User Info Menu

Ordered a set of Mojotone Quiet Coils ‘56 P90s for my Hamer. This is the first set of replacement pickups since 2004 that I didn’t buy from Pete Biltoft at Vintage Vibe Guitars, but only because I had a Guitar Center gift card and a 20% off coupon that worked on the pickups. I think I know how I want to wire this baby up, but there are a couple other ideas I have swirling around my head and wanted to see if anyone has tried them before I go crazy experimenting.

First, has anyone use d the capacitor/resistor filter setup for the volume knobs on their P90 guitar, and how did you like it? I see it online on a lot on Strats and other single coils, it never on a P90. I like the idea of not losing any tone when I roll back the volume, but at the same time. That change is one of the things that make a P90 so versatile.

Second, is there anyone here that has tried a volume/tone/tone, as opposed to a volume/volume/tone setup? I’ve Always keeping my pickup volumes matched on this guitar to maximize the hum canceling, but with these Mojotones that won’t be an issue. I’m just wondering which will be more versatile with this new set. Please enlighten me.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

You have a switch and three pots on that guitar?

You could do a dummy switch and a blend, volume and tone pot. You could do Tele wiring with a dummy pot. You could do Strat type wiring with switch, volume and two tones.

I don't currently use a treble bleed circuit because I like the tonal change from rolling down the volume, but I like a darkish tone. Even with the circuit, IME there is a slight tonal change as the volume knob is rolled down. It works better if there is a resistor and capacitor in the circuit rather than just a capacitor a la the Fender version.

You can also use a resistor on the bridge pickup to cut ice-pickiness. There's a diagram on Bill Lawrence's web site on one of the Tele circuits, but it would be applicable to any pickup circuit.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    You have a switch and three pots on that guitar?

You could do a dummy switch and a blend, volume and tone pot. You could do Tele wiring with a dummy pot. You could do Strat type wiring with switch, volume and two tones.
    You got me thinking about doing the blender. The Mojotones use a Gibson-style braided shield over an insulated center conductor, but I think it’s doable, since both hot leads of the mini ‘buckers are wired to the same terminal of the switch. Got this from the Fralin website:

New P90s coming soon - wiring question-7db37a5a-88d0-4e4b-8082-49c5c1bb6836-jpg

User Info Menu

The thing about blender pots is that they allow "some neck and some bridge" but they do not allow 100% of neck and 100% of bridge. There's a sonic difference between 50/50 and 100/100.

User Info Menu

I actually reached out to Mojotone for confirmation on wiring and potentiometer values, and their recommendation was to leave it stock volume/volume/tone for the exact same reason. But I’m haven’t ruled out a volume/tone setup and adding a series/parallel switch where the other volume would go.

Zac