the second cab. Having two speaker outs is nice, but I personally wouldn't reject an amp just because it only has one.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    The NY8 cabs, like all RE cabs, have dual input/output jacks. I don't know how Mark does it, but it's easy enough to just run another cable to the second cab. Having two speaker outs is nice, but I personally wouldn't reject an amp just because it only has one.
    Cool, thanks!
    [and don't worry - I certainly have not rejected them for that!]

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marcwhy
    Cool, thanks!
    [and don't worry - I certainly have not rejected them for that!]
    https://www.ebay.com/p/1962774345?ii...UaAnmcEALw_wcB

User Info Menu

I have really old ones from the first crop of rich raezer builds. Single 1/4” jack only b

User Info Menu

Excellent, Mark!

[So how did you plug two cabs into the Luna? My only design critique of the new RE amps is they only have one speaker out, not two! I know, some -- but not all -- cabs have dual outs so you can chain cabs together, but it would be easier if the amps came standard with two outs, IMO.]

Marc
    splitter cable.

User Info Menu

Wow. I have a relatively early Rich-built cab, and have owned another, but I've never seen one of his cabs with just a single 1/4" jack. Learned something today. Rich seemed to have lots of variability in his products, with little documentation. One-man operations often work like that.

User Info Menu

Wow. I have a relatively early Rich-built cab, and have owned another, but I've never seen one of his cabs with just a single 1/4" jack. Learned something today. Rich seemed to have lots of variability in his products, with little documentation. One-man operations often work like that.
    Yep, I've owned original, Rich-built cabs, too, and they all had a single plug.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Kleinhaut
    do you know if that dongle can take 1/4 jacks at the output? My cabs only have 1/4"

User Info Menu

You can buy or make adapters. I make my own, since it's cheaper and I know what I'm getting, but they're readily available. You can buy adapters that connect two Speakon cables together, and use that to connect a hybrid cable with a Speakon on one end and 1/4" on the other, or you can buy an adapter with Speakon on one end and a 1/4" female jack on the other. I have several types made up, because I have amps that only have 1/4" speaker outputs, amps with only Speakon output, and cabs with either or both types. This would seem to be the easiest solution:

Sorry! Something went wrong!

or just

Also available from ebay et al.

Edit: I looked at the original cable wrong. It has female ends, not male. So you need a male Speakon to male 1/4" adapter, or a female 1/4" adapter with a regular 1/4" plug at both ends, or other adapters. In any case, they're available. If you put "speakon to 1/4" adapter" into the search block on any site or search engine, you'll find lots of options.
    Last edited by sgosnell; 01-03-2020 at 11:44 AM.

User Info Menu

Why you have to keep on tempting me, Mark?
    you know you want it, soooo? Give them a jingle (tell em I sent you).

User Info Menu

Edit: I looked at the original cable wrong. It has female ends, not male. So you need a male Speakon to male 1/4" adapter, or a female 1/4" adapter with a regular 1/4" plug at both ends, or other adapters. In any case, they're available. If you put "speakon to 1/4" adapter" into the search block on any site or search engine, you'll find lots of options.
    I don't want a dongle with 10' appendages on it. I already have 8-10 1/4 speaker cables of various lengths. I just want a small dongle or adapter that goes from male speakon to dual 1/4 female. I don't need it to replace my 3', 6' and 10' speaker cables.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    do you know if that dongle can take 1/4 jacks at the output? My cabs only have 1/4"
    You can buy 4-pole (or even 8-pole) speakON connector and connect 2 speaker cables with 1/4” jacks on the speaker end, instead of 2 speakOn’s.

User Info Menu

i don't want to make my own cables.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    i don't want to make my own cables.
    hahah. I understand.
    I believe any local or internet-based cable maker can do this for cheap.
    Thought that would be a more graceful solution, since SpeakOn to 1/4” adaptors add to the bulk of the already cumbersome breakout cable.

User Info Menu

There was one link for a solid one-piece adapter that accepts 1/4" plugs. You would have to use a regular cable with it. There are others that are very short if you look. Most of the ones in the links are ~6 inches or so in length. Or you can just not use anything, it's up to you.

User Info Menu

just remember ...luna specs are

Output Section: Output power 1kHz, 1% distortion, 210 Watts @ 8 ohms.
    Minimum impedance 3 ohms.

if using 2 cabs make sure the speakers in each cab are 8 ohm or greater...unless doing some series/parallel wiring trickery...

if you are all speakon connected..then this male to dual female connector is all you'd need..if u have the needed speakon cables already...less than 10$ at amazon

cheers

User Info Menu

ps -if you wanna run single speakon male to 2 female 1/4...looks like u'd need 2 adaptors...less than 20$..and u could gaffer tape them together to avoid any problems

first

into

cheers
    Last edited by neatomic; 01-03-2020 at 09:14 PM.

User Info Menu

I know we've (sort of) derailed the discussion with talk about hooking up cabs (for the Luna) ... however ..

I've been buying cables recently from Rattlesnake Cables in Montana; the owner - Hank - is a good guy, and pretty attentive to players' needs. I posed him this question, and here's his reply:

"I'm not a fan of Y-Cables.. since they are very prone to failing. And when it comes to power, even more of an issue.

We might have a solution for you though.. our Mono to Dual Mono splitter. You could run a Speaker Cable from the amp to 1/4" to the splitter. That splitter splits 2 1/4" outputs. You could run 2 1/4" speaker cables from there into the cabs. I'm assuming you have the Ohm loads all worked out.

The benefits
    - The splitter will be a solid solution, where a Y-Cable will have a high probability of failing over time
    - Flexible. With a junction option, you can swap out cables depending on your needs. Long SpeakOn to 1/4", or longer 1/4" to 1/4" speaker cables depending on the situation.

Splitter

Our Mono to Dual Mono Splitter has 20AWG wire.. not preferred for this application. I can wire it up with some 14AWG wire, and I would feel good about that.
    Let me know what you think."

User Info Menu

casting no aspersions on our friend from montana, but i have y cables and trs/ts studio y's that have been running on daily use for almost 3 decades!! no problemo...a cable is a cable...whether split or otherwise..i understand the function of a box splitter...but for the cost of one, you could get 5 y cables as backup!!!

reminds me of old rickenbacker stereo guitars..you could buy a stereo y cable or this little hardwired splitter box from ric called a ric o sound...for 5X the money..both have an equal chance when it comes to longevity..and prob easier to resolder a cable than to open a box and resolder...(for some)

to each his own

cheers

ps- also for live gigging use, i'd think it far easier to carry a few inches of extra cable than a splitter box

User Info Menu

I know we've (sort of) derailed the discussion with talk about hooking up cabs (for the Luna) ... however
    actually, this is all quite detailed fri the real point of my post which is how great the amp actually sounds I though the band was pretty good too.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Kleinhaut
    actually, this is all quite detailed fri the real point of my post which is how great the amp actually sounds I though the band was pretty good too.
    haha..gettin hijacked comes with the turf!!

u'r playing's always good!..

cheers