The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Posts 76 to 100 of 410

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by EllenGtrGrl
    I had a Rivera era Princeton Reverb II amp. It was a great amp! The only reason I got rid of mine was due to the fact that at the time (1990), it was looking like 6V6 tubes were going extinct, and I didn't want to deal with the problem of retubing it down the road, especially since one of the 6V6s in mine, was starting to get iffy. I wouldn't mind another Princeton Reverb II, but they're going for a quite a bit more nowadays, than I paid for mine.
    Among my modest collection of amps, the PRII is one of my favorites as well. Thankfully high quality 6V6's continue to be produced.
    The same cannot be said of the mighty 80's Super Champ's 6C10 triple diode tube. If you can find one of these out of production tubes they command a high premium.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Every time this topic comes up I post the same thing, more or less.

What I gig with: Acoustic Image Corus & Ten2 combos, Ten2 EX extension. Not shown is an AI SL-R head I sometimes take for backup, although I've never needed it. On the rare occasions I play a rock or pop gig of some type I use a modeler into the effects return of one of the combos.

How Many Guitar Amps Do You Own?-ai-combos-ex-jpg

At home: Axe-FX III into Crown XLS1500 into Raezer's-Edge Twin-8-Tower-ER (left) and RE Stealth-12-ER (Right). There's something like 250 amp models in there, and after owning it for 18 months I still haven't gotten around to trying them all. Whatever model I select I seem to wind up stuck there for weeks. If I just want a straight jazz sound I use one of the Fender models without effects. Photo is out of date, since I have an FC-6 Foot controller there now.

How Many Guitar Amps Do You Own?-axe-iii_01_02-jpg

Danny W.

User Info Menu

I'm down to two tube amps, a 60s princeton reverb and a new fender pro Junior iv. One solid state, a Zt lunchbox that will be replaced with the new model as soon as it hits the market, and an Aer compact 60 mainly for acoustics. Also have a Roland xl 40 that I use sometimes when a beater amp is needed - thought many times about replacing it with something like a Katana but I think it sounds a lot better. A twin reverb head hopefully to be sold soon (-edit- sold! ).

Very happy with my amps. The only thing I'd be tempted to buy would be a 60s deluxe reverb, or a tweed deluxe, if I find one at good prices.
    Last edited by Alter; 02-15-2020 at 12:37 PM.

User Info Menu

Bose Compact and Digitech RP360XP; equals several dozen amps. Throw in an ART or Lexicon tube mic pre, and another several dozen tube amps show up.

User Info Menu

I have 3 fender amps and will use all three at the same time. but not all the time. I will hook up My Trio+ to 2 of them one for the Bass and Drums and one for the guitar loop then my Guitar into one or all three. How Many Guitar Amps Do You Own?-my-place-play-jpg

User Info Menu

Vox AC15
    '73 Princeton Reverb
    Phil Jones "The Cub"
    Evans JE200
    Fender Mustang III
    GK MB112 bass combo
    Kemper Profiler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Wildcat
    Is that the Walter Becker sale catalog on top?
    Yup. I bid on a bunch of his stuff and all I got was this crappy t-shirt, uh, I mean, book.

...uh, amps, right...I have a pile of amps from Ampeg, Bogen, Budda, Eden Amp, Gibson, Koch, Polytone, Rivera. And a few more that I, uh, don't remember right now.
    Last edited by Hammertone; 07-18-2020 at 02:08 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gitfiddler
    Among my modest collection of amps, the PRII is one of my favorites as well. Thankfully high quality 6V6's continue to be produced.
    The same cannot be said of the mighty 80's Super Champ's 6C10 triple diode tube. If you can find one of these out of production tubes they command a high premium.
    Thank you for the advice. I was looking for a Super Champ. If I buy another amp, I expect it will be solid-state.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by EllenGtrGrl
    I had a Rivera era Princeton Reverb II amp. It was a great amp! The only reason I got rid of mine was due to the fact that at the time (1990), it was looking like 6V6 tubes were going extinct, and I didn't want to deal with the problem of retubing it down the road, especially since one of the 6V6s in mine, was starting to get iffy. I wouldn't mind another Princeton Reverb II, but they're going for a quite a bit more nowadays, than I paid for mine.
    I bought mine when they were unfashionable, in 1997. I also bought a new set of valves, since things were not looking good for the industry then. But, as things turned out, I have not had to replace any of them.

