The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast
Posts 351 to 375 of 410

User Info Menu

Two right now. Maybe 3 later today.

Hendrikson “Jazz”for 15 years.
    Blackstar EL35 combo 2 weeks. Wanted this valve amp with sweet clean and overdrive for gigging (23 lbs)
    On my way to Amplified Nation outside of Boston to look at their handmade Steel String Singer and Overdrive Reverb. This would live in my recording studio and allow for a very wide range of styles. I bet jazz will be one.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Make that 3 amps (but I'm feeling my Henriksen Jazz Combo). I spent an amazing day at Amplified Nation outside of Boston with Taylor Cox the man behind these amps. I've never heard anything like them. Clean tones are luscious with tremendous versatility good for ANY style. Overdrive is equally good and the best spring reverb these old ears have ever heard. Meanwhile I played my L-4C with the DeArmond and my PRS for hours. Then I picked up one of Taylor's Telecasters and it played and sounded so good I got it also. I haven't stopped playing for 3 days.
    How Many Guitar Amps Do You Own?-img_0187-jpg

User Info Menu

Currently 4.
    Reeves Custom 50 head w/2x12 cab
    Louis Electric Columbia Reverb
    Carr Telstar
    Fishman Loudbox Mini

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=Woodstove;1252478]Make that 3 amps (but I'm feeling my Henriksen Jazz Combo). I spent an amazing day at Amplified Nation outside of Boston with Taylor Cox the man behind these amps. I've never heard anything like them. Clean tones are luscious with tremendous versatility good for ANY style. Overdrive is equally good and the best spring reverb these old ears have ever heard.[/QtUOTE]

is it a Dumble clone ?

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=pingu;1253298]
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodstove
    Make that 3 amps (but I'm feeling my Henriksen Jazz Combo). I spent an amazing day at Amplified Nation outside of Boston with Taylor Cox the man behind these amps. I've never heard anything like them. Clean tones are luscious with tremendous versatility good for ANY style. Overdrive is equally good and the best spring reverb these old ears have ever heard.[/QtUOTE]

is it a Dumble clone ?
    Yes and no. He starts with reverse engineering different model Dumbles but adds his secret sauces to them. This OverDrive Reverb was worked from a physical Dumble model I believe but he added stuff like a 3 tube driven reverb which is in a word magnificent, separate channel volume controls not on the original which allows balancing of the 2 channels playing live and I think more. I never heard a Dumble all I can say is this amp is a great instrument. I have primarily played piano over the years and playing this amp reminds me of the first time I played a great Steinway B.The brilliance and depth of harmonics available is inspiring.

PS- What's a fair price for a 15 year old mint condition (only lived in my studio, never gigged,) Henriksen 12 inch "Jazz Amp" with cover? I'll be listing it on the forum.

User Info Menu

Can't remember if I answered this question before. The amp lineup right now:

- Magnatone Varsity non reverb
    - Fender SuperChamp X2
    - DV Mark Micro 50 CMT
    - Fender Tone Master Deluxe Reverb
    - '68 SF Deluxe Reverb

And this Magnatone built, Lyric branded 2x12. '65 Lyric 660. Virtually identical to the Magnatone 262, only it comes with small magnet Jensen ceramics. Just got it. Can't believe how good this vibrato sounds!

How Many Guitar Amps Do You Own?-lyric-660-2-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joebloggs13
    Currently 4.
    Reeves Custom 50 head w/2x12 cab
    Louis Electric Columbia Reverb
    Carr Telstar
    Fishman Loudbox Mini

I've owned two Louis Electric amps. They were both outstanding. About 15 years ago I got into bluegrass music and ended up selling all my electric stuff. I got back into jazz and blues a couple years ago and picked up a Fender Tone Master Deluxe. I really like it. It's my first SS amp since the early '70s. Great amp for home or gigging. I'll bet your Columbia sounds killer.

User Info Menu

TOO MANY. But half them are pedals. None of them are heavy. Nothing with tubes.

1. Buscarino Chameleon amp with powered speaker
    2. Fender Princeton Reverb 1 x 10 12W Tone Master
    3. Fender Super Reverb 4x10 45W Tone Master
    4. Kemper Profiler and Kemper Kabinet with Seymour Duncan PowerState 200
    5. UAFX Dream 65 amp pedal +Seymour Duncan PowerState 200 + Buscarino passive cab
    6. Quilter SuperBlock UK 25WQ amp pedal with TOOB Cab
    7. Quilter Labs SuperBlock US 25W amp pedal with TOOB cab

User Info Menu

Amp1 BluGuitar
    Tech21 TradeMark 60

Quilter Micro Pro Mach 2 8in
    Quilter Aviator Cub (wonderful amp)
    2nd gen Blues Jr. (bought new in...1999?)
    Samson Expedition Express portable PA I plug direct into for small venues
    Roland Mobile Cube
    Bugera BC-15 I pulled the head out of and put in a custom rotary cabinet I built from the rotary speaker assembly from an old Wurlitzer (?) organ

User Info Menu

Quilter SuperBlock US with a Toob Metro 6.5 BG
    Marshall DSL40CR
    Last edited by SandChannel; 03-22-2023 at 02:36 PM.

User Info Menu

Not as many as earlier. Acus acoustic. Home brew Marshall 1984, Tweed Deluxe, 5902-based Harvard, 5e5a, Twin Reverb, single-channel DR. I don’t use any of them any more. Oh, and a Revibe. And a VibroChamp Reverb, which I do use when I use anything at all.

I just play my Epiphone Devon, and don’t need anything else anymore.

I am thinking about building a 5b6 though.

