The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
Posts 201 to 225 of 410

User Info Menu

Mid-70s Music Man 210 130W combo. When I bought it at age 13 with my hard-earned paper-route and lawnmowing money it was the most expensive thing I'd ever bought, $200! Less than a year after I bought it, the previous owner tried to buy it back; I turned him down.

Fender Acoustasonic. Yawn, it's pretty "meh."

Quilter 101R. Nice lightweight SS head that can get quite loud at 50W.

Frenzel Super Deluxe FM-5E3. I just bought this 40W head based only on online reviews, but for a boutique tube head the price was pretty good (even brand new they're under $1000). I'm super impressed with its dual Fender and Marshall channels. Its got a "presence" knob that bypasses the tone stack and produces some of the nicest tube-driven gain I've ever heard. Highly recommended, though I wish it had onboard reverb.

I've also got way too many speaker cabinets:
    115 open-back plywood with Eminence Legend
    115 closed-back maple with an unknown-brand refurbished hemp speaker
    210 open-back pine with 1962 Jensen P10Q's
    412 Marshall 3/4-sized cab that would not be that great even if I did like British speakers
    In-process 115 Fender tone-ring reproduction cab that'll get loaded with an old JBL D140F

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Strictly ‘guitar’ amps? Lessee now:
    Fender PRII - great for jazz guitar
    Marshall 40w combo - not good for jazz
    Drive practice amp - irrelevant

I think all my other amps are technically bass amps. That said, one of ‘em is great for jazz guitar: Crate BX100. It has a similar character to the great old Polytone amps. Not an exact duplicate mind you.... but to my ear better than, say, the Ibanez WholeTone amps. It is unfortunately large and heavy, but that can easily be mitigated with a small luggage wheel thing. And it has Contour and 8-band EQ, so you can really customize the tone to suit you.

Ideally, if you are in search of one you’d look for the Crate BFX100. Same amp but with built-in digital effects. A touch of reverb might occasionally be nice in a dry room, and if you do use such effects it’s one less thing you need to carry around.

When I think on it, I’d wager that many bass combos would be suitable for jazz guitar.
    I would consider ‘re-boxing’ the Crate into a smaller and lighter configuration, with the controls mounted on top, but right now portability is not a big issue in my life.
    Last edited by coyote-1; 12-09-2020 at 10:54 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by coyote-1
    Strictly ‘guitar’ amps? Lessee now:
    Fender PRII - great for jazz guitar
    Marshall 40w combo - not good for jazz
    Drive practice amp - irrelevant

I think all my other amps are technically bass amps. That said, one of ‘em is great for jazz guitar: Crate BX100. It has a similar character to the great old Polytone amps. Not an exact duplicate mind you.... but to my ear better than, say, the Ibanez WholeTone amps. It is unfortunately large and heavy, but that can easily be mitigated with a small luggage wheel thing. And it has Contour and 8-band EQ, so you can really customize the tone to suit you.

Ideally, if you are in search of one you’d look for the Crate BFX100. Same amp but with built-in digital effects. A touch of reverb might occasionally be nice in a dry room, and if you do use such effects it’s one less thing you need to carry around.

When I think on it, I’d wager that many bass combos would be suitable for jazz guitar.
    I would consider ‘re-boxing’ the Crate into a smaller and lighter configuration, with the controls mounted on top, but right now portability is not a big issue in my life.

User Info Menu

'64 Fender Super Reverb (cutdown original BF)
    Ceriatone OTS50 Dumble clone, switchable 2X 6L6 or 4X 6V6
    Woogie 300W hybrid bass head
    Kustom 100 'Tuck 'n' roll' with 2X12
    Yamaha G100-212B
    Pignose 30/60
    Echolette 2X12 cab with alnico Isophons
    Mojotone Super Reverb combo cab
    TL bass bin with 15" Etone 484

I haven't restored the Super Reverb because I dread the weight, but I will when I eventually sell it.
    The cabinet sounds fine using it separately, especially with the Ceriatone

How Many Guitar Amps Do You Own?-sam_1233-jpg

How Many Guitar Amps Do You Own?-yamaha-g100-jpg

How Many Guitar Amps Do You Own?-jimmy-strat-jpg

How Many Guitar Amps Do You Own?-dumbrotopiggysphere-jpg How Many Guitar Amps Do You Own?-s45auxmity7hzb09vmkk-jpg

User Info Menu

Three:

Traynor YCV40. Bought new in 2001(?) Replacement Eminence Texas Heat. Was my workhorse for sixteen, seventeen years. Not very reliable, subtle or warm, yet cuts through very well and is extremely loud.

