The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Posts 151 to 175 of 410

User Info Menu

This week? I own two: Luker "Chameleon" (tube) combo and a Raezer's Edge "Luna" head; various cabs.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

2 Fender Frontman 212 R's (2008)
    1 Fender Vibrolux Reverb (1974)
    1 Peavey Duel 212. (1996)
    1 Vox mini 3 (2011)

User Info Menu

Polytone mini brute II
    Acoustic Image Clarus SL-R + home made 8" cab + dead polytone as cab
    Fender Deluxe Reverb RI
    YAMAHA DG-Stomp (Pedal Pre) -> USB DAC -> Studio Monitor (*** most used ***)

User Info Menu

• 1986 Laney Linebacker 50w - despite its solid state nature it has a spring reverb and mixable twin channels, and good on-board overdrive and progressive bass boost effects. When properly set up (eq and appropriate attack and release settings on the compressor in effects loop) it can come close to a Princeton in sound, (which is what I wanted) but it covers many bases
    • It was pushed into a corner by the much unloved Fender Princeton Recording which I bought in maybe 2006. Great little amp with a very good power attenuator. Sadly something died last year in the solid start part of the circuits and nobody has been able to make it work. It is now for parts, and possibly as an external cabinet (10" Jensen X-10R vs 12" Jenson N-12K Neodymium) for my....
    • Fender ToneMaster Deluxe Reverb which I am totally in love with. At 65 it's still possible for me to navigate the stairs whilst carrying this lightweight wonder
    • Likely to pull the trigger on a rig for my Hofner Violin bass comprising TC electronics BAM200w head and a TOOB Metro 6.5"BG speaker. Like the Tonemaster, the BAM has an XLR out which will be good in the home studio I'm slowly creating.

I have a wide range of guitars from vintage Gibsons, Fenders and Ibanez through to more recent Gretsch, Peavey Omniac JD (tele clone), and Ibanez Artist 2619 Prestige. With these guitar (and a good pedalboard) I can get most of the useable sounds I want.

User Info Menu

VHT Special 6 head, for quieter home use -- jazz and blues. Sweet cleans and good edge-of-breakup.

50w Peavey ValveKing 112, for general use at home and possibly gigging if my pardner and I can get things going. Yes, I open it up and yes, I practice on it with earplugs. Covers rock 'til about Sabbath- and Rush-levels of dirt, and has good, deep cleans.

Original-model Peavey Bandit which stays at our rehearsal space. $48 used at a pawn shop a couple of years ago, would gig it without any worries but it's a bit nasally by my preferences.

Planning on adding an Egnater Tweaker 40 sometime this year, at which time the VK112 will be promoted to rehearsal use and the Bandit will be a reliable back-up for either of the larger tube amps. Also thinking about an SS acoustic amp for my flattop+pickup.
    Last edited by Thumpalumpacus; 04-18-2020 at 04:56 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SkipBurz
    I had the Rivera PRII in the early-80s that I just loved. Sometimes people criticize them but I loved that amp. I recorded a Christmas album in 1983 with a jazz group I was touring with. Played a 335 through it. We were listening to it today and my son (who's a musician and music major in college) commented on the tone. Great amp!
    I had a Rivera-era SuperChamp that is my favorite of all amps I've ever owned. One of the few gear regrets I have is having to sell it in a time of need.

Quote Originally Posted by Gitfiddler
    I have a few n.o.s. 6C10's as back up. But after owning 3 Rivera Super Champs over the last 10 years, not one of these tubes have ever gone bad. Connecting a SC to a 1x12 or 4x12 8ohm ext. cab sounds better than amps twice their size. Paul Rivera and Ed Jahns amp designs are brilliantly conceived and built like tanks.

I used to plug mine into a closed-back 4x10 w/ Celestions ... that thing could peel paint, it was 18w of roid rage.
    Last edited by Thumpalumpacus; 04-18-2020 at 04:58 PM.

User Info Menu

1979 Lab Series L-5

Custom Blues Jr with Dark Green Tolex, Wheat colored grille cloth , Cannabis speaker etc.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bohemian46
    1979 Lab Series L-5

Custom Blues Jr with Dark Green Tolex, Wheat colored grille cloth , Cannabis speaker etc.
    My cousin has five of those. Next time he visits these parts, I'm gonna do my best to talk him out of one. Or two.

