The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 54

User Info Menu

Hi Everyone,
    I reworked my setup. More Cameras. Better sound (I think).
    This arrangement is by the immortal Joe Pass. Played on my Gibson ES165, through a Boss GT_001, using No Amp Simulation and a slight touch of reverb. Recording was done Using Corel Video Studio Pro 2019, with MultiCam Capture. 4 Simple Webcams were used, 3 C920's and 1 C930e. The 930 was used straight on.
    No Amp, sound was captured directly into the computer.
    I hope you like my Video.

Thanks for Looking

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Your 165 sounds really good! I've become so respecting of the 165 175 they really are such easy guitars to play. Joe Pass, I find is one of the hardest to transpose. He has such a different style and his own swing to the tunes he plays. Hat's off to you for covering one!

User Info Menu

Joe, that setup is "Night and Day" better than it was. :-) Good job!

User Info Menu

Nice work! That must have taken many hours to get under your fingers. Joe pass recorded a LOT of solo stuff. You can spend the rest of your life studying his solo work. Everything you need to know about jazz guitar is contained within his body of recorded work.

More please....

User Info Menu

Lovely, Joe. Thanks.

User Info Menu

That sounds great Joe!

Joe

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Max405
    Hi Everyone,
    I reworked my setup. More Cameras. Better sound (I think).
    This arrangement is by the immortal Joe Pass. Played on my Gibson ES165, through a Boss GT_001, using No Amp Simulation and a slight touch of reverb. Recording was done Using Corel Video Studio Pro 2019, with MultiCam Capture. 4 Simple Webcams were used, 3 C920's and 1 C930e. The 930 was used straight on.
    No Amp, sound was captured directly into the computer.
    I hope you like my Video.

Thanks for Looking
    Absolutely beautiful, Joe. The ES-165HE is to the ES-175 what the L-5 WesMo is to the L-5 CES. Great playing, great sound, great guitar!

Roli

User Info Menu

another beauty joe D...the multi cams are great fun..makes that guitar look even better!....tho the playing itself stands on it's own...even without looking @ the vid and just listening...bravo pal

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by skiboyny
    Your 165 sounds really good! I've become so respecting of the 165 175 they really are such easy guitars to play. Joe Pass, I find is one of the hardest to transpose. He has such a different style and his own swing to the tunes he plays. Hat's off to you for covering one!
    Thank you! I am proud to own this guitar. And you are so right. The 175/165 guitar really is “just right” when it come down playability. The Joe Pass version of any song is a cut above. Very different to learn and just as hard to remember! Thanks SBNY!
    Quote Originally Posted by GNAPPI
    Joe, that setup is "Night and Day" better than it was. :-) Good job!
    Gary, HaHa, thank you buddy.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    Nice work! That must have taken many hours to get under your fingers. Joe pass recorded a LOT of solo stuff. You can spend the rest of your life studying his solo work. Everything you need to know about jazz guitar is contained within his body of recorded work.
    More please....
    Joe is in both of our top 3. I’ve played this before so it only took a couple of days to get it back to recordable quality. You are so right. Learning Joes stuff is a challenge. He is so slick with he way he put together his arrangements. He had a pattern of subtle differences from verse to verse that makes remembering his stuff note for note almost impossible. Thanks Bro.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Larry M
    Lovely, Joe. Thanks.
    Thank you Larry!
    Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    That sounds great Joe!
    Joe
    Hi John, Thanks. I put a lot into this setup. It is rewarding to achieve the result I got out it, with very modest cameras, lighting and computing gadgets. I am proud.
    Quote Originally Posted by rolijen
    Absolutely beautiful, Joe. The ES-165HE is to the ES-175 what the L-5 WesMo is to the L-5 CES. Great playing, great sound, great guitar!

Roli
    Thank you Roli. The 165 in both floater and non floater configuration is a worthy off shoot of the benchmark they are derived from. This 165 is a fantastic acoustic guitar. I have to make a minor adjustment to the bridge top and then it will be perfect.
    Great post!
    JD

User Info Menu

"He is so slick with he way he put together his arrangements."

That's just it, I don't think he had arrangements, everything he played seemed totally off the cuff to me!
    Nice job Joe!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    another beauty joe D...the multi cams are great fun..makes that guitar look even better!....tho the playing itself stands on it's own...even without looking @ the vid and just listening...bravo pal
    cheers
    N, thank you for always being a good guy. You are credit to the forum, big time.
    By using high quality webcams, I was able to keep the quality high, while still being able to use a 7 year old old laptop. This computer was left for dead after it stopped working. I took it apart and found a part that fell off the motherboard and crazy glued it back on. I covered it with electrical tape and did a windows reinstall. 7 years later, it’s still going strong. Recording 4 HD cameras and high quality audio simultaneously with no clutching was a shock.
    I am very happy with this setup for sure..
    Thanks guys.
    Thanks buddy.

