Posts 26 to 50 of 54

User Info Menu

Joe.,
    absolutely magnificent, you're there buddy, no more wishing,
    you have absolutely cracked it. JP must be smiling down on
    you. Be proud of yourself.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

A lot of people comment on the good sound of your guitars. We have heard quite a few of them till now. Not one have sounded less than great. I feel safe to say that it's you, Joe, who makes them sound so good. You can make every guitar sound good.

I remember the story where a lady told Stan Getz that his sax had a beautiful sound. Getz replied by holding the horn up to his ear saying: "Strange, I don't hear any sound at all."

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slusar
    Outstanding performance! Also Your sound makes me start to think about having a guitar with floating pickup
    Thank you!
    A floating pickup on this particular guitar was a good idea, in my opinion. If you can find one, try it. If you are not a fingerstyle player, you might have to move the volume knob, which is in a very peculiar spot on the pickguard.
    JD

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by silverfoxx
    Joe.,
    absolutely magnificent, you're there buddy, no more wishing, you have absolutely cracked it. JP must be smiling down on you. Be proud of yourself.
    Foxman, I think he was actually smiling up (and down) on me at me on Saturday. I visited his gravesite. Its the 2nd closest I'll come to him in this lifetime. The closest is when I am playing his stuff. A while back, I was recording When You Wish Upon a Star, I actually felt his presence in the room. I froze the video frame when I sensed his spirit go past me. I have that picture.
    I am proud that I have made friends like you on this site.
    Thanks my friend.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by oldane
    A lot of people comment on the good sound of your guitars. We have heard quite a few of them till now. Not one have sounded less than great. I feel safe to say that it's you, Joe, who makes them sound so good. You can make every guitar sound good.
    I remember the story where a lady told Stan Getz that his sax had a beautiful sound. Getz replied by holding the horn up to his ear saying: "Strange, I don't hear any sound at all."
    Oldane, Thank you sir. That was a beautiful post.
    I've said it before and I'll say it again. I get more joy out of this forum than you guys get from my posts. If I didn't have this forum to share my stuff, I'd still do it, but it wouldn't be as rewarding. There were probably spectacular couch players before the internet who never got to share there talent with anyone else other than the people who were close to them. For all the players who honed there skills to perfection only to be able to share it with a few listeners, Just know.. I think about you while I am playing.

Thank you Everyone. From my heart.
    Joe D

User Info Menu

Beautiful, inspired playing Joe. The older I get, the more I appreciate JP's sound, phrasing and technique. Time to try my 175 through the Princeton Reverb Reissue.

Thanks again Joe.

Tony D.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pilotony
    Beautiful, inspired playing Joe. The older I get, the more I appreciate JP's sound, phrasing and technique. Time to try my 175 through the Princeton Reverb Reissue.
    Thanks again Joe.
    Tony D.
    I wanted to do something to get your heart pumping so we can get the rest of those antibiotics out your system!
    I hope you are doing good Tony. Stay strong, and thanks my man.
    JD

User Info Menu

Hahahaaa

User Info Menu

You're an inspiration to me, Joe! Thanks for posting this.

User Info Menu

C74, and you are to me. Always a gentleman.
    Thank you sir.
    Joe D

User Info Menu

Im just amazed at your level of commitment and dedication with learning and remembering these complicated arrangements.

The playing was beautiful and you kept things moving nicely. I really liked the different camera angles, especially the one showing your clean fretting and movement along the fingerboard. Those views really showcase the excellence in which you played the arrangement.

I agree with all the comments from our buddies.....and Im real proud of what your doing. I truly know the difficulty with learning this stuff.

You need to make a video/ cd of all these arrangements while you can still play them beautifully Joe. As you get older , problems set in like fingertip pain, left hand fretting strength and arthritis.

Thanks for sharing your talents.....cant wait to hear you on the Wes.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by QAman
    Im just amazed at your level of commitment and dedication with learning and remembering these complicated arrangements.
    The playing was beautiful and you kept things moving nicely. I really liked the different camera angles, especially the one showing your clean fretting and movement along the fingerboard. Those views really showcase the excellence in which you played the arrangement.
    I agree with all the comments from our buddies.....and Im real proud of what your doing. I truly know the difficulty with learning this stuff.
    You need to make a video/ cd of all these arrangements while you can still play them beautifully Joe. As you get older , problems set in like fingertip pain, left hand fretting strength and arthritis.
    Thanks for sharing your talents.....cant wait to hear you on the Wes.
    Thank you for taking the time to think through and write all the nice things you feel.
    You know better than anybody, the greatness that was Joe Pass. He was revered by the Jazz community for his brilliance. I was so happy to hear from someone who was as close to Jimmy D’Aquisto as you were, that not a negative was uttered into your ears about Joe.
    I will make DVD’s and you will have one. I think I’ve gotten the quality of the recording up to an acceptable level. I hope you liked the sound. I am thrilled with the outcome.
    On the DVD, Joey is gonna help me with the editing. It’s gonna be exciting.
    Thanks QA!

User Info Menu

Just superb Joe. I miss Joe Pass with an ache in my heart that I can't even describe. I was in the church at his funeral service and felt the sorrow of everyone in the church. That sense of loss has never receded.

Except for the times I listen to you playing one of Joe's tunes. For those few moments, I'm okay.

