The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hi!
    We've had some nice discussion in a Semi Hollow on a budget thread and I received from You a lot of advices. Therefore I decided to start something similar about my other guitar. For sure this is not the typical guitar, that You would associate with jazzy areas. However looks can be misleading sometimes. I am currently working on a solo tune similar to the one in my signature and I think it will sound cool. Of course different as well. Also for slightly fuzzy strat'ish licks or crazy solo with whammy bar it works like a dream. For sure I will share the solo composition, when I got it.
    So here target of the mods is different than in Harley Benton, as the guitar is already very decent quality. It's more about giving some extra functions and fixing some areas worn over time. I've bought the guitar about 10 years ago brand new. Actually I wanted stadnard S520 model but it was not available at the time so I ended up with limited "monster skin" edition. This is one of the last standard models produced in Korea. Another cool feature is the ZPS bridge mounted on bearings instead of the edge blades. That's why I never thought of replacing this guitar with newer model.

Mods done so far:
    -Pickups: original pickups were very dark and didn't have the option to split the coils, which is super important for me right now. I have Tesla pickup in the neck and Entwistle at the bridge position. Both are medium shelf pickups, for me work great.
    -Push pull switch for coil tap. One switch for both pickups and I have 3 position pickup selector.
    -Pickup rings, knobs and selector cap changed to white. Originally guitar was mostly balck, so I wanted to give it more classy look matching better my current style of music

Future plans:
    -Switching system rework. I am considering two options:
    +trying to recreate setup similar to the one in Ibanez AZ using 5 position switch and one push-pull pot. I already have a draft, but it can be quite complicated.
    +using 2 push-pull switches to make separated coil tap for each pickup for HS/SH option.
    I think some test will be needed to decide which solution is better.
    -Fixing the whammy bar socket issue. It is a typical issue in first edition of Zero Point bridge. Bar started to wiggle and thread is worn. For now I have temporary fix, but I need to replace the complete bar with socket.
    -Frets leveling. Not a big deal for now, but I start to notice little buzz here and there at higher frets
    -DIY white truss rod cover to match another white accents (for now I used white sticker) - this is the easiest one
    -I think different knobs will be required to have better grip when using push-pull switch.

Below the pictures of my model compared to the one straight from the factory

Ibanez S07LTD mods-img_20191227_101945-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hi!
    I have a little update on this guitar in case any of You interrested. Not huge changes, but still it was nice to refresh the guitar a bit.

Truss rod cover
    I have finally done it in a correct way. I took tremolo chamfer cover used in standard strats as a piece of nice white plastic and cut exactly the same shape as original cover. My little precision hand saw turned out to be very handy here (I think it's my favourite tool). Then a little edge chamfering and done. Finally it looks neat.
    Ibanez S07LTD mods-img_20200202_141619-jpg

Fretboard treatment
    I was changing the strings recently and I've used the opportunity to clean the fretboard and make some treatment. I've used the same beeswax that when making rosewood pickguard for Semi Hollow on a budget. Difference is not huge, but I think structure of the wood came out a bit more. Definitely I have to do the same with Harley Benton. Below before - after photos
    Ibanez S07LTD mods-img_20200118_115706-jpg Ibanez S07LTD mods-img_20200118_120524-jpg

Separated coil split for each pickup
    This is actually the most important update in this post. I've already had coil tap in the tone knob, but for both coils at the same time, so I could have two humbuckers or "two single coils". Right now I've soldered another coil tap in volume pot and I can decide for each pickup separately if it should be humbucker or single. That gave me another 2 possibilities - HS and SH (now 8 combinations in total). I always wanted to try it and now I am super happy. Setting with neck in single and bridge in humbucker mode seems to be working especially great for my next solo composition, that I am cooking right now (video soon). BTW - hopefully You'll be surprised how this guitar can be used in more jazzy areas
    I am not super satisfied with the way how cables are organized, but it worked with the first try, which is nice.
    Also if you have Ibanez S and want to the same, please be aware that cover plate for electronics will be bent a bit by the tone coil tap pot (this is how we pay for super edgy body shape).
    Ibanez S07LTD mods-img_20200201_170537-jpg

Now I have the new point of concern - I have two knobs with push-pull, but none of those give a good grip with the hat knob. I guess I have to change them soon. For sure I will show the result

User Info Menu

A S is on my wishlist. I was not expecting a thread of such guitar on this forum. My first reaction to the finish was in the "tasteless" spectrum, but based on the closeup photos I realize that it must be cool in reality with the textured feel and appearance.

How is the whammy? Is it very sensitive in combination with palm muting?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by teeps
    A S is on my wishlist. I was not expecting a thread of such guitar on this forum. My first reaction to the finish was in the "tasteless" spectrum, but based on the closeup photos I realize that it must be cool in reality with the textured feel and appearance.

How is the whammy? Is it very sensitive in combination with palm muting?
    Actually this color was not my first choice. When I was buying the guitar it was the only piece of S520 model, that I was able to find in local online stores. Now I like it a lot, especially with all white parts installed.

I don't do a lot of palm muting, but I think it's one of the best whammy for this kind of stuff because of Zero Point System. It has a counter-spring that keeps the bar returning always to the same place. Because of that it's a bit stiffer and more stable for sure (you can easily unmount and mount this spring according to the needs). I think currently Edge-Zero bridges have the same quality. Generally S series highly recommended. I am now looking to increase the collection by 7 string RG

User Info Menu

Hi!
    I've just recorded little solo composition using this guitar. I found it equally usefull for this kind of playing as my semi hollow, just different of course. That's very interresting, how different guitar makes us playing in a different way. Here I wasn't looking for very clear mellow tone, but for slightly distorted warm and clear sound. Whammy bar turned to be quite usefull as well. At the beginning I play in neck position in coil tap mode and then switch to bridge - full humbucker. Then signal is going through my DIY pedal which mixes together treble boost and fuzz. Seems like fuzz is giving a lot of nice low end and clean boost increases clarity. Overally that was a lot of fun and I have to say I love this guitar All feedback most wecome!

User Info Menu

Sounds awesome, great playing. Now I want one, lol.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by arielcee
    Sounds awesome, great playing. Now I want one, lol.
    Thanks a lot! I highly recommend this guitar. Might be quite hard to find exactly the same model as it is from 2007, but there is plenty of newer S model versions I believe