A couple of months ago, I put the old set back in. They sound good.

User Info Menu

Ilike both The Little Jazz is very warm not as flexible as the Bud. The Bud works better for acoustic guitar.The bud is more powerful and has a wider tone spectrum. and more power.. Both are very convienent, Mickmac

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Litterick
    Thank you for the advice. I was looking for a Super Champ. If I buy another amp, I expect it will be solid-state.
    F.Y.I. - today's Super Champ is different animal from the 80s version originally quoted. It doesn't use the 6C10 triple triode.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Litterick
    I have a few n.o.s. 6C10's as back up. But after owning 3 Rivera Super Champs over the last 10 years, not one of these tubes have ever gone bad. Connecting a SC to a 1x12 or 4x12 8ohm ext. cab sounds better than amps twice their size. Paul Rivera and Ed Jahns amp designs are brilliantly conceived and built like tanks.

My next gigging amp will likely be one of the new Fender Tone Master Twins. Its time to retire the mighty Boogie Mk IV. I love it dearly, but my back and shoulders simply can't handle heavy amps any longer. Getting old sucks.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mickmac
    Ilike both The Little Jazz is very warm not as flexible as the Bud. The Bud works better for acoustic guitar.The bud is more powerful and has a wider tone spectrum. and more power.. Both are very convienent, Mickmac
    Thanks for this comparison!

Odd question, but would appreciate any thoughts. I have the Little Jazz and am thinking about the Bud or Blu because players I respect love them.

I understand that the Bud is louder, but the LJ is loud enough for most of what I do. I already have to turn down the bass on the LJ and I can't hear high frequencies anyway (you youngsters, take care of your ears!), so, is there any reason I would want a Bud/Blu?

User Info Menu

Hmmm...

ca. 1971 Fender Pro Reverb with two JBLs. Hasn't left the house in years as I can't lift it up and down the stairs withouthurting myself. I've had this amp since about 1985, back when I could tote it around with no problem.

Clarus 2r head with RE 12" and RS 8" cabs.

Mission Amps kit built 5e3.

Polytone Baby Taurus.

Egnater Rebel 30 combo.

Roland Cube 60.

Small Fender SS practice amp, cost me $30 or $40 new. It's only use is in my workshop to check guitars after electronics surgeries.

Alto TS-110a powered speaker, with a Zoom something-100bt pedal used as a preamp/modeler.

What the hell do I need 8 amps for? Or, for that matter two archtops, two Teles, a Strat, two nylon strings and a flattop? Not to mention a pile of effects pedals that I don't use. So the plan is to sell all the amps except the 5e3 and get down to two guitars (my archtop and either the Strat or a Tele). I envy people who are content with one guitar and one amp (if even an amp). Thing is, I don't gig. I gigged for seven years with a quintet. I after that I didn't see any reason to inflict yet another mediocre jazz guitarist on an already tight musical market in my area, so since that band broke up I have put zero effort into finding a gigging situation since. I may very well never gig again, I just didn't enjoy it that much. I like writing songs, jamming with others and practice bands, but after the third get-together someone invariably says "hey, we should get some gigs."

User Info Menu

Mk1 Green board blues junior
    Session Rockette 30
    AER comp 60
    TC Bam200 into baby TooB (6.5 lbs !)

this last Bam + Toob is what I use now all the time
    great sound and soooo light

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gitfiddler
    Nice stuff!
    What is that cute little light brown amp on the right resting proudly on the stand?
    That is a Gretsch (Valco).
    How Many Guitar Amps Do You Own?-gretsch20valco20amp-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pingu
    Mk1 Green board blues junior
    Session Rockette 30
    AER comp 60
    TC Bam200 into baby TooB (6.5 lbs !)

this last Bam + Toob is what I use now all the time
    great sound and soooo light
    My Rockette: 30 is still one of my favourites!