User Info Menu

Lawson, I am sorry to drum up sad thoughts.
    As you know, He left us with a blueprint of guitar playing excellence. It’s up to us to make sure his legacy lives even longer than he did.
    Thanks for being their always.
    Joe D

User Info Menu

Joe,

Next time you post can you do it with a beat up Harmony or something, and not play it so well? As you can see, more than one of us are still kicking ourselves for not taking you up on purchasing that beauty.

User Info Menu

Joe, I cannot add anything that hasn't already been said. The setup is great for sure, but the guitar sounds great because it's in YOUR hands.

Also, I think there are not enough people on here (myself included) posting videos of themselves playing their fine guitars. Thanks for contributing something sweet my friend!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Max405
    I wanted to do something to get your heart pumping so we can get the rest of those antibiotics out your system!
    I hope you are doing good Tony. Stay strong, and thanks my man.
    JD

Thanks Joe. Finished antibiotics a few days ago and feeling better every day--not 100% yet, but soon.

Tony D.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lammie200
    Joe,

Next time you post can you do it with a beat up Harmony or something, and not play it so well? As you can see, more than one of us are still kicking ourselves for not taking you up on purchasing that beauty.
    Lammie, Hahaa.. I'll play a beat up old Harmony. Just as long as it has great LOW action, TI' Jazz Swings on it and it is completely detailed.. I dont believe that my guitar should have anyone else's DNA on it. If I bought Johnny Smiths D'Angelico or Joe Pass's D'Aquisto, the 1st thing I would do is take all the parts off, remove that layer of Mojo, polish it with Menzerna, Cover it with a coat of Swissvax and reduce its value by 50%!!
    And, the guitar has to be purdy..
    Thanks my man. JD

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gitpicker
    Joe, I cannot add anything that hasn't already been said. The setup is great for sure, but the guitar sounds great because it's in YOUR hands.
    Also, I think there are not enough people on here (myself included) posting videos of themselves playing their fine guitars. Thanks for contributing something sweet my friend!
    Dougie, You are so right. I'm sure there are some great players on this forum who keep to themselves.

Like our good friend Marco always says.. The guitar is not just there to be played. It has to INSPIRE you. Inspiration pushes you. So in some cases, it is the gear. It really is. One time I am sitting on the couch after I practiced for a couple of hours with the 165. I am thinking about the Campellone, that I didnt play. I want to play it so bad. So, I get up and go back into the guitar room for another hour..
    Now, 3 hours total.. More practice... Good thing.
    Wouldnt have happened if I didn't love and want to play that guitar..
    It means a lot.
    Thank you DM. So glad I got to know you.

User Info Menu

As you can tell I'm fond of Joe...
    So knowing that I say this: I am not much of fan of Johnny Smith's style - I know, blasphemy to many here. It personal taste. I remember when I mentioned Diana Krall to my oldest niece how she viciously panned her style of singing. Personal taste I guess.

So with all the videos ala Johnny Smith Joe has posted I was totally blown over by this Joe Pass "impression" - I know he freaking nailed it. If Joe painted a little mustache on and wore a white shirt and tie you'd think it was Pass playing... I guess Joe Pass's style is more appealing to me. I mean WOW Joey

Now Joe also has the Wineburst and a GB100 I'd originally lent to forum member Rio earlier in the year. When he told me he was done with it I had Joe go pick it up figuring Joe would dig that box. They're truly great guitars, especially if you play standing up with a strap. In Joe's hands with his ability to coax things out of guitars a GB100 is a MONSTER with a capital M.

What I'm waiting for, I'm waiting for Joe DeNisco to play in the style of Joe DeNisco... close your eyes and imagine...

Come on Joey....

Salutations to you all for Christmas....

Big

User Info Menu

Like me, Joe has Gibson in his DNA. Soon he will have his brand new L5. Then look out...... there is a new Sheriff in town.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    Like me, Joe has Gibson in his DNA. Soon he will have his brand new L5. Then look out...... there is a new Sheriff in town.
    The very thought... JoeD with an L5... put it through a Twin Reverb or a Princeton Reverb... ssssssssssomebody sssssstop me...

User Info Menu

Lawson,
    You know, your L5 is still one of the nicest looking guitars I've ever seen. The color is unique and familiar at the same time. What a beauty.

This time around, I will be ready for an L5.
    Some people grow up with there father touting which famous college they will go to.
    Me, it was Forget about D'Angelico's and D'Aquistos that doesn't happen to us. But maybe, just maybe.. You will own an L5 some day.

Its gonna be great.

Thanks everyone.

User Info Menu

Lawson,
    You know, your L5 is still one of the nicest looking guitars I've ever seen. The color is unique and familiar at the same time. What a beauty.

Some people grow up with there father touting which famous college they will go to.
    Me, it was Forget about D'Angelico's and D'Aquistos that doesn't happen to us. But maybe, just maybe.. You will own an L5 some day.

Its gonna be great.

Thanks everyone.
    Most D'Angelicos are L-5's. Those that are not are Super 400's. I am talking about real DA's of course......

User Info Menu

Lawson,

Its gonna be great.

Thanks everyone.
    It brings me a lot of joy. Plays sweet, sounds great, feels solid. Like Marco says, it inspires.