User Info Menu

Swart AST Pro (my primary stand alone)
    Fender Blues Jr.
    Roland JC 77
    Kemper Profiling Amp w/Hughes and Kettner bottom (although I use mainly for line in recording)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JazzJunkie
    Swart AST Pro (my primary stand alone)
    Fender Blues Jr.
    Roland JC 77
    Kemper Profiling Amp w/Hughes and Kettner bottom (although I use mainly for line in recording)

User Info Menu

Here is a group shot

How Many Guitar Amps Do You Own?-20200421_153255-jpg

- Twin reverb, 100W master volume, I think 1975 (current favourite amp)
    - 5E3 clone kit, somewhat modified. (on top of twin)
    - 5F1 clone kit, somewhat more modified, (on top of a 12" tweed speaker cabinet, with jensen C12N )
    - DV mark little jazz (favourite to bring somewhere)
    - Roland cube 40xl

other amps I own not in the photo
    - peavy classic 50 4x10
    - vox valvetronix 20
    - carlsbro glx 80 (first amp I got)

User Info Menu

Currently, a Boss Katana 50, and a Polytone Mega Brute. The Polytone is great for small group gigs.

User Info Menu

Just my wall of Pignoses...

How Many Guitar Amps Do You Own?-wall-pignoses-rocker-jpg

User Info Menu

I've got 4:

Brown Fender Deluxe (1962)
    Blackface Fender Vibrochamp (1964)
    Fender Champ that is transitional - black tolex on the old version with one knob on top (that goes to 12!) (1964)
    Silvertone 1481 (who knows what year?)

I bought all of these many moons ago - pre-interwebs. I found them in pennysavers!

I was using the Deluxe for fun small rock gigs with a very casual group that played mostly to old friends before things went kaput up here. It is a very loud amp.
    The Vibrochamp sounds great and the Champ sounds like Can't You Hear Me Knockin'.
    The Silvertone gets a nice dry sound with my Guild x175.

User Info Menu

down to only 1 guitar and 1 amp

User Info Menu

Hi,

The one and only: Fender Eighty Five

How Many Guitar Amps Do You Own?-f85-jpg

User Info Menu

right now i only own and use an orange crush 20.

User Info Menu

Actually you only need what you gig with. But that said it's fun to have a few for fun! For me at 63 I use Quilter Aviator amps and a Tone Block 202. I have different size cabs from 1x8" combo to 2x12" cab for large gigs.

Studio work amps are really a thing of the past, unless you're a Rock Star. Although I would love to have a Vintage Gibson 1950's Jim Hall amp! But it wouldn't be practical for me

User Info Menu

For different types of gigs and stage-sizes I like to have 3 types of amps: small, medium and large. And if you work with singers a very practical thing to have is something that can amplify vocals and guitar simultaneously (AER Alpha in my case).

Actually over the years I have acquired several amps in rach category but that’s the result of the tone quest and the inability of letting things go ;-) The advantage is I have different portabilities in each categorie, so I can choose the amp based on transportation (public transport, bike, car)

Small: small stages, coffee houses and quiet stages like theatres where you get miced on stage - if the music allows for it (quiet drummer!)
    - AER Alpha, Session BluesBaby22, Dynacord DA-16V

Medium: bars, jamsessions, louder drummers
    - Session Rockette:30, Fender Blues Deluxe, Framus Strato 345

Big: outdoor, loud stages, loud bands with horns
    - Twin Reverb (Guyatone clone)

User Info Menu

I have a Peavey Special, a Fender Pro Junior, and a little Vox digital thing that's supposed to sound like different amps.
    The Peavey I've owned for what seems forever. It just works and I like the sound I can get from it regardless of the guitar used.
    The Fender is fine as it is and was bought to (hopefully) gig with. But I was told I can get a little more clean headroom by replacing one of the valves/tubes. I haven't got around to that yet.
    My desk amp is the Vox.

User Info Menu

I bought an amazing amp stand that made my small and medium sized amps much more usable on larger stages (when they are mic-ed) because the amps sit much closer to my ears. It’s foldable, light and it was only $7.50 (and it’s surprisingly stable):

User Info Menu

Bought this fender champion 100
    Turned up yesterday. It's a beast!

Anyone rate this amp for a good jazz sounding amp???

Cheers Andy

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

I played it in our rehearsal room and it’s one of those amps that sounds decent on its own but lacks when played in a band setting. Can’t really put my finger on it why......

User Info Menu

I have: 1962 Fender Vibrolux
    1962 Fender Pro
    1964 Fender reverb Unit
    1964 Fender Tremolux
    1966 Ampeg Gemini II
    1967 Fender Bassman
    1967 Gretsch 6152/ Valco
    1974 Fender Deluxe Reverb
    1976 Sano 250R
    2005 Mesa TA-15
    VHT Super Six Ultra
    2 ea. Pignose 7-100
    The only reason I have so many amps is because I have to many guitars. That's a good reason, isn't it?
    Thanks John

User Info Menu

PRRI
    Traynor Dark Horse
    Gretsch G5222
    '59 Supro Super
    Crate CA15 (for acoustic)