User Info Menu

Mambo 8 wedge and AER Alpha.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar

Odd question, but would appreciate any thoughts. I have the Little Jazz and am thinking about the Bud or Blu because players I respect love them.

I understand that the Bud is louder, but the LJ is loud enough for most of what I do. I already have to turn down the bass on the LJ and I can't hear high frequencies anyway (you youngsters, take care of your ears!), so, is there any reason I would want a Bud/Blu?
    I understand the Blu temptation. Very small & very cool. I have the LJ and a Henriksen 110ER. The 110ER only comes out for louder gigs because I know it will do the job well. When I'm playing at home I like the sound of the LJ better. A little thicker tone & I like the way the knobs function better. Others will disagree, but unless you are playing louder than the LJ can go, I'd just stick with the LJ unless you just want to blow some $$$ on some cool new gear. If you are plugging in an acoustic, it might be a different story.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    Hmmm...

ca. 1971 Fender Pro Reverb with two JBLs. Hasn't left the house in years as I can't lift it up and down the stairs withouthurting myself. I've had this amp since about 1985, back when I could tote it around with no problem.

Clarus 2r head with RE 12" and RS 8" cabs.

Mission Amps kit built 5e3.

Polytone Baby Taurus.

Egnater Rebel 30 combo.

Roland Cube 60.

Small Fender SS practice amp, cost me $30 or $40 new. It's only use is in my workshop to check guitars after electronics surgeries.

Alto TS-110a powered speaker, with a Zoom something-100bt pedal used as a preamp/modeler.

What the hell do I need 8 amps for? Or, for that matter two archtops, two Teles, a Strat, two nylon strings and a flattop? Not to mention a pile of effects pedals that I don't use. So the plan is to sell all the amps except the 5e3 and get down to two guitars (my archtop and either the Strat or a Tele). I envy people who are content with one guitar and one amp (if even an amp). Thing is, I don't gig. I gigged for seven years with a quintet. I after that I didn't see any reason to inflict yet another mediocre jazz guitarist on an already tight musical market in my area, so since that band broke up I have put zero effort into finding a gigging situation since. I may very well never gig again, I just didn't enjoy it that much. I like writing songs, jamming with others and practice bands, but after the third get-together someone invariably says "hey, we should get some gigs."
    Cunamara,

I totally relate to this post. I play occasional duo/trio/quartet gigs, but my motivation for gigging is gone. I like the idea of playing in the quartet more than the experience of it, as we don't rehearse or perform often enough to get tight -- which I find frustrating. The duo is a lot more fun because the bass player & I perform more often and practice every week -- makes a big difference! So I've got a 10 amp collection I should downsize !!! Meanwhile I've been spending most of my time learning to play the flute, because you know, the world really needs one more mediocre flutist !!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar

Based on your conditions, you don't need a Bud/Blu unless you are gigging/jamming. Also, if you want an effects loop, than you need a Bud or a Blu.
    Last edited by medblues; 10-03-2020 at 03:42 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by medblues
    Based on your conditions, you don't need a Bud/Blu unless you are not gigging/jamming. Also, if you want an effects loop, than you need a Bud or a Blu.
    I couldn't quite figure that out. I gig and jam regularly. The LJ is loud enough for everything except, maybe, big band -- and I have used it with a 19 pc band -- I just wasn't sure it was loud enough for that. OTOH, that band plays without mic'ing the horns, and the LJ is as loud as an unamplified horn, more or less. I used the LJ for an octet gig for maybe 200 people in a room that could have held a lot more, and it was loud enough. I routinely play with quintet and occasionally trio (guitar, reeds, bass) and it works well for all of that.