User Info Menu

Blows my mind anybody could have both the patience and chops to pull this off.

And, I gotta say...I've heard a lot of guitars in your hands...but this one...well, whatever else comes along...don't get rid of this one (or if you do, CALL ME)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    "He is so slick with he way he put together his arrangements."
    That's just it, I don't think he had arrangements, everything he played seemed totally off the cuff to me!
    Nice job Joe!
    Years ago, I don’t know if it was you, or your not so evil twin Greentone told me to stop recording sophisticated jazz pieces in a tank top. Night and Day was the last song I did in my old get up.
    JP came up with this stuff off the top of his head. And he did it to a level of perfection not many others can match. One of my hero’s along with Johnny, he was brilliant.
    Thanks WM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Blows my mind anybody could have both the patience and chops to pull this off.
    And, I gotta say...I've heard a lot of guitars in your hands...but this one...well, whatever else comes along...don't get rid of this one (or if you do, CALL ME)
    Jeff, As you know, I have have mega respect for you buddy. In order me to play Joe Pass like things, I have to roll up my sleeves and learn them , you on the other hand, can come up with this stuff in your own. THAT, blows ME away. Your creativity is amazing to me. And recording stuff with a bunch of loving children crawling on you, that is, well, one of the most beautiful things I’ve seen here. Thanks for contributing to my threads. I really appreciate it Jeff.
    I tried getting rid of it and thankfully nobody wanted it! And that made me love it more. I think the 165 is poimenently stuck with me now. This will be one of my 2 or 3, that I’ll die with.
    Thanks buddy.

User Info Menu

Joe, I wouldn't have told you to stop wearing whatever you had on. So, (sound of guy getting rolled under bus) I guess it was 'moon.

Great job of getting Pass' arrangement of Night and Day up and running. I'm in awe. I like the new recording setup, too.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    Joe, I wouldn't have told you to stop wearing whatever you had on. So, (sound of guy getting rolled under bus) I guess it was 'moon.

Great job of getting Pass' arrangement of Night and Day up and running. I'm in awe. I like the new recording setup, too.
    Not me, I was just trying to get Joe to improvise more, never mentioned his tank top!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    Not me, I was just trying to get Joe to improvise more, never mentioned his tank top!
    Ok, I stand corrected.
    In any case, I’m showing less skin now.. somebody had a good idea!
    Thanks fellas.

User Info Menu

Stunning is the word. Joe you did Joe well amazing stuff I cannot get enough. Virtuoso is my favorite all time solo guitar album. Reasons go deep ask Lawson as a 12 year old, it was my first jazz guitar record I owned.

Now these 40 some years later I still could not pull it off. You got the chops, taste, and dedication the 165 sounds wonderful.

Can you do that same thing on an L5 would like to hear the sound difference......if you don’t have a spare l5 someone can loan you one just to hear it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by deacon Mark
    Stunning is the word. Joe you did Joe well amazing stuff I cannot get enough. Virtuoso is my favorite all time solo guitar album. Reasons go deep ask Lawson as a 12 year old, it was my first jazz guitar record I owned.

Now these 40 some years later I still could not pull it off. You got the chops, taste, and dedication the 165 sounds wonderful.

Can you do that same thing on an L5 would like to hear the sound difference......if you don’t have a spare l5 someone can loan you one just to hear it.
    Hi Deacon, thank you so much. That was a beautiful post.
    Less than a month from now, I will take possession of my very own L5 once again. I make No predictions about its longevity in my life. But one thing I can say.. I will appreciate the hell out of it. My family has made a lot adjustments so I can have another one.
    You will definitely hear, to the absolute best of my ability, what I can do with an L5. The Plan is to have it take me higher, to a musical place I’ve that never been before. With the help of God, I will try to do justice to the guitar by honoring the 2 hero’s I have who gig regularly in heaven, my Johnny and Joe.
    And for my big hearted friends Vinny and Mikey, I’ll throw in a little George Benson.
    Stand tuned my friends. If you actually wanted to see and hear more shit from me, I’ll give you an ear AND eye full.
    I am working hard to deserve it..
    Thank you everyone.
    Joe D

User Info Menu

wow...nice joe D...i appreciate, & wish you luck in your quest!!!

human strivings turn super human with the right focused & dedicated intent...much luck my friend

looking forward!!

cheers

User Info Menu

You look like George...Clooney, Joe.

User Info Menu

Hahaha.. Maybe George Costanza.. “I was in the pool”....
    Thanks Jabbs. I appreciate it buddy.

User Info Menu

Outstanding performance! Also Your sound makes me start to think about having a guitar with floating pickup