Carr Rambler, bought from John Paricelli many years ago. Replacement Red White and Blues. A great amp.

Roland Blues Cube Artist, ex-demo from 2017 ish. Love, love, love this amp. Light, versatile, powerful. I primarily use the low-gain input, with Fender guitars. It's extremely good with pedals. Am thinking about the Sparkle capsule for it.

All three benefit from various settings on my Chase Tone Secret Preamp. I heartily recommend that to anyone for adding special sauce to your sound.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Grateful A
    Three:

Traynor YCV40. Bought new in 2001(?) Replacement Eminence Texas Heat. Was my workhorse for sixteen, seventeen years. Not very reliable, subtle or warm, yet cuts through very well and is extremely loud.

Carr Rambler, bought from John Paricelli many years ago. Replacement Red White and Blues. A great amp.

Roland Blues Cube Artist, ex-demo from 2017 ish. Love, love, love this amp. Light, versatile, powerful. I primarily use the low-gain input, with Fender guitars. It's extremely good with pedals. Am thinking about the Sparkle capsule for it.

All three benefit from various settings on my Chase Tone Secret Preamp. I heartily recommend that to anyone for adding special sauce to your sound.
    I too have a YCV40WR. I raved about it upthread. Shall we say my experience has been different. i agree, it can be very loud, especially with the extension cabinet, which I have. YMMV, etc.

User Info Menu

Does "too many" count as a response? Because just like with my guitar buying, I've gone overboard. I'll have to do an inventory:

• Fender Champion 40 - currently my "go-to" amp
    • Fender Mustang II v2
    • Behringer GK112 "Blue Devil" (bought for $35 as a bass amp)
    • Monoprice/Laney Cub
    • Line6 AMPLIFi 30
    • NUX Mighty 8SE (meh...)
    • VOX AC2 RhythmVOX
    • Pignose 7-100 (my very first amp, in the early 1970s)
    • Pignose 150R Crossmix

So, four 1x12 amps, and a handful of "tabletop" amps. The AMPLIFi 30 is a monster for its size!

User Info Menu

1. Quilter MicroPro Mach 2 head
    2. Quilter 101 MINI Reverb
    3. Quilter 101 MINI
    4. Boss Katana 100 12
    5. Roland Cube Street (modded and replaced spkrs)
    6. Bugera AC-60

I love tube amps, but at 62, schlepping gear for all these years, and an accident... going light. I have my son my Blackface Fender Deluxe Reverb, Vibrolux, and Dumble. No worries... I am a thankful man!

User Info Menu

Old tube amps are a terrible burden.
    I will gladly assist you by taking the Dumble off your hands.

I have a single amp, a Laney GC50 combo.
    I rarely turn it on these days as I almost always play the unplugged archtop.

Anyway, it's an 80's combo and I bought it for 2 reasons:
    - It's a solid state, so no tube maintenance and great clean sound (used to have an OD pedal but sold it)
    - It has a metal grill, which means my cats can't ruin it. They just love to sharpen their claws in anything tweedy.
    Last edited by MysteryMadman; 02-20-2021 at 07:04 AM. Reason: typos

User Info Menu

Down to one Carr Telstar. However, Henriksen BUD SIX or BUD TEN is on the list.

User Info Menu

My amp purge is finally finished, as all that is left is my Quilter Tone Block 200 into a Fender Bassbreaker 112 cab. I do want something else to add to this, but unsure if I want the Quilter 101R or the Interblock 45.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Wattie
    Down to one Carr Telstar. However, Henriksen BUD SIX or BUD TEN is on the list.

User Info Menu

I have a bunch, too many... I've fixed them for many years, and many owners just abandoned them here after approving the repair $$. That an people calling me in financial distress I've loaned them money holding the amp and they never came back for them. Then there's the great deals I couldn't resist.

