Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910
Posts 226 to 246 of 246
  1. #226
    I have 67 Fender Super Reverb I just got its my fifth one. A Deluxe Reverb I am planning to have black faced in Nashville and a made in USA Peavey Delta Blues with 15 inch spkr and NOS tubes that really improved it as far as tone and headroom. I often like to play stereo and mix a solid state with a tube amp. I bought a Line6 HX EFX just to mess with and XTS preamp like 3 pedals and a Bogner blue channel OD pedal. I also have an Boss and Alessis drum machines I like to practice with or turn on my bass octiver and try and be a one man sixties power trio!!! Ha Ha . For a guy lookin for a really good not so expensive ss amp I like Fishman Loudbox mini and the Boss Katana. When I play a job I just take my Deluxe and use a cart to roll it to the music area I am performing in. My dog Lexi does not care for much OD or high volume so I am happy to respect her preferences.After all Who Rescued Who ?

  2.  

    The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
     
  3. #227

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by ArnoldSchoenberg View Post
    The Acus lineup is great. Not my first choice for flatwounds and magnetic pickups, but for most anything else, they're amazing.

  4. #228

    User Info Menu

    Sold a couple from my original post and down to three. Feels good:

    Carr Sportsman: main gigger for every style
    Fender Tweed Pro Jr.: living room player
    DV Mark Little Jazz: rehearsal/gig backup amp in the car.

  5. #229
    I have

    - Henriksen The Forte
    - AER Compact 60
    - Roland Cube 60
    - Polytone Mini Brute 2

    Which is the best ??

    They are all sutely different and are all good in what they do.

    The Henriksen has a big sound and has lots of punch good for big band but find it not so effective for group work
    The AER has a very true sound but not so good with my ES175, does not have a jazz sound
    The Cube has a harder sound still passable for jazz OK for big band not so good for group stuff
    Polytone has the classic jazz sound tends to be good for big band and group work

    This may not the experience others have, depends on their guitar and venues played which effect things dramatically

  6. #230

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by derekmatheson View Post
    I have

    - Henriksen The Forte
    - AER Compact 60
    - Roland Cube 60
    - Polytone Mini Brute 2

    Which is the best ??

    They are all sutely different and are all good in what they do.

    The Henriksen has a big sound and has lots of punch good for big band but find it not so effective for group work
    The AER has a very true sound but not so good with my ES175, does not have a jazz sound
    The Cube has a harder sound still passable for jazz OK for big band not so good for group stuff
    Polytone has the classic jazz sound tends to be good for big band and group work

    This may not the experience others have, depends on their guitar and venues played which effect things dramatically

  7. #231
    These days I use my Deluxe and Super Reverb in Stereo with the Line6 HX EFX for delay,octiver, and whatever except OD. Its not very good for that. I bought a Bogner blue channel barely turned on kind of like an attenuator. My Fenders vol is on about 3 and a half often scaled back with the Bogner.My sound is pretty clean unless I really dig in,and then I can get a soft clipping.The Boger Blue channel is an EQ and OD.Kind of like a Plexi Marshall flavor with my BF Fenders. Looking at other peoples choices and my experience it seems like maybe tube amps are more desirable for semi-hollow and solid bodies. And maybe special S.S. jazz amps work better for Archtops.Just a theory. Again in the past I sometimes like one of each for their unique qualities but SS amps dont sound that great for OD to me.

  8. #232
    There is no one greatest guitar or amp for all styles. Just a lot of really good choices to make ones original sonic statement. Like food and seasonings. Yummy!!!

  9. #233
    Tommorow I am going to buy a device called The Brown Box to protect my 67 Super Reverb. There are indication that my amp would do better on a slightly lower current. I will buy it from Sweetwater so I can return it if I want. When I forget to use the standby switch I blow fuses.My tech has checked it out and after he went through it it did ok. I want it to get 117 volts not higher. I guess The Brown Box lowers the Amps a little,too? Its about 350$ but the amp was a lot more than that. Do any members have experience with The Brown Box? The theory is that modern US homes have a stronger current than they used to when Fender sixties amps came out.

