The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
Posts 126 to 150 of 410

User Info Menu

1 Bartel Starwood. Don’t really need anything else for any reason.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

2 amps:
    A vibrolux clone
    Dv Mark little Jazz

I only use the Vibrolux for home practice between 9am and 6pm or if i use my car to reach the gig. Thé rest of thé time, 80%, i play with thé LJ . I mostly play after my normal working day and hère in Paris i only use public transport to move to pubs or restaurant .
    Regarding that use i should sold my Fender clone but it is so good when i plug in my telecaster... and for my next amp i would like to try thé new Blu 10 because sometime i found thé 8 ‘´ speaker of thé LJ a little bit to small and i don t want to add an external cabinet as thé portability is thé major criteria for me ( and thé Sound of course..).

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Many of you around the world seem to be using DV Mark amps. Being Italian (and knowing the professionalism of Marco De Virgiliis), it makes me very happy

User Info Menu

Wow - the DV Mark LJ sure gets a lot of love here. I have one as well, and it’s all I use these days (when I do use an amp - which is rare). I am in woodshedding mode in a tiny apartment so I don’t even get to play my LJ much. I also have a Yermamaha THR10 that’s been relegated to the ‘stereo’ (just for listening to music). Up in storage I have an older Marshall DSL20 that I really love for my Les Paul. Years ago I had a Matchless Chieftain and a Fender Hot Rod DeVille 4x10. Those were both WAY TOO MUCH amp for my needs, but a lot of fun to play. Way, way back when I had a Princeton Reverb. Don’t ask - it’s too painful to discuss...

User Info Menu

Wow, Matchless are really great amps, but rare and too much expensive here...
    I had a DeVille (2x12): great sound, but uncontrollable volume: sold it to the other guitar player in my band, who loves it but thinks everyday about replacing this beast for the same reason...

User Info Menu

Boss Katana 50

Polytone Mega Brute

Both we’re purchased used at my local Long & McQuade location.

Polytone for jazz/big band; Katana for everything else.

User Info Menu

Three:

1981 Mesa Boogie Mark II B
    Roland Cube 60
    Ampeg G-18

User Info Menu

Polytone mini-brute that I bought new in early 80's
    Jazzkat, TomKat that I picked up in Thailand (I live in Bangkok)
    Bugera v22 Infinium for that tube fix
    ZT lunchbox and lunchbox acoustic for when my 66 year old back hurts and you can get a good sound with an archtop by adding the extension speaker.
    Boss Katana 50 for fun with crazy sounds. Actually a very good amp for the money.
    Too many, but you all know how that goes.

User Info Menu

I'm going to pickup my Katana 50 tomorrow. My back will thank me, the Blues Deville is getting heavy.

User Info Menu

They are quite good and not heavy. A very decent amp for the money. I can plug in a Strat or Tele or a big Arch Top and get a very decent sound.

User Info Menu

This is fun, I'll play:

1939 Gibson EH-185
    Vintage '47 VA-185G (modeled after the EH-185)
    Vintage '47 "Big 185" Prototype (larger transformer, KT88 power tubes)
    AER Compact 60/3
    Quilter 101 Mini / Vintage '47 cab / Lil' Texas speaker

Oh and there's a bunch of stuff in the garage, most of which I should probably sell or get rid of:
    1936-1937 Gibson EH-150 (10" spkr, square cab) - functional, but really deserves a nice restoration
    1946 Gibson BR-6 - great, but I've got three amps I'd bring to a gig first.
    1950's Oahu - 10" field coil; octal tubes - again, great, but the various 185's really take care of my needs.
    Late 90's Peavey Classic 30 - I might have brought this to "loud" gigs, but now that I have the Quilter rig, I'd rather bring that.
    Mid 90's Marshall Valvestate 8040 - because my folks wanted to clean out their garage. Ha!

User Info Menu

Your collection of amps seems to be as exquisite as that of your archtops! Octal lover eh?

User Info Menu

How Many Guitar Amps Do You Own?-img_20200130_122421-jpg

I have one Evans AH200 head ( endorsing them since 2001 )
    I also have these extremely light Flite Sound Speakers ( 4X4.5 inch )

User Info Menu

Fender
    • Super Reverb (Original and old but has the voice of angels)
    • Princeton Reverb (reissue. so much fun)
    • George Benson HRDIII (nice but seldom used)

Marshall
    • SV20c w SV212 cab (junior version of my old 1959 SLP—simply amazing)
    • Origin50h w 1969b cab (legit cheap thrills)
    • DSL40CR (can handle pretty much anything)

Roland
    • Cube 80gx (dumped my Polytone MBIV years ago for this gem. No regrets. Way better.)

Yamaha
    • THR10II (best practice rig ever)

So, eight.

Roli
    Last edited by rolijen; 02-03-2020 at 03:21 PM.

User Info Menu

SV20c w SV212 cab
    Ever played the SV20c in a jazz setting? Thinking Wayne Krantz, Adam Rogers Dice type of sounds with breakup or more drive. Must be great for that. I've missed owning a Marshall and I'm considering buying the SV20 combo.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Alter
    Ever played the SV20c in a jazz setting? Thinking Wayne Krantz, Adam Rogers Dice type of sounds with breakup or more drive. Must be great for that. I've missed owning a Marshall and I'm considering buying the SV20 combo.
    Surprisingly, with the inputs jumpered and both volumes below 4, I can get really good jazz tone. Treble vol on 1or 2, Normal on 4. Bass on about 4, middle on 6, treble and presence low. With my Les Paul I can get anything from jazz to rock or blues. The SV20 is glorious. Best amp I have in terms of letting the guitar’s volume control dictate everything. So nuanced.

