The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

So, yesterday fresh off the fast, free shipping boat from China arrived my $25 EQ pedal. I plugged it into my MB4, and holy moly, it sounds awesome. Every time I do this, I’m blown away by the result.

Imo, the magic in a polytone comes from the feel. They sound great until you put them next to a vintage fender (I have a 64 SR here). Side by side, you can hear the Poly is a bit flat, especially if you’re a fan of the fender sound.

Enter the $25 EQ. Any EQ works fine (modern ones, even the cheap ones are quieter than the old mxr etc). Boost the extreme highs, boost lows to taste, and now we’ve approximated the fender scoop, but with that magic poly feel in tact (which is similar to a tube rectified amp). Now, you can also slam the front end of a poly with a LOT of juice for a substantial volume increase. When you do, you get even more of that compressed magic feel that makes a polytone so great. You also get a better noise floor,

So, if you have a polytone, and especially if it doesn’t wow you. Grab one of these cheap EQ pedals, start tweaking, and enjoy!!!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

PS, EQ is also such a useful tool to have laying around. It can literally transform your drive pedals, fixing things you might not like, adding things you wish were there.

For instance, the reason I bought this pedal was to use in front of a golden cello. To my ears, it has too much bass (unless you’re playing a strat), and just a bit too little gain. $25 EQ to the rescue. Take out a couple dB of bass, slam the front end, and wow. Instant killer lead sound.

Also, the golden cello sounds amazing clean, but all my pickups except my tele drive it too hard. This time we back the volume down in front of it, boost some highs, tailor the lows to the guitar, and viola, an amazing cleanish lead tone.

That $25 EQ, turned 1 good pedal, into 3 great ones.

Dont even get me started on an EQ in the Fx loop...

This is the pedal

https://www.ebay.com/i/372075262337?...yABEgKQfPD_BwE

if you can spare a few more bucks, this Biyang one is really nice, dead quiet, and built well.

Biyang EQ-7 Equalizer Pedal | CheaperPedals.com

User Info Menu

My Fender Champion 50XL thinks it's a Polytone.

User Info Menu

Guitar one sounded best with the Acoustic Image Clarus SLR. Guitar two sounded best to me with the Walter Wood. Both of these had great smooth sounds and the best harmonic overtones without being harsh or overly jangly. To me they all sounded pretty good, but those two combos pleased me the most.

I love my Quilter IB45, but I use two 12” vintage alnico Clevelands that I pulled from an old organ and set the amp gain higher and roll back the volume to clean it up. I get a great tone, similar to a Fender Blackface with the “vintage” tone switch that scoops the EQ pretty good. If I go for the “FullQ” voicing, I roll the amp gain back significantly and still get a more modern, flatter jazz tone. I like it for some stuff, but mostly use the “vintage” voicing.

User Info Menu

I might pick this up.

Any thoughts on similarly inexpensive Klon-type overdrives?

Quote Originally Posted by Bach5G
    I might pick this up.

Any thoughts on similarly inexpensive Klon-type overdrives?

Hi, if you can spring a few extra bucks for the biyang, you won’t regret it. It’s a good bit quieter. That being said, it’s still a 25 dollar EQ that did exactly what it advertised.

I also just got a Caline blue ocean. It’s a Mad Professor deep blue delay clone. It’s ridiculously good. I also have a big box memory man and a Replex. I like it so much I’m considering the new MP dual version.

Im not a huge klon guy, but if you like the circuit, check out tone city. They have an affordable one and their build quality is supposed to be a step up.

Good luck.

User Info Menu

Along the lines of cheap, this popped up in my feed:

Multi-Effects Pedal – FLASH SALES

Maywiggles?