  10. #234

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by steve burchfield View Post
    Tommorow I am going to buy a device called The Brown Box to protect my 67 Super Reverb. There are indication that my amp would do better on a slightly lower current. I will buy it from Sweetwater so I can return it if I want. When I forget to use the standby switch I blow fuses.My tech has checked it out and after he went through it it did ok. I want it to get 117 volts not higher. I guess The Brown Box lowers the Amps a little,too? Its about 350$ but the amp was a lot more than that. Do any members have experience with The Brown Box? The theory is that modern US homes have a stronger current than they used to when Fender sixties amps came out.
    I use the Brown Box with all my vintage amps. Not only does it help protect the amps, it makes a tonal difference, too. It's a little softer, less harsh sounding to my ears.

  11. #235

    User Info Menu

    Amp Update Time

    A couple of months ago, I changed amps (sorry, the photos in this post are online photos - I don't feel like taking photos on a Saturday morning [at the present time, I'm taking a break from operating in the CQ WPX ham radio contest]). I still have my main acoustic amp (which will be seeing action at 5 o-clock mass today, with my Yamaha 12-string):

    Fishman Loudbox Mini Charge



    I've switched electric guitar amps from my old Blackstar SIlverline 50 modeling amp, to a Quilter Aviator (which I only had briefly), to my current amp - a Fender Tonemaster Deluxe Reverb (the cream colored version, with the Celestion neodymium speaker), due to it sounding good, and being sooooooo nice and light to carry!

    Fender Tone Master Deluxe Reverb

    Last edited by EllenGtrGrl; 05-29-2021 at 09:58 PM.

  12. #236

    User Info Menu

    I have to admit I've never been an 'amp guy'. I've had maybe 6 since 1980 or so. In '14 I got a good deal on my current amp, a Boogie Mk IVa combo with an external Thiele cab. Altogether it's got 2 12" EVMs in her, and it pretty much does everything. I only ever use the clean channel on half power, and for the last two years I've run through a Fractal AX-8 to get there. On the Fractal I only use a single preset, "Eric Johnson Clean". So much wasted potential! The mug on the top of the amp comes free from Emerald Guitars when you buy an X-20, which is a very nice, very piano like acoustic, btw. And of course, the reading glasses are for me, because I can't read the words under the knobs without them, and they rarely move (so I haven't memorized them yet). I do have a bass amp for my basses, but I don't play bass very often really.


  13. #237

    User Info Menu

    Since last week I'm up to 4

    • My historic workhorse a Laney Linebacker 50w 2x12 combo bought in 1986 giving a wide range of voicings through 2 mixable channels. Now on standby, just in case
    • A 15w Fender Tonemaster Deluxe Reverb which replaced the 2005 Princeton Recording which died a few years ago but gave me 14 years of great service
    • A 200w tc electronic BAM200 bass head coupled with a Toob 6.5 Metro BG, for clean jazz with my 1961 ES-175D, and for my violin bass. It dosn't come more light or compact than this.....
    • Last week's arrival, a 25w Quilter Superblock UK paired with a Toob 12S (AlNiCo Jensen Blackbird 40) to give me the sounds of my first quality amp a 1964 Vox AC30 Top Boost bought in my student days in the early 1970's and sold due to student poverty a few years later). Quilter have done a great job with this amp, and the sound is close to the original with chime and complex harmonics. The Toob 12S is, again, a compact great speaker bought from Finland and produced by our own forum member Gitterbug.
    Last edited by Ray175; 06-06-2021 at 01:29 PM.

  14. #238

    User Info Menu

    Just 2

    Fender Tone Master Deluxe Reverb

    How Many Guitar Amps Do You Own?-20201024_031615814_ios-jpg

    Positive Grid Spark

    How Many Guitar Amps Do You Own?-20200821_144221062_ios-jpg

    Does the Line 6 Pod count?
    Great for travel or sitting on the couch late at night with a set of headphones and a guitar...

    How Many Guitar Amps Do You Own?-20200630_141441184_ios-jpg
    Last edited by bobio; 06-08-2021 at 11:43 AM.

  15. #239

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by bobio View Post
    Just 2

    Fender Tone Master Deluxe Reverb

    How Many Guitar Amps Do You Own?-20201024_031615814_ios-jpg

    Positive Grid Spark

    How Many Guitar Amps Do You Own?-20200821_144221062_ios-jpg

    Does the Line 6 Pod count?
    Great for travel or sitting on the couch late at night with a set of headphones and a guitar...