User Info Menu

65 Fender Pro 15” with a Kendrick reverb tank
    Petersen 100 Watt
    59 Gibson Lancer
    Polytone Mini Brute with a 15
    two Yamaha G-50s
    Crate acoustic amp
    A Raezors Edge Twin 8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woodstove
    Make that 3 amps (but I'm feeling my Henriksen Jazz Combo). I spent an amazing day at Amplified Nation outside of Boston with Taylor Cox the man behind these amps. I've never heard anything like them. Clean tones are luscious with tremendous versatility good for ANY style. Overdrive is equally good and the best spring reverb these old ears have ever heard. Meanwhile I played my L-4C with the DeArmond and my PRS for hours. Then I picked up one of Taylor's Telecasters and it played and sounded so good I got it also. I haven't stopped playing for 3 days.
    How Many Guitar Amps Do You Own?-img_0187-jpg
    what is that thing sitting on top? I like Jack Ruch’s instructional YouTube videos. He has one in those videos. What the heck is it?

User Info Menu

Ox

User Info Menu

I own five amps:

Mambo Amps 10" wedge.
    Fender Tone Master Twin Reverb.
    Fender Tone Master FR10.
    HH PowerBaby Studio 30.
    HH PowerBaby Studio 60.

Mambo for rehearsals and small gigs, a Fender for big band gigs, and the HHs kept for sentimental reasons.
    Last edited by Simon1234; 01-31-2024 at 04:05 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by voyage
    what is that thing sitting on top? I like Jack Ruch’s instructional YouTube videos. He has one in those videos. What the heck is it?
    It's an attenuator: OX | Amp Top Box | Universal Audio (uaudio.com)

User Info Menu

Three:

Fender Deluxe Reverb RI Long and Mcquade Special Edition
    Fender Acoustasonic 40w
    Blackstar Fly

User Info Menu

None right now, but I’m looking!

Tom

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by voyage
    sorry for not getting back sooner but I just saw this question. It’s called the Ox amp top box made by Universal Audio. It does two things that interact. It’s an attenuator used to lower the volume while maintaining the tone of higher gain and this goes all the way to zero for a silent recording. And it also takes the sound of the tube amp and then models what it sounds like through various speaker cabinets and using various close microphones, as well as a room microphone and sends that out either with a digital output or line out for direct recording. This can also be used to feed a PA system for live performance. It does a sensational job and is incredibly handy to have in a recording studio. It also contains some of Universal Audio‘s best effects, including Reverb, delay, EQ and compression.

User Info Menu

Latest one is this, a Bugera AC60 acoustic amp, basically an Aer compact 60 clone. Have this one for maybe three weeks now, played about 10 gigs with it (basically everything small bands and not electric). It sounds great, I've used a Gibson 335, Epi 339, Elferink tonemaster, Taylor acoustic, and a classical guitar with it.

Great value for money. I prefer the tone controls and the reverb to that of the Aer (which I also have). But basically I needed a second acoustic amp which can do archtops and semis too..

How Many Guitar Amps Do You Own?-20230509_215630-jpgHow Many Guitar Amps Do You Own?-20230509_215647-jpg

User Info Menu

Normally i almost never buy amps... but then again... I 've been looking for the older Zt Lunchbox model i used to have (the no reverb one which i much prefer to the current one), and it comes up used locally. So.. I do so many small and quiet gigs this year that it's going to earn its money in carrying within a month!

Now i have to sell the Victoria 518... Really great amp (Fender Champ style), but it has just a bit too much breakup for drumless jazz gigs. It 's really happening if you play blues, but i don't do that often, and the pro junior can fill the gap (although the victoria 518 is on another level i think). Still thinking about it, i may regret it....

How Many Guitar Amps Do You Own?-zt-l-jpg

User Info Menu

Guitar-specific? Hmmm…
    1. Marshall Major 200w head (handles bass, keys too)
    2. Marshall DSL 40w combo
    3. Fender Princeton Reverb II
    4. Drive G35 (surprisingly good clean tone)

Beyond that I have a bass amp, a Crate BX100, that could almost pass for a Polytone. 100 watts, 15” speaker, has that very thick yet very clean sonic signature when a guitar is plugged in. So with the Marshall combo also supplying a great clean sound for jazz, I really have no need for more amps.

EDIT: aside from the gargantuan Major (which is in retirement) and the PRII which is awaiting new tubes, I played with the other three this morning with the intent of getting a good jazz tone. And guess what? Yes, all three of them easily obtain good jazz tone at low, medium and higher volume. Even that Drive amp, that I picked up for $30 somewhere along the line.

I’m starting to wonder if jazz amp isn’t just a buzzword. Any amp that can provide a good clean, with some flexibility in the tone controls, should be able to be utilized as a jazz guitar amp.

EDIT, 9 days after previous: I picked up a Boss Katana 50 MkII. I like it so much I’ve ordered the AirStep KAT to go with it.
    Last edited by coyote-1; 05-26-2023 at 12:00 PM.

User Info Menu

One. Fender Tonemaster Deluxe Reverb. It's all I'll ever need...and then some. I love it. And (today) with the arrival of my new Heritage Eagle Classic Standard I have the perfect jazz combination.
    Last edited by jumpnblues; 05-26-2023 at 03:44 PM.

User Info Menu

I currently have: Roland JC 120
    Bogner Shiva EL-84
    Roland Cube 40
    Peavey Bandit 75
    Trace Elliott TA60CR
    1963 Fender Deluxe (black face)
    1960 Fender Champ (tweed)
    1964 Fender Band Master
    1962 Fender Princeton (original)
    Tyler Amp (Princeton clone)
    Henricksen BUD 10