User Info Menu

4 at this time, 5 with the Filmosound RI, of which I am going to sell soon.

1946 Epiphone Zephyr
    1949 Gibson GA-50
    1960 Gibson GA-200
    1959 Ampeg M15

with 1947 Gibson ES-125

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Filmosound 621
    4 at this time, 5 with the Filmosound RI, of which I am going to sell soon.

1946 Epiphone Zephyr
    1949 Gibson GA-50
    1960 Gibson GA-200
    1959 Ampeg M15

with 1947 Gibson ES-125

Four at the moment:

• Rivera Jazz Suprema (1x15")
    • Milkman The Amp combo
    • Acus
    • GypsyKat

Both the Rivera and Milkman are on the way out tho.

How Many Guitar Amps Do You Own?-img_8567-jpg
    Last edited by ArnoldSchoenberg; 05-04-2021 at 03:33 PM.

User Info Menu

The amps I use are these

DV Mark Little Jazz
    Roland JC 55
    Roland KB150.

The KB150 is a keyboard amp, not a guitar amp, but it's a very useful thing to have around. I have used it on gigs for guitar a few times and it worked fine (I had an ME80 in front to add character). It's also useful at home for kb, bass (not too loud) and vocals (the singer will complain, but you deal with that by asking "where is your amplification?". Also, for playing songs on my phone through an amp (with wire and adapter).

Amps I used to use:

Mesa Boogie Mark III-- Great amp and if I ever get a roadie, I might go back to it.

64 Ampeg Reverberocket -- Oddly enough, the LJ doesn't sound all that much different (a bit cleaner), and weighs less. Also, less fragile than a 57 year old tube amp. That said, the reverb on this amp is the best I ever heard.

User Info Menu

Only one for me:

Acus OneForSix

I have modest amplification needs: I play nylon acoustic and sometimes plug in vocals.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ArnoldSchoenberg
    Four at the moment:

• Rivera Jazz Suprema (1x15")
    • Milkman The Amp combo
    • Acus
    • GypsyKat

Both the Rivera and Milkman are on the way out tho.

How Many Guitar Amps Do You Own?-img_8567-jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Tricky Fish
    Only one for me:

Acus OneForSix

I have modest amplification needs: I play nylon acoustic and sometimes plug in vocals.
    The Acus lineup is great. Not my first choice for flatwounds and magnetic pickups, but for most anything else, they're amazing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ArnoldSchoenberg
    The Acus lineup is great. Not my first choice for flatwounds and magnetic pickups, but for most anything else, they're amazing.
    i am very happy with it. I can’t imagine replacing it with anything better.

Great sound, robust construction, just the right amount of functionality, compact enough to lug, although perhaps a little heavy.

I found the Acus amps better than the ubiquitous AER amps, and the AER amps are not bad.

User Info Menu

I have

Fender blues jr tweed
    Fender Greta
    Vox pathfinder bass 10 watt
    Orange 10 watt
    Marshall 15w
    Line 6 something.

Also a sansamp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

I have

Fender blues jr tweed
    Fender Greta
    Vox pathfinder bass 10 watt
    Orange 10 watt
    Marshall 15w
    Line 6 something.

Also a sansamp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have 67 Fender Super Reverb I just got its my fifth one. A Deluxe Reverb I am planning to have black faced in Nashville and a made in USA Peavey Delta Blues with 15 inch spkr and NOS tubes that really improved it as far as tone and headroom. I often like to play stereo and mix a solid state with a tube amp. I bought a Line6 HX EFX just to mess with and XTS preamp like 3 pedals and a Bogner blue channel OD pedal. I also have an Boss and Alessis drum machines I like to practice with or turn on my bass octiver and try and be a one man sixties power trio!!! Ha Ha . For a guy lookin for a really good not so expensive ss amp I like Fishman Loudbox mini and the Boss Katana. When I play a job I just take my Deluxe and use a cart to roll it to the music area I am performing in. My dog Lexi does not care for much OD or high volume so I am happy to respect her preferences.After all Who Rescued Who ?