The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 50

User Info Menu

Been looking at this a while. I’m not keen on wine red, this is between Gibson’s wine red and cherry.
    what put me over the top was playing my 17 inch Soecial on Christmas Eve.
    ‘more when she arrives
    I'm gonna go bounce off the walls for a while

Attached Images Attached Images Incoming: 18 inch Campellone Special-51518250-476b-4a1f-980c-5c4fe56670b0-jpeg Incoming: 18 inch Campellone Special-dd5d90b4-231c-4e56-a157-5a60b277ce5f-jpg Incoming: 18 inch Campellone Special-da3f836d-396c-4341-9a47-6d56bb450847-jpg Incoming: 18 inch Campellone Special-cd1cc90d-3c13-4c36-bf3c-428dc92500c7-jpg Incoming: 18 inch Campellone Special-f89a6230-a70c-4951-843d-abcf1f5fba09-jpg Incoming: 18 inch Campellone Special-b8ae1021-2681-4327-9b34-99f31cff4cef-jpg Incoming: 18 inch Campellone Special-dc95af46-91d7-41f3-8ed4-e12a1c23d69f-jpg 

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Speechless! If that sounds just half as good as it looks it will be in the top 1%.

User Info Menu

Campellone’s rule !

User Info Menu

Big Mike,
    Excellent choice - TMZ is a great dealer no worries. The back on that guitar is extraordinary. I’m sure it’s sound will match its beauty.
    Wishing you many hours of enjoyment.

User Info Menu

Breathtaking. I can't wait to hear it.

Tony D.

User Info Menu

Been watching that for a while. Glad you got it and can't wait to hear your review.

Joe

User Info Menu

Anthony I am so glad to see you posting. A Doube Blessing today !!!
    Thanks everyone, the Campellone are such killer guitars.

Well, on a slightly somber note, I called Mark the other day to talk about BigRed and he’d gotten word his 93 year old father had passed away overnight. Perhaps you can call or text your regrets to him.

?Big

Quote Originally Posted by pilotony
    Breathtaking. I can't wait to hear it.

Tony D.

User Info Menu

Mike,
    If that guitar sounds and plays anything like the Standard you let me try out, then you got a home run there. And a prettier one too.
    The pickguard adds a dimension to the guitar that is almost decadent. I never would thought something like that would work. But it really looks nice.
    Mark, your attention to detail is second to none. Your dad will always be proud of you. I am truly sorry for your loss.
    JD

User Info Menu

You can call that colour cherry wine!

She's a beauty Mike, play it in good health!

Doug

User Info Menu

Boy, thats awful nice looking guitar. Enjoy and learn to like the color!

User Info Menu

Bigmike you got a winner I was looking at this thinking it is the best buy in acoustic archtop. You will not be disappointed and I happen to love the color.

To me this could be the Dangelicos of the 2000’s. The thing to remember is that is not one off presentation type guitar. This is a guitar made for the discriminating player who is not completely rich, but can buy a fine guitar. Just like John D. Made his guitars.

Go mikeee!

User Info Menu

Nice going Mike ! Congrats !

User Info Menu

I like red guitars

Incoming: 18 inch Campellone Special-127e3ca0-e6d3-446f-a3da-98dfbe076dda-jpegIncoming: 18 inch Campellone Special-e1b6508a-95a8-4e6b-a023-157d0499f99f-jpg

User Info Menu

Mikey, Like Steve said, the back on this guitar is extraordinary.
    You probably know this already but.. Red guitars do not photograph well. Detail is always lost when you look at the pictures. Be prepared to be dazzled when you see this guitar for the 1st time.
    You already have some of the finest wood that has ever grown out of the ground, right in your home. This is another piece that will blow you away.
    Marks attention to detail is what sets his guitars apart from the rest. The patience to wait until it’s just right is his trademark. Like Deacon said, he is the modern day D’Angelico.
    Enjoy Mikey!
    Ps, I can’t bold the type on my iPad for some reason. Sorry bud.

User Info Menu

you’re absolutely right Joe, LittleRed (my red GB5) has amazing wood, but you have to be in te sun to really see it, I surely can’t photograph it. My 17 inch Soecial has such great wood and is easy to play and really projects, I knew I had to do this. Based on the photos in knew BigRed will be just sick, sick I tell you, in person. And talk about loud and fat sounding, Can’t wait.

Big

User Info Menu

Wowee! That's a classy red. Pick guard color is a great touch too.

User Info Menu

Deacon Msrk,

you’re likely right - he and perhaps one or two others are The Future Masters. As Vinny says “better built, better value than Gibson”

Last edited by BigMikeinNJ; 12-29-2019 at 04:20 PM.

User Info Menu

That is a striking instrument! Really looking forward to your NGD!

User Info Menu

Try and find a mismatched bevel on his binding corners. You will not.
    Or any flaw for that matter. That pickguard is insanely gorgeous.
    I may need to upgrade on the v1k model.

Mark said his dad was suffering and is finding solace that he is finally at peace. A prayer for the master builder would be a good thing though.
    Mark is a very good man.

User Info Menu

Mark Campellone is a Master Luthier who has solidified his place in the pantheon of Archtop guitar builders. For those who remember "Just Jazz Guitar" magazine , whos founder Ed Benson retired and shut down the publication in 2015 , it contained valuable information with everything related to Jazz guitar. The last issue of the magazine was no. 84 - its dated August 2015 and contains an Article with Tom Van Hoose on the "Current state of the Archtop Market".

In the article he discusses many things , including the Gibson start up in Nashville, and how Jim Hutchins was responsible for getting Archtop construction up and running - despite several pcs of tooling that was left outside and ruined.

But when asked about great Builders he states "Mark Campellone "...who Tom feels has established a great reputation and expects Mark to be around for a long time.
    ( I attached excerpts of that interview ). He specifically states Marks build quality.

As I was flipping through the magazine I realized just how much I miss the publicaton, which always contained valuable articles, music and lessons pertaining to just Jazz guitar.

I like to think of Mark Campellone as the only US luthier who has truly committed his life to providing a guitar that truly emulates the best post war Gibson equivalent at an attainable price...and has not wavered in that committement to deliver an incomparable value to the Jazz community.

As for fit and finish .....think - John Zeidler , a deceased Philadelphia luthier renowned by his peers for flawless workmanship.

I wrote to Mark yesterday giving my condolences for his Dads passing. Life is short......enjoy each day you guys.

BigMike - I aplogize for not knowing how to bold this text on my tablet.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by QAman; 12-29-2019 at 09:42 PM.

User Info Menu

"As for fit and finish .....think - John Zeidler , a deceased Philadelphia luthier renowned by his peers for flawless workmanship"

A close friend and the absolute finest in that regard, bar none. But I remember him telling me he liked Mark's workmanship as well as Bill Comins as far as the newer guys were concerned. Those guys were in awe of John.

User Info Menu

Thanks Qman, I love Just Jazz Guitar magazine.
    all this talk just makes me more excited.

Big

User Info Menu

Very nice. I watched that one for quite a while. I have a Special 18” as well. The 1998 Blonde that was for sale from The Guitar Shop in Canada, got it around this date in 2019. Talked them into shipping it me in the states and it is pretty awesome. It is a bit cumbersome to play with the 18” body and I’m 6’ 3”. Hope you enjoy yours as much as I enjoy mine.

Brion

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    "As for fit and finish .....think - John Zeidler , a deceased Philadelphia luthier renowned by his peers for flawless workmanship"

A close friend and the absolute finest in that regard, bar none. But I remember him telling me he liked Mark's workmanship as well as Bill Comins as far as the newer guys were concerned. Those guys were in awe of John.
    Just wanted to echo your comments - I'm one of those guys who was in awe of John's work - absolute perfection - I'm truly flattered to learn that he admired my work.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MCampellone
    Just wanted to echo your comments - I'm one of those guys who was in awe of John's work - absolute perfection - I'm truly flattered to learn that he admired my work.
    great!!

enjoy the admiration! well deserved!

cheers