    How Many Guitar Amps Do You Own?-20200630_141441184_ios-jpg

  16. #240
    Thank you for the tip about the Brown Box it really is excellent! I guess I have four amps at moment. I have my VHT D-50 head running thru my 67 Super Reverb speakers in Stereo with my Fender Deluxe R.I. signal processing can vary but for today I have the Bogner Blue Channel into Line 6 HX EFX into Boss RV-6 Reverb pedal. One tip or idea I would like to share I just learned last week. When Im using my Deluxe Reverb plugging into channel one without its reverb or vibrato and just using my new Boss RV-6 pedal sounds fuller and better,plus it does not sound like noisy Thunder everytime I walk across my floor. If you can get one of these with return privileges it might be a good idea to give it a try.It gives me better control and a fuller sound. Jimmy Herring uses digital verb with his Super. Lots of people do because of the ugly booming sound when spring reverb is angry! Ha Ha! The idea that tube driven verb is always better is not true for me anymore.

  17. #241

    User Info Menu

    Only two.

    - Roland Cube 60
    - Vox Mini5 Rhythm CL

  18. #242

    User Info Menu

    Oh man, maybe I too could add my contribution to this aspect of life.

    Maybe one amp would be enough and maybe I am selling one or two of these sometime, sooner or later but this is the situation now:

    How Many Guitar Amps Do You Own?-amps2021-jpg

    Row behind, l to r:
    – Tweed Deluxe DIY clone, pine cabin (w/ Weber 12A125 speaker)
    – One channel Deluxe Reverb DIY clone, pine cabin (w/ 12" Celestion Gold speaker)

    Middle row:
    – Quilter TB202 in a Tweed Deluxe pine cabin (w/ 12" Celestion Cream speaker)
    – Quilter TB202 in a black lacquered tweeded pine cabin (w/ 10" Celestion Gold speaker)

    Front row:
    Polytone Baby Brute.

    My felt-era Polytone Mini Brute IV is under some books and cardboards so I failed to get it to the family pic.

    Total six amps. Hmm.

  19. #243

    User Info Menu

    I have 5. I bought a cheap Peavy Rage back in the 80s, my son has it now. At home I have a Fender Vibrolux Reverb from the early 80s, bought in a pawn shop in the early 90s for a little over $200, with a Boss GE-7 thrown into the deal. It lives in a closet. I have an AI Clarus Series 1 and a GK MB-200, played through a Raezer's Edge Stealth 10ER. They live in the closet most of the time. What I use is a DV Mark Little Jazz.

  20. #244

    User Info Menu

    I have two:

    • 65 Deluxe Reverb Reissue
    • DV Mark Little Jazz


    The DRRI is obviously my favourite, but it's also obviously a really impractical amp considering I haven't gigged in years. I played it randomly in a store and within 5 minutes I knew I had to scrape together the money to buy it.

    The Little Jazz was a more responsible amp purchase. It sounds great, it's portable and it fits into an Ikea shelf. I'd be perfectly happy if it was my only amp and even with the DRRI, if I started gigging again I'd probably take the Little Jazz for the sake of portability.

  21. #245

    User Info Menu

    I have used a Yamaha G100-212II for years, very good clean sound and also with an overdrive pedal, but it's so heavy (30 Kg) to transport, I don't move it from my home at this moment. Then I buyed a Roland Jazz Chorus 40, great clean sound, but much bright and a little hiss (classic Roland) and horrible sound with distortion pedals (I think the speakers have too much high end response). I recently buy a DV Mark Little Jazz and its sound incredibly good clean and weights nothing.

  22. #246

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by pmerighi View Post
    I have used a Yamaha G100-212II for years, very good clean sound and also with an overdrive pedal, but it's so heavy (30 Kg) to transport, I don't move it from my home at this moment. Then I buyed a Roland Jazz Chorus 40, great clean sound, but much bright and a little hiss (classic Roland) and horrible sound with distortion pedals (I think the speakers have too much high end response). I recently buy a DV Mark Little Jazz and its sound incredibly good clean and weights nothing.