Edit: With my L-5 I use the Normal Input And set everything straight up. Except volume of course. can’t go much above 2 or its too distorted.

How Many Guitar Amps Do You Own?-b70efdbf-e703-4a4f-bb3c-99cdd71b46a6-jpegHow Many Guitar Amps Do You Own?-6448168f-1d19-4f3c-aa17-557f2297410e-jpeg
    Last edited by rolijen; 02-03-2020 at 07:59 PM.

User Info Menu

I’m mostly an at-home acoustic player just starting to learn jazz. I have two amps:

Marshal AS100D
    Roland Cube 90

User Info Menu

Heads
    Schroeder D9
    Clarus SLR
    Evans AH 200
    DV Mark Little GH 250 Tube

Combos
    64 Fender Princeton
    Fender Blues Jr.
    Roland JC 120

Cabinets
    Raezers Edge Twin 8
    Raezers Edge Twin 6
    Two Rock 2 x 12

Clarus paired with both Raezers Edge cab’s used daily. My “go to” set up w/ arch tops for years
    JC 120 used with Strat for weekly rehearsals and Sunday church performances - Served me well for years.
    DV Mark head paired with Two Rock cab (now being used in lieu of JC 120)
    ’64 Princeton or Blues Jr. used occasionally for jams
    Schroeder D9 with Two Rock 2 x 12 used for large venues - Glorious
    Evans AH 200 not used often enough. Very versatile.

AKA

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by arielcee
    One:

Yamaha G50ii 112.

I'd like to get a DV mark lj 112 tho.
    I had a Yamaha G50. Very well designed amp with good cleans and a surprising ‘dirty’ channel. Wish I hadn’t sold it....

User Info Menu

I really like several Victorias and Louis Electrics. With a few exceptions the Victorias are generally more tweed oriented and the Louis Electrics lean more in the blackface direction. But both can also go the other direction. Louis Electric also has some British influenced designs. But amps from either maker will have tone to the bone.

User Info Menu

3 amps.

a very modified ‘76 Champ that now has a 250k mid pot that can take it from stock to over the top. It gets a great Kenny Burrell tone when the mids are all in and the volume is on 3, very tweed like. Mostly I use it for brewery gigs playing Allman Brothers covers but it gets some Jazz time too.

Tungsten Creamawheat with a 15” Eminence Legend, what an amp, killer cleans and turn the nobs to high noon and it is just dreamy

1962 Concert (brownface), no mods, doesn’t need them. It is clean and loud but can also be cranked for some earth shaking rock and roll.

I use the concert the least, it is reserved for outdoor loud gigs playing Derek and Dominoes, Allman B. Etc... to big, heavy and loud for Jazz gigs.

The Tungsten is used, for rock primarily but it does see some jazz too. It is almost too loud at times to get a warm tone.

The Champ is the most used, I play smaller venues mostly and 5 tube watts is all that is ever needed. It is very versatile and can go from warm to mean. It has a 12” M75 Scumback speaker and the tone caps are now Marshall values so it is never harsh on the top and doesn’t get muddy and farty on the bottom.

Lately I’ve been playing acoustic Gypsy jazz so no amps needed.

User Info Menu

Ideally 3 amps to cover all situations:
    Champ, Princeton Reverb, Deluxe Reverb

Small restaurant gigs: Champ.
    Small with light drummer: Princeton
    Larger: Deluxe Reverb
    Even larger: Deluxe Reverb + Princeton
    Larger+ : Deluxe Reverb + Princeton + Champ.
    Larger++: Champ and mic.

Modular design.

I have 2 of them. I've never done gigs that required being louder than DR can get.

User Info Menu

I try to stay lean on amps and have each one I own serve a purpose without much cross over.

How Many Guitar Amps Do You Own?-unnamed-jpg

- 1963 Fender Tremolux: Doesn't leave the guitar room much except for a choice gig once a year or so. Amazing, legit blackface tones.

- Carr Sportsman: Literally just arrived today, just put up a NAD post. This will hopefully become my all-arounder for gigs.

- Fender Deluxe Reverb Resissue: Was my gig go-to. If I am sold on the Carr this will probably be sold and moving on

- DV Mark Little Jazz: (not pictured) Grab and go for jam sessions, rehearsals, back up amp for big gigs

- Fender Tweed Pro Jr.: Living room practice amp, occasionally grab and go like the Little Jazz
    Last edited by Paulie2; 02-18-2020 at 01:44 PM. Reason: Photo added

User Info Menu

In order of use:

Carr Rambler - does everything I need it to very well.
    Boss Katana 100w - does everything I need it to well enough
    1957 Fender Princeton - one trick pony but it nails that trick!
    Victoria Double Deluxe - a similar, louder, one trick pony that takes pedals very well
    AER Compact 60 - not playing acoustic so much these days

I would part with everything apart from the Rambler. It's just so good.

User Info Menu

I have 4. I have a Chinese tube amp made by Monoprice, it's a 15 watt Stage Right, I'm happy this question came up as I just realized it's been on for around a week, glad I was able to turn it off! I have a Roland Cube 30 and a Vintage 1970's MIJ 25 watt Unicord Amp and then I have one of them little amps that's made by Marshall, runs off a 9 volt battery, comes in handy. I only play small gigs right now so the Roland Cube is perfect for me!