The only question that I have about the LJ is that comping can sound muddy with the bass up, so I usually turn it all the way down. That doesn't get the best lead tone, so it's a compromise. My next attempted solution will be adding EQ in front of it with a pedal board and have the EQ be switchable -- in or out.

User Info Menu

1963 Ampeg supereverb R15R
    1964 Ampeg Reverbrocket R12R-B
    1973ish Kustom K250-4
    1977 Fender Twin Reverb
    1978 Fender Twin Reverb
    1980s Roland JC-120
    1990s Marshall Valvestate VS100

the JC120 dosent work too well, some young kid used it for some punk music and now it has fuzzy sound coming out of one speaker... right now i use it to block the dog from opening the refrigerator.

marshall is my headphone amp

1977 twin is 99 percent original, needs new caps and tremolo dosent work. also the cap pan (aka doghouse cover) is missing. original tubes and footpedal never taken out of plastic.

1978 twin ? i bought it when i was 15, blew the speakers while using it for bass with a russian big muff...

the kustom - i would like to sell but ive never seen another one like it and dont know how much its worth.

reverbrocket - bought a few years ago from a girl in a punk band that was using it for a microphone amp.

supereverb - bought a few months ago. sounds great.

also, i barely get to play them because i live in a triplex with thin walls...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Little Jay
    My Rockette: 30 is still one of my favourites!
    respect to you man .... it's all just taste

I'm not that keen on it , I find it a bit paste-y sounding
    it sounds a bit better now it's been serviced/ souped up by Session
    with a celestion something in it .....
    (ive got it out on loan to my brother , he plays bass through it
    at moderate volume and likes it a lot)

not that mad about my Compact 60 either
    which I used for years mainly due to its small size/weight
    (best sound I ever had was a Fender 75 combo with a 15" in it
    but you couldn't pick it up so it was a bit pointless)

try a Toob if you get a chance ... Great

User Info Menu

The overblown list that follows is the result of two factors – the “quest” (damn it) and the fact that I live in two separate towns and don’t want to move amps every week. And it’s all still a bit in a flux…

1. Fender 1964 Tremolux + Mojotone repro cab. My “rock” amp, and one that I’ll never, ever sell. Has gone through a few gigs totally problem-free and providing great tones for my teles and strats. Absolute love. Does not like my DeArmond, but that can be fixed easily with a Jr. Barnyard in between.
    2. Epi Zephyr 1946. So far, my most problematic investment. It sounds wonderful, looks wonderful, but is terribly unreliable to date. Should have been my “swing gig amp”, but it’s not up to it (yet). Tech and I are at the last throws. Might have to flip it, at a loss. Or keep it as a luxury home amp… but that’d be a waste.
    3. Mojotone tweed champ. Lovely little home amp. Goes well with DeArmond pickups, and is loud enough for quiet get-togethers. I played it several times as a gig amp before getting the Zephyr, but all in all it’s too underpowered, poor little thing. It’s seeing less and less use though…
    4. Acoustic Image Clarus II + RE stealth 12” ER. Bought it very recently for big band. For swing sounds it needs a pedal in front. For boppier sounds it might work well on its own. Other than that, can’t comment … it’s yet to see big band action, so we’ll see.
    5. Original tweed Jazzkat. Got it for next to nothing, and has kept me alive at several big band gigs after I determined the champ was too little, and the Zephyr too unreliable. If the Acoustic Image takes over as the gig amp, it will stay at the practice room.
    6. Yamaha THR10C. My travel amp, and now my son’s bass amp. Brilliant little thing.
    7. Fender Mustang I, v.2. My "practice with headphones” amp in town #2. Another brilliant little cheap amp.

Depending on what ends up working, several of these might have become redundant. The Zephyr, the Acoustic Image, and/or the Tweed champ might have to be sold eventually. But I’ll take my time.

I keep craving for a bigger tweed amp (Deluxe and/or Pro) and am pretty sure I’ll get one eventually. Especially if I have to let the Zephyr go. There’s something about tubes I can’t seem to get from my worthy SS amps.