User Info Menu

Hello all,

I completely forgot about my forum post hinting at the imminent pickup swap in my ES-139 and the shameful admission of being so superficial as to wait about four more weeks for the black pickup covers. I then had to wait another week for installation by my tech, but when I got it back, the sound was off due to a miscommunication in the wiring diagram, and I had to wait yet another week - so this became a lengthier proccess than I had intended to. Those of you who have to endure my frequent posting will know that this is my main guitar, and the reason I have so few guitars, so being without it operational was frustrating enough. I finally got it back though, and just in time to try it out on the pre-production for a pop/art rock project, to replace my James Tyler studio elite simply because I want to play the ES(!), and it worked.

I had never been dissatisfied with the sound of the pickups and the ES as a whole (By which I mean, in recent years as an adult - I got the guitar as a teenager some years ago, and you can find some frustrated posts by me from back then where I lament it not sounding woody or thunky enough.... figures), but I did want 4-lead pickups so that I could have funky options available - namely splitting, and I will have a phase switch installed at some point. The purpose would hopefully be to give me more sound options, so that I wouldn't have to play or bring any other guitar to sessions and gigs.
    Just as I was toying with this idea, a local ad popped up from a pickup winder that was looking into establishing a brand, and took custom orders. I got in touch and showed him some sounds I liked, and talked about what kind of sound I liked - emphasizing that I am wholly disinterested in historic authenticity, I just want a fine-sounding pickup. He said we seem to have pretty similar taste in music and tone, and after I asked some locals in the know (all of which had nothing but praise for the man), I placed an order.

Here's how it used to look, in and out of context:

... I opted for black pickup covers for two reasons: I couldn't stop thinking about the Fender Esprit, and because I like the "hot rod" spirit - I want people to look at the guitar and immediately know that something is "up". And of course, I dig the look. I've already put plack strat knobs and a black tip on the PU switch, so it seemed appropriate. The covers are metal, not plastic.

This picture is from the pickup winder before I picked them up:

...and here's the highest my pulse has ever been:

....And here is the finished result:

Most importantly, I'm very, very happy with the sound. The type of sound is not radically different from the Burstbucker pickups that were already in the guitar, but it is an upgrade much like going from a wide leather strap to a wide, padded leather strap. It's essentially the same thing, just nicer. The bridge is slightly less harsh-sounding and distorts very smoothly compared to how it used to sound, and the neck pickup is perfectly balanced to my ears - it used to sound much muddier with less separation compared to the new pickups. Overall I'm very happy with how it sounds, how it feels, and how it looks. Definitely going to the same guy next time I want to screw around with pickups and whatnot.

Here's the first piece of audio I have of it, I'll see if I can upload any of the other rehearsal clips or see if there's any clips from my exam on monday this is directly into only the PA speakers through a headrush pedalboard with my new jazz patch and recorded with a cheap phone on a table in the room, but I think the balanced sound still shines through!

marwin moody on Instagram: “Eksamensforberedelser blir ganske trivelige i sa godt selskap. Her jobber vi med en av mine later, og Solveig Bergersen gir den liv som…”

Cheers

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

nice...nothing like adding some personal touches to your guitar...glad you are satisfied..(for now! haha)

guitar/vocal clip (nice voice!) reminded me of frisell w petra haden...

cheers

User Info Menu

I fully understand Your affection to modding guitars, I have the same thing. I am doing this with my cheap Harley Benton semi hollow and soon total cost of parts will be more than I paid for the guitarNew pickups in my Gibson ES-139 :).
    Black pickups looks super cool, especially with this satin finnish.

Wys?ane z mojego ANE-LX1 przy u?yciu Tapatalka

User Info Menu

Sounds good! Authenticity? Authensmishity! Nothing like personalising a guitar so it becomes a part of you!

(Btw, I think black witchhat knobs would look even better on tgat guitar ;-)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    nice...nothing like adding some personal touches to your guitar...glad you are satisfied..(for now! haha)

guitar/vocal clip (nice voice!) reminded me of frisell w petra haden...

cheers
    Thanks, though Frisell is a relatively recent "discovery" of mine, he's quickly become one of my heroes

Quote Originally Posted by slusar
    I fully understand Your affection to modding guitars, I have the same thing. I am doing this with my cheap Harley Benton semi hollow and soon total cost of parts will be more than I paid for the guitarNew pickups in my Gibson ES-139 :).
    Black pickups looks super cool, especially with this satin finnish.

Wys?ane z mojego ANE-LX1 przy u?yciu Tapatalka
    Love it! I like the idea of having the "one" guitar I've been following that modding thread of yours, so refreshing! cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Little Jay
    Sounds good! Authenticity? Authensmishity! Nothing like personalising a guitar so it becomes a part of you!

(Btw, I think black witchhat knobs would look even better on tgat guitar ;-)
    I used to have witch hats on it, but they slip right off the new DiMarzio push/pull pots. Another issue I had with the witch hats is the torque needed to turn them making them feel less "precise" than the fender ones that I currently have

here's a rehearsal take from a week or two ago. Doing my own material again and trying out some improv ideas - some that land, and some that I goof - that's why we have rehearsals

Streetcar.mp3 - Google Drive