The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 50 of 50

User Info Menu

IT seemed to be an eternity before it arrived, came rather late in the day too. Box was cold so I pared it and at 00;30 had to check.
    Wow eeeehhhh wow we wow

Enjoy

Attached Images Attached Images Incoming: 18 inch Campellone Special-b0474dc7-93e6-4422-b76b-88b242bf34e8-jpg Incoming: 18 inch Campellone Special-c948b9c2-6adb-4ad0-97fe-19ad4ec71a95-jpg Incoming: 18 inch Campellone Special-eca5e1da-9472-4b7c-86cc-cdb58cae5f65-jpg Incoming: 18 inch Campellone Special-31032528-82f1-4e94-81f8-ac3d7e0f0e5c-jpg Incoming: 18 inch Campellone Special-d43e9a5f-8634-4dd3-be66-6e8dd2190e0d-jpg Incoming: 18 inch Campellone Special-8328f833-14d4-4cfe-a4cc-da763eb8f3d5-jpg Incoming: 18 inch Campellone Special-3d022d09-7bf2-486e-85a2-9b9833de112d-jpg Incoming: 18 inch Campellone Special-07595e44-b5fa-4215-abe5-8a15547cd9f2-jpg 

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Incoming: 18 inch Campellone Special-f79fff4b-7224-43b6-bd4c-2d1266bfec47-jpgIncoming: 18 inch Campellone Special-632a57b5-c97b-4a98-bced-d86e2081a201-jpgIncoming: 18 inch Campellone Special-47099cbf-b5d2-4118-a614-d53afc4b049c-jpg

User Info Menu

Glorious Mikey ! Campellone’s rule. Congrats

User Info Menu

it’s so stunning in hand. Serial number 3310807
    ‘Shot of guitar with no flash to see true color

Incoming: 18 inch Campellone Special-a243eee1-c366-4f18-ad7c-c7dbcc5e4ef1-jpegIncoming: 18 inch Campellone Special-0945ccdb-1c7a-407c-8022-e0727cc5a5df-jpeg

User Info Menu

babys got back! whew!!

congrats & enjoy big..a beauty

cheers

User Info Menu

Wow Mike. The Bubble maple is striking when finished in Red.
    We all know Mark builds some pretty incredible stuff. He makes these guitars in controllable “limited” quantities and that’s his way of making sure the guitars bearing his name are the absolute best quality attainable. And keeping the prices reasonable is another way he is cementing his legacy as a builder of guitars that have great residual value.
    You have some beauties Mike and this is an exceptional guitar.
    I’m happy for you Mike. Enjoy and HAVE FUN!
    Joe D

User Info Menu

Wow, Big, that is splendid! Well done young man! Congratulations, and play it in good health!

User Info Menu

I was telling Joe how it’s quieter that either of my 17 inchers
    joe pointed out it was for sale a year and likely not played and needs to be played eith TI jazz swings to Drive that big top and see its potential

Thsnks for all the compliments and encouragement

User Info Menu

Wow, that's drop dead gorgeous.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigMikeinNJ

joe pointed out it was for sale a year and likely not played and needs to be played eith TI jazz swings to Drive that big top and see its potential

yes agree, some new thoms and some playing will have that redbird singin! gotta wake that wood up..get it vibratin...

beautiful..have fun..keep that one near for awhile!! it'll come alive

cheers

User Info Menu

Nice acquisition, BigMike. Have fun with it!

User Info Menu

"gotta wake that wood up..get it vibratin..."

Yeah, playing 'em is the thing.
    I have a few that sound amazing no matter how long they sit, but others that are good when you let em sit too long, but quickly wake up to great after a few tunes. Pretty amazing, but not surprising.
    Gotta warm up a lot of things in life to get 'em @ their best!

User Info Menu

Red guitars typically have somewhat plainer woods to hide imperfections, or maybe slightly mask less than appealing figuring, but that quilted back looks really cool, very striking.
    bang on it when you got something simmering on the stove or baking in the oven Mikey!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    Gotta warm up a lot of things in life to get 'em @ their best!
    exactly!!!

cheers

User Info Menu

Thsnks for all the compliments and encouragement
    I've always found it's harder to get an 18" guitar to sound good acoustically (compared to a 17" or 16" guitar) - of course, the original thinking behind the 18" guitar was "bigger body equals bigger sound" - but it also takes more string energy to drive that much wood - fine, if you string the guitar heavy, jack up the action and play hard. I used to play drums when I was a kid, and it seems to me that guitars are like cymbals in a way - a thinner cymbal will respond readily to a light touch, and as you strike it harder it will eventually reach its maximum output - beyond that point, harder hits will not produce more volume. On the other hand, it takes more energy to stimulate a heavier cymbal, so it won't respond much to a light strike, but as you strike it harder and harder, its maximum output will exceed that of the thinner cymbal.

So back to guitars, I think that given a limited maximum amount of available string energy, the physics of the 17" guitar work better than the 18" for average acoustic playing styles - maybe one of the reasons the L5 was more popular than the Super 400 back in the days before amplification. I remember reading somewhere that after the Super 400 was introduced and got into the hands of players, it earned the nickname "whispering giant" because players felt the sound of the guitar didn't match its impressive appearance - still, an 18" beauty is an awesome sight : )

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MCampellone
    I've always found it's harder to get an 18" guitar to sound good acoustically (compared to a 17" or 16" guitar) - of course, the original thinking behind the 18" guitar was "bigger body equals bigger sound" - but it also takes more string energy to drive that much wood - fine, if you string the guitar heavy, jack up the action and play hard. I used to play drums when I was a kid, and it seems to me that guitars are like cymbals in a way - a thinner cymbal will respond readily to a light touch, and as you strike it harder it will eventually reach its maximum output - beyond that point, harder hits will not produce more volume. On the other hand, it takes more energy to stimulate a heavier cymbal, so it won't respond much to a light strike, but as you strike it harder and harder, its maximum output will exceed that of the thinner cymbal.

So back to guitars, I think that given a limited maximum amount of available string energy, the physics of the 17" guitar work better than the 18" for average acoustic playing styles - maybe one of the reasons the L5 was more popular than the Super 400 back in the days before amplification. I remember reading somewhere that after the Super 400 was introduced and got into the hands of players, it earned the nickname "whispering giant" because players felt the sound of the guitar didn't match its impressive appearance - still, an 18" beauty is an awesome sight : )
    Wow, a wonderful analogy. That quite nicely encapsulates the difference between my 1932 L-5 and my 1939 L-5 - the sensitivity/maximum output continuum. I also play drums and use 30's cymbals which tend to be even thinner than what they now call "paper thin", and I've found exactly the same thing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by campusfive
    Wow, a wonderful analogy. That quite nicely encapsulates the difference between my 1932 L-5 and my 1939 L-5 - the sensitivity/maximum output continuum. I also play drums and use 30's cymbals which tend to be even thinner than what they now call "paper thin", and I've found exactly the same thing.
    Ha! - thanks for validating my theory : )

User Info Menu

Excellent read and perfect illustration of why I continue to enjoy this forum. I've played and enjoyed guitar instruments for nearly as long as I've been alive, and will continue as long as I am able. This thread and many others on the forum keep me coming back for more. You folks are awesome and I'm always looking forward to the contributions and sharing. Thanks

User Info Menu

Hello Mark, I’m so glad you checked in with us and give us your take on builds.
    I surely wasn’t complaining when I said that out of the case BigRed was quieter than the 17 inch Standard and/or Special I own. My feeling was and still is that the guitar had not been played regularly in over a year and like a fine old wine needed time (and playing) to open up. Much like my ghost built Heritage D’Angelico New Yorker that was never owned since delivered in 1994 to the store I bought it from - it sat either in a special display case or it’s factory case all that time.

thanks sir for making such great guitars, though I’ve sworn off buying I’m always looking for another of your guitars.

Big

Incoming: 18 inch Campellone Special-4f454152-4b72-4184-aff7-8e92c9c9802d-jpg

User Info Menu

Congratulations BigMike! No matter the size-sound debate, that wineburst guitar is stunningly "SPECIAL!"

User Info Menu

Hello Mark, I’m so glad you checked in with us and give us your take on builds.
    I surely wasn’t complaining when I said that out of the case BigRed was quieter than the 17 inch Standard and/or Special I own. My feeling was and still is that the guitar had not been played regularly in over a year and like a fine old wine needed time (and playing) to open up. Much like my ghost built Heritage D’Angelico New Yorker that was never owned since delivered in 1994 to the store I bought it from - it sat either in a special display case or it’s factory case all that time.

thanks sir for making such great guitars, though I’ve sworn off buying I’m always looking for another of your guitars.

Big

Incoming: 18 inch Campellone Special-4f454152-4b72-4184-aff7-8e92c9c9802d-jpg
    no problem, Mike - I didn't take your comment as a complaint - it's a valid observation, and it could very well be that the guitar wasn't played much, and if so, should improve with playtime - and speaking of playtime, here's a funny saying - an OK new guitar will become a good guitar with time - a good new guitar will become a great guitar with time - but a lousy new guitar will probably always be a lousy guitar : )

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by skykomishone
    Excellent read and perfect illustration of why I continue to enjoy this forum. I've played and enjoyed guitar instruments for nearly as long as I've been alive, and will continue as long as I am able. This thread and many others on the forum keep me coming back for more. You folks are awesome and I'm always looking forward to the contributions and sharing. Thanks
    Agreed! - I've enjoyed sharing info and reading the comments of other members here on the forum - I love talking shop - just wish I had more time to do it : )

User Info Menu

I don't see why you wouldn't have all the time you wanted to read forums. It's not like you have anything else to take up your time. Oh, wait....

User Info Menu

Let me further amplify my praises while we got this Campellone Love In in full swing.

Many of you Campy owners know this, no matter which size or model you have the doggone guitar just feels completely right. Like your most favorite baseball glove as a kid, your one and only Favorite pair of jeans, the ride of that sporty coupe from your 30s (mine was a ‘67 Cougar). I am so overwhelmed by that feel in all three of mine. Pretty big shoes to fill.

Big

User Info Menu

Mike - I was absent from this forum for what feels like a really long time. I'm so glad to see you and your collection are in wonderful shape. Congratulations on an absolutely